Author Topic: How Wolves Change Rivers [Yellowstone]  (Read 767 times)

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline PzLdr

Re: How Wolves Change Rivers [Yellowstone]
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 12:51:48 pm »
Thanks for posting this! Well done and informative. I'm a big wolf afficianado. Here on Long Island, we're awaiting the arrival of the Eastern Coyotes [Coywolves] to straighten out our deer mess [the sensitive Gaiasts block most common sense deer control methods]. The Eastern Coyotes are something like 60% wolf, and deer's on the menu. They're already in the Bronx and Queens [one was caught in Central Park], so relief is on the way!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: How Wolves Change Rivers [Yellowstone]
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 02:19:24 pm »
Thanks for posting this! Well done and informative. I'm a big wolf afficianado. Here on Long Island, we're awaiting the arrival of the Eastern Coyotes [Coywolves] to straighten out our deer mess [the sensitive Gaiasts block most common sense deer control methods]. The Eastern Coyotes are something like 60% wolf, and deer's on the menu. They're already in the Bronx and Queens [one was caught in Central Park], so relief is on the way!

It was quite remarkable to me.   I understand the balance of the ecosystem...when it comes to bats vs. insects vs birds, but didn't realize less grazing animals had such an effect.

I would guess the average American today gauges too many deer by how many automobiles are involved in hitting them...not by eroding river banks, less trees...which means less birds and beavers, etc..  It is fascinating.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald