Author Topic: Karl Rove Is Ruining the GOP By BRENT BOZELL  (Read 1520 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Karl Rove Is Ruining the GOP By BRENT BOZELL
« on: October 08, 2014, 12:00:21 pm »
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/10/karl-rove-is-ruining-the-gop-111674_full.html?print#.VDUnNBYgvk8

Karl Rove Is Ruining the GOP

By BRENT BOZELL

October 07, 2014

Karl Rove recently tried to advise Republicans on how the party can more effectively take back the Senate in November. He made two main suggestions.

One was that Republican candidates must “make the case for electing someone new who will be a check and balance in the Senate on Mr. Obama and his agenda, rather than returning a Democratic loyalist who toes his line.” Rove’s second suggestion was that the party should “offer a positive, optimistic conservative agenda to make independents who disapprove of Mr. Obama comfortable voting Republican.”

Rove is right on both counts, especially about offering a positive and optimistic conservative agenda.

But there’s one big problem. This advice is coming from Karl Rove.

Rove has never cared about conservatism and has spent his entire career opposing any Republican who might be successful in promoting or implementing a conservative agenda.

Rove belongs to the same tradition of moderates who fought Barry Goldwater in 1964, who pushed back against Ronald Reagan in 1976 and did everything they could to stop Reagan again in 1980. They said Reagan would be a disaster for the party and even the country.

Today, Reagan is one of the most well-remembered American presidents and remains the standard-bearer for what it means to be a conservative Republican, popularizing a small government message that GOP moderates said was too extreme to resonate with voters. As with Rove’s predictions about Mitt Romney’s chances in 2012, GOP moderates couldn’t have been more wrong about Reagan.

Rove and his ilk have opposed every significant conservative leader who has ever dared to challenge liberal or moderate Republican orthodoxy. A history lesson: Moderates wanted Gerald Ford and then George H.W. Bush over Ronald Reagan in 1976 and 1980. Similarly, Karl Rove and his friends wanted Arlen Specter over Pat Toomey in 2010. They wanted Charlie Crist over Marco Rubio in 2010. They wanted David Dewhurst over Ted Cruz in 2012.

Karl Rove kneecapped tea party candidates in 2010. He called Rick Perry’s policy prescriptions, many which have had great success in Texas, “toxic.” Rove said Sarah Palin lacked “gravitas.” He has said Rand Paul “causes GOP squeamishness.”

And what does he think about conservatives in general? He’s called us the Republican Party’s “nutty fringe.” This is the same man Media Matters has dubbed the Republican “voice of reason.”

When Rove founded his “Conservative Victory Project” last year, conservatives everywhere laughed. We knew this was a man who had spent his whole life making sure conservative ideas never saw the light of day.

Rove basically admitted as much, when he said his reason for forming this group was to “protect” the GOP from challenges from “far-right” conservatives and tea party enthusiasts.

In other words, Rove wanted to continue, true to form, to ensure that conservatives would have no influence on the Republican Party.

It’s now time conservatives make sure Karl Rove no longer has any influence on their party.

The last thing the GOP needs right now and in the future is for the anti-conservative professional political class to continue infecting its ranks, and the last thing we need, as conservatives, is having these same moderates infiltrating ours.

As a party, we must work together as a coalition to win elections. This has never been in dispute. But that coalition can no longer be comprised of conservatives always being told to stand down in promoting their agenda, while moderates like Rove continue to lose elections in spectacular fashion.

Conservatives have had enough. Our days of playing second fiddle to moderates are over. We should always be open to good and helpful advice — but with the hindsight and history of knowing that none of it will ever come from Karl Rove.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Karl Rove Is Ruining the GOP By BRENT BOZELL
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 12:08:34 pm »
Karl Rove is good at losing elections, that's about it.  He ruined George Bush's legacy.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:46:47 pm »
Karl Rove is good at losing elections, that's about it.  He ruined George Bush's legacy.

Karl Rove is good at making money while losing elections. Somebody should take his white board and shove it up his a*s!
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 01:09:13 pm »
Karl Rove is good at making money while losing elections. Somebody should take his white board and shove it up his a*s!

:thumbsup:

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 01:27:56 pm »
After six years of chairman Obama and his big government, incompetent bungling of domestic and foreign policy, I think voters are ready for a Constitutional approach to limited government.  Whether you call it conservative or libertarian, America needs to get back to basics.

For too long the Feds have tried to do too much outside of constitutional limits. So much so that they can't even get their basic constitutional duties done right.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 01:31:58 pm »
"Rove, you magnificent bas-------".  No?  Wrong place?
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:37:43 pm »
After six years of chairman Obama and his big government, incompetent bungling of domestic and foreign policy, I think voters are ready for a Constitutional approach to limited government.  Whether you call it conservative or libertarian, America needs to get back to basics.

For too long the Feds have tried to do too much outside of constitutional limits. So much so that they can't even get their basic constitutional duties done right.

Most young people don't even know what the Constitution is.  They have been raised to believe it is the role of the government to take care of all our needs.  How can we undo this?  It is ingrained in a generation.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014, 01:38:39 pm »

Now it's right.

Offline Relic

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 01:48:50 pm »
Most young people don't even know what the Constitution is.  They have been raised to believe it is the role of the government to take care of all our needs.  How can we undo this?  It is ingrained in a generation.

Unfortunately, conservatism is self extinguishing in society. Conservatism is self reliance, and self interest, first and foremost. We take care of ourselves and our families, and what's left we try to give back to our community. So, we put our kids in private schools, and homeschool. We're too busy working and taking care of ourselves to care for and help rebuild a crumbling public school system.

Liberals have a hive mindset. They not only want, but need everyone around them to think like them. As conservatives left the public schools, it created a vacuum that the liberals gladly filled. Liberals are relentless with their ideology, so giving them control of the public schools is simply handing it over to be transformed into liberal indoctrination centers.

I don't see a way out.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 02:50:36 pm »
(We can remove the magnificent part now, though.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 02:50:55 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline olde north church

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 02:58:10 pm »
(We can remove the magnificent part now, though.)

very good!   :silly:   :beer:
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 03:08:46 pm »

Baloney.  Bush ruined Bush's legacy.  Rove was an ADVISOR, an advisor who guided the Bush campaign to two victories.  He also managed the 2002 pickup of seats for Republicans in the House and Senate. 

I guess some here think Bush was too stupid to be calling the shots in his administration. He was a squishy conservative, yet still managed to get more conservative policies passed than Ronald Reagan.

Brent Bozell is one of those "burn it down" right wingers with terminal myopia.  He thinks Sarah Palin was a viable political entity and he will learn that Rand Paul is much more libertarian than conservative.

Bozell is just mad that his little corner didn't win anything but Nebraska in the Senate primaries.  And when the GOP wins back the Senate, he'll be even madder.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2014, 03:12:08 pm »
It’s now time conservatives make sure Karl Rove no longer has any influence on their party.

Karl Rove will influence the GOP long after Brent Bozell is forgotten.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2014, 03:20:38 pm »
Baloney.  Bush ruined Bush's legacy.  Rove was an ADVISOR, an advisor who guided the Bush campaign to two victories.  He also managed the 2002 pickup of seats for Republicans in the House and Senate. 

I guess some here think Bush was too stupid to be calling the shots in his administration. He was a squishy conservative, yet still managed to get more conservative policies passed than Ronald Reagan.

Brent Bozell is one of those "burn it down" right wingers with terminal myopia.  He thinks Sarah Palin was a viable political entity and he will learn that Rand Paul is much more libertarian than conservative.

Bozell is just mad that his little corner didn't win anything but Nebraska in the Senate primaries.  And when the GOP wins back the Senate, he'll be even madder.

Sink, libertarian ideals are as conservative as you can get.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2014, 03:26:43 pm »

Really?  Gay marriage, legalization of drugs and isolationism in foreign policy.  That's not conservative where I live.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2014, 03:36:19 pm »

Really?  Gay marriage, legalization of drugs and isolationism in foreign policy.  That's not conservative where I live.

I'm not talking about social conservatism - I'm talking about fiscal conservatism. 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2014, 03:48:28 pm »
I'm not talking about social conservatism - I'm talking about fiscal conservatism.

You get the whole package.  Libertarians are not fiscally conservative enough for me to accept the rest of their baggage.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2014, 04:00:53 pm »
That is what Reagan said, but quite a lot of contemporary conservatives now disavow that.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 04:13:59 pm »
You get the whole package.  Libertarians are not fiscally conservative enough for me to accept the rest of their baggage.

The whole package is what you get when you let people be free to make their own life decisions - AND - be accountable for their actions.  When you start calling on the government to "make a law" against something you don't like - is when you embark on the slippery slope of letting the government dictate what you can and cannot do.  You do need some laws for sure, laws pertaining to not allowing us to harm each other.  You need to have a government that protects it's borders from invaders. 

Social conservatives can't have it both ways. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2014, 04:14:31 pm »
That is what Reagan said, but quite a lot of contemporary conservatives now disavow that.

Yep.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 05:27:42 pm »
Huh?

From what I've seen, libertarians are even more fiscally conservative than most Republicans!
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 05:47:22 pm »

That's because you mistake authoritarianism with conservatism.

The former being moral collectivism with the later being an ideology which embraces individualism, independence, small inobstrusive government and expansive freedom. 

You know... libertarianism.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »

Are you accusing GWB of ibeing fiscally responsible?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2014, 06:20:54 pm »
That's because you mistake authoritarianism with conservatism.

The former being moral collectivism with the later being an ideology which embraces individualism, independence, small inobstrusive government and expansive freedom. 

You know... libertarianism.

:amen:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2014, 06:31:07 pm »
Contemporary (social) conservatism is akin to Michelle Obama's governments setting school menus.

Big government authoritarianism, for their own highest priority issues and topics.

You either believe in personal freedom, or you don't.

I predict that if Cruz of any other social conservative gets the GOP nomination, it will turn out Hillary 55%, Cruz 39% in the general election.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln