Author Topic: First lady to children: ‘Don’t be mad’ over healthier school lunches  (Read 1018 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://thehill.com/homenews/administration/219008-first-lady-tells-kids-dont-be-mad-over-healthier-school-lunches

By Justin Sink - 09/26/14 12:13 PM EDT

First lady Michelle Obama said it was "natural" that kids are "grumbling" over new regulations requiring schools to fill vending machines and lunch lines with healthier food, but that it would not deter her from improving child nutrition.

"Change is hard," the first lady said in an interview with Channel One. "And the thing about highly processed, sugary, salty foods is that you get addicted to it. I don’t want to just settle because it’s hard."

The first lady said she knew children "are grumbling because they have to make changes," and said her daughters roll their eyes when she forces them to eat their vegetables.

"But I know that I’m doing it because I’m giving my kids the best that I know I can give them," Obama said.

The first lady also encouraged children to try "vegetables that have a little flavor, sweetness" to them like broccoli, celery and carrots.

"Don’t be mad because there are changes," she said. "Figure out why the changes are important, and then find out how you make it work for you."

New requirements for snacks sold in school vending machines implemented this year require food to be less than 200 calories, have less than 35 percent saturated fat, and have zero grams of trans fat. The switch has elicited some outrage on social media, with students complaining that some of their favorite treats are no longer available.

The swap has also given additional ammunition to congressional Republicans, who are pushing the administration to allow some schools to opt out of new, stricter school lunch requirements. The GOP lawmakers say the new regulations are driving lunch costs for schools, and that children aren't eating food they don't like.

But the first lady dismissed those complaints, saying there was a way to serve food that was healthy and tasted good.

"Look, I wouldn’t want to eat a nasty lunch either. Quite frankly, no one wants to eat bad food," Obama said.

She added that she did not "want to give up because it's expensive."

"I don't want that to be the excuse," she said.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: First lady to children: ‘Don’t be mad’ over healthier school lunches
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »
The first lady also encouraged children to try "vegetables that have a little flavor, sweetness" to them like broccoli, celery and carrots.
She thinks celery has a sweet flavor?   :thud:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 05:05:34 pm »
"But I know that I’m doing it because I’m giving my kids the best that I know I can give them," Obama said.

I am sure someone here has the menu her kids eat at Sidwell School. Yeah she is giving HER kids the best.

Offline Carling

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 05:29:40 pm »
I am sure someone here has the menu her kids eat at Sidwell School. Yeah she is giving HER kids the best.

https://www.sidwell.edu/mobile/index.aspx?v=c&mid=375&t=Lunch%20Menus

September 26, 2014

MS/US
Tomato Soup
Arugula, Fennel and Parmesan Salad
Tuna Salad
All-natural Beef Chili
Vegan Spicy Lentil Chili
Steamed Fresh Broccoli
Brown Rice Pilaf
Housemade Cornbread
Italian Ice

LS
Snack: Yogurt

Mexican Tortilla Soup
Citrus Spinach Salad
Cheese Quesadillas
Vegetable & Cheese
Quesadillas
Roasted Zucchini
Brown Rice
Kiwi
Trump has created a cult and looks more and more like Hitler every day.
-----------------------------------------------

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 05:36:00 pm »

News flash for the FLOTUS!

Just because people don't want you interfering in their lives doesn't mean they are 'mad'.

Characterizing other people's behavior in a way that lets you retain your particular mental paradigm is a form of insanity, however...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 05:51:11 pm »
"Let them eat arugula".
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 06:20:57 pm »
She thinks celery has a sweet flavor?   :thud:

My elementary school in the 1960s use to serve them as a side, but they had peanut butter spread inside them to make them yummy. I liked them that way and still do. That and with a cheese spread or dip.   But plain like she is talking about, no way in hell are you going to get kids to eat them.

And speaking of the veggies we got with our 1960s lunches, we liked the corn, green beans, peas, and celery the way it was served – but they were always a side item, next to the main dish just like at home. Obama is making the main dish the vegetable.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2014, 06:26:28 pm »
My son’s school menu today Friday Sept 26.   
 2 choices

L1: Yogurt Boat w/ Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds

L2: (no meat) Nachos w/ Mexi Rice & Whole Grain Tortilla Chips
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2014, 06:55:37 pm »
My son’s school menu today Friday Sept 26.   
 2 choices

L1: Yogurt Boat w/ Corn Muffin & Sunflower Seeds

L2: (no meat) Nachos w/ Mexi Rice & Whole Grain Tortilla Chips

YUK..............What the heck is a Yogurt Boat???

rangerrebew

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2014, 07:51:13 pm »
Because her hind end looks so much like the back of an air craft carrier, it should be a warning to kids about what she eats. :silly:

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 07:53:12 pm »
YUK..............What the heck is a Yogurt Boat???

The S.S. Chobani?
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 09:22:45 pm »
Dammit! Children are in an anabolic state and need protein to support growth!!! This is a case of adults projecting their food biases on growing children. I'd say it's nearly child abuse.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2014, 09:58:15 pm »
Dammit! Children are in an anabolic state and need protein to support growth!!! This is a case of adults projecting their food biases on growing children. I'd say it's nearly child abuse.

I feel your pain. I was yelling just like you when the idiot politically correct moron Bloomberg banned foods with what 'he' considered to be excess fat or salt to the homeless. I could not believe anyone could be that STUPID.

Hey, MORON!! The starving homeless living on the street NEED FAT AND SALT, YOU IDIOT!

Leftist are so stupid. The worse part is they are far too stupid to even know how utterly stupid they are.

Of course we know it will never happen, but I would love for Michelle to be locked up somewhere and fed her own menu for 3 months. She would screaming bloody murder.

Typical Leftist attitude. It is good for you, and you must be forced to abide by my rules, but I am above it. I am the rule maker, not the rule's objective.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline evadR

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 10:03:38 pm »
"Let them eat arugula".
It's a vege-da-ble
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 11:59:58 pm »

:thumbsup3:

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2014, 12:05:42 am »
The only flavor celery has is bitterness. I cannot eat celery. Even in soup I have trouble with it, although cooked-down, it's not quite so bad. Broccoli also has a bitter taste to it, but I'm not nearly as averse to it (some people seem to be). Now, in fact, when it comes to vegetables, blander may even be better: stuff like cauliflower, lettuce, and the like that don't really have much flavor to them are less likely to trigger that "yuck" factor.

It's clear that the First Lady does not actually EAT the vegetables she is espousing.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2014, 12:09:54 am »
It's clear that the First Lady does not actually EAT the vegetables she is espousing.
'Zackly. Thunder Hips eats a great deal of ribs, fries, ice cream and just about everything she would deny school children.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2014, 12:25:18 am »
The only flavor celery has is bitterness. I cannot eat celery. Even in soup I have trouble with it, although cooked-down, it's not quite so bad. Broccoli also has a bitter taste to it, but I'm not nearly as averse to it (some people seem to be).

It's interesting how other people taste different foods.  I know that some foods that I find slightly tart are extremely sour to others.

:shrug:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline olde north church

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2014, 12:32:26 am »

It's like the jackass vegans who give their cats and dogs vegan food.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.