Author Topic: Vikings star RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case  (Read 2897 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Vikings star RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case
« on: September 12, 2014, 09:01:53 pm »
Vikings star RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case

Posted: Sep 12, 2014 3:25 PM CDT Updated: Sep 12, 2014 3:33 PM CDT

By Mark Berman, Sports Director - bio

HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Sources told FOX 26 Sports Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson has been indicted in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child.

Peterson's Houston attorney, Rusty Hardin, declined comment when contacted by FOX 26 Sports.

Peterson has spent his entire eight-year career with the Vikings.

He has been named First-Team All-Pro three times and has been selected to play in six Pro Bowls.

Peterson has rushed for 10,190 yards and scored 86 touchdowns.

He's also caught 208 passes for 1715 yards and five touchdowns.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/26520182/vikings-star-rb-adrian-peterson-indicted-in-child-injury-case
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Re: Vikings star RB Adrian Peterson indicted in child injury case
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 10:08:38 pm »

Adrian Peterson - disciplining a son with a switch

he should call a press conference and essentially tell the authorities to blow it out their a$$!   It's HIS child and he will discipline and raise him the way he was raised and the way HE as the parent, sees fit.  MYOB!!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 10:42:57 pm »

Link to photos and story

Adrian Peterson Indicted For Child Abuse
September 12, 2014 4:50 PM
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A grand jury has indicted Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson with reckless or negligent injury to a child, WCCO has confirmed through multiple sources.

Sports Radio 610 in Houston obtained a draft of the police report which says Peterson admitted that he did, in his words, “whoop” one of his children last May while the boy was visiting him in Houston.

When the 4-year-old boy returned to Minnesota, his mother took him to a doctor. The police report said the boy told the doctor Peterson had hit him with a branch from a tree.

The doctor told investigators that the boy had a number of lacerations on his thighs, along with bruise-like marks on his lower back and buttocks and cuts on his hand.

The police report says the doctor described some of the marks as open wounds and termed it “child abuse.” Another examiner agreed, calling the cuts “extensive.”

Photographs obtained from the Houston police report showed pictures of the injuries.

Another picture showed Peterson demonstrating the kind of switch he used.

When investigators questioned Peterson, they say he told them he regarded it as a normal spanking and not excessive. A grand jury seated earlier this summer decided not to charge him, but now a second new grand jury has indicted Peterson.

The Minnesota Vikings released a statement Friday afternoon saying the team is “in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson.”

Peterson’s attorney Rusty Hardin issued a statement shortly thereafter: “This indictment follows Adrian’s full cooperation with authorities who have been looking into this matter. Adrian is a loving father who used his judgment as a parent to discipline his son. He used the same kind of discipline with his child that he experienced growing up in east Texas. Adrian has never hidden from what happened. He has cooperated fully with authorities and voluntarily testified before the grand jury for several hours. Adrian will address the charges with the same respect and responsiveness he has brought to this inquiry from its beginning. It is important to remember that Adrian never intended to harm his son and deeply regrets the unintentional injury.”
I was given disciplinary "switchings" as a child, although I don't know whether such punishment was administered when I was only 4.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 12:49:05 am »
EXCLUSIVE Details On Adrian Peterson Indictment Charges

From the above piece:

According to police reports, the child, however, had a slightly different story, telling authorities that “Daddy Peterson hit me on my face.” The child also expressed worry that Peterson would punch him in the face if the child reported the incident to authorities. He also said that he had been hit by a belt and that “there are a lot of belts in Daddy’s closet.” He added that Peterson put leaves in his mouth when he was being hit with the switch while his pants were down. The child told his mother that Peterson “likes belts and switches” and “has a whooping room.”
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 12:52:17 am »
Quite serious if everything in that piece is accurate.
John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 01:59:22 am »
he should call a press conference and essentially tell the authorities to blow it out their a$$!   It's HIS child and he will discipline and raise him the way he was raised and the way HE as the parent, sees fit.  MYOB!!

Gotta disagree. When the kid has welts on his arm, bruises, tells cops his dad put leaves in his mouth when he was beating him (and that's what this was, a beating), it's more than just discipline.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 02:42:45 am »
Gotta disagree. When the kid has welts on his arm, bruises, tells cops his dad put leaves in his mouth when he was beating him (and that's what this was, a beating), it's more than just discipline.

Got to agree with you, Sink...and Lando.

Had no idea that it was that severe.

Still...you have to think that he has fears his child could grow up to be like Trayvon or the Gentle Giant, etc..   His kids are going to growing up with every luxury and he just didn't want to spoil him.

But anytime you scare a child that badly and leave marks and welts on the face...then no...it's not right.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:59:49 am »
Updated report

This will probably end badly for Peterson.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 04:03:17 am by Lando Lincoln »
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:52:13 am »
Updated report

This will probably end badly for Peterson.

It should.  A man like this should never be allowed to discipline a child.  Beatings to the point of welts and bleeding are abuse. 

Some man. I could see him beating a dog in the same way. Defenseless creatures are always in danger around a thug like Peterson.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2014, 01:00:28 am »
My dad used physical discipline. Did I like it? No. Am I now helping some psychiatrist make his pool payments? No.

Also, my parents also left us 4 boys in the car while they went in the store shopping (guess they should've been put in jail, right?). Oh, and dad smoked with the four boys in the car.

Once you let the government into the family unit, your family is no longer yours. They belong to the state.

By the way, I chose not to use physical discipline with my kids.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:11:05 am »
My dad used physical discipline. Did I like it? No. Am I now helping some psychiatrist make his pool payments? No.

Also, my parents also left us 4 boys in the car while they went in the store shopping (guess they should've been put in jail, right?). Oh, and dad smoked with the four boys in the car.

Once you let the government into the family unit, your family is no longer yours. They belong to the state.

Does anybody remember the slim wooden paddles with a rubber ball attached to a rubber string which was stapled to the paddle?

My mother always smiled when we had one in the house, because she knew it wouldn't be long before the rubber band would break.  Eventually we got the idea that we didn't want that toy in the house.  LOL!

I can recall the number of times my dad took a swipe at my behind with one hand and have many fingers left over.  Furthermore, he ALWAYS would virtually stop his arm motion at the last second and it ended up a love tap.

Never once had the inclination to physically discipline my children.

Still cringe whenever I see a child pulled and screamed at in public...but society being what it is...you keep your mouth shut and move along.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 01:23:16 am »
By the way, Peterson had a two-year old child that he never saw until he went to the child's death bed.

He has seven children by five different women.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:46 am »

I'm with you on that.

Then again, my oldest son is 6'4" and 180 lbs of solid muscle with a black belt in MMA.

My youngest isn't far behind.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 03:31:57 am »
By the way, Peterson had a two-year old child that he never saw until he went to the child's death bed.

He has seven children by five different women.
He epitomizes both the violent black man, and the promiscuous sex lives of American blacks.

American taxpayers wind up supporting those in prison for their violence, and the children born out of wedlock.

Costly burdens on society.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:46 am »
"If I had a son...."
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 08:49:03 pm »
Have been thinking about the latest news....that he also injured another son previously.  That he has seven children with five different women.

When a child rapist or child murderer is thrown into the general prison population, it seems that 'justice' is truly served.  At least from the public's POV.

So...as a running back, let the SOB play on Sunday.  Vegas odds are that he won't finish the game as healthy as he went in.

We all hear what happens at the bottom of the pile.... :laugh: 

rangerrebew

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 09:16:07 pm »
While I agree a parent should be allowed to discipline a child anyway he/she wants, there are limits to what is acceptable.   If I'm raised in Middle East and am used to seeing people beheaded, gays hanged, daughters murdered for embarrassing the family, etc., that doesn't give me the right to continue those practices if I move to the United States.  I remember having my behind getting reddened by the principal who later became my advisor when I did student teaching.  I never harbored ill feelings toward him because I had it coming.  What I DID harbor was the memory of how skilled he was at using the paddle.  If that is the outcome, good.  But some people enjoy inflicting punishment more than teaching a lesson.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 09:47:35 pm »
My approach was always that moderate physical discipline (a swat) delivered quickly was much more effective than more serious physical discipline (a whipping) delivered later.

Were that Mr. Peterson's approach, I would bet that a switch and the severity of those injuries would never have occurred...

« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 09:48:41 pm by GourmetDan »
"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2014/09/17/vikings-tell-adrian-peterson-to-stay-away-from-team-until-child-abuse-case/

Vikings tell Adrian Peterson to stay away from team until child abuse case resolved
Published September 17, 2014
FoxNews.com

The Minnesota Vikings issued a statement early Wednesday saying that running back Adrian Peterson must remain away from all team activities until his felony child abuse case is settled.

The statement, from team owners Zygi and Mark Wilf, said that Peterson was being placed on the Exempt/Commissioner's Permission list. The move was an about-face for the team, which reinstated Peterson to the active roster Monday after deactivating him following the All-Pro running back's indictment Friday.

"In conversations with the NFL over the last two days, the Vikings advised the League of the team's decision to revisit the situation," the team's statement read, in part. "After giving the situation additional thought, we have decided this is the appropriate course of action for the organization and for Adrian."

Peterson has an initial hearing scheduled for October 8 in Montgomery County, Texas on a charge of reckless or negligent injury to a child. He is accused of beating his four-year-old son with a wooden switch, leaving bruises and other wounds that were visible days later. Peterson told police that he was merely inflicting discipline and had not intended to hurt the boy.

"We want to be clear," the Vikings statement continued, "we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children, and we want to be sure we get this right. At the same time, we want to express our support for Adrian and acknowledge his seven-plus years of outstanding commitment to this organization and this community."

"This is the best possible outcome given the circumstances," Peterson's agent, Ben Dogra, told The Associated Press. "Adrian understands the gravity of the situation and this enables him to take care of his personal situation. We fully support Adrian and he looks forward to watching his teammates and coaches being successful during his absence."

On Tuesday, a Houston television station reported that the mother of another Peterson's children filed abuse allegations with the state's Child Protective Services agency last year, claiming that Peterson had left a head wound while striking her son.

Peterson missed the team's 30-7 loss to the New England Patriots Sunday, but would have been eligible to return for this week's game against the New Orleans Saints.

The decision to reinstate Peterson prompted criticism from fans, former players and sponsors. Minnesota Gov. Mark Dayton said Peterson's actions were "a public embarrassment to the Vikings organization and the state of Minnesota." Hall of Fame Vikings quarterback Fran Tarkenton told Fox News.com that he was "embarrassed" by the team's decision to reinstate Peterson.

"These are serious accusations, Tarkenton said. "And the only way you’re going to get the attention of an NFL player is to take away his paycheck and take him off the field. This is way above winning or losing a football game."

The Radisson hotel chain suspended its sponsorship of the Vikings following Peterson's reinstatement Monday. On Tuesday, Castrol Motor Oil, Special Olympics Minnesota and Mylan Inc. all severed ties with Peterson, and Twin Cities Nike stores pulled Peterson's jerseys from its shelves.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 08:36:14 pm »
"we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children......."
LOL...what a steamy pile.
"we have a strong stance regarding the protection and welfare of children the NFL and its properties......."

and I have no problem with that but when did the NFL become advocates for chirrrruns?
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 08:46:39 pm »

and I have no problem with that but when did the NFL become advocates for chirrrruns?

When Anheuser-Bush threatened to stop sponsoring stadiums and games..... :whistle:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 09:58:50 pm »
When Anheuser-Bush threatened to stop sponsoring stadiums and games..... :whistle:
Let's stay focused on the true villains; the thugs getting paid $ millions, who abuse children and women.

I am taking my $ away from the activity entirely. No product consumption, no viewing. In the very long run that takes the $ away from the thug players.

The entire truth is when the percent of minorities in pro sports went up, the character standards went down.

Before somebody blames white people for black violence, I refer to the FACT blacks commit murder at more than 7 times the rate of whites. So some physical violence is no big deal.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln