Author Topic: ‘Oversimplification’, ‘Wildly Off-Base’: MSNBC Slams Obama’s ISIS Speech  (Read 439 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/387662/oversimplification-wildly-base-msnbc-slams-obamas-isis-speech-brendan-bordelon

‘Oversimplification’, ‘Wildly Off-Base’: MSNBC Slams Obama’s ISIS Speech
By Brendan Bordelon
September 10, 2014 10:13 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sIdCUu6GTQ

President Obama’s Wednesday-night speech laying out the United States’ military strategy against the Islamic State didn’t get the best reception on the left, and not because it was too hawkish: Chris Matthews repeatedly called it “not sufficient,” NBC correspondent Richard Engel slammed it as “wildly off-base” and an “oversimplification,” and even Al Sharpton admitted the plan left a lot to be desired.

A panel composed of some of MSNBC’s brightest stars lit into the president almost immediately after he wrapped up his address to the American people. “I heard all the necessary conditions, but not the sufficient conditions for defeating ISIS,” Matthews lamented. “Nothing really about the building of a posse. And everyone who really knows this region are saying the only way you defeat a cancer like this, like ISIS, is within the Islamic world itself . . . and I didn’t hear in this speech how we’re going to do that.”

NBC’s chief foreign correspondent Richard Engel, phoning in from northern Iraq, took issue with President Obama’s plan to confront the Islamic State in a manner similar to ongoing U.S. operations in Somalia and Yemen. “I think it is wildly off-base, frankly,” he accused. “I think it’s an oversimplification of the problem.” He explained there is a “partner government” in Yemen that requires the United States to help with reconnaissance and hard-to-reach targets, and a cooperative government in Somalia, too.

“That’s not at all the situation that we see in Iraq and Syria,” he said. “Here we have a large group, tens of thousands of fighters. They control an area the size of Maryland. They control an area with 8 million people living inside of it. It’s much more akin to regime change than it is waiting back, picking targets with allied forces. They are not comparable at all.”

Andrea Mitchell, an NBC foreign-affairs correspondent, largely agreed with Engel but was more favorable to the president, describing the speech as “balanced” and giving him cautious praise for not overstating the threat of the Islamic State.

Al Sharpton tried gamely to defend the president, saying he didn’t believe he would “give us everything that may be happening” and that he was smart “to separate [the Islamic State] from Islam.” But even he was forced to note that the plan seemed vague. “Where this goes, we don’t know,” he said. “We did not hear it tonight, I’ll concede to Chris Matthews. But that does not mean there is not a plan.”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

Well, when the guy has no strategy, and a week later gives a speech to the nation outlining his strategy, what else can anyone believe but that the "plan" is going to be "oversimplified?"

Sheesh, these people are dumb................
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Gee, MSNBC, ya think?  We've been saying he's an empty suit for years.  Now that the Democrat party's electoral fortunes appear to be about to take a hit it suddenly matters that the emperor's wearing no clothes?
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Oceander

Where'd that tingle go, Matthews?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Methinks everything MSNBC does from this point forward is to help Hillary in 2016.

Oceander

Methinks everything MSNBC does from this point forward is to help Hillary in 2016.

Most likely.  And, on reflection, that will probably pretty much include trashing Obama at this point since it's clear that he's not got enough approval to be a positive.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Most likely.  And, on reflection, that will probably pretty much include trashing Obama at this point since it's clear that he's not got enough approval to be a positive.

I still say that Hillary Clinton will NEVER sit behind the Oval Office desk again.

She's never going to get the free ride Barack Obama got.

Can't wait until the debates and campaign gets in full swing....IF she is their nominee.  She ought to be dead meat for the GOP.

...."ought to" being the key words.   with this GOP party.  :shrug:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald