Author Topic: Beware GOP: Millennials Don’t Like What We’re Hearing  (Read 2121 times)

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Beware GOP: Millennials Don’t Like What We’re Hearing
« on: September 10, 2014, 11:35:16 am »
Beware GOP: Millennials Don’t Like What We’re Hearing
The Republican establishment seems unaware of the power of young libertarians.
By BENJAMIN DOMENECH September 09, 2014

Depending on which Republicans you listen to, the rise of libertarian views among millennial Americans is either nonexistent, a great threat to the country or both. Few recognize the truth: that it is a trend of the Republican Party’s own making. And it represents an opportunity for the GOP to decide, after almost a decade in the wilderness, what kind of party it wants to be – a party still clinging to the compassionate conservative lie, or one that believes in the primacy of liberty.

Most of today’s leading Republicans are even now making the wrong choice, it seems. Potential presidential candidates like Republican governors Chris Christie, John Kasich and Mike Pence have already given up the fight against President Obama’s health-care law and are creeping toward more compromise with the Democrats. More and more, when it comes to entitlement expansion, we are hearing religious-toned “my brother’s keeper” rhetoric from them. As Kasich put it bluntly: “When you die and get to the meeting with St. Peter, he’s probably not going to ask you much about what you did about keeping government small. But he is going to ask you what you did for the poor. You better have a good answer.”

A century ago, another presidential candidate made the case that Christian religious belief required a more active government to address social needs—including the prohibition of social ills, the expansion of entitlements and the centralization of power. “America was born a Christian nation,” this man said. “America was born to exemplify that devotion to the elements of righteousness which are derived from the revelations of Holy Scripture.” That candidate was Woodrow Wilson, and although he was a Democrat, his strain of religion-soaked, utopian progressivism is the historical antecedent to the compassionate conservatives of today, who still feel called to work diligently to make government do good, instead of rolling government out of arenas of life in which it has no business.

It was the Republican elite’s acceptance of the progressive approach to domestic and foreign policy that wrecked the party’s base and allowed for the rise of the Pauls—Ron and more recently his son Rand—and the tea-party movement. Now Republicans must choose between recognizing the accuracy of the libertarian critique of their agenda, rediscovering the promise of human liberty and putting their faith back into self-governance; or exacerbating what is now only a detente with progressivism and turning it into a permanent peace, aligning themselves with the false idea that that a government that is compassionate must of course do more, not less.

But if they choose wrong, they will risk losing the freshest base of the party: the millennial generation, which is entering its thirties as the largest and most diverse in American history. Millennials include a multitude of disparate views, which pollsters are struggling to turn into a coherent narrative. But there is no doubt that the energy on the young political right today is in its more libertarian cohort, more so than traditional conservative organizations.

The past six years have seen explosive growth of libertarian groups on campuses and in communities across the country. Students for Liberty has added more than 100,000 members and Young Americans for Liberty has formed more than 500 chapters. Multiple polls from Pew and Harvard University attest to young voters’ acceptance of non-interventionism, drug decriminalization, skepticism of government and other libertarian ideas. And surveys from Quinnipiac, Public Policy Polling and Reason-Rupe have found Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul receiving the most support of any Republican candidate among millennials.

These campus groups and a host of different state and national groups have helped educate and organize this movement, whether via top-down organizations that have built armies of volunteers to battle the overreach of the national security state, or bottom-up organic groups that have enabled thousands of young moms to stand against Common Core in their communities.

At the turn of the 21st century, the idea of an organized and activated libertarian movement would have struck most people as absurd, even for those in the halls of sympathetic think tanks. But it has arrived thanks to a number of factors, most of which, again, have to do with the decisions and mistakes of the Republican Party.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/09/beware-gop-millennials-dont-like-what-were-hearing-110769.html#ixzz3CuaKsHik

Offline olde north church

Re: Beware GOP: Millennials Don’t Like What We’re Hearing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 03:02:29 pm »
Perhaps it's time we stop thinking about a POSSIBLE hereafter and focus on an ACTUAL here and now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:02:55 pm by olde north church »
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 03:03:07 pm »
With respect to their isolationist tendencies, one hopes that they have a clear-eyed view of events in Iraq and Syria, a proper perspective on whether basic human rights are worth defending, or not, and enough of a historical background to understand that the world has seen this sort of evil before and how yesteryear's isolationism fed rather than quenched that evil.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 03:32:39 pm »
With respect to their isolationist tendencies, one hopes that they have a clear-eyed view of events in Iraq and Syria, a proper perspective on whether basic human rights are worth defending, or not, and enough of a historical background to understand that the world has seen this sort of evil before and how yesteryear's isolationism fed rather than quenched that evil.

I don't think many Millennials have the educational background to gain that proper perspective Oceander.  Sorry to say. 

As far as the isolationism of the libertarian - I consider myself more libertarian than anything these days - I think to say that we should stop trying to bring democracy to these middle eastern hot-spots (at least the way we've been trying to do it) that end up hating us even more, the more we do....for me to say that I want us to stop doing that does not make me an isolationist.  It's just to recognize the current way of thinking as a complete and utter failure - and that we have enough domestic problems going on right now (as a result of the same wrong -headed social engineering group-think) that we really need to clean our own house first before we try to control these hell-holes that have so much oil in them. 

I say we develop our own oil and energy resources, strengthen our border and homeland defense - tell these barbarians from the Dark Ages - "Hasta la vista - baby!" 

Just let them evolve on their own in their own self-contained ThunderDome.  Get out of their way.

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:45:52 pm »
I don't think many Millennials have the educational background to gain that proper perspective Oceander.  Sorry to say. 

As far as the isolationism of the libertarian - I consider myself more libertarian than anything these days - I think to say that we should stop trying to bring democracy to these middle eastern hot-spots (at least the way we've been trying to do it) that end up hating us even more, the more we do....for me to say that I want us to stop doing that does not make me an isolationist.  It's just to recognize the current way of thinking as a complete and utter failure - and that we have enough domestic problems going on right now (as a result of the same wrong -headed social engineering group-think) that we really need to clean our own house first before we try to control these hell-holes that have so much oil in them. 

I say we develop our own oil and energy resources, strengthen our border and homeland defense - tell these barbarians from the Dark Ages - "Hasta la vista - baby!" 

Just let them evolve on their own in their own self-contained ThunderDome.  Get out of their way.

The isolationism of the new libertarians isn't just limited to eschewing nation-building - on that point I quite agree - but on refusing to intervene militarily anywhere for any reason, but also blames most of the current anti-Americanism on our interventions in the world, regardless of the motivation for the intervention.  That is where I part company with the new libertarians because refusing to get involved in foreign troubles does not make those troubles go away, as the long, terrible history of the Twentieth Century should make clear.  Many of the unpalatable choices the US now faces with respect to proposed interventions - such as the concern that if the US attacks ISIS it will essentially be working in tandem with Iran - are the result, not solely of US intervention in the past, but of a toxic mix of US indifference/isolationism, and pie-eyed nation-building intervention.

Right now, with all due respect, if the US refuses to respond forcefully, and militarily, to ISIS, if for no other reason than in defense of the basic human rights of people like the Kurds and the Yazidis who are being subjected to genocidal treatment by ISIS, then the US will have not only abdicated its claims to be a stalwart for peace and human rights in the world, it will also have emboldened those elements who seek to impose their own genocidal views on the world, and will have facilitated their capture of large swaths of territory - along with the financial resources that go with territory.  This last ought to have everyone who worries about another 9/11 demanding that the US destroy ISIS and drive it out of the territories it occupies because right now it possesses sufficient wealth and resources - somebody is going to buy the oil they now control - to finance any number of new 9/11 type attacks on the US.  If they manage to consolidate their gains, ISIS might be the first terror organization with the financial wherewithal to finally convince a country like North Korea to sell them a functioning nuclear weapon.  And we should be under no illusions that that nuclear weapon would soon enough find its way into the cargo hold of a US-bound ship, where it would be detonated at the approach to one of the US' big harbors - I would vote for the target being New York harbor.

Turning one's back on the world and trying to shelter under the umbrella of isolationism will not make the US more secure, it will make the US more vulnerable to another 9/11.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 03:47:34 pm by Oceander »

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:55:18 pm »
Ron Paul is still running around, causing mischief.  Just this week, he's out there blaming the US for the rise of ISIS, that our interventionism is what causes terrorism.

Crazy old man, but these naive kids love to hear that stuff:  America's responsible for most of the evil in the world.  They get this from those radical college professors who muck up their minds with silly utopian ideas.

I was having a conversation with a 27 year old the other day, and I was astounded at how little history he knew and, of what he knew, most of it was distorted.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 03:59:51 pm »

The problem with your view is that these terrorist groups will not remain self-contained.  They have their eyes on the west, and they WILL come this way, no matter how much we try to fortify our country. With WMDs in the mix, we don't get to decide whether or not we will fight these people.

They decide.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 04:14:05 pm »
The isolationism of the new libertarians isn't just limited to eschewing nation-building - on that point I quite agree - but on refusing to intervene militarily anywhere for any reason, but also blames most of the current anti-Americanism on our interventions in the world, regardless of the motivation for the intervention.  That is where I part company with the new libertarians because refusing to get involved in foreign troubles does not make those troubles go away, as the long, terrible history of the Twentieth Century should make clear.  Many of the unpalatable choices the US now faces with respect to proposed interventions - such as the concern that if the US attacks ISIS it will essentially be working in tandem with Iran - are the result, not solely of US intervention in the past, but of a toxic mix of US indifference/isolationism, and pie-eyed nation-building intervention.

Right now, with all due respect, if the US refuses to respond forcefully, and militarily, to ISIS, if for no other reason than in defense of the basic human rights of people like the Kurds and the Yazidis who are being subjected to genocidal treatment by ISIS, then the US will have not only abdicated its claims to be a stalwart for peace and human rights in the world, it will also have emboldened those elements who seek to impose their own genocidal views on the world, and will have facilitated their capture of large swaths of territory - along with the financial resources that go with territory.  This last ought to have everyone who worries about another 9/11 demanding that the US destroy ISIS and drive it out of the territories it occupies because right now it possesses sufficient wealth and resources - somebody is going to buy the oil they now control - to finance any number of new 9/11 type attacks on the US.  If they manage to consolidate their gains, ISIS might be the first terror organization with the financial wherewithal to finally convince a country like North Korea to sell them a functioning nuclear weapon.  And we should be under no illusions that that nuclear weapon would soon enough find its way into the cargo hold of a US-bound ship, where it would be detonated at the approach to one of the US' big harbors - I would vote for the target being New York harbor.

Turning one's back on the world and trying to shelter under the umbrella of isolationism will not make the US more secure, it will make the US more vulnerable to another 9/11.

I completely agree with you regarding ISIS.  The eradication of ISIS should be accomplished by a global coalition - but in the absence of that, we should undertake it ourselves and use any means necessary.    There are situations we have to intervene - but it should be done through proper channels with Congress.  I am not against protecting our interests by being abroad, but we're failing the mission in the middle east.  Time to regroup.

I think the new libertarians you describe are of the Occupy ilk, the other extreme of libertarianism. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 04:27:12 pm »
The problem with your view is that these terrorist groups will not remain self-contained.  They have their eyes on the west, and they WILL come this way, no matter how much we try to fortify our country. With WMDs in the mix, we don't get to decide whether or not we will fight these people.

They decide.

Oh I agree, when a group like ISIS threatens us, when they threaten surrounding people and the rest of the world - they've got to be taken out decisively and as surgically as possible.  You'll get no argument from me there.

I just think that we've done enough!  How many times do we have to rebuild these places to tear them back down again?  It's not working, we have to try to think of something else. 

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 04:33:40 pm »
Oh I agree, when a group like ISIS threatens us, when they threaten surrounding people and the rest of the world - they've got to be taken out decisively and as surgically as possible.  You'll get no argument from me there.

I just think that we've done enough!  How many times do we have to rebuild these places to tear them back down again?  It's not working, we have to try to think of something else.

I would have to disagree on the surgically part.  Loudly and in broad daylight with as much blood and horror as possible.  That will be a "teachable moment".  Sometimes you let the dog bite, sometimes you need to do the biting.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 04:35:49 pm »

Who says you have to rebuild them? That is my gentle sister talking.

Tear them down, then leave them to sort out the mess.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2014, 04:56:51 pm »
I would have to disagree on the surgically part.  Loudly and in broad daylight with as much blood and horror as possible.  That will be a "teachable moment".  Sometimes you let the dog bite, sometimes you need to do the biting.

You're right ONC.  I was being guilty of trying to wage a "compassionate" war.  It's pretty easy to get sucked into that trap.  Thanks. 

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 05:02:53 pm »
Who says you have to rebuild them? That is my gentle sister talking.

Tear them down, then leave them to sort out the mess.

Yes, I think the rebuilding is what gets us into trouble down the road again.  It sounds good on paper, but seldom works as planned.  That whole culture has a huge problem and now Obama has brought things to an ignition point. 

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 05:42:34 pm »
I would like to see a poll of ONLY the millennial who are "libertarian."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 06:21:26 pm »

I do agree that it is a big mistake to assume that we are the cause of the problems around the world, particularly in the ME.  It is also a mistake to assume we can impose our values and systems on them.  So by all means criticize the isolationists for claiming the USA is to blame, but please don't turn a blind eye to the failures of our interventionism.

Who has done more damage in the past 13 years: (1) powerless non-interventionists who claim the US is to blame, or (2) powerful politicians who spent $1 trillion to create an Iranian client state?

By all means, deal with ISIS.  But do so strategically, keeping in mind that our foremost concern is homeland security.  And recognize that ISIS is at least in part a manifestation of our own misguided policies.  Just assuming it's a cancer that needs to be cut out without looking at the implications, and who will be the winners and losers after the surgery, is a big mistake.

It is not really a problem of intervention versus non-intervention.  It's a question of strategic vision and leadership.  The USA has been led by the nose into the Middle East and we are being played as suckers by all sides.  We have no idea who we support from day to day.  Meanwhile, Russia and China have no such problem.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2014, 06:31:19 pm »
I would like to see a poll of ONLY the millennial who are "libertarian."

I am a marketing professor, and I've done quite a bit of demographic research on Millennials.  I also work with them daily.  Polling them is nice, but it won't tell you much.  The kids in the Millennial generation are a moving target.  Their attitudes shift rapidly.  They are the least brand loyal generation in history, for example.

The fact that tey are so pliable worked to OPapaDoc's advantage.  He wouldn't be president without them.  But they didn't vote for him for ideological reasons.  They voted for him because he was considered cool.  You couldn't get laid unless you supported OPapaDoc.

Today, OPapaDoc is getting more and more unpopular with Millennials because they see the consequences of his policies.  That doesn't make them libertarians.  Yet.  But it might.  The only GOP politician who resonates with these 80 million kids is Rand Paul.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2014, 07:19:01 pm »
I am a marketing professor, and I've done quite a bit of demographic research on Millennials.  I also work with them daily.  Polling them is nice, but it won't tell you much.  The kids in the Millennial generation are a moving target.  Their attitudes shift rapidly.  They are the least brand loyal generation in history, for example.

The fact that tey are so pliable worked to OPapaDoc's advantage.  He wouldn't be president without them.  But they didn't vote for him for ideological reasons.  They voted for him because he was considered cool.  You couldn't get laid unless you supported OPapaDoc.

Today, OPapaDoc is getting more and more unpopular with Millennials because they see the consequences of his policies.  That doesn't make them libertarians.  Yet.  But it might.  The only GOP politician who resonates with these 80 million kids is Rand Paul.

My sister and I are a generation ahead of these guys (what the 'Boomers' call 'GenX'), and we finally surmised that the reason they are so all over the map is that they were raised by literally 3 generations of parents (who are in many cases grandparents) - 'GenX', 'Boomers', and 'Silent' (50's) generation. So you see everything from very old fashioned conservatism to the smug hippie liberal to the mothership libertarian all in one generation.

Some are really really great people. Some are self-absorbed grandiose asshats destined for a hard reality check. Some are just seriously confused and floating along with the pop culture.

The loyalty thing seems to come from having so many choices and the rapid pace of technological change means they don't have to hang with something very long.

I do very much agree that they are insanely obsessed with 'cool', much worse than the 60's generation ever was. I've made the comment to them that it's great their generation recycles because they have so many characteristics of their grandparents agegroup. They hate that, but it seems to wake them up a bit to be their own person.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 07:20:29 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2014, 09:20:48 pm »
There is one thing which I believe is a turn off with millennials:

........religious fundamentalist fire and brimstone social conservatism.

And sadly the GOP can't shake that stereotype, since many of them are accurately cast as such.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2014, 09:47:02 pm »
There is one thing which I believe is a turn off with millennials:

........religious fundamentalist fire and brimstone social conservatism.

And sadly the GOP can't shake that stereotype, since many of them are accurately cast as such.

Agreed.  Also, Wall Street.

Frankly, I don't think the GOP can win in 2016 without at least 40 percent of the Millennial vote, and whoever the nominee is, he will have to do some serious semantic contortions to hang on to the Christian Right while at the same time appealing to Millennials.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2014, 09:56:02 pm »
They voted for him because he was considered cool.  You couldn't get laid unless you supported OPapaDoc.
This statement is about as true as it gets.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline aligncare

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:20 pm »
The young have always reflexively rejected gained wisdom — or, if you prefer, dogma. Instead, successive generations have always preferred reinventing the wheel. Which impulse may not be such a bad thing.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 12:39:04 am »
I think Americans haven't spent enough time trying to learn from past experiences. Today so many say that we shouldn't engage in nation building, but that's just what we did after WWII & the Korean War. We "won" WWII, and "lost" the Korean War, but in both cases, we left American troops and aid behind (troops are still there today). The countries involved are among the most successful today.
We abandoned Viet Nam, and they're in dire straits, and that's still a blot on our record.

We have history to guide us - why not use it?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 02:06:25 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ I am a marketing professor, and I've done quite a bit of demographic research on Millennials.  I also work with them daily.  Polling them is nice, but it won't tell you much.  The kids in the Millennial generation are a moving target.  Their attitudes shift rapidly.  They are the least brand loyal generation in history, for example. ]]

In a prior post, didn't you also say that the "millennials" are also "totally amoral"?

And truth_seeker also mused:
[[ There is one thing which I believe is a turn off with millennials:
........religious fundamentalist fire and brimstone social conservatism. ]]

If that's the case, the millennials aren't going to do the Republicans or the country much good.

Wasn't it John Adams who said:
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

In view of the comments above, how does one reconcile the attitudes of the millennials with our Constitutional Republic ??

Just askin'....

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 10:29:57 am »
mass wrote above:
[[ I am a marketing professor, and I've done quite a bit of demographic research on Millennials.  I also work with them daily.  Polling them is nice, but it won't tell you much.  The kids in the Millennial generation are a moving target.  Their attitudes shift rapidly.  They are the least brand loyal generation in history, for example. ]]

In a prior post, didn't you also say that the "millennials" are also "totally amoral"?

And truth_seeker also mused:
[[ There is one thing which I believe is a turn off with millennials:
........religious fundamentalist fire and brimstone social conservatism. ]]

If that's the case, the millennials aren't going to do the Republicans or the country much good.

Wasn't it John Adams who said:
"Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other."

In view of the comments above, how does one reconcile the attitudes of the millennials with our Constitutional Republic ??

Just askin'....

Well, Johnny Adams would have to be considered wrong in my case.  Yeah, there's some sort of deity cruising the clouds but religious?  Nah.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 10:46:07 am »
Well, Johnny Adams would have to be considered wrong in my case.  Yeah, there's some sort of deity cruising the clouds but religious?  Nah.

Not really. You are doing yourself down. You fit the first part, at least.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink