Author Topic: Nothing to fear! Apparently ISIS is just 'a bunch of guys wearing pajamas'  (Read 471 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://americanthinker.com/blog/2014/08/nothing_to_fear_apparently_isis_is_just_a_bunch_of_guys_wearing_pajamas.html

August 30, 2014
Nothing to fear! Apparently ISIS is just 'a bunch of guys wearing pajamas'
By Carol Brown

Congressman Duncan Hunter (R-CA, Member, House Armed Service committee) has gone on record as describing ISIS as:

“a bunch of guys wearing pajamas”
    “not an existential threat to U.S.”
    only a threat “if they can get their operatives inside the United States to carry out attacks”

If I may rebut:

First, anyone who underestimates ISIS is not paying attention and/or is in deep denial. To describe them as a bunch of guys wearing pajamas is in the same league (maybe even worse) as Obama’s description of them as a JV team. It is not only a serious miscalculation but an insult to those who have suffered and died, and who continue to suffer and die, at the hands of these brutal jihadists.

Second, Hunter’s assertion that ISIS is not a threat to the United States has been rebuffed by many experts who have unequivocally stated that ISIS is indeed a direct threat to the United States, a sampling of which is noted below.

Chuck Hagel, Secretary of Defense:  "This is a force that is sophisticated. It's dynamic, it's strong, it's organized, it's well-financed, it's competent, [ISIS]. And it is a threat to our allies all over the Middle East. It's a threat to Europe. It's a threat to every stabilized country on Earth, and it's a threat to us."

General McInerney, Air Force Lieutenant General (ret):  “Unchecked, ISIS is an existential threat to the United States, our allies. And very soon.”

Lindsey Graham, Member, Armed Services committee:  "We should, in my view, look at ISIL [alternate name for ISIS] as a direct threat to the United States, a threat to the region that cannot be accommodated…A lot of jihadists have flocked to area. They have expressed they will to hit the homeland…It's about time now to assume the worst about these guys, rather than underestimating them."

Mike Rogers, Chairman, House Intelligence committee:  "It's a very real threat. You saw the very barbaric behavior. And one of the problems is it's gone unabated for nearly two years…ISIS is a growing threat to the United States…This is as dangerous a threat matrix as I have ever seen in my time on the Intel committee…It is serious."

John Barrasso, Member, Foreign Relations committee:  “They have the capacity and I believe the intent…They have stated it in terms of their opposition of the whole western world. They are the richest, most powerful and most savage group of terrorists in the history of mankind…So I think it is a direct threat to the United States.”

Put another way, David French writes at the National Review Online in a piece titled The ISIS Threat to the United States, in Six Sentences:

Let’s make this simple, shall we?

Al-Qaeda carried out the deadliest attack on American soil in American history and the   most devastating foreign attack against an American city since the British occupied and       burned Washington during the War of 1812.
    ISIS is more brutal than al-Qaeda.
    ISIS has more financial resources than al-Qaeda.
    ISIS controls more territory — and possesses more firepower – than al-Qaeda.
    ISIS has seized uranium in sufficient quantities to make a radiological weapon, a dirty bomb.
    The leader of ISIS declared to his former American captors, “See you in New York,” and ISIS militants have pledged to raise the black flag of jihad over the White House.

In other words, ISIS is more capable in every way than the terrorists that hit America so hard on 9/11. Pinprick strikes weren’t enough to stop a much weaker Osama bin Laden. They will not be enough to stop a much stronger Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi.

Finally, Hunter’s second and third points contradict each other. He states that ISIS is a threat “if they can get operatives inside the United States.” Well, they can. And they likely already have as it is becoming increasingly clear that, at the very least, ISIS may be able to enter the United States through our porous, unsecured border. In addition, we know Americans, as well as citizens from other nations, are joining ISIS, traveling around the globe undetected because it is extremely difficult to keep track of who they are, where they’re from, and what their movements are. See here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here in what is rapidly becoming an infinite list of examples.

Unfortunately, Congressman Hunter is not a lone voice. There are far too few elected officials who understand the threat we are facing. Too few who will name the enemy (Islam and the totalitarian doctrine called the Koran). Too few who understand the urgency. Too few, quite frankly, who seem to give much of a damn if this nation survives or not.

When did Republicans become weak on national security? Didn’t this used to be an area where they had a decisive edge over Democrats?

If so, not any more.

One looks and looks around for strong voices. And finds them few and far between.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Rep. Hunter: Islamic State just 'guys in pajamas,' not an 'existential threat'

Aug. 28, 2014 - 05:36PM   |   

WASHINGTON — A GOP House member who served in Iraq says the Islamic State is not an “existential threat” to the United States, striking a different tone than other Republicans.

As the violent Sunni extremist group continues to slaughter minority populations in northern Iraq and hold a large amount of territory, some American Republican lawmakers want the White House to unleash more U.S. military power on it.

For instance, in a recent joint statement, GOP Senate Armed Services Committee members John McCain of Arizona and Lindsey Graham of South Carolina said “a policy of containment will not work against [the State].”

“It is inherently expansionist,” the senators said, “and must be stopped.”

In a mid-summer interview with CongressWatch, Graham was among the first U.S. lawmakers to call for American airstrikes in Syria against Islamic State targets.

Like McCain and other hawkish Republican members, Graham wants President Obama to do more than just the, in the commander in chief’s words, “limited” and “targeted” airstrikes in Iraq to protect U.S. interests there and minority populations that he green-lighted earlier this month.

“The White House is trying to minimize the threat we face in order to justify not changing a failed strategy,” Graham wrote on Twitter this week. “The President is becoming derelict in his duties as Commander in Chief.”

And U.S. Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Martin Dempsey last week said the State has an “apocalyptic, end-of-days strategic vision.”

But GOP House Armed Services Committee member Duncan Hunter of California, who served in Iraq and Afghanistan as a Marine, had a different take Tuesday evening on Fox News Channel’s “The Kelly File” program.

“[Islamic State] in Iraq is not an existential threat to us. They’re not going to harm the United States. They’re bad guys, yes. If you’re there,” Hunter said.

“But a bunch of guys wearing pajamas pushing up logs, they are not an existential threat to U.S. like North Korea is, like Iran is, like Pakistan is,” he said, appearing to refer video of State fighters training in baggy black tops that reach their shins. “They are not like that.”

Hunter said “the only” threat the Islamic States poses directly to the U.S. is if they can get their operatives inside the United States to carry out attacks.

Rather than a ramped-up military operation against the group, Hunter is pushing mostly defensive measures — while also suggesting Washington should help certain minority populations in the Islamic State’s brutal path.

“That’s why it’s so important that you secure the southern border ... and start denying visas in totality to people from the Middle East, from this area unless they’re persecuted Christians,” Hunter said. “And then we have to allow them in.”

http://www.militarytimes.com/article/20140828/NEWS08/308280054/Rep-Hunter-Islamic-State-just-guys-pajamas-not-an-existential-threat-
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 02:00:00 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Will you guys stop thinking of ISIL as some rag tag group of bearded shouters waving guns? Please?

They are a bleep army. Organized, with serious talent at the top levels. Some of the tactics are total genius.

Every time I see this crap I am minded of the last time the US dismissed people as pajama wearing guys. You had to leave Saigon rather quickly, that time.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline flowers

I cannot believe Duncan Hunter said that. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I cannot believe Duncan Hunter said that.

I can't either.  He can clearly see the danger at our southern border and even admits the danger if ISIS gets operatives in the US.  It doesn't make sense.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline flowers

I can't either.  He can clearly see the danger at our southern border and even admits the danger if ISIS gets operatives in the US.  It doesn't make sense.
I used to be in his district. He has a son in the military or had one.

Offline alicewonders

I used to be in his district. He has a son in the military or had one.

I think THIS Duncan Hunter is THAT Duncan Hunter's son.

Offline flowers

I think THIS Duncan Hunter is THAT Duncan Hunter's son.
Wow  OK thanks. Still strange, I thought the son was in active duty in Iraq back in the day, you would think he knew how serious isis is?

Offline alicewonders

Wow  OK thanks. Still strange, I thought the son was in active duty in Iraq back in the day, you would think he knew how serious isis is?

Agree.  I wonder if he wasn't taken out of context?