Author Topic: Joan Rivers Stops Breathing During Surgery Rushed to NYC Hospital  (Read 2647 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.tmz.com/2014/08/28/joan-rivers-hospitalized-not-breathing-medical-emergency/

Joan Rivers was rushed to a hospital in New York City moments ago ... after she stopped breathing during a surgery on her throat ... TMZ has learned.

We're told Rivers was undergoing the throat procedure in a clinic (specifically on her vocal chords) ... when she stopped breathing during the surgery.

Sources say 81-year-old Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai hospital in New York.

We're told her daughter Melissa is on her way to New York.

Story developing ...

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Re: Joan Rivers Stops Breathing During Surgery Rushed to NYC Hospital
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 03:52:17 pm »
She may have stopped breathing but did she stop talking?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline flowers

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 03:54:25 pm »
She may have stopped breathing but did she stop talking?
:laugh:

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 04:02:30 pm »
Hope she's OK.  She's been on fire lately, calling out Obama & Co.

I hate when bad things happen to people who criticize messiah.

Hey... maybe there really is something to that 'messiah' business...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:09:51 pm »
Drudge saying Cardiac Arrest...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Millee

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:22:36 pm »
I hope she recovers.  I love how non-PC she is.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa distraught as comedian remains in medically induced coma: source
Melissa Rivers could face a life-or-death decision as she awaits an update on her mother's condition after she went into cardiac and respiratory arrest during a routine doctor’s visit Thursday.

BY  Larry Mcshane   / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS / 
Updated: Friday, August 29, 2014, 3:10 PM

Distraught daughter Melissa Rivers could face a life-or-death decision on her comatose mom Joan depending on what doctors find, a close friend told the Daily News.

Melissa, who flew in Thursday from California with son Cooper, was expected to hear from doctors at The Mount Sinai Hospital about her mother’s prognosis one day after the comic nearly died.

Joan Rivers’ only child was an emotional wreck Friday while awaiting the medical update on the ground-breaking comedienne who remained in a medically-induced coma, another source indicated.

Emmy winner Joan Rivers “would never want to be a burden on anyone,” a close friend told the Daily News. “If she can’t recover and live a full and active life, she would rather be gone.

“The thought of her sitting at home unable to look after herself or suffering brain damage is heartbreaking.”

Rivers, 81, was placed in the coma Thursday after going into cardiac and respiratory arrest during a routine doctor’s visit.

Doctors are unsure how long Rivers went without breathing, and are still trying to assess how her sudden collapse might affect the caustic comedienne and fashion critic.   ...

url=http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-daughter-melissa-distraught-source-article-1.1921362#ixzz3BsXRjsNL]Rest of article at NY Daily News[/url]
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2014, 03:23:31 pm »
Joan Rivers' daughter Melissa distraught as comedian remains in medically induced coma: source
Melissa Rivers could face a life-or-death decision as she awaits an update on her mother's condition after she went into cardiac and respiratory arrest during a routine doctor’s visit Thursday.

BY  Larry Mcshane   / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS / 
Updated: Friday, August 29, 2014, 3:10 PM

Distraught daughter Melissa Rivers could face a life-or-death decision on her comatose mom Joan depending on what doctors find, a close friend told the Daily News.

Melissa, who flew in Thursday from California with son Cooper, was expected to hear from doctors at The Mount Sinai Hospital about her mother’s prognosis one day after the comic nearly died.

Joan Rivers’ only child was an emotional wreck Friday while awaiting the medical update on the ground-breaking comedienne who remained in a medically-induced coma, another source indicated.

Emmy winner Joan Rivers “would never want to be a burden on anyone,” a close friend told the Daily News. “If she can’t recover and live a full and active life, she would rather be gone.

“The thought of her sitting at home unable to look after herself or suffering brain damage is heartbreaking.”

Rivers, 81, was placed in the coma Thursday after going into cardiac and respiratory arrest during a routine doctor’s visit.

Doctors are unsure how long Rivers went without breathing, and are still trying to assess how her sudden collapse might affect the caustic comedienne and fashion critic.   ...

url=http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-daughter-melissa-distraught-source-article-1.1921362#ixzz3BsXRjsNL]Rest of article at NY Daily News[/url]

I have grown to like Joan over the past few years, I hope she pulls out of this.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2014, 03:27:33 pm »
I have grown to like Joan over the past few years, I hope she pulls out of this.

Me too.  It's not sounding good for her though. 

Offline flowers

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2014, 03:34:34 pm »
Me too.  It's not sounding good for her though.
No it isn't. They don't know how long she was without air.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 03:40:39 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/in-the-know/in-the-know/216273-sarah-palin-pray-for-joan-rivers

August 29, 2014, 04:44 pm
Sarah Palin: Pray for Joan Rivers

By Judy Kurtz

Sarah Palin and her family are calling for prayers for an unlikely ally — the ailing comedienne Joan Rivers.

The former GOP vice presidential candidate posted a link on her Facebook page Friday directing fans to a post by her 23-year-old daughter, Bristol.

“You have already probably heard that Joan Rivers is in a medically induced coma after she stopped breathing during her vocal chord surgery,” wrote Bristol Palin. Rivers's daughter, Melissa, said Friday her mother's condition "remains serious" but she is "resting comfortably" at a New York hospital after being admitted Thursday. She reportedly suffered cardiac and respiratory arrest during a procedure on her throat.

Rivers, 81, and Palin both appeared on ABC’s “Wife Swap” last year.

“As you may remember, I developed a soft spot in my heart for her when we were on Wife Swap together,” Palin writes. “Please pray for her healing and for her family during this awful time.  :(“

Sarah Palin also recently cited Rivers, along with SiriusXM host Howard Stern, on her online subscription-only channel. The former Alaska governor called the pair “unlikely sources of foreign policy wisdom,” before commending them for their vocal support of Israel.

“Even though Joan, she’s a Hollywood style critic, well no doubt she’s repulsed by my style — or lack thereof — but I declare that she is right and I admire her so much for speaking up for truth,” Palin said in a video commentary.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 03:41:15 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2014, 03:53:47 pm »
"Sarah Palin also recently cited Rivers, along with SiriusXM host Howard Stern, on her online subscription-only channel. The former Alaska governor called the pair “unlikely sources of foreign policy wisdom,” before commending them for their vocal support of Israel.
"

Strange bedfellows, but bedfellows nonetheless.  Prayers for a true patriot and a hell of a courageous woman.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2014, 10:53:51 pm »
Doesn't look good at all..

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/joan-rivers-life-support-family-4136941

Joan Rivers on life support as family 'face agony over switching off machine'
Aug 30, 2014 21:37 By Christopher Bucktin

The 81-year-old stopped breathing while having surgery on her vocal chords this week and is currently in a medically induced coma

Her family remain hopeful
American comedienne Joan Rivers has been placed on life support as her family keep vigil by her bedside.

The acid-tongued comic, who was initially placed in a medically-induced coma after collapsing on Thursday, is now completely reliant on the machine to keep her alive.

According to reports in the US, her family, led by daughter Melissa, are hopeful she will take a turn for the better.

However sources say the family will have to consider turning off her life support if the situation does not improve.

Insiders say the 81-year-old would not want to live unless she could enjoy “a full and active life ... (she) would never want to be a burden on anyone.” on Thursday after she stopped breathing during surgery on her throat.

Joan and daughter Melissa Rivers
She had been undergoing treatment on her vocal chords when medics noticed she was suffering complications.

A 911 call was made at 9:39am on Thursday with the caller telling the operator: “We have somebody in either cardiac or respiratory arrest.”

Rivers, who is well known for her use of plastic surgery, was rushed to Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan where her daughter Melissa rushed to be at her bedside from LA.

She had showed no sign she was about to undergo surgery on Tuesday as she tapped a special 90 minute edition of the American show Fashion Police which aired that night

The mum-of-one had begun her hectic weekly schedule on Sunday working for the programme attending the Video Music Awards and then the Emmys the following night.

Just hours before the operation she was tweeting her 2.1million followers telling them to watch highlights of TV award ceremony.

Support the USO

Online mountaineer

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2014, 12:22:17 am »
I caught a few minutes of Fashion Police the other night and remember thinking her voice sounded a little raspier than usual.  :shrug:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2014, 12:38:01 pm »
Rivers on life support with family at her side
By Natalie O'Neill
NY Post
August 31, 2014 | 6:35am

Joan Rivers was on life support as her family remained by her side at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan on Saturday.

Relatives of the 81-year-old actress and comedian — who was placed in a medically induced coma on Thursday — may be forced to decide whether to keep her on life support in the next few days, sources close to Rivers told TMZ.

If they decide to take her off the machines that are keeping her alive, her daughter, Melissa, is hopeful she’ll recover on her own, the site reported.

No decisions will be made about the beloved “Queen of Mean’s” future for several more days, the source said.

Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai after she stopped breathing during a medical procedure Thursday.

The family offered no updates on her condition on Saturday.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
What's a medically induced coma? Joan Rivers' treatment is explained
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2014, 03:20:32 pm »
Meredith Engel
New York Daily News
August 29, 2014

Medically induced comas are common, Dr. Rishi Malhotra, the director of Neuro Critical Care at Montefiore Medical Center in the Bronx, told the Daily News. They help the brain recover after a major incident, such as comedian Joan Rivers' cardiac arrest.
More

The Wikipedia article has some additional information.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
Re: What's a medically induced coma? Joan Rivers' treatment is explained
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »
Based on the limited amount we have been told, it appears her brain is so compromised that even if she were to revive and breathe on her own, she'd be a vegetable.  Most people with a living will would say "do not resuscitate" at this point.  Still, let's pray for a miracle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:35:28 pm by massadvj »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2014, 03:36:11 pm »
I just read a story that Melissa, her daughter, is in denial and refuses to *pull the plug*..hoping for a miracle....very sad indeed!

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/gossip/joan-rivers-life-support-family-members-stand-vigil-article-1.1922473
« Last Edit: August 31, 2014, 03:37:15 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline flowers

« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2014, 03:38:26 pm »
I caught a few minutes of Fashion Police the other night and remember thinking her voice sounded a little raspier than usual.  :shrug:
I just happened to be changing channels and caught that as well.

Offline flowers

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
Rivers on life support with family at her side
By Natalie O'Neill
NY Post
August 31, 2014 | 6:35am

Joan Rivers was on life support as her family remained by her side at Mount Sinai Hospital in Manhattan on Saturday.

Relatives of the 81-year-old actress and comedian — who was placed in a medically induced coma on Thursday — may be forced to decide whether to keep her on life support in the next few days, sources close to Rivers told TMZ.

If they decide to take her off the machines that are keeping her alive, her daughter, Melissa, is hopeful she’ll recover on her own, the site reported.

No decisions will be made about the beloved “Queen of Mean’s” future for several more days, the source said.

Rivers was rushed to Mount Sinai after she stopped breathing during a medical procedure Thursday.

The family offered no updates on her condition on Saturday.
Her daughter is going thru hell right now.  I have been in this situation with my mom. She was on a machine.  She woke up thankfully.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2014, 04:20:30 pm »
One of our neighbors has a niece, who was in an induced coma for months. She recovered, although there is brain injury.

But she is not 81 years old.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR

« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2014, 08:01:11 pm »
BOTOX is a bitch.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2014, 08:16:34 pm »
Her daughter is going thru hell right now.  I have been in this situation with my mom. She was on a machine.  She woke up thankfully.

Was it a cosmetic procedure that she was having when she stopped breathing?

Melissa will give her mother every opportunity, IMO.  Even if she doesn't come back at 100%.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2014, 08:19:25 pm »
No...something was the matter with her vocal chords......a simple procedure I have read.
Support the USO