Author Topic: Stifling free speech? California looks to ban Confederate flag  (Read 657 times)

Offline flowers

http://watchdog.org/167179/stifling-free-speech-california-looks-ban-confederate-flag/

CULLMAN, Ala. — California is looking to bar the “Stars and Bars.”

A bill sits on Gov. Jerry Brown’s desk to ban California from displaying or selling the Confederate flag or objects with images of it. The state’s Legislature passed the bill nearly unanimously last week.

Assemblyman Isadore Hall III, D-Compton, introduced the legislation after his mother discovered the Capitol gift shop sold a replica of Confederate money that contained a picture of the flag, according to the L.A. Times.

The lone dissenting vote among the 67 cast was from former California GOP gubernatorial candidate Tim Donnelly of Twin Peaks. He argued the bill would infringe on free speech.

“I’m a strict Constitutionalist,” he told the Times. “It’s painful and lonely.”

Hall thanked his fellow lawmakers for “standing together united to fend off the ugly hatred of racism that’s been portrayed and demonstrated through the emblem of the Confederacy.”

Offline GourmetDan

Re: Stifling free speech? California looks to ban Confederate flag
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:55:32 pm »

Meanwhile, I'm sure the flag of Mexico is protected free speech.

Hypocrisy, thy name is California...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

rangerrebew

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 04:02:37 pm »
Why don't they ban the American Flag while they are at it.  It means just as much to them as does the Confederate Flag.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 04:13:28 pm »
Why don't they ban the American Flag while they are at it.  It means just as much to them as does the Confederate Flag.

Well ya didn't have to go and give them the idea...    :silly:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2014, 04:25:02 pm »
rangerrebew wrote above:
[[ Why don't they ban the American Flag while they are at it.  It means just as much to them as does the Confederate Flag. ]]

Wait 40 years.
Just wait....

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 06:48:22 pm »
Seems kinda silly to me given all the issues California has to deal with, but it's not a First Amendment issue.
It's the Supreme Court nominations!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 10:20:34 pm »
They can ban it on government property, at a government run store, but anything else is a clear 1st Amendment violation.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 10:38:57 pm »
They can ban it on government property, at a government run store, but anything else is a clear 1st Amendment violation.

That's all the bill calls for...banning it from state property.  They simply cannot ban it from non-state property or use.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 10:51:08 pm »

There have already been several instances of schools banning students for wearing an American flag, or the school would ask them hide the flag from view somehow. They said it might "offend" someone.

Let me tell you something. If you are in America, and attending an American school, and you are "offended" by the American flag...THEN GET THE HELL OUT!! America does not have to "conform" to immigrants, they have to conform to us. And if you don't like it, then why are you here? Go! Leave! No one is keeping you here. America is upsidedown. Everything is backwards.

No, this is no joke. The American Flag is clearly in the hopper for banning as soon as the Democrats can clear out Chirstianity and American Heritage first.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2014, 12:34:23 am »
That's all the bill calls for...banning it from state property.  They simply cannot ban it from non-state property or use.

Hey they are all over the place down here in SC including on Beach towels right Mac?  LOL

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline MACVSOG68

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2014, 01:01:59 am »
Hey they are all over the place down here in SC including on Beach towels right Mac?  LOL

We have a few flying.  There's a golf course on Hwy 1 heading toward Augusta that flies several.  And then there's the annual Battle of Aiken.  But the more crappola the lefties toss out re: the confederate flag, the more it pi$$es folks here off.  And they'll put one out just to throw it in their face.

Yet you won't find more patriotic people anywhere.   And (at least for now), they're allowed to say "bless you" in the classroom.  :patriot:

rangerrebew

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2014, 01:37:14 pm »
Well ya didn't have to go and give them the idea...    :silly:

When I first read your comment I couldn't help imagine John Wayne saying it. :silly:

rangerrebew

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2014, 01:38:46 pm »
rangerrebew wrote above:
[[ Why don't they ban the American Flag while they are at it.  It means just as much to them as does the Confederate Flag. ]]

Wait 40 years.
Just wait....

Do you really think it will take that long?  I can see Mejifornia seceding from the nation and becoming part of Mejico, I really can.