Author Topic: States with Legal Marijuana See 25 Percent Fewer Prescription Painkiller Deaths  (Read 1442 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Disclaimer: I enjoy the odd joint. I've had far too much familiarity with opiods, though thankfully they don't seem to be addictive to me. Presented for information.

One unexpected benefit of medical marijuana legislation appears to be a decrease in painkiller overdoses, perhaps because some chronic pain patients are turning to cannabis instead of powerful opioid drugs.
States with Legal Marijuana See 25 Percent Fewer Prescription Painkiller Deaths

In states with laws legalizing medical marijuana, new research shows there are nearly 25 percent fewer deaths from painkiller overdoses. Opioid painkiller overdoses are a growing problem nationwide. More than 16,500 Americans died of opioid drug overdoses in 2010, and the numbers continue to rise.

Although a casual relationship hasn’t been proven, there appears to be a significant association between marijuana legislation and a fall in overdose deaths.

Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania reported that in states that enacted medical cannabis laws between 1999 and 2010, there was a 24.8 percent lower annual opioid overdose death rate, compared to states without medical marijuana laws. The study was funded by grants from the National Institutes of Health and the Center for AIDS Research at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York City.

Read more: http://www.healthline.com/health-news/states-with-legal-marijuana-have-fewer-overdose-deaths-082614
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
That's interesting EC. 

Disclaimer:  I have also enjoyed the odd joint, and I can speak from personal experience that it is valuable for pain relief, anti-anxiety and general tranquility.  It is presented naturally and with no additives - just the way God gave it to us.  I would much rather use a natural herb if possible than something synthetic and still somewhat experimental. 

What is abhorrent to me is if you don't live in a state where it is legal, you have to go through some rather "shady" resources to obtain it. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I told you about the salted cigs, right? Mostly cannabis with the remains of the opium extract in it. I don't know what it is about the combination, but it gives you extraordinarily vivid nightmares in payment for the almost instant relaxation.

I'll stick to the odd joint.  :laugh:

Offline aligncare

Just a hunch, but I would guess there's less alcohol consumption as well.

Offline olde north church

Never could get the attraction of cannabis.  All it ever did to me was make my eyes tear and feel like I swallowed a bowling ball.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline katzenjammer

Never could get the attraction of cannabis.  All it ever did to me was make my eyes tear and feel like I swallowed a bowling ball.

Ehh, that 'swallowed a bowling ball" feeling may not have been from the smoking of the cannabis itself; quite possibly from the bag of potato chips, 6 slices of pizza, tuna & swiss grinder, bowl of pistachios, and quart of Ben & Jerrys....

:silly:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Ehh, that 'swallowed a bowling ball" feeling may not have been from the smoking of the cannabis itself; quite possibly from the bag of potato chips, 6 slices of pizza, tuna & swiss grinder, bowl of pistachios, and quart of Ben & Jerrys....

Very true!   :silly:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

And THAT was the very problem, I didn't get the munchies!

:shrug:

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
So much of what the DEA and the government have told out about marijuana is wrong. Future generations will find it very odd that marijuana was illegal at the same time alcohol was legal. I'm sure the pharmaceutical companies and the DEA will fight tooth and nail to keep this illegal for as long as possible, but I feel that complete legalization of marijuana is only a matter of time. 
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 05:05:23 pm by Dex4974 »
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline Dexter

I also think if more Republicans came out in support of this it would drastically help them in elections. The last thing the GOP needs is the left screaming "The Republicans are going to take your weed away if you don't vote for us." If the right champions legalization first it would be a great boon to them, in my opinion. It's also more fitting that the side that fights for individual freedoms and intelligent fiscal decisions would recognize the potential for making money here.
-Socrates

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
And THAT was the very problem, I didn't get the munchies!

:shrug:

You must have got some bad stuff, or heavily cut. Though I do know people who simply can't stand it - the missus is one. She'll take a single toke and gets an instant headache.

Getting the munchies is what I use it for!  :laugh: I have a badly damaged vagus nerve - the one controlling appetite? Usually eat to the clock from force of habit, but sometimes it's nice to actually feel hungry.

You must have got some bad stuff, or heavily cut. Though I do know people who simply can't stand it - the missus is one. She'll take a single toke and gets an instant headache.

Getting the munchies is what I use it for!  :laugh: I have a badly damaged vagus nerve - the one controlling appetite? Usually eat to the clock from force of habit, but sometimes it's nice to actually feel hungry.

Was more than once and multiple sources over a period of years.

Offline Dexter

Was more than once and multiple sources over a period of years.

It's certainly not for everybody. I've known numerous people that simply didn't care for the way it made them feel. Despite your lack of interest in it, what do you think about its use and the findings of this study?
-Socrates