Author Topic: How Many Immigrants Passed Through Ellis Island ?  (Read 1807 times)

rangerrebew

How Many Immigrants Passed Through Ellis Island ?
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:04:39 pm »
 How Many Immigrants Passed Through Ellis Island ? 

The Ellis Island was once a small island measuring a mere 3.3 acres. Today, the island is represented by approximately twenty-eight acres and is a segment of the Statue of Liberty monument. This island has not only played an extremely vital role in American History but is significant to the very existence of more than 40 percent of the current American population. This is the site from where years ago, millions of immigrants gained entry into the United States whose offspring are citizens of the US today.

The Ellis Island was for years of no consequence to mankind. It was mainly inhabited by animals and birds. A little later, it became a hunting ground for Native Americans. The Island acquired its present name after it came to be possessed by Samuel Ellis in the 1970s. Between 1892 and 1954, Ellis Island was declared as an official immigration station. Prior to this, the federal government had no control over the immigration process. During this time period, over 12 million people are believed to have crossed the threshold to begin a new life in the US. While some were Europeans looking for an avenue to escape the atrocities of war, drought, famine and religious discrimination; many were Jews saving their lives from the Czars and the Nazis.

The first person to gain entry into the country via this channel was a young 15-year old girl along with her brother; in search of their parents who had immigrated 2 years back. This girl named Annie Moore was welcomed into the US with 10 dollars worth gold piece on January 1, 1892. The admission of Arne Peterson in the year 1954 is marked as the last immigration into the US through Ellis Island. Prior to the outbreak of the First World War, numerous people were eager to immigrate into the country. April 17, 1907 was a memorable day as it witnessed the immigration of 11,747 people through Ellis Island within a matter of 24 hours.

Regulations governing immigration became extremely stringent after the implementation of the Immigration Act of 1924. War refugees were given priority, thereby refusing entry to many others. The station went through a major renovation due to a fire accident in 1897. Although no human life was lost, millions of records were damaged in the fire. Within 3 years, a concrete structure was rebuilt instead of the old wooden building and the station reopened to immigration again on December 1900. With immigration being placed under the jurisdiction of the embassies, this Ellis Island immigration station stopped functioning officially from November 1954.

http://www.historyrocket.com/American-History/timeline/1850-1899/ellis-island/How-Many-Immigrants-Passed-Through-Ellis-Island.html

The left and the media would have us believe that the borders of America were always wide open.  The fact that only 12 million came through in 62 years surely indicates the opposite to be true.  The government was very careful about who was allowed to migrate here.  We have more ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS in America in the past 20-30 years than were processed through Ellis Island in 62.  Does this mean that the left and media are wrong about the intent of immigration was, and is?  Absolutely!!!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:05:55 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline PzLdr

Re: How Many Immigrants Passed Through Ellis Island ?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:46:56 pm »
I can name six: My paternal grandparents, Joaquin Ribeiro and his wife, Maria de Jesus Dos Santos Ribeiro, my maternal grandparents, Giovanni Liberatore and his wife, Anna Maria Liberatore, my maternal aunt Clara, and though she didn't count as an immigrant [she was born on the ship coming over], my Aunt Angelina.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 08:47:59 pm »
My parents and I arrived in New York in January 1956. Missed Ellis Island by *approximating thumb and index finger*,  this much.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 09:22:08 pm »

My grandparents on my mother's side definitely came through Ellis Island....from Sicily.   That's my grandmother standing next to my great grandfather.

Her name was Theresa Accordino.  She married my grandfather at the age of 13.  It's how things were done back then, I suppose.

She was a Saint while alive and I still can remember waking up on Sunday morning to the smell of her meatballs frying in the pan....the long poles with drying linguini pasta supported by dining room chairs.  There was always extended family eating at Gramma's on Sunday.

I apologize for the poor quality of the pic....scanner broken right now.

My great grandmother looks like somebody that you didn't want to mess with.     :laugh:   
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald