Author Topic: Al-Qaeda Militants Push Toward Baghdad, Storm Other Cities; U.S. Watches  (Read 4047 times)

rangerrebew

WSJ: US Caught Off-Guard by Iraqi Insurgency
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2014, 05:56:11 pm »

WSJ: US Caught Off-Guard by Iraqi Insurgency

Image: WSJ: US Caught Off-Guard by Iraqi Insurgency  Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel speaks during the opening session of the Gulf Cooperation Council on May 14 in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. 

Thursday, 12 Jun 2014 09:39 AM

By Drew MacKenzie

With Iraq teetering on the brink of collapse, the White House has been caught off guard by the capture of two cities by Muslim militants and the desertion of thousands of Iraqi security forces, The Wall Street Journal reported.

As Sunni fighters with the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) headed to Baghdad after taking Mosul and Tikrit, the Obama administration hastily arranged a meeting on Wednesday with military leaders and policy makers to deal with the latest Middle East crisis.

Even though the State Department has known for some time that jihadists wanted to create an Islamic state in parts of Iraq and Syria dominated by Sunnis, the United States was ill-prepared to counter the ISIS onslaught.

"Recent events in Iraq show the potential risks of the administration's foreign policy approach," the Journal's Adam Entous and Julian E. Barnes wrote, referring to President Barack Obama’s approach of limiting U.S. involvement in foreign conflicts.

Obama was recently criticized by Republicans for his speech at the West Point military academy where he urged allies to take the lead in fighting terrorist threats in their regions, allowing American troops to take a back seat in worldwide confrontations.

The United States had hoped that the $14 billion it had spent to bolster Iraqi security forces would be enough to contain the violent ISIS extremists. But officials did not take into account that Iraqi security forces would lay down their arms in droves, along with their weapons and their uniforms.

The Journal reported that Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel had attended a meeting of Gulf states in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, in May, which focused on al-Qaida inspired Islamic forces seizing territory in Syria and Iraq. But no decisions were made by Hagel and his counterparts on how to force back the insurgents.

Now Mosul, Iraq’s second largest city, has been overrun, and the United States believes that there’s little chance of Iraqi forces recapturing it in the near future. As the United States mulled air strikes in bid to support Iraq’s embattled troops, the bigger concern is that the Shiite-controlled capital Baghdad does not fall to advancing ISIS forces.

After American forces pulled out of Iraq in 2011, the region remained fairly stable until the civil war in Syria gave the ISIS the opportunity to recruit, train and operate in vast areas of the two countries.

U.S. military officials say that ISIS is now a bigger terrorist threat to the United States than the al-Qaida-based organizations in Yemen or Africa and more powerful than al-Qaida's leadership in Pakistan, the Journal said.

Michigan Rep. Mike Rogers, chairman of the House Intelligence Committee, told the Journal the threat of terrorism from the ISIS "worse than pre-9/11 Afghanistan" because of the large number of foreigners, including Europeans and Americans, who are joining the fight.

"These people will come home eventually and they are going to come home with, I believe, intentions to fulfill al-Qaida's dream for another attack on our homeland and, certainly, another attack on our Western and European allies," Rogers told the paper.

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/WSJ-Iraq-insurgents-uprising/2014/06/12/id/576637#ixzz34RswQHNV
 Urgent: Should Obamacare Be Repealed? Vote Here Now!

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
Re: WSJ: US Caught Off-Guard by Iraqi Insurgency
« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2014, 07:25:37 pm »
Uh, no, WSJ, only our illustrious "leaders" were caught off-guard.  Conservatives and Republicans have said for years that this would happen if we withdrew without having completed the job.  It's not by accident that we're still in Germany and Japan, for example.  It's also no accident that they are societies governed by democratic principles.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Americans being evacuated from Iraqi air base
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2014, 07:32:53 pm »
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/06/12/americans-being-evacuated-from-iraqi-air-base/

Americans being evacuated from Iraqi air base
Published June 12, 2014
Associated Press

Officials say three planeloads of Americans are being evacuated from a major Iraqi air base in Sunni territory north of Baghdad to escape potential threats from a fast-moving insurgency.

A current U.S. official and a former senior Obama administration official say that means the American training mission at the air field in Balad has been grounded indefinitely.

Twelve U.S. personnel who were stationed at Balad were the first to be evacuated. Several hundred American contractors are still waiting to leave.

They have been training Iraqi forces to use fighter jets and surveillance drones.

Other U.S. contractors at a tank training ground in the city of Taji is still ongoing for now.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they refused to be named in discussing the sensitive situation.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: WSJ: US Caught Off-Guard by Iraqi Insurgency
« Reply #28 on: June 12, 2014, 07:36:58 pm »
Caught off guard??  Why, the only thing that matters is that Obama ended that war and he is going to make sure it stays ended......

:smokin:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Americans being evacuated from Iraqi air base
« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2014, 07:55:43 pm »
I expect to see Baghdad overrun over the weekend.

Offline katzenjammer

Does anyone have any idea as to how many Americans are in Baghdad?  The last I heard, a few years ago, was that there was a sizable contingent at, and around, the Embassy.  In addition to State, a lot of civilian contractors tasked with all sort of support roles.  I wonder how many are still in country?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
My family was lucky..we only lost about 5 years of *family time*..with the deployments of my husband and son...compared to those who were injured or killed in OIF.....praying for those families... 8888crybaby
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Does anyone have any idea as to how many Americans are in Baghdad?  The last I heard, a few years ago, was that there was a sizable contingent at, and around, the Embassy.  In addition to State, a lot of civilian contractors tasked with all sort of support roles.  I wonder how many are still in country?

I have heard roughly 7000 contractors. Either Ford or Allegra will have a better idea, having been there recently.

My family was lucky..we only lost about 5 years of *family time*..with the deployments of my husband and son...compared to those who were injured or killed in OIF.....praying for those families... 8888crybaby

You were lucky.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline katzenjammer

Some answers in here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/checkpoint/wp/2014/06/12/diplomats-pilots-and-hired-guns-here-are-the-americans-left-in-iraq/

A State Department official said in January that it still had about 5,000 contractors working in Iraq at the embassy in Baghdad and at consulates in Basra and Irbil. About 2,000 were U.S. civilians. That reflected a steep decrease from January 2013, when the State Department had about 12,500 contractors — 4,500 of them Americans — but it still underscores the significant logistics an evacuation of U.S. diplomatic facilities in Iraq would require.

There are now about 250 U.S. troops in Iraq, Pentagon officials said. That’s down from 157,800 at the height of the U.S. military surge there in 2009. About half of those who remain are Marine Corps embassy security guards who protect diplomatic compounds. Many others work for the Office of Security Cooperation – Iraq, which still provides some advice to the Iraqi military.

There also is an unknown number of U.S. security contractors protecting State Department personnel in Iraq. They work from a $10 billion, 5-year Worldwide Protective Services contract the department signed with eight companies in 2010.

Offline andy58-in-nh

Obama and his lunatic cohort never did much like the final result of the Iraq War, since America more or less won. So they have worked diligently to turn it into the war whose outcome they far preferred: Vietnam.

And why do I suspect that al Qaeda will soon have all the hostages they need to effect the emptying of our Guantanamo Bay prison, to the silent cheers of this lawless Administration?

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Ford289HiPo

• Don't take life seriously; No one gets out alive
Just all that American equipment such as night vision goggles and other material in the hands of Al Queda

Don't forget tanks, helicopters, radios, HMMV's, weapons, aircraft, MRAP's................
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

Offline Ford289HiPo

Twelve U.S. personnel who were stationed at Balad were the first to be evacuated. Several hundred American contractors are still waiting to leave.

Cute. Leave the eeeevil contractors in place. I remember that happening in Bosnia also. Being abandonded is not a good feeling, even in a permissive environment.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 09:52:16 pm by Ford289HiPo »
I wonder when the lies will stop and truth begin, even as grim as the truth may be. And then I remember that for 70 years, the reign of terror in Russia called itself "the people's government." We have so far to fall, yet we are falling fast and Hell yawns to receive us.

SPQR

The Kurds are Christian?

Kurds are Christian.In recent years a few Kurds from Muslim background have converted to Christianity

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Don't forget tanks, helicopters, radios, HMMV's, weapons, aircraft, MRAP's................

Exactly.  These guys didn't just get Obama style bandaids and MREs, they got all of the logistical and operational support they need to be top dog on the ground.  More importantly, they got hard cash to buy more ammo with, and the Middle East has been nasty with arms merchants since the Ottomans were in charge.  Old Krupp used to finance his latest weaponry to sell to Europeans, by selling last year's model to the Ottomans.  The Krupps were known as "Kannonen Koenigs" or "Cannon Kings" for good reason.....

Same old, same old, only with better weapons.  Wait till someone liberates Pakistan's nuclear warheads for the Cause.....

Online Right_in_Virginia

Not quite.  What we are seeing is Iraq breaking up into essentially three groups: Shiites, Sunnis, and Kurds, which is what the Bush Administration warned about endlessly to little or no avail.  When we summarily withdrew from Iraq because Obama failed to negotiate a Status of Forces Agreement, it set the stage for years of civil war.

We are witnessing the Obama Doctrine in action.

goopo

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: U.S. Watches As Iraq Speeds Toward Disaster
« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2014, 10:19:40 pm »
Just all that American equipment such as night vision goggles and other material in the hands of Al Queda

:#@$%:

SPQR

I just hope that this evacuation does not turn into the 1975 evacuation of Vietnam. We seen the film people cramming into those helicopters
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:29:29 pm by Trigger »

SPQR

The Kurds are Christian?

There are Christian and Jewish Kurds

Offline Ford289HiPo

Kurds are Christian.In recent years a few Kurds from Muslim background have converted to Christianity

Kurds are Christian, Sunni, Shiite, communist, or western leaning. Whatever floats their boat.
If Kurds don't have anyone to fight with, they fight amongst themselves. The one thing that does bind them together is that they are all Kurds.

SPQR

Kurds are Christian, Sunni, Shiite, communist, or western leaning. Whatever floats their boat.
If Kurds don't have anyone to fight with, they fight amongst themselves. The one thing that does bind them together is that they are all Kurds.

I agree.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Does anybody know where Allegra is?    In terms of her service/career overseas.....

Hope she's safe and sound.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

SPQR

The part I cannot get over is the millions of dollars of equipment that will be left over. From bullets to night vision goggles in the hands of the enemy.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Does anybody know where Allegra is?    In terms of her service/career overseas.....

Hope she's safe and sound.

She is stateside..and safe
Support the USO

Offline Ford289HiPo

Exactly.  These guys didn't just get Obama style bandaids and MREs, they got all of the logistical and operational support they need to be top dog on the ground.  More importantly, they got hard cash to buy more ammo with, and the Middle East has been nasty with arms merchants since the Ottomans were in charge.  Old Krupp used to finance his latest weaponry to sell to Europeans, by selling last year's model to the Ottomans.  The Krupps were known as "Kannonen Koenigs" or "Cannon Kings" for good reason.....

Same old, same old, only with better weapons.  Wait till someone liberates Pakistan's nuclear warheads for the Cause.....

I left Iraq in December 2010. We (as in State Dept) gave the Iraqi's 100 brand new MRAPs. There was also a shipment of ~ 1100 SUV's and full-size American Pickups that were delivered to tre Iraqi's because someone forgot to cancel the order.

At Al Asad Air Base in Anbar Province, there was an area on top of the wadi 500 meters deep and 3 miles long, holding rolling stock, shipping containers, housing units,  you name it. All awaiting disposal. It wasn't going to be shipped back to the US.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
She is stateside..and safe

Thanks!  Glad to know that.   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald