Author Topic: Democrats Blackmailing GOP Pro-Amnesty Senators by Refusing to Pass Amnesty  (Read 243 times)

rangerrebew

Democrats Blackmailing GOP Pro-Amnesty Senators by Refusing to Pass Amnesty

Posted By Daniel Greenfield On May 18, 2014 @ 11:15 pm In The Point | 3 Comments

Bugs Bunny: “He’s got me dead to rights, doc. Would you like to shoot him here, or wait till you get home?”

Daffy Duck: “Oh, no, you don’t. Not this time. Wait till you get home”

I don’t know who is worse at negotiating with the enemy; Obama with Putin or Rubio with Schumer. If there are any Senate poker games, I think we know who loses them badly.

By the end of this process, Republican pro-amnesty senators won’t have any pants left.

Senate Republicans say they’ll try to pass immigration reform legislation in the next two years if they take back the Senate in November.

Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), a central member of the coalition that passed a comprehensive reform bill in the Senate last year, said he would craft a better legislative approach if Republicans control the upper chamber in 2015.

But Democrats are threatening that if the House does not pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill this year the issue will be dead in 2015 and 2016, sinking the GOP brand among Hispanics ahead of the 2016 election.

Democrats, however, would balk at reforming the nation’s immigration laws through a variety of separate bills.

Sen. Charles Schumer (N.Y.), the lead author of the comprehensive Senate immigration bill, signaled Wednesday that Democrats would not be willing to join in such an effort.

He threatened to force Republicans to pay the price in the presidential election if they do not agree to pass a reform by year’s end.

He said House Republicans have a narrow window between early June and the August recess to act.

“I am saying that if Speaker [John] Boehner [Ohio], [House Majority] Leader [Eric] Cantor [Va.], and other Republican leaders refuse to schedule a vote on immigration reform during this window, it will not pass until 2017 at the earliest,” he said on the Senate floor Wednesday.

“I believe it would then pass in 2017 after Republicans take a shellacking in the Presidential election,” he added.

This is typical of the stupid way that the GOP establishment self-destructs. Its consultants become convinced that the only way to save the GOP is to destroy it. Caught between a conservative base and its consultants who tell it to be more like the Democrats, it tries to fake right and then go left. The whole thing self-destructs and then the establishments blames the “radicals” in their own party for not letting them defect on schedule.

The GOP becomes so turned out that it finds itself begging the Democrats to help it commit suicide and the Democrats bargain with the Republicans for the right to allow them to commit suicide.

Refer back to the Daffy Duck video at the top. It’s not just there for amusement value. The GOP is Daffy Duck convinced that after being shot so many times there, it can only escape the pain by being shot now.

The GOP establishment wants to avoid amnesty before midterms while passing it before the election. The Democrats want to force amnesty through now while they still have more leverage and more ability to take credit for it.

Either way Obama will get the majority of the credit. And either way the GOP will have even more trouble winning future elections. But the GOP is convinced that it’s the timing of when they get shot that matters, not avoiding being shot.

Article printed from FrontPage Magazine: http://www.frontpagemag.com

URL to article: http://www.frontpagemag.com/2014/dgreenfield/democrats-now-blackmailing-gop-pro-amnesty-senators-by-refusing-to-pass-amnesty/