Author Topic: Race row roils NBA  (Read 7039 times)

Online mountaineer

"The more I learn about this character, the more I question why wasn't this done a long time ago," Santorum told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.
We're certainly learning a lot more about Santorum's character lately, given all these pathetic efforts to get his name in print every day.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
We're certainly learning a lot more about Santorum's character lately, given all these pathetic efforts to get his name in print every day.

There were always something slightly "off" about Santorum. Never could put my finger on it, but it was there, like a missing tooth.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mountaineer

Re: Oprah Winfrey speaks out on Donald Sterling
« Reply #77 on: April 30, 2014, 07:08:01 pm »
My head is exploding.
Oprah may buy Clippers off Donald Sterling
By Jonathan Lehman  NY Post
April 30, 2014 | 12:17pm

Media empress Oprah Winfrey may get into yet another game: NBA ownership.

According to ESPN, Winfrey is considering teaming with David Geffen and Larry Ellison for a bid to buy the Los Angeles Clippers from Donald Sterling, who is facing massive pressure to sell the franchise as part of sanctions stemming from his infamous racist rant.

Sterling is heard on an audio recording scolding his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, for posting Instagram photos of herself with black acquaintances and for bringing them to Clippers games.

Winfrey was outspoken in criticism, saying Sterling’s comments were indicative of a “plantation mentality,” though on Tuesday she had said, “I won’t be buying the Clippers.”

NBA commissioner Adam Silver said Tuesday: “I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him.”

Geffen and software billionaire Ellison were previously tipped as candidates to purchase the Clippers in bidding that may tick toward $800 million. Lakers great Magic Johnson, with financial backer Guggenheim Partners, also is considered a front-runner.

The Clippers rank as the 13th most valuable team in the league, according to Forbes, at an estimated $575 million. But the team likely would sell for millions more, on the promise of a rich new cable TV contract. A sports investment banker told The Post’s Josh Kosman the Clippers could sell for as much as as the Nets, valued at $780 million.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Oprah considering Clippers bid
« Reply #78 on: April 30, 2014, 07:32:56 pm »
http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/story/_/id/10861503/oprah-winfrey-group-considering-bid-buy-los-angeles-clippers

Oprah considering Clippers bid
Updated: April 30, 2014, 2:26 PM ET

Oprah Winfrey, David Geffen and Larry Ellison will join together in a bid to buy the Los Angeles Clippers if the NBA's board of governors votes to force Donald Sterling to sell the team, Geffen told ESPN's Jeremy Schaap on Wednesday.

Geffen said he and Ellison would run the team, while Winfrey would be an investor.

"Oprah is not interested in running the team," Geffen told Schaap. "She thinks it would be a great thing for an important black American to own [another] franchise.

"The team deserves a better group of owners who want to win. Larry would sooner die than fail. I would sooner die than fail. Larry's a sportsman. We've talked about this for a long time. Between the three of us, we have a good shot."

Winfrey's spokesperson, Nicole Nichols, issued a statement later Wednesday, confirming Geffen's claim.

"Oprah Winfrey is in discussions with David Geffen and Larry Ellison to make a bid for the Los Angeles Clippers should the team become available," Nichols said in the statement.

Geffen, a music and film mogul with a net worth that Forbes estimates at $6.2 billion, reportedly tried to buy at least a controlling stake in the Clippers in 2010 for $600 million but was rebuffed by Sterling.

Geffen also told Schaap that LeBron James was interested in playing in Los Angeles when he was a free agent in 2010 and that James, who ultimately signed with the Miami Heat, told him he would not play for Sterling.

"[The] reasons are perfectly clear," said Geffen, would not specifically disclose why James didn't want to play for Sterling.

"I'm a fan. I bring something to the table, it's fun and I can afford it," Geffen said. "I live in L.A., that's one thing that makes it attractive."

Geffen said he and Ellison, the CEO of Oracle, a business software and technology company, were also interested in buying the Los Angeles Lakers, but the team wasn't for sale.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver wants Sterling to sell the Clippers as part of the extremely stiff sanctions brought against the longtime owner in response to racist comments the league determined he made in a recorded conversation.

Silver banned Sterling for life, fined him $2.5 million and said he will press the other teams to support his desire to make Sterling sell.

"I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him," Silver said.

Silver was asked Tuesday whether the league was considering more minority ownership in response to the sanctions against Sterling.

"As you know, we have an African-American primary owner in the league right now," Silver said. "Shaquille O'Neal just became a small owner of the Sacramento Kings. David Robinson is an owner of the San Antonio Spurs. Vivek Ranadive, a person of color born in Mumbai, India, just became the primary owner of the Sacramento Kings. So I believe we have a very diverse league, but I'd always like to see it become more diverse."

Boxing superstar Floyd Mayweather Jr. and music mogul Sean Combs both claimed interest in buying the team Tuesday, as did real-estate tycoon Rick Caruso.

Magic Johnson, Mark Walter and their Guggenheim Partners group, which made the billion-dollar purchase of the Los Angeles Dodgers in 2012, also are possible bidders, though sources have told ESPN that any such discussions were premature at best.

Johnson, who was specifically mentioned in the recorded conversation involving Sterling, laughed off the suggestion he should buy the Clippers in an appearance on ESPN on Sunday night, saying he was focused on bringing the NFL back to Los Angeles.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

« Reply #79 on: April 30, 2014, 07:37:05 pm »
"As you know, we have an African-American primary owner in the league right now," Silver said. "Shaquille O'Neal just became a small owner of the Sacramento Kings. David Robinson is an owner of the San Antonio Spurs. Vivek Ranadive, a person of color born in Mumbai, India, just became the primary owner of the Sacramento Kings. So I believe we have a very diverse league, but I'd always like to see it become more diverse."

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin, but by the content of their character.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Jesse Jackson Shows Up on Court Before Clippers-Warriors Game
« Reply #80 on: April 30, 2014, 08:47:26 pm »
http://www.truthrevolt.org/news/jesse-jackson-shows-court-clippers-warriors-game

"We have a high tolerance for racism."
Truth Revolt

As the fallout continued regarding the NBA’s decision to ban Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling for life based on racist comments made in private and leaked on tape, Jesse Jackson showed up on court before Game 5 of the first round of the playoffs between the Los Angeles Clippers and the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday night.

Earlier in the day, race-baiter extraordinaire Jackson appeared at the Milken Institute’s Global Conference in Beverly Hills, where he stated that Sterling’s comments showed “why we need affirmative action. People in high places have no will toward goodness unless the law is there to force it.” Jackson continued by stating that Sterling “should apologize, he should resign and he should sell the team. We have a high tolerance for racism. His past is very well known. It took this over-the-hill statement…to get to this point.”

In 2008, Jackson was caught on tape stating that he would like to “cut off [President Obama’s] nuts” for “talking down to black people…telling n****** how to behave.”  In the 1980s, Jackson referred to New York City as “Hymietown.” He called Ward Connerly of the California Board of Regents a “house slave” and “puppet of the white man,” and according to James Mtume, stated in 2008 that Barack Obama was a “half-breed n*****.”

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Lando Lincoln

Re: Jesse Jackson Shows Up on Court Before Clippers-Warriors Game
« Reply #81 on: April 30, 2014, 09:10:04 pm »

Of course he does. 
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Online mountaineer

Re: Jesse Jackson Shows Up on Court Before Clippers-Warriors Game
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2014, 12:16:23 pm »
What was it Carville said about dragging a dollar bill through a trailer court? That pretty much describes Jesse and the other race-baiting poverty pimps.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2014, 12:27:16 pm »
Daily Mail (U.K.):
Oprah Winfrey joins Floyd Mayweather in bid to buy Los Angeles Clippers
By Mike Dawes
Published: 05:10 EST, 1 May 2014  | Updated: 06:50 EST, 1 May 2014

American talk show host Oprah Winfrey has added her name to the list of stars looking to buy the Los Angeles Clippers.

After Clippers owner Donald Sterling was banned for life by NBA commissioner Adam Silver, a number of people have expressed an interest in the franchise including Floyd Mayweather, Oscar De La Hoya and Magic Johnson.

But now Oprah has joined David Geffen and Larry Ellison and formed a consortium to take over the NBA team.  The three billionaires have a combined wealth of $60 billion (£35.54b).

Television entrepreneur Winfrey, is joining forces with the world's fifth richest man, Ellison and entertainment mogul Geffen to pry the franchise from Sterling's grip - after he revealed he would not sell the team he bought for $12 million (£7.1m) in 1982.

Mayweather, meanwhile, wants to put the $40 million which is his guaranteed minimum for Saturday night’s fight towards cost to purchase the Clippers.

However, despite the celebrity billionaire interest, Sterling is refusing to sell his team - signaling a lengthy and costly legal battle with the NBA.

NBA commissioner Silver has told Sterling that he wants him to sell the Clippers as part of the extreme sanctions brought against the owner in response to racist comments he was recorded making by a former girlfriend.

'I fully expect to get the support I need from the other NBA owners to remove him,' Silver said.

The NBA on Tuesday banned Sterling from the game for life and fined him $2.5 million for racist comments that drew a storm of outrage from players, fans and commercial sponsors.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Clippers Owner Sterling: 'I Am Not Selling the Team'
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2014, 12:36:33 pm »
http://www.newsmax.com/PrintTemplate.aspx/?nodeid=568716

Newsmax
Clippers Owner Sterling: 'I Am Not Selling the Team'
Wednesday, April 30, 2014 03:50 PM

By: REUTERS

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling told Fox News on Wednesday that he is not selling the team, despite his banishment from the NBA for making racist remarks.

Sterling, who was banned for life and fined $1.5 million, told Fox Sports broadcaster Jim Gray on Tuesday before he was penalized by the league that he would not sell the team.

His position did not change on Wednesday.

"I am not selling the team," Gray quoted Sterling as saying.

Some NBA owners on Wednesday said they expect the league likely will vote to force Sterling to sell the Clippers, which he bought in 1981 for $12.5 million.

But The Los Angeles Times on Wednesday reported that Sterling could opt to challenge the NBA, setting up what could be a protracted legal battle.

"If he truly doesn't want to sell, I'm going to guess he could tie this up for the rest of his life," Richard Sheehan, author of "Keeping Score: The Economics of Big-Time Sports" told The Times. "It would be an absolute disaster."

As it appeared more likely the team would be put up for sale, talk show host turned media businesswoman Oprah Winfrey emerged among potential buyers who have expressed interest. She said she was in discussions with producer and film studio executive David Geffen and Oracle Corp computer technology Chief Executive Officer Larry Ellison to bid for the team if it becomes available.

NBA Commissioner Adam Silver, who also announced a $2.5 million fine on Sterling on Tuesday, asked the league's governing board of fellow owners to act immediately to force Sterling to sell the club he bought 33 years ago.

Although no firm date for the vote was given by the NBA, early indications were that owners would overwhelmingly support the unprecedented move.

"We run a color blind league and this should not be tolerated," Sacramento Kings owner Vivek Ranadive told ESPN Radio. "The only thing we care about is do you have game.

"I would be surprised if this was not a unanimous vote. The owners are amazing people, they are color blind and I fully expect a unanimous vote."

Under the NBA's own bylaws, it is up to the league's owners to decide whether to force the sale of the Clippers franchise.

At least three-quarters of the owners would have to support the move but sports business experts said Sterling's peers might be leery of action they felt could jeopardize their own property rights in the future.

According to NBA bylaws, Silver must provide a written copy of any charges within three days to Sterling, who has five days to answer. A special hearing of the Board of Governors then will be held on a date no more than 10 days after Sterling's reply.

The board's advisory finance committee has a meeting scheduled on Thursday to go over the next steps in removing Sterling as owner of the Clippers, a spokesman for the NBA said.

Glen Taylor, the owner of the Minnesota Timberwolves and interim chair of the NBA Board of Governors, said the ideal course of action would be if Sterling just agreed to a sale.

"The problems would occur if he decides that he doesn't want to sell the team and we think that it should be sold," Taylor told the St. Paul Pioneer Press. "Then we have to make sure that we got the votes and then enforce that."

Taylor said he had not spoken to all of the owners, but said he was "reasonably sure" there was enough support for a forced sale and he expected there would be potential buyers.

Earvin "Magic" Johnson, the former basketball star who is a part owner of the Los Angeles Dodgers baseball team and who once had a stake in the Los Angeles Lakers, has been mentioned as a possible suitor for the Clippers. On Monday, the day before commissioner Silver's announcement, Johnson had tweeted that "I want to put a stop to a rumor. I am not trying to buy the Clippers, they already have an owner."

One of boxing' s biggest names, five-division world champion Floyd Mayweather Jr., expressed interest in comments to reporters in Las Vegas.

Clippers owner Sterling was forced out of basketball on Tuesday after two websites released audio recordings of him criticizing a woman friend for "associating with black people." The woman heard on the recordings at the heart of the scandal is said to be a 31-year-old Los Angeles model who goes by the name V. Stiviano.

The recordings drew outrage from players, fans, politicians and commercial sponsors, several of whom said they were cutting ties with the team, even after the NBA moved to expel Sterling.

The scandal quickly grew into a national discussion of race relations transcending basketball.

Sterling has not yet commented on the sanctions against him and it was not immediately clear whether he would seek to challenge the ban in court. Sterling did not respond to requests for comment from Reuters.

But lawyers with expertise in sports law gave him little chance of successfully suing the NBA, citing league governance rules that all owners must accept.

Support the USO

Offline flowers

Re: Clippers Owner Sterling: 'I Am Not Selling the Team'
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2014, 03:53:30 pm »
lol

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »
Translation... start the bidding process.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2014, 05:02:31 pm »
The profit between $12 million he paid, and today's market value of perhaps 1 billion, triggers an immense amount of taxable capital gain.

If instead he died, and the property went to his heirs, there would be no tax for that transfer.

Maybe his heirs should sue the league and owners for the taxes, for depriving them of their inheritance, since that is what in effect they are doing.

Or maybe Sterling can "sell" the asset to a trust, for the remainder of his lifetime, to avoid the tax on disposition.

Or maybe biz wiz Magic has a way to just make the tax go away. Or maybe our first black President can issue an Executive Order to his IRS, to waive the taxes on such a taxable event.

Pull out all the stops. OTOH upon careful consideration, perhaps other owners will consider the ramifications, and oppose forcing a sale. It only takes 26% of owner votes to block it.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2014, 05:26:58 pm »
The profit between $12 million he paid, and today's market value of perhaps 1 billion, triggers an immense amount of taxable capital gain.

If instead he died, and the property went to his heirs, there would be no tax for that transfer.

Maybe his heirs should sue the league and owners for the taxes, for depriving them of their inheritance, since that is what in effect they are doing.

Or maybe Sterling can "sell" the asset to a trust, for the remainder of his lifetime, to avoid the tax on disposition.

Or maybe biz wiz Magic has a way to just make the tax go away. Or maybe our first black President can issue an Executive Order to his IRS, to waive the taxes on such a taxable event.

Pull out all the stops. OTOH upon careful consideration, perhaps other owners will consider the ramifications, and oppose forcing a sale. It only takes 26% of owner votes to block it.

From the look of that picture, his heirs may include two Filipino trannies.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

SPQR

« Reply #89 on: May 02, 2014, 12:05:13 am »
I think that he should stand his ground. Tie up the entire situation for years in court. He has the money to do this. By the way, he should investigate the other owners for any racist statements they have made in the past and sue his mistress for illegally taping him court.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 12:11:16 am by SPQR »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2014, 11:39:03 am »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, newly banned from basketball over racist comments attributed to him, has been battling prostate cancer, sports network ESPN and other media reported on Thursday.

The reports come after the National Basketball Association launched a bid on Thursday to oust the 80-year-old as owner of the franchise, as urged by league Commissioner Adam Silver.

ESPN, citing unnamed sources, reported that Sterling has cancer. The New York Post, which first reported the news, also cited unnamed sources as saying Sterling has been battling prostate cancer for an extended period of time.

Reuters could not independently confirm these reports. Officials for the Clippers and the NBA did not immediately return requests for comment.

Silver on Tuesday declared Sterling banned from the NBA for life, fined him $2.5 million - the league maximum - and called on the 29 other club owners who make up the governing board to exercise their authority to force Sterling to sell the Clippers.

The scandal has angered fans and players, and numerous commercial sponsors have pulled their support from the team, before and after the NBA moved to expel Sterling.

Sterling was banned from any further ties with his team or professional basketball, and stripped of his seat on the NBA governing board, days after two websites released audio recordings in which a voice said to be Sterling's is heard criticizing a female friend for "associating with black people".

Silver said Tuesday that Sterling has acknowledged to the NBA that the recording was authentic but did not apologize.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
I wonder if he also had the good sense to dump that girlfriend who set him up?  I have to admit I kind of feel sorry for the guy.  He's a pathetic, racist extremely insecure dinosaur who was easy pickings for the race-exploitation industrial complex.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 09:14:39 pm by massadvj »

Offline flowers

« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2014, 08:37:10 pm »
LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, newly banned from basketball over racist comments attributed to him, has been battling prostate cancer, sports network ESPN and other media reported on Thursday.

The reports come after the National Basketball Association launched a bid on Thursday to oust the 80-year-old as owner of the franchise, as urged by league Commissioner Adam Silver.

ESPN, citing unnamed sources, reported that Sterling has cancer. The New York Post, which first reported the news, also cited unnamed sources as saying Sterling has been battling prostate cancer for an extended period of time.

Reuters could not independently confirm these reports. Officials for the Clippers and the NBA did not immediately return requests for comment.

Silver on Tuesday declared Sterling banned from the NBA for life, fined him $2.5 million - the league maximum - and called on the 29 other club owners who make up the governing board to exercise their authority to force Sterling to sell the Clippers.

The scandal has angered fans and players, and numerous commercial sponsors have pulled their support from the team, before and after the NBA moved to expel Sterling.

Sterling was banned from any further ties with his team or professional basketball, and stripped of his seat on the NBA governing board, days after two websites released audio recordings in which a voice said to be Sterling's is heard criticizing a female friend for "associating with black people".

Silver said Tuesday that Sterling has acknowledged to the NBA that the recording was authentic but did not apologize.

link?

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2014, 10:13:52 pm »
There's an old saying: you don't die of prostate cancer in most cases. You die with prostate cancer.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

SPQR

« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2014, 11:37:08 pm »
I wonder if he also had the good sense to dump that girlfriend who set him up?  I have to admit I kind of feel sorry for the guy.  He's a pathetic, racist extremely insecure dinosaur who was easy pickings for the race-exploitation industrial complex.

I would take his lover sent her to court and sue the living day lights. I would also ask the District Attorney for proceedings against her.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 11:38:23 pm by SPQR »

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #95 on: May 02, 2014, 11:58:06 pm »
There's an old saying: you don't die of prostate cancer in most cases. You die with prostate cancer.

Unless you are 81.  He has probably had it for many years and now it is late stage and metastasized.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #96 on: May 03, 2014, 01:11:48 pm »
link?
Sorry I overlooked the link.  I got it off Yahoo News, but it's a Reuters story.

Offline flowers

« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 03:27:27 pm »
Sorry I overlooked the link.  I got it off Yahoo News, but it's a Reuters story.
:patriot:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-Sports/2014/05/04/L-A-Mayor-Says-Sterling-Will-Not-Relinquish-Team-Easily-Doesn-t-Rule-Out-Boycotts

by Breitbart California 4 May 2014, 9:25 AM PDT

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said that after speaking to Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, he believes that Sterling will not give up his team easily even if the NBA attempts to force him to sell his team.

"I think that he thinks that he's going to be the owner for a long time, that he wants to stay the owner. And I said, 'This will be a long, protracted fight and a painful thing for our city that is a great city, great American city,'" Garcetti said on CBS' "Face the Nation."

He also said that he would not rule out calling for a boycott of Clippers games if Sterling is still the owner.

"I would certainly keep that arrow in the quiver," he said.

Sterling spoke to Jim Gray before NBA Commissioner Adam Silver banned him for life from the league after an audio recording of Sterling was released in which he said he did not want V. Stiviano to bring "black people" to his games. Sterling reportedly told him he would never sell the team. He also spoke to Jason Binn of DuJour magazine and said, purportedly V. Stiviano, I wish I had  just paid her off."

Garcetti said he urged Sterling to apologize for his comments but indicated that Sterling "believes in his heart" that he is a "very good person."

The NBA announced that it would appoint a CEO to supervise the Clippers and NBA players have suggested that they may boycott games at the start of next season if Sterling still owns the Clippers. 

"We're a great sports town. I mean, we have two basketball teams, but we're certainly feeling like one team these days, all behind the Clippers. And we want to see a representation of our city in the best light, not one individual who would besmirch who we are," he said.

The Clippers beat the Golden State Warriors in Game 7 of their first-round series on Saturday to advance in the playoffs to face the Oklahoma City Thunder.
Support the USO

Offline evadR

Donald, you should have paid the Obama vig.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.