Author Topic: Race row roils NBA  (Read 7040 times)

Offline Lando Lincoln

Bothers me a lot...not that I agree with this a-hole but I thought this country had a little thing called free speech...guess not!

He is free to say what he wants.  But, the NBA has a right to protect its brand - and I am sure that is stipulated in his agreements with the league.  The issue for me is that these were private conversations which were brought to light.  I read somewhere that he had given permission to be recorded.  Seems strange.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline mountaineer

Anybody else bothered that private conversations are now fair game for job actions?
That's exactly what offends me about this whole thing. Now we're all subject to losing our businesses, our livelihoods over something said - we thought - in private?

I don't know the particulars of it, but it appears the woman tape-recorded a private conversation without his consent. Some states have laws against such things.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mountaineer

4 Extremely Rational Quotes Mark Cuban Made About Clippers’ Owner Donald Sterling’s Racist Comments
By Emily Hulsey
IJ Review   

Mark Cuban, the outspoken owner of the Dallas Mavericks and an investor on Shark Tank, waited a few days before speaking out about Clippers’ owner Donald Sterling’s racist comments. When he did finally start talking about it, he had a lot to say.

#1 – On his views of Sterling’s comments:

“What Donald said was wrong. It was abhorrent. There’s no place for racism in the NBA, any business I’m associated with, and I don’t want to be associated with people who have that position.”

#2 – On whether/how the NBA should respond:

“I think you’ve got to be very, very careful when you start making blanket statements about what people say and think, as opposed to what they do. It’s a very, very slippery slope.”

#3 – On suggestions that the NBA should ban Sterling from the league:

“If it’s about racism and we’re ready to kick people out of the league, OK? Then what about homophobia? What about somebody who doesn’t like a particular religion? What about somebody who’s anti-Semitic? What about a xenophobe?”

#4 – On what it all boils down to:

“In this country, people are allowed to be morons.”

Cuban’s quotes came as many other owners and coaches were calling for the NBA to force Sterling to step down.

While Sterling’s comments were certainly racist and just plain wrong, Cuban made a fantastic point that kicking someone out of the NBA for an opinion they voiced is a “slippery slope” that could quickly expand to comments about gay marriage, religion, etc.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Political Correctness is the real scourge that is eating away at our society.

Not a day passes where my hatred for Libtards doesn't increase in leaps and bounds.

It's just a shame that people are so totally bent out of shape over some old geezers idiotic comments, yet not a damned thing that the Obama Regime is doing gets any reaction.

People best pull their heads out of their asses.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Bothers me a lot...not that I agree with this a-hole but I thought this country had a little thing called free speech...guess not!
Free speech is not free, especially to billionaires.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline katzenjammer

Anybody else bothered that private conversations are now fair game for job actions?

Meanwhile, the carjackers-in-waiting jump in the stands attacking fans and beating up their wives and are lauded.

Who in the NBA ISN'T a criminal?

Yes it bothers me a lot.

The thing about this deal in particular, is that rather than owning a stand-alone business that should (in theory) be free to rise or fall based on the marketplace's reaction to the owner (even if I don't particularly like the way his private thoughts were publicized, they did nonetheless), he owns a team that is part of a league that operates in a coordinated manner to some key degrees.  Therefore, he is subject to the directives and dictates of the League as represented by the Commissioner.

And yes, it is a league of criminals playing to entertain criminals, to a large degree.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

I see that!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline katzenjammer

4 Extremely Rational Quotes Mark Cuban Made About Clippers’ Owner Donald Sterling’s Racist Comments
By Emily Hulsey
While Sterling’s comments were certainly racist and just plain wrong, Cuban made a fantastic point that kicking someone out of the NBA for an opinion they voiced is a “slippery slope” that could quickly expand to comments about gay marriage, religion, etc.

Yes, and while this action has been taken by a private entity (the NBA), with the kind of gubmint we have now, it is chilling.  Are you too outspoken about the right to life, maybe the IRS starts to come down hard (including SWAT raids) on your CPA practice and maybe even your clients.  Seen at too many Tea Party and/or Liberty meetings in the area, maybe OSHA and EPA need to start "inspecting" your company workshop, say once or twice a week....

I don't like the tenor of what I hear from our society as a whole on this whole issue.....  I have been flabbergasted at the number of people I hear calling sports talk shows that want the gubmint to seize his property as "punishment."  Not a good course, in my mind....    :shrug:

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
http://www.newsmax.com/NewsmaxTv/Rick-Santorum-Donald-Sterling-deserved-racially/2014/04/29/id/568489/

by Bill Hoffmann
April 29, 2014

Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling "got what he deserved" with a lifetime ban and $2.5 million fine from the National Basketball Association for his racially tinged remarks about blacks, former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum says.

The more I learn about this character, the more I question why wasn't this done a long time ago," Santorum told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV.

"This is nothing new in this guy's playbook, and obviously it's now out there in the public," he said Tuesday.

The NBA meted out the stiff punishment Tuesday after reviewing a taped phone conversation in which Sterling admonishes his girlfriend not to bring black people to Clippers games.

It also emerged this week that Sterling, a billionaire businessman, has had past issues with black people.

"I'm glad they reacted the way they did, it was appropriate," said Santorum, who is now CEO of EchoLight Studios, which produces PG-rated, family-friendly movies.

"[Sterling] certainly got what he deserved, and probably deserved for a while."

(excerpt, video and further transcript of interview at link above)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Political Correctness is the real scourge that is eating away at our society.

Not a day passes where my hatred for Libtards doesn't increase in leaps and bounds.

It's just a shame that people are so totally bent out of shape over some old geezers idiotic comments, yet not a damned thing that the Obama Regime is doing gets any reaction.

People best pull their heads out of their asses.

:beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lando Lincoln

Daniel Snyder better brace himself for a whole new push against his Washington Redskins.
John Steinbeck

Offline Lando Lincoln

John Steinbeck

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

That's really good - it shows the absurdity of the whole stupid issue!   :laughingdog: 

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

Whoa... this has absolutely nothing to do with free speech.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

There has been no action by Congress here for one, and two, free speech doesn't mean free from the possible consequences of exercising your right to speak freely.

He was free to say what he said and retains the freedom to continue saying it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:38:29 am by Luis Gonzalez »
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The point of the this whole story is that strange women equal trouble. And the more you have to lose, the more you should stay away from them.

{Women plus money} = trouble.

proof {1 + 1 = 2}
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
I understand part of the animosity between Sterling and the woman is that he gave her gifts valued at over $1.4 million.

The ex-wife demanded 50% of that $1.4...that were part of assets targeted in the divorce.

If $2.5 million in a fine is equivalent to $51.00 to him (based upon $1.9 Billion worth)....then shame on him.

He should have just written another check for "$23.00" to avoid all this.

LOL!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 02:50:14 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

SPQR

First, the mistress committed a crime for illegally taping a conversation without a party consent. California's wiretapping law is a "two-party consent" law. California makes it a crime to record or eavesdrop on any confidential communication, including a private conversation or telephone call, without the consent of all parties to the conversation. See Cal. Penal Code § 632. I would think that Mr. Sterling should consider legal action against his mistress over the taping of the conversation. But he decides to take that route, he should prepare himself for a lot of "pillowtalk" between him and his mistress splattered in court. Secondly, The NBA went way too far in this time. I would expect a investigation before an punishment to be given out. Mr. Sterling has not given the NBA his side of the story.

http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/california-recording-law
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:08:38 am by SPQR »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
WSJ Editor: NAACP Backed Sterling When He ‘Lined Their Own Pockets’
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 02:14:02 pm »
http://www.mediaite.com/online/wsj-editor-naacp-backed-sterling-when-he-lined-their-own-pockets/

WSJ Editor: NAACP Backed Sterling When He ‘Lined Their Own Pockets’
by Noah Rothman | 3:14 pm, April 29th, 2014

Jason Riley, the Wall Street Journal’s Political Diary editor, does not find the NAACP’s reaction to the controversy surrounding racist remarks made by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling to be particularly genuine. Riley noted that the NAACP gave Sterling a lifetime achievement award and was prepared to give him a second so long as they benefited financially from their association with him. Riley noted that this “pattern of behavior” from groups like the NAACP and MSNBC host and activist Rev. Al Sharpton.

“I don’t think that these comments are as surprising as the NAACP is pretending they are,” Riley began. “This man has a long history of paying to make lawsuits – anti-discrimination lawsuits – go away, and this has to deal with his non-basketball activities.”

RELATED: NAACP Head: Sterling Will Not Receive Lifetime Achievement Award

“The NAACP knows about this history, and yet gave him a lifetime achievement award and was about to give him a second one,” the WSJ editor continued.

“This is another example of how the civil rights movement has become an industry,” Riley added. “You have groups like the NAACP, Al Sharpton, Jesse Jackson, others who basically go around the country shaking down corporations and individuals for money.”

“This guy gave them money,” Reilly said of Sterling, “and that’s what’s most important to them.”

He said that the organizations and individuals he named care more about “lining their own pockets” than aiding the minority community. He cited these groups opposition to charter schools and the expansion of Wal-Mart stores while taking funds from labor and teachers unions. “So, there is a pattern here,” Riley asserted.

Riley closed by saying that President Barack Obama’s comments on the Sterling controvery were fine, but that the president is not supportive of “racial unity.”

“When you pal around with Al Sharpton, you are not into racial unity,” he concluded.

Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://toprightnews.com/?p=2777&fb_action_ids=10152124497050748&fb_action_types=og.likes

NBA Legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar Rips BOTH SIDES in Donald Sterling ‘Scandal’

by Top Right News on April 29, 2014

by Scott Aberdeen | Top Right Sports

The NBA players, media, and grievance mongers such as Al Sharpton are up in arms over vile L.A. Clippers owner Donald Sterling’s alleged racist remarks. But NBA legend Kareem Abdul-Jabbar today said a pox on both your houses – calling out the hypocrisy behind the whole affair and presenting by far the most rounded  – and surprisingly libertarian — view thus far.

Abdul-Jabbar, in an op-ed piece in TIME attacked the collective outrage emanating from America’s media over Sterling’s aremarks to his girlfriend, calling the publication of a private conversation “sleazy” and wondering why earlier, more public manifestations of racism failed to shock those such as Al Sharpton, and the NAACP.

Abdul-Jabbar explains that we’re witnessing a veritable “finger-wagging Olympics . . . all over the latest in a long line of rich white celebrities to come out of the racist closet.”

“Yes, I’m angry, too,” Abdul-Jabbar admits, “but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list.”

That list includes Sterling’s girlfriend, V. Stiviano, whose voice is heard on the racially-loaded tape and who likely set the Clippers’ owner up.

“Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out,” he mocked. “She was like a sexy nanny playing ‘pin the fried chicken on the Sambo.’ She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.”

And speaking of the news media? “They caught big game on a slow news day,” Abdul-Jabbar explained, “so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whooping.”

The former NBA all-star, who played for the Milwaukee Bucks and L.A. Lakers from 1969 to 1989, has no sympathy for Sterling. But he is upset that everyone is acting so surprised, noting that the NBA owner has said offensive comments in the past and has been sued over both housing and employment discrimination.

The NAACP “did nothing” after Sterling was forced to pay a staggering $3 million fine for denying housing to Blacks, saying they “smell, and attract vermin,” Abdul-Jabbar noted. They were even going to present Sterling with an NAACP award on May 15th, with the Rev. Al Sharpton on hand. “Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?”

Abdul-Jabbar is correct, but it is worse than that. The NAACP accepted multiple grants from the Donald T. Sterling Charitable Foundation and handed Sterling several “image awards” — despite full knowledge of his prior, massive fine for discrimination against Blacks in his slumlord housing.

Abdul-Jabbar, perhaps channeling his closet libertarianism, also blasted the fact that Sterling’s private conversation — however racist — was suddenly broadcast nationwide.

“Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way?” he asked, comparing the secret tape-recording to Mitt Romney’s embarrassing 47 percent remark, recorded without the then-candidate’s knowledge.

“The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime,” Abdul-Jabbar fumed. “We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.”

“So, if we’re all going to be outraged,” the former NBA star wrapped up, “let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on ‘Celebrity Apprentice’ and ‘Dancing with the Stars.’”

Brilliant.
Support the USO

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
He's absolutely right. 

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
UCLA Returns Clippers' Owner's $3 Million for Kidney Research
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2014, 05:24:54 pm »
http://www.breitbart.com/Breitbart-California/2014/04/30/UCLA-Returns-Clippers-Owner-s-3-Million-for-Kidney-Research

by Joel B. Pollak 30 Apr 2014, 6:00 AM PDT

UCLA announced Tuesday that it would reject a $3 million donation by Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling, and would return the portion of that donation that had already been delivered, local CBS news affiliate KNX reports. The announcement is the latest public repudiation of Sterling after his privately expressed racist comments were recorded and exposed, and comes as the NBA prepares to force Sterling to sell his team.

NBA commissioner Adam Silver announced Tuesday that Silver would be banned for life from any association with the league or his franchise. That decision satisfied many fans, but the public rejection of Sterling has only just begun. The Los Angeles City Council, for example, unanimously passed a resolution urging local news outlets to reject advertising for Sterling's businesses, and expressed the city's outrage at his remarks.

UCLA's decision to reject Sterling's donation may have helped it avoid public relations problems, as Sterling had previously placed ads touting the donation and claiming a laboratory was being named for him. "Mr. Sterling’s divisive and hurtful comments demonstrate that he does not share UCLA’s core values as a public university that fosters diversity, inclusion and respect," UCLA said in a statement reported by Yahoo! Sports.

There is a precedent for universities returning donations from figures with extreme views. Harvard, for example, returned $2.5 million for Islamic studies from the president of the United Arab Emirates in 2004 after a student pointed out his ties to a think tank that promoted anti-American and antisemitic views. However, the cost to research at UCLA is significant, and many patients might have benefited from treatments that resulted.
Support the USO

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Re: UCLA Returns Clippers' Owner's $3 Million for Kidney Research
« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2014, 05:33:33 pm »
Well now that is just dumb...what does kidney research have to do with all this?  Keep his money and do some good with it.  We are just getting nutty about jumping on bandwagons.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline Scottftlc

• Certified free of TDS
Intelligent take on this from Jabbar.
Well, George Lewis told the Englishman, the Italian and the Jew
You can't open your mind, boys, to every conceivable point of view

...Bob Dylan

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2014, 06:28:34 pm »
Well now that is just dumb...what does kidney research have to do with all this?  Keep his money and do some good with it.  We are just getting nutty about jumping on bandwagons.

You took the words right off my keyboard.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2014, 06:49:48 pm »
Gee, I hope no one dies unnecessarily as a result of this fit of pique.