Author Topic: McCain: Cruz 'Crossed Line' by Mocking GOP Presidential Losers  (Read 10043 times)

Oceander

Re: McCain: Cruz 'Crossed Line' by Mocking GOP Presidential Losers
« Reply #125 on: March 09, 2014, 07:28:34 pm »
Here you go:  Supports the Constitution, particularly the First and Second Amendments, Supports free enterprise, supports limited government, prioritizes and supports America and its citizens including their defense,  supports lower taxes, supports Judeo Christian ethics, is against unnecessary regulation by big government, is against amnesty, is against abortion, is against gay marriage, is against deficit spending, is against political correctness and is against discrimination based on race (affirmative action).

Ok.  And there are plenty of reasons why I would not vote for a so-called "true conservative."  Why isn't the Fourth Amendment, or any of the other amendments, or the rest of the Constitution, just as important as the First and Second Amendments?  While we're at it, why have conservatives so often pushed to make it a crime to burn the American flag?  One cannot pick and choose who gets the benefit of the First Amendment.  Second, the number of inconsistencies implicit in that list are frightening.  Limited government is inconsistent with being against gay marriage because it interposes the State between two individuals.  Furthermore, the recognition of various relationships between individuals and the attendant legal obligations is generally a matter of state law - one of the amendments you downplay - and so the federal government's presence in the issue of gay marriage is doubly offensive.  Abortion is another issue where the government has no business, and yet conservatives consistently want the federal government to ban abortion.  A blanket opposition to amnesty in any way shape or form is simply a refusal to recognize reality, and I'd rather not vote for someone who cannot discern reality.  Deficit spending?  Then I suppose a true conservative would be opposed to people using mortgages to buy a house?  Borrowing to buy a house is deficit spending.

Oceander

« Reply #126 on: March 09, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »
Good gosh!  I hope Rachel Maddow doesn't see this post.  It's sounds like something she would care to emulate and use.

If we wish to go there:  why would she bother with that when she can just play up the suicidal in-fighting between so-called conservatives and so-called moderates in the GOP?  Gosh but that gives her plenty of red meat to chew on.

Oceander

« Reply #127 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:24 pm »
What makes you think going hard right with a nominee will do any better than Goldwater did?

(Goldwater btw would fail as a "true conservative" today, as would  Eisenhower, Goldwater, Nixon, Reagan, Ford, Bush I and Bush II.)

IOW NOBODY can live up to the ideas held by a narrow, but deep and loud minority of center-right citizens.

GOP moderates won several elections. True conservatives but one, and have to distort his true more moderate record about abortion, about immigration, about taxes etc.

who was the one "true conservative" who won an election?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #128 on: March 09, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
Of course.....but wait until you have a majority in BOTH houses and the WH before you do so.

Why allow the LEFT to destroy us before we even put a baseball bat in our hands?

Because compulsory, taxpayer-funded abortion is morally wrong, that's why, and we need to say so. But we must understand how to say it, and in what context. The problem with our current GOP leaders is that they are unwilling to address the issue nor to provide any context to it. Our problems as a nation are great, and this is only one element among many. But it needs to be addressed calmly, reasonably and with reference to shared moral values, the assault upon which is rending the very fabric of our society.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #129 on: March 09, 2014, 07:39:57 pm »
Why is it some are so afraid to have this long past due discussion... fight... whatever... and will do anything to shut them down.  The GOP is bleeding voters... I'm one that left.. and they are bleeding because of the Doles, McCAin's and even Romney's... remember Romneycare?  You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear no matter how hard you try.  Instead of telling us conservatives to shut up, sit down and be seen, not heard, but be sure to vote in November. Tell us what makes YOUR progressive Republican candidates vote worthy.  Tell us why your position is any more important than mine..
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #130 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:59 pm »
Because compulsory, taxpayer-funded abortion is morally wrong, that's why, and we need to say so. But we must understand how to say it, and in what context. The problem with our current GOP leaders is that they are unwilling to address the issue nor to provide any context to it. Our problems as a nation are great, and this is only one element among many. But it needs to be addressed calmly, reasonably and with reference to shared moral values, the assault upon which is rending the very fabric of our society.

Totally agree, Andy!

...but as Christie said...getting him a standing ovation....".....first, you need to WIN!  Then you can fix things that need fixin...." (paraphrased)
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #131 on: March 09, 2014, 07:55:47 pm »
Why is it some are so afraid to have this long past due discussion... fight... whatever... and will do anything to shut them down.  The GOP is bleeding voters... I'm one that left.. and they are bleeding because of the Doles, McCAin's and even Romney's... remember Romneycare?  You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear no matter how hard you try.  Instead of telling us conservatives to shut up, sit down and be seen, not heard, but be sure to vote in November. Tell us what makes YOUR progressive Republican candidates vote worthy.  Tell us why your position is any more important than mine..

The GOP is 'bleeding' voters.......is a misnomer.

They're still here....given the opposition.

But they're sure pi$$ing a lot of them off!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #132 on: March 09, 2014, 08:12:42 pm »
No, he left it clear to the audience that McCain, Dole and Romney are not true Conservatives.  Indeed, they are not.

You're right, they're not extremists in the Cruz mold.  But they ARE conservatives.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #133 on: March 09, 2014, 08:14:32 pm »
Totally agree, Andy!

...but as Christie said...getting him a standing ovation....".....first, you need to WIN!  Then you can fix things that need fixin...." (paraphrased)

Okay, but I think we need to take it a step further: the only way you win is by being able to convincingly explain the "why" of your argument, or at least to do so better than your opponent.

Too many Republicans have forgotten how to explain first principles, and have settled for allowing their adversaries to both define them and to frame the terms of debate. They allow the Left to employ deceptive rhetorical techniques and logical fallacies in place of reasoned argument. The answer therefore is not to appeal to emotion, prejudice or personal attacks, but rather to have the courage of one's convictions and the ability to calmly and convincingly explain those convictions. Also, Republicans must refuse to allow Leftists to employ their (often) Alinsky-influenced techniques: specifically, changing the subject away from the validity of their own arguments to the character and intentions of the person they are arguing with.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #134 on: March 09, 2014, 08:24:05 pm »
You're right, they're not extremists in the Cruz mold.  But they ARE conservatives.

Mitt Romney is in fact a conservative, but one sadly unwilling or unable to defend his positions in language that appealed to a broad audience, and perhaps more to his detriment, unwilling to defend himself against even the ugliest Leftist invective. He was also saddled with Washington-based Political Class advisers who believe in nothing but power as an end in itself, and who, not coincidentally despise and look down upon the average conservative American voter.

McCain and Dole for their part ran as big-government Progressives who believe in just a little less statism than do Democrats. That is and will continue to be, a losing proposition.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #135 on: March 09, 2014, 08:33:40 pm »
They have yet to do it here and, with all due respect, Myst and R4P&C are not exactly "complicit media."

I call bull on that as well!

It happens all the time here but there seems to be little interest from anyone when it does!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #136 on: March 09, 2014, 08:35:28 pm »
I call bull on that as well!

It happens all the time here but there seems to be little interest from anyone when it does!

.....which is the way free speech and proper decorum works.   :beer:

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #137 on: March 09, 2014, 08:38:34 pm »
.....which is the way free speech and proper decorum works.   :beer:

I agree! And it also points out the fact that very few people here want to discuss actual POLICY in any depth. All they seem to want to do is make sure that THEIR particular ox doesn't get gored!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:39:00 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2014, 08:59:52 pm »
I have one serious question....

Why is it too difficult for Conservatives to drop "abortion/gay marriage" from their lexicon of issues/planks?

Just STFU about it.   Don't speak it.   Treat it like our own little "N" word.

My point is that it's a stellar list of things to be for....and should coalesce enough cross-over voters without alienating up to 50% of the electorate.

I am no sure but I do believe that Cruz and or Rand Paul has said abortion is a state issue. I agree with you that the media needs shut down on their gotcha questions regarding social issues. States rights is the answer. I also agree with the other comment that abortion is a libertarian issue as no one wants to pay for Tammy W. Trash's abortion via Obamacare tax. On the other hand the media has really flipped out about Matt thanking God at the awards show. Remember when Dubya was asked who his hero was and he said Jesus? Nowadays someone gets criticized for thanking God but it is okay to allow the muslims to sue because they did not get to grab their prayer rug and go to their holy place for ramadan? The left tolerate their religion which is fascist marxism and their master is Obama. But Christianity is taboo and extreme to them. They are mentally ill and brainwashed.

Why doesn't any of the Fox people ever moderate debates? Brett or Greta or one of the ladies? Krauthammer would be ideal for debate moderator.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:20 pm »
As you wish; would that I could persuade you otherwise.  To be honest, however, I don't see nearly as much black-and-white as you do.  Conservatives have their own pet oxen and they squeal just as loudly when those oxen are gored as do the moderates and the dems/libs/progs.  Case in point: Ryan's changes to the retirement benefits for the military.  Just about everyone cheered loudly when Ryan proposed exactly the same sorts of changes to social security back in 2012 and before, but when it comes to the military ox, the shrieking is as loud as were the cheers.  The fact of the matter is, Ryan's cuts are sensible and should be implemented, and since everything has to start somewhere, and since the democrat/lib/prog resistance to those changes is least where the military is concerned, that was the best place to start.  Not only that, it presented a very nice political optic:  a true leader is one who is willing, when necessary, to gore his own ox first in order to convince everyone else that their oxen should be gored as well.  But that opportunity was chucked, and Ryan villified, because conservatives don't want their oxen gored any more than do moderates or democrats/libs/progs.
I'm not so sure if it is really about either of us (or anyone else here) persuading each other of anything.  I think that it is more of watching to see how things play out.  I only state my opinions on what I see happening around me, and of course, my own personal thoughts.  I just happen to believe that there is a much larger (and substantive) chasm across what we call the GOPe and "Tea Party" camps.  I could certainly be proven wrong about that.

Regarding your Ryan "military cuts" point, I have three comments:
1.  I understand your reasoning, it certainly makes sense in a rational world.  I just don't see it working in our current environment, as what you describe would require a good faith bargaining effort from the other side.  I simply don't see them being willing to make any substantive cuts on anything, regardless of how Paul Ryan or anyone else on the GOP side is willing to step forward first.  They'll gladly agree to his cuts knowing that it will just enrage his constituency, and offer none of their own.  That's how these folks play it.  And if the GOP insists on taking this "I'll go first" attitude, especially in offering up retired military personnel and their families as the initial offering, it is just going to further alienate the base at a time that it can least afford to do so.
2.  I agree that there are simply too many "scared cows" from both sides.  It does disappoint me when I am in a TP crowd and all of the cries for cutting spending and making gubmint live within its means suddenly go silent when something near and dear to their hearts is brought onto the table.  We will get nowhere fast with this prevailing attitude.
3.  The amounts of these "cuts" are barely above the level of rounding errors when we consider the trillions being spent and the tens (some measures already put the unfunded liabilities in the $1nn Trillions level) of Trillions that have been racked up as "debt" (we can bicker on the nature of its classification but it is certainly there, the "promises" have been made, the payouts expected, and each year we add to it at an ever increasing rate).  So I personally can't get all worked up about whether or not any of these tiny gestures ever take hold, or not.

So, we can all talk back and forth on these topics, and soon enough we will see how the cards are going to be played; I think that November 2014 will be illuminating.  I think that we can agree that we certainly "fundamentally want the same thing," it is just a matter of seeing how the players on the field in DC go about deciding if the majority of them do as well.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #140 on: March 09, 2014, 09:47:03 pm »

Because almost everyone here certainly recognizes the weight (gravity) of the matter, and the lateness as well.  A lot of very closely held beliefs (and hopes) are laid bare on the table in this discussion.  A lot of pain is necessarily felt when matters like this are cracked open and exposed to the light of day.  So it is human nature to some extent to simply want it to all be put back in the bottle as fast as it can be.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #141 on: March 09, 2014, 09:49:26 pm »
   So it is human nature to some extent to simply want it to all be put back in the bottle as fast as it can be.

I don't think it will work this time no matter how uncomfortable the discussion makes some people. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #142 on: March 09, 2014, 09:52:59 pm »
I don't think it will work this time no matter how uncomfortable the discussion makes some people.

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  In my view, the time to have had this discussion ideally would have been 100 years ago.  At the latest, 50 years ago.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #143 on: March 09, 2014, 09:59:07 pm »
Oh, I agree wholeheartedly.  In my view, the time to have had this discussion ideally would have been 100 years ago.  At the latest, 50 years ago.

Agreed.

Look at what the GOP tried desperately to do to Reagan.  If we'd had these boards back then we'd have been having these exact same discussions.  Reagan had to fight the elite in party and they hated him for it...   As soon as he left office his VP could not wait as the new president to move the party back to "their" more comfortable position.  Had he continued to steer the course of Reagan there likely would never have been a successful Ross Perot challenge and he would have been a two-term president - saving us from Clinton.

Offline xyno

« Reply #144 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:38 pm »
Okay a series of hypotheticals with a common theme:

Is there anyone here who will vote for Hillary if Cruz is the nominee?

What about Christie?

Or Rand Paul?

Or Palin?

You see, we have far more in common than not.

(I know, I know... there are some who would choose not to vote in some cases.  Frankly, they have nothing to say as far as I am concerned.)

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #145 on: March 09, 2014, 10:10:24 pm »
Is there anyone here who will vote for Hillary if Cruz is the nominee?

Of that I have no doubt.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline xyno

« Reply #146 on: March 09, 2014, 10:10:52 pm »

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #147 on: March 09, 2014, 10:18:00 pm »

:thumbsup:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #148 on: March 09, 2014, 10:35:23 pm »
Of that I have no doubt.

Totally unnecessary imho.   

....and untrue to boot.

Offline DCPatriot

« Reply #149 on: March 09, 2014, 10:36:42 pm »
Names

Relax....not going to happen.