Author Topic: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China  (Read 72490 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Malaysia Airlines Flight Goes Missing En Route to China
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2014, 05:13:33 pm »
Not flying again.

March 3, 1974: 346 people are killed when a Turkish Airlines DC-10 experiences a sudden decompression shortly after takeoff from Paris and slams into a park in Ermeonville, France.
March 27, 1977: A KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Boeing 747 beginning its takeoff crashed into Pan American World Airways Boeing 747 then still on the runway at the Los Rodeos Airport at Tenerife in the Canary Islands. A total of 574 people, aboard both planes, died.
May 25, 1979: The left wing of an American Airlines DC-10 falls off as it's trying to take off from Chicago's O'Hare International Airport, setting off chaos that results in 275 deaths on board and three others on the ground. The Federal Aviation Administration later faults American Airlines maintenance techniques for the crash for Flight 191.
November 28, 1979: Some 275 people died when their Air New Zealand plane, a DC-10, hits Mt. Erebus on Antarctica -- a crash that it believed to stem from navigational error.
August 12, 1985: The deadliest-ever commercial air crash involving a single plane occurred nearly 30 years ago in the mountains of central Japan. A total of 520 people were killed when Japan Airlines Flight 123 -- a Boeing 747 -- crashed not long after takeoff from Tokyo. Four people miraculously survived.
May 26, 1991: Twelve minutes after takeoff, Lauda Air's Flight 004 stalls in midair. The Boeing 767 ultimately crashes some 70 miles northwest of Bangkok, Thailand, killing all 223 passengers and crew.
July 11, 1991: The landing gear of a Nigeria Airways DC-8 catches fire shortly after takeoff Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. It doesn't make it back to the airport, crashing nose-down less than 10,000 feet short of the runway and killing all 261 people aboard.
April 26, 1994: The pilot of a China Airlines' Flight 140 alerts the control tower at Japan's Nagoya Airport of his intention not to land and try another approach. But something goes wrong and, a short time later, the Airbus A300 crashes leading to 264 fatalities -- though a few passengers do survive.
July 17, 1996: TWA Flight 800 explodes in mid-air shortly after takeoff from New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport, then falls into pieces off the coast of Long Island. All 230 aboard die. The National Transportation Safety Board later blames the blast on an electrical short circuit that found its way into the center wing fuel tank.
November 12, 1996: A Saudi Arabian Airlines Boeing 747 and a Kazakhstan Airlines II-76 collide over the airport in New Delhi, India, killing 349 people on both airplanes.
August 6, 1997: Flight 801 that had left Seoul, South Korea, was near its final destination in Guam when it smacked into a jungle and hit the ground. The plane, a Boeing 747, was destroyed and 228 people were killed, though there were 26 survivors.
September 26, 1997: Garuda Indonesia airlines' Flight 152 crashes in Buah Nabar, Indonesia, killing 234 people. A National Transportation Safety Board report issued three years later found the crash's most likely cause was an electrical short circuit in the Airbus A300 that ignited vapors in the fuel tank.
February 16, 1998: Flying through rain and fog, the crew of China Airlines' Flight 676 from Indonesia to Taiwan requests another landing approach at Taipei International Airport. In the process of turning around, the aircraft crashes into a neighborhood, killing all 196 aboard and another seven on the ground.
September 2, 1998: A Swissair jetliner that had departed New York's Kennedy airport on its way to Geneva, Switzerland, goes down off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada; none of the 229 people aboard Flight 111 make it. Investigators believe that the MD-11 lost all electrical power immediately before the crash.
November 12, 2001: A few weeks after the 9/11 terrorist attack, American Airlines' Flight 587 stirs fears and panic when it plummets into Belle Harbor, Queens. Despite the initial concerns, the National Transportation Safety Board found no evidence of sabotage. Still the Airbus A300 crash had a huge toll -- the highest, in fact, for any single airliner crash in U.S. history -- with all 260 dead on the plane killed plus five more innocents on the ground.
May 25, 2002: Twenty minutes after takeoff, China Airlines' Flight 611 plummets into the Taiwan Strait -- resulting in 225 fatalities. The crash is later attributed to metal fatigue and cracks throughout the Boeing 747.
June 1, 2009: Air France Flight 447 is en route from Rio de Janiero to Paris when it and its 228 passengers and crew go missing somewhere over the Atlantic Ocean. It's not until five days later that the first bodies are found about 600 miles off the northern coast of Brazil. Two years later, French authorities blame the crash on equipment malfunction.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2014, 05:14:24 pm »

Stolen European passports on missing plane
Associated Press
By COLLEEN BARRY 2 hours ago

MILAN (AP) — Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is traveling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

A foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed Italian reports that Luigi Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

Italian news agency ANSA says Maraldi called home after hearing reports that an Italian with his name was aboard the plane.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss confirmed that a name listed on the manifest matches an Austrian passport reported stolen two years ago in Thailand. Weiss would not confirm the identity.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:22 pm »
Stolen European passports on missing plane
Associated Press
By COLLEEN BARRY 2 hours ago

MILAN (AP) — Foreign ministry officials in Rome and Vienna confirm that names of two nationals listed on the manifest of the missing Malaysian airlines flight match passports reported stolen in Thailand.

Italy's Foreign Ministry said Saturday that an Italian man whose name was listed as being aboard is traveling in Thailand and was not aboard the plane.

A foreign ministry functionary, who spoke on condition of anonymity, confirmed Italian reports that Luigi Maraldi had reported his passport stolen last August.

Italian news agency ANSA says Maraldi called home after hearing reports that an Italian with his name was aboard the plane.

Austrian Foreign Ministry spokesman Martin Weiss confirmed that a name listed on the manifest matches an Austrian passport reported stolen two years ago in Thailand. Weiss would not confirm the identity.
\

One would think that is they're going to make you remove your shoes and provide photo identification to board a plane, that they would also take a photo of each passenger holding up their passport next to their face.

This way, they'd know who's using a stolen passport....in case something happens like this event.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2014, 05:18:43 pm »
An explosion would leave a debris field.  No debris field has been found, just two oil slicks.

Give them time.  A breakup at that altitude would spread debris over an extremely wide area.  Depending on the level of breakup, there may not be a lot of large pieces left.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2014, 05:22:37 pm »
Not flying again.

You have a much greater chance of being killed the next time you drive your car than dying in a plane crash.

Based on the averages, to be involved in a plane crash, you must fly once a day, everyday, for 30,000 years.  Even then, the odds are you would survive.

The only reason plane crashes are big news, is because they are so rare.

I'm flying twice in May, and am not worried.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #80 on: March 08, 2014, 05:28:02 pm »
It comes down to the mechanics servicing the planes really.

There's no such thing as a minor emergency at 35,000 ft.

I can pull over to the side of the road and step out of a car.....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #81 on: March 08, 2014, 05:30:55 pm »
Averages don't mean anything if you are that one in a million...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #82 on: March 08, 2014, 05:39:28 pm »
You have a much greater chance of being killed the next time you drive your car than dying in a plane crash.

Based on the averages, to be involved in a plane crash, you must fly once a day, everyday, for 30,000 years.  Even then, the odds are you would survive.

The only reason plane crashes are big news, is because they are so rare.

I'm flying twice in May, and am not worried.
Good for you, really.

I have had two incidents on planes that now have me not wanting to board a commercial plane again. I did not fly every day but I did fly world wide and the two incidents were domestic CONUS.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #83 on: March 08, 2014, 05:41:32 pm »
It's not the risk (or even the closed in feeling of that sealed cabin!!) that keeps me off of planes.  It's the shredding of my rights that I must endure to step aboard....

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2014, 05:56:41 pm »
It is unusual for one person to board a plane with a stolen passport and very rare for two to do it, terrorism analysts say.
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/stolen-passports-prompt-terror-concerns-missing-jet-officials-say-n47861

Oceander

« Reply #85 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:01 pm »
An explosion would leave a debris field.  No debris field has been found, just two oil slicks.

absence of evidence, at least at this early point in time, is not evidence of absence.

Oceander

« Reply #86 on: March 08, 2014, 06:04:59 pm »
It's not the risk (or even the closed in feeling of that sealed cabin!!) that keeps me off of planes.  It's the shredding of my rights that I must endure to step aboard....

I agree completely.  My parents were foreign service officers so we used to travel by plane all the time.  It used to be my favorite form of travel until the federal government turned it into a rights shredder.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #87 on: March 08, 2014, 06:21:31 pm »
I agree completely.  My parents were foreign service officers so we used to travel by plane all the time.  It used to be my favorite form of travel until the federal government turned it into a rights shredder.

I look back fondly at airline travel, I was very fortunate to travel to many countries across four continents for business, all before things changed.  I just now miss the convenience of domestic US air travel, and I seriously doubt that it will ever return to the way it was, even 15 years ago.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #88 on: March 08, 2014, 07:54:03 pm »

I've also had very close calls and still loved to fly until TSA turns it into a nightmare
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #89 on: March 08, 2014, 07:55:30 pm »
If the plane exploded at 35000 ft. The debris will likely be small and scattered.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #90 on: March 08, 2014, 08:02:21 pm »
I look back fondly at airline travel, I was very fortunate to travel to many countries across four continents for business, all before things changed.  I just now miss the convenience of domestic US air travel, and I seriously doubt that it will ever return to the way it was, even 15 years ago.

I have more airline miles on me than most of the pilots flying today dues to having done consulting work in the oil, gas, and petrochemical industries for many years but all of it was before things changed! I don't fly at all today and the EXACT reason for that is the fact that I must be dehumanized and stripped of my rights if I want to fly commercially! I don't need it that badly!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #91 on: March 09, 2014, 12:01:08 am »
20 employees of a Texas company were on the plane.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #92 on: March 09, 2014, 02:55:30 am »
http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/texas-man-among-239-missing-jet-n48061

Texas Man Among 239 on Missing Jet

A Texas man is one of the three Americans who boarded the Malaysia Airlines flight that vanished from radar without a distress signal over the South China Sea with 239 people on board.

Philip Wood, 50, works for IBM. His family told NBC DFW the American Embassy informed them Wood was on the plane.

Wood's mother told NBC DFW her son was living in Beijing and about to move to Kaula Lampur. Sandra Wood also said her son had visited last week and she felt at peace to have seen him recently.

Aboard the jetliner were 227 passengers and 12 crew. Most of the passengers were Chinese. Three were Americans — Wood and two children, according to the passenger manifest.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #93 on: March 09, 2014, 03:04:40 am »
Our 7th Fleet is moving into the area to assist in the search.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #94 on: March 09, 2014, 03:06:23 am »
katzenjammer wrote:
[[ It's not the risk (or even the closed in feeling of that sealed cabin!!) that keeps me off of planes.  It's the shredding of my rights that I must endure to step aboard.... ]]

Indeed.

I have not been on a commercial jetliner since 1984.

I will not be setting foot on one again.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #95 on: March 09, 2014, 03:12:23 am »
NTSB and FBI are heading to the supposed crash scene as well.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #96 on: March 09, 2014, 03:27:19 am »
TWITTER

WSJ Asia@WSJAsia
RT @ByJasonNg: Malaysia widens search of missing #MH370 jet to some unexpected place http://t.co/9JlILbZikV
NOWASIA
Search for Malaysia Airlines Flight Enters Second Day
Two Passengers Appear to Have Boarded Using Stolen Passports

The search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 continued for a second day amid news that two passengers appeared to have boarded using stolen passports.

Malaysia Airlines Hires Disaster Relief Expert from Atlanta
Malaysia Airlines has hired an unnamed disaster relief expert from Atlanta and is scouting possible locations for an operations command center more than 24 hours after an airliner carrying 239 passengers disappeared.

“In fearing for the worst, a disaster recovery management specialist from Atlanta, USA, will be assisting Malaysia Airlines in this crucial time,” the carrier said in a statement.

It said a command center to coordinate efforts would be set up in Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam or Kota Bharu along the eastern coast of peninsular Malaysia.

Malaysia Airlines said a senior management team had arrived in Beijing to provide information and support to the families of passengers.

–Jake Maxwell Watts and Gaurav Raghuvanshi

NOWVIDEO
Malaysia’s Civil Aviation Chief: Search Is Ongoing

2 MINS AGO TWITTER

WSJ Asia@WSJAsia
2 listed on missing Malaysia Airlines flight #MH370 weren't on board and had reported passports stolen. http://t.co/8vO9lsbDsJ
2 MINS AGO TWITTER

Newley Purnell@newley
Our latest on Malaysian jet #MH370, with graphic showing location of possible oil slicks: http://t.co/csVqJbrEUs http://t.co/R8QjvMzx1Q
3 MINS AGOSOUTHEAST ASIA REAL TIME
Couple on Missing Flight Headed for Honeymoon
One couple on missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was headed to Beijing for a honeymoon to celebrate their wedding of two years ago, relatives said Sunday.
By Celine Fernandez

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia –One couple on missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370 was headed to Beijing for a honeymoon to celebrate their wedding of two years ago, relatives said Sunday.

Norli Akmar Hamid and her husband Muhammad Razahan Zamani were on the flight that went missing in the wee hours of Saturday after taking off from Kuala Lumpur on its way to Beijing. A massive effort is under way to find the plane.

Relatives spoke to The Wall Street Journal of the couple’s honeymoon plans. The relatives  are staying near the Kuala Lumpur International Airport at the Everly Hotel, where as many as 10 floors are reserved for family of passengers on the missing flight. They are receiving counseling.

Several family members, who didn’t want to be identified, spoke briefly to The Wall Street Journal and said they had not been told what happened to the flight.

One woman said she her daughter-in-law was on the flight.

“I feel so sorry for my son,” she said. “He and my husband will fly to where they tell us to go. So far we don’t know where.”

Malaysia Airlines said Sunday it is helping family members with emotional counseling and  travel needs.

“The airline is doing its utmost to provide support to the affected family members, this includes immediate financial aid,” the airlines said in a statement.

Malaysia Airlines said its team of caregivers continues to meet with family  in Beijing and Kuala Lumpur. It is sending more “caregivers” to Beijing today.

The airlines said it will set up a command center at Kota Bharu, Malaysia, or Ho Chi Minh City when it is clear where the plane is located.

“In fearing for the worst, a disaster recovery management specialist from Atlanta in the U.S. will be assisting Malaysia Airlines in this crucial time,” the statement said.

Comments »CloseOriginal Article Format »
9 MINS AGO TWITTER

Jason Ng@ByJasonNg
Malaysia widens search of missing #MH370 jet to some unexpected place http://t.co/9JlILbZikV
14 MINS AGO TWITTER

Rob Taylor@WSJRobTaylor
Latest on #MH370. Stolen Passports Surface as Hunt Narrows for Malaysian Jet http://t.co/gMPrHzAV8c
21 MINS AGOSOUTHEAST ASIA REAL TIME
Malaysia Widens Search of Missing Jet – To Strait of Malacca
Malaysian authorities are widening their search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 to some unexpected places, including the narrow Strait of Malacca on the opposite side of the country from where the plane was last spotted.

Open
22 MINS AGO TWITTER

WSJ Asia@WSJAsia
Chinese Foreign Minister on missing Malaysia plane: "We're doing all we can to get more details." http://t.co/rMu6wBN81f #MH370

http://stream.wsj.com/story/malaysia-airlines-flight-370/SS-2-475558/

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #97 on: March 09, 2014, 04:33:08 am »
JournoDannyAsia 1h

Passenger on Beijing/KL flight spots debris in sea today. 3rd of 3 pics. MH370 Malaysia Airlines @SCMP_News pic.twitter.com/2ThCgduKkJ

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #98 on: March 09, 2014, 04:34:28 am »
@BrendanScott 1h

Four probed passengers bought through China Southern RT @JournoDannyAsia: BREAKING: Reuters - 2 more passengers identities being probed

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #99 on: March 09, 2014, 04:34:58 am »
@JournoDannyAsia yep, on wire: "The passengers being checked had all bought their tickets through China Southern Airlines"