Author Topic: Academy Awards  (Read 15043 times)

Online mountaineer

Re: Academy Awards
« Reply #125 on: March 03, 2014, 12:51:09 pm »
Eight peculiar moments from the Academy Awards:
Even normally capricious Hollywood stars are on their best behavior on Oscar night, so you’re not likely to see wackiness Jacqueline Bisset exhibited at the Golden Globes. Still, there were enough peculiar moments to warrant a mention.

1. Kim Novak. She presented an award early in the evening with a gallant Matthew McConaughey. Novak left films long ago—or maybe they left her. But what was going on with her face? What substance lived in her lips? Looking like Cesar Romero on Batman and sounding like Jimmy Durante, the hoarse Novak got through the presentation but left us wondering whether extreme plastic surgery shouldn’t be illegal in Hollywood.

2. John Travolta. Did he make it to rehearsal? He introduced Idina Menzel, who sang Best Song nominee (and winner) “Let It Go” as Adele Nazeem. Huh?

3. Bono. Totally missed the high notes on his own performance of the song “Ordinary Love.” And he has been those tinted glasses—thank God they’re not orange anymore—for far too long.

4. Charlize Theron. Another gaffe. The Oscar winner missed her cue to read the nominees and started laughing at her mistake. “Is that me?” she asked. Thankfully, she’s not doing a play on Broadway.

5. Whoopi and Pink. In introducing Pink before she sang “Over the Rainbow,” Whoopi called the singer Alecia Moore, her real name. “Or what I call her back at the house.” Which house, Whoopi? How close are you two, really?

6. Bette Midler was so moved by her own (mediocre) performance of “Wind Beneath My Wings” that she cried at the end.

7. John Ridley. In his acceptance speech for the screenplay for “12 Years a Slave,” Ridley did not thank director and producer Steve McQueen.

8. Cate Blanchett. Gamely saluting the performances of the other actors in her category, Blanchett hit the odd off note when she said to “Gravity” star Sandra Bullock, “I could watch your performance til the end of time and sort of felt that I had.” Ouch.
NY Post
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

« Reply #126 on: March 03, 2014, 12:54:54 pm »
Oscars full of grammar flubs and mispronunciations. Says Ellen's performance was "bland and tired."

I watched a show about baby animals who live in cold climates. It was nice.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #127 on: March 03, 2014, 01:45:05 pm »
Cate Blanchette Best Actress - Blue Jasmine (a Woody Allen movie)

Blanchette's performance in that movie was amazing.  I knew she'd get the Oscar when I saw Blue Jasmine last summer.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #128 on: March 03, 2014, 01:48:57 pm »
I guess this is as good of a time to post this pic as any. Someone went heavy on the tanning that year. (more to come) (He was a Senior when I was a Freshman so no, I didn't know him)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:50:34 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #129 on: March 03, 2014, 01:53:59 pm »
My friend Cathy who went to Prom with Matthew is scanning and posting a bunch of photos. I'll just post one more.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline aligncare

« Reply #130 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:09 pm »
There was a time when Hollywood was great. Recall Bob Hope hosted the Oscars for years and years, as did Johnny Carson. Even Billy Crystal added a touch of class to the Academy Awards. Today?...meh.

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #131 on: March 03, 2014, 02:08:08 pm »
Oscars full of grammar flubs and mispronunciations. Says Ellen's performance was "bland and tired."

Mostly, i watched Downton Abbey until that was over.  After that I switched over and caught all the big awards.

« Reply #132 on: March 03, 2014, 03:08:54 pm »

Lupita right after her win

Love her dress!  Soft, feminine, elegant and flattering.   I didn't watch the Oscars last night, so I scrolled thru this thread to catch a quick review of the gowns.  Dear God in Heaven--I have never seen such a collection of awfulness.

With the exception of maybe 4 or 5--the others I thought were awful, including Jolie's, Julia Roberts, (what was she thinking?), Glenn Close (the epitome of ugliness-that dress) Charlize Theron (I hate those structural gowns that look like an engineer designed them in order to keep the boobs covered), Jennifer Lawrence (hate that side-pockets-turned-inside-out look--reminds me of Nicole Kidman at her worst), Kelly Ripa (can we finally admit in public that the woman has an eating disorder?  Its been going on for years).   My favorites:  The one pictured above, Penelope Cruz, Sandra Bullock, McConaughy's wife--forget her name, Blanchett.  Bullock wins, I think. 

Meanwhile, this creature below (whoever she is) needs to deliver her baby and then be taken out of her misery for subjecting America to this image:

« Reply #133 on: March 03, 2014, 03:48:03 pm »
A rear shot of Liza Minnelli trying to squeeze into THE selfie:

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #134 on: March 03, 2014, 03:55:06 pm »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #135 on: March 03, 2014, 04:01:16 pm »
A rear shot of Liza Minnelli trying to squeeze into THE selfie:

You know, I feel sorry for her.  At a certain age, you should realize you look pathetic and just go away.  I felt that way about Bette Midler and Sidney Poitier as well.  It was nice to see the tributes from their colleagues, but I felt sorry for these over-the-hill celebrities... that they felt the need to go up there and be so diminished in exchange for a little applause, not for what they are now, but for what they once were.  In Poitier's case, especially, his considerable stature was compromised by his appearance.

It's one thing to accept an award for life achievement, but both Midler and Poitier were made to "sing for their supper" and I found that demeaning to both of them.  I say this as someone who is now 61 years of age and very cognizant that my time to get off the stage is drawing near.  I hope I have the courage to get off, stay off, and find something that satisfies me and makes me useful in my old age.

It's pathetic to see an old man try to play a young man's game.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 04:02:25 pm by massadvj »

Online mountaineer

« Reply #136 on: March 03, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »
I felt sorry for these over-the-hill celebrities... that they felt the need to go up there and be so diminished in exchange for a little applause, not for what they are now, but for what they once were.
Well said. So many of these folks seem to have had little raison d'etre besides their celebrity and being adored. When people stop thinking or caring about them, their looks or their talent, there's nothing left.

Offline happyg

Offline aligncare

« Reply #138 on: March 03, 2014, 05:15:36 pm »
You know, I feel sorry for her.  At a certain age, you should realize you look pathetic and just go away.  I felt that way about Bette Midler and Sidney Poitier as well.  It was nice to see the tributes from their colleagues, but I felt sorry for these over-the-hill celebrities... that they felt the need to go up there and be so diminished in exchange for a little applause, not for what they are now, but for what they once were.  In Poitier's case, especially, his considerable stature was compromised by his appearance.

It's one thing to accept an award for life achievement, but both Midler and Poitier were made to "sing for their supper" and I found that demeaning to both of them.  I say this as someone who is now 61 years of age and very cognizant that my time to get off the stage is drawing near.  I hope I have the courage to get off, stay off, and find something that satisfies me and makes me useful in my old age.

It's pathetic to see an old man try to play a young man's game.

Thoughtful post, Vic. I agree. It may be difficult but it's best to leave the spotlight with your dignity intact and gracefully embrace the change that age imposes. Like they say, always leave them wanting more.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #139 on: March 03, 2014, 05:18:53 pm »
gracefully embrace the change that age imposes
Which brings us back to Kim Novak and Liza Minelli ...    **nononono*

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #140 on: March 03, 2014, 05:32:20 pm »

I knitted.  It was peaceful and real.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #141 on: March 03, 2014, 05:36:10 pm »
Which brings us back to Kim Novak and Liza Minelli ...    **nononono*

Liza M. is still alive?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

« Reply #142 on: March 03, 2014, 05:37:57 pm »
Note the selfie Myst posted above.  You be the judge.

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #143 on: March 03, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »
Note the selfie Myst posted above.  You be the judge.

I saw the selfie.

That's why I asked.
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #144 on: March 03, 2014, 05:39:24 pm »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2571886/Academy-Awards-2014-What-happened-Kim-Novaks-face-Actress-81-shocks-Oscars-audience-youthful-looks.html#ixzz2uvB3j5x6

What happened to Kim Novak's face? Vertigo actress, 81, shocks audience during Oscars appearance
By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 01:12 EST, 3 March 2014 | UPDATED: 03:52 EST, 3 March 2014

She lit up the silver screen during her heyday, but Kim Novak left the Oscars audience in shock as she took to the stage on Sunday.

The 81-year-old actress joined Matthew McConaughey to present Best Animated Short Film and Best Animated Feature Film.

But Novak, who is best known for her role in Alfred Hitchcock’s 1958 film Vertigo, got most of the attention due to the drastic plastic surgery she’s had in recent years.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

« Reply #145 on: March 03, 2014, 05:41:00 pm »
I dunno.  To me, she looked dead years ago, and that was her wedding day...

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #146 on: March 03, 2014, 05:47:17 pm »
I dunno.  To me, she looked dead years ago, and that was her wedding day...

Looks like the carnival was in town.  These people are freaks, and once you get over their celebrity - they are just sad pitiful hams desperately begging for attention. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

« Reply #147 on: March 03, 2014, 05:52:11 pm »
And ridicule.   :laugh:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #148 on: March 03, 2014, 06:05:31 pm »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #149 on: March 03, 2014, 06:12:56 pm »
Very cute couple....
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald