Author Topic: Winter Storm Hercules Forecast: First Snowstorm of 2014 Targets Midwest, Northeast  (Read 6552 times)

Online mountaineer

It's pretty darn awful in our neck of the woods. Rained like crazy last night when the temp was still in the 40s and upper 30s, then suddenly turned to snow. Meanwhile, the wind started howling at over 30 mph and the temperature dropped to the low 20s by 8 a.m. today. I thought we were going to lose the roof. So now the roads have a layer of ice topped with a few inches of snow and the temperature will be in single digits by this afternoon, with wind chills well below zero. No sighting of Manbearpig yet, but I'm super serial that I'll get out the rifle if I see him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

I'll take our foot of snow over your ice! Most places are closed today. I don't see anyone out shoveling the snow. It's just too darn cold and windy.

Offline musiclady

We're half way in between mountaineer and happyg.

We had three or four hours of rain last night before the temps dropped to 32 at around midnight (which got rid of most of the snow on the ground), then appear to have gotten about 2-3 inches overnight with temps dropping like a rock and a LOT of wind.

Right now it's about two below zero here with winds in the 20 mph range, making the wind chill somewhere around 35 below.

All schools and universities closed, and the temps are dropping throughout the day.

It's WINTER, folks!   As long as you're inside, it's fun!   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online mountaineer

Mr. M made it to work, but who knows what the roads will be like by this afternoon. I'm going to venture out and see if there's any point to shoveling the driveway. I suspect with the layer of ice underneath, the answer is negatory!

Offline musiclady

Mr. M made it to work, but who knows what the roads will be like by this afternoon. I'm going to venture out and see if there's any point to shoveling the driveway. I suspect with the layer of ice underneath, the answer is negatory!

We have an uphill driveway, and the most adventurous I'm getting is trying to walk up the driveway to get the mail.

If I start sliding on ice, I may wait for Mr. Musiclady to get it on his way home.  Haven't talked with him since he got in to work, but he'll drive in anything!   :laugh:

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online mountaineer

Despite the repeated efforts of social service workers to get him to go to a shelter, John Gaither stayed in his tent on Olive Street, powering his laptop from a nearby outlet as frigid temperatures moved into St. Louis on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Despite the repeated efforts of social service workers to get him to go to a shelter, John Gaither stayed in his tent on Olive Street, powering his laptop from a nearby outlet as frigid temperatures moved into St. Louis on Sunday, Jan. 5, 2014

A lot of homeless will NOT stay at a shelter for safety and health reasons....in addition to their own issues.  His laptop would be history when he fell asleep, for example.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online mountaineer

It was -5 in St. Louis today. I hope he went inside somewhere.

Offline Rapunzel

Polar Vortex 1, USA 0 MT: @ObservingSpace Purple in this #NOAA graphic have 90% chance of #freezing temp on Jan 7

:tongue2: I'm not purple......
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

I think we're DEEP purple.

-19 right now in my backyard.

That's..................chilly!   ^-^

Offline Rapunzel

I think we're DEEP purple.

-19 right now in my backyard.

That's..................chilly!   ^-^

I do feel bad for all of you.  It's actually amazing to see this much of the nation in a deep freeze.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
It's 2 degrees here right now, supposed to dip to -2 in a couple of hours with a wind chill of -20.  My brother has to work midnite shift tonight at the refinery where he works - has to go outside.  Prayers for those who have to work in this!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online DCPatriot

Wouldn't it be something if we had a polar shift and now North Dakota is the North Pole?

......carry on!   :patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Online DCPatriot

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Currently in Decatur

-6°Feels like -26°
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014/01/06/watch-a-water-bottle-freeze-seconds-after-being-exposed-to-the-polar-vortex/

Watch a Water Bottle Freeze Seconds After Being Exposed to the ‘Polar Vortex’
Jan. 6, 2014 7:18pm Oliver Darcy

A video uploaded to the Internet Monday appears to show a bottle of water freeze within seconds amid brutally cold temperatures in Chicago.

According to the YouTube description, the video was shot in minus 13 degree conditions on Monday. At the time of publication, the video’s view counter was stuck at 301.

The bitter cold temperatures are part of the “Polar Vortex” which is currently sweeping across the Midwest and Northwest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTYsohr5Z-I

Online DCPatriot

Offline happyg

I baked a cake and sat it in the freezer in the garage, and it was cooled within a half hour. Right now, it's -12 and windy, and calling for more snow. We already had 14 inches.

My oldest son couldn't get to work today because he road was closed. My youngest son works at the refinery and has to spend a lot of time outside in this stuff. So far, all is well, in that the power is still on and Dominion hasn't run out of gas.

Online DCPatriot

I baked a cake and sat it in the freezer in the garage, and it was cooled within a half hour. Right now, it's -12 and windy, and calling for more snow. We already had 14 inches.

My oldest son couldn't get to work today because he road was closed. My youngest son works at the refinery and has to spend a lot of time outside in this stuff. So far, all is well, in that the power is still on and Dominion hasn't run out of gas.

Where are you, happyg?

Offline happyg

Where are you, happyg?

Allen County (Lima) Ohio, about 60 miles north of Dayton and 75 miles south of Toledo off I75.

Online DCPatriot

Allen County (Lima) Ohio, about 60 miles north of Dayton and 75 miles south of Toledo off I75.

AH!  The Dayton Flyers!  LOL!

Was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. 

Now the rest of the country gets to know what we deal with every year.   (I hate the cold)

Offline musiclady

It's 2 degrees here right now, supposed to dip to -2 in a couple of hours with a wind chill of -20.  My brother has to work midnite shift tonight at the refinery where he works - has to go outside.  Prayers for those who have to work in this!

Indeed!  Prayers for all who have to be outside, and for those who have lost power.

It's one thing to enjoy the bizarre, frigid weather from inside a warm house, but to be outside is downright dangerous.

btw, our thermometer is now registering -20!!!!!

For the middle of Ohio, that is COLD!

(And the wind is still howling out there!)

Offline happyg

AH!  The Dayton Flyers!  LOL!

Was born and raised in Buffalo, NY. 

Now the rest of the country gets to know what we deal with every year.   (I hate the cold)

My son lives in Amsterdam, near Albany, so I got a good taste of Buffalo snow. Never again! The snow stuck to my headlights, and I couldn't see anything, and I couldn't pull over. A cop pulled me over, cleaned off my headlights, and guided me to the next exit where there was a motel. That is the last time I drove there in the winter.

Online DCPatriot

Indeed!  Prayers for all who have to be outside, and for those who have lost power.

It's one thing to enjoy the bizarre, frigid weather from inside a warm house, but to be outside is downright dangerous.

btw, our thermometer is now registering -20!!!!!

For the middle of Ohio, that is COLD!

(And the wind is still howling out there!)

As long as you have electricity/heat...we're all good!    :beer: