Author Topic: Winter Storm Hercules Forecast: First Snowstorm of 2014 Targets Midwest, Northeast  (Read 6551 times)

Offline musiclady

We're about -10 in our backyard this morning.  Don't know what the low was, but more snow coming Sunday, and a high on Tuesday of -2!

Reminds me of my Minnesota days, and I LIKE it!

(But I'm pretty sure the Buckeyes and die-hard fans are very happy to be in Miami this morning!  :laugh:)
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline happyg

It's about the same here, musiclady. The bright side is, I will get a lot of peace because who wants to venture out in this weather? I might even get some work done.

Offline musiclady

It's about the same here, musiclady. The bright side is, I will get a lot of peace because who wants to venture out in this weather? I might even get some work done.

On my agenda........... laundry, UN-decorating and some reading.

I've had a nasty head cold, so there's no way I'm venturing outside for very long.

But I've got to tell you, it's really pretty out there, and there's nothing quite so beautiful as a bright, scarlet cardinal in the snow.

(Especially on a day that the Scarlet and Grey are going to win the Orange Bowl.   ^-^)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 03:46:39 pm by musiclady »

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Its so pretty outside (although very cold and windy) that I'm going to venture out after I get some work done at my desk.  Un-decorating slated for tomorrow for me.  I bought new Christmas storage boxes at Wally World yesterday.

Offline musiclady

Its so pretty outside (although very cold and windy) that I'm going to venture out after I get some work done at my desk.  Un-decorating slated for tomorrow for me.  I bought new Christmas storage boxes at Wally World yesterday.

That's what I need!  Some of our boxes are falling apart, and duct tape only works for so long.   ^-^

Too bad we don't have a Wally World anywhere nearby!

Offline happyg

That's what I need!  Some of our boxes are falling apart, and duct tape only works for so long.   ^-^

Too bad we don't have a Wally World anywhere nearby!

My Christmas stuff is packed and put away. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, and love their boxes. I break them down, and then, remake them as I need them.

It is beautiful outside. Everything is coated in soft white snow. And then, when the weather warms up, it will be ugly grey slush.

Offline mountaineer

I shoveled the driveway and Mr. M had to venture out to take his brother to a dr. appt.  Our road never gets plowed but I'm hoping for his sake the main roads are passable.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

My Christmas stuff is packed and put away. I do a lot of shopping on Amazon, and love their boxes. I break them down, and then, remake them as I need them.

It is beautiful outside. Everything is coated in soft white snow. And then, when the weather warms up, it will be ugly grey slush.

Looks like it's going to be a while before the pretty turns ugly, happy!  Have you seen the forecast?  Yikes!  :laugh:

I use Amazon boxes for everything!  With kids living overseas as often as mine do, I send all sorts of things to them in the many Amazon boxes I keep in storage.

My problem is that I need big, chunky boxes to hold all the other boxes in, and unless I order a computer or DVD player, they're hard to come by!

Offline happyg

Looks like it's going to be a while before the pretty turns ugly, happy!  Have you seen the forecast?  Yikes!  :laugh:

I use Amazon boxes for everything!  With kids living overseas as often as mine do, I send all sorts of things to them in the many Amazon boxes I keep in storage.

My problem is that I need big, chunky boxes to hold all the other boxes in, and unless I order a computer or DVD player, they're hard to come by!

I just threw two of those away. One had a mini freezer in it, and the other, a snow blower. You can by any size boxes at UHaul. I have a few left from when my son moved into his new home.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"Rush Limbaugh is now mocking and making fun of the mainstream media and New York City's mayor on the handling of SIX INCHES OF F&%K!#G SNOW!"

...and he's right.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

"Rush Limbaugh is now mocking and making fun of the mainstream media and New York City's mayor on the handling of SIX INCHES OF F&%K!#G SNOW!"

...and he's right.

The mayor probably had someone who took care of snow, so didn't pay attention. Now, he's overreacting to a normal winter day.

Offline PzLdr

I live on the east end of Long Island. We got over a foot of snow [not counting drifts], and with the wind chill, it's -1. They're talking winds in excess of 30 mph for the rest of the day. Right now, it's sunny, but I shoveled the back deck and ramp for the dogs, shoveled the front porch and steps, and used the snow blower for the driveway. It was cold, and I'm tired. That's why God invented Portuguese anisette. : :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Yeah, you're not all that far from where they got the worst of it-Massachusetts.

I live in a townhouse-a condo community, so all the shoveling is done for us.  It took me awhile to get both cars cleaned off, started up and de-iced.  I was going to go walking around for a bit, but its really too icy/slippery around here at the moment.  So, the cats are camped out in front of the fire and I am piddling around.

rangerrebew

Thank goodness for global warming otherwise this storm might really be dangerous. :0001: :silly:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
FLASH:  Its WINTER!!  Its COLD and its SNOWING!!!

Slow news week....and since when do we name frickin' snowstorms??

Offline Rapunzel

FLASH:  Its WINTER!!  Its COLD and its SNOWING!!!

Slow news week....and since when do we name frickin' snowstorms??

Since Obama declared 2014 the year the government will take over everything because of our climate.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline musiclady

Oh, good grief!  NOW our forecast says it's going to snow tonight and tomorrow, turn to rain for a few hours in the afternoon, and then we're going to plunge into a deep freeze.

Good thing I don't have to go anywhere on Monday!   :laugh:

Offline mountaineer

Oh, good grief!  NOW our forecast says it's going to snow tonight and tomorrow, turn to rain for a few hours in the afternoon, and then we're going to plunge into a deep freeze.

Good thing I don't have to go anywhere on Monday!   :laugh:
Same here - and you can bet the roads on Monday will be solid ice.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline musiclady

Well, I always like snow better than rain in the winter, but I'm definitely going to pray for snow tomorrow....

Offline happyg

The weather report here says icy roads, along with around 14 inches of snow, with low visibility. -15 degrees with a chill factor of -45 degrees. I don't remember it ever getting that cold. I shut off two rooms and have the thermostat on 70 degrees and am comfortable. I might even close up my bedroom and sleep on the couch, that turns into a bed, just to keep the wind away. But then, I like a cold room. It will be like the good old days growing up, when ice would accumulate on our bedroom windows, and you could see your breath. Mom made heavy quilts out of old coats and other heavy clothing, so we were always warm, until we got out of bed.  :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
When it got that cold as a kid, we'd sleep in the kitchen. Baby sister in her cot and blankets actually half under the wood stove, me next to her in my sleeping bag, then Mom and Dad sharing a sleeping bag. Dad would get up every so often to put more wood on.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline happyg

Offline happyg

Offline happyg

Lima-area larger consumers may experience natural gas service interruption because of extreme weather

Dominion East Ohio is advising large industrial and commercial customers in its West Ohio territory that they may experience an interruption in their natural gas service because of potentially record-setting low temperatures forecasted for Monday and Tuesday. Dominion's curtailment plan on file with the Public Utilities Commission of Ohio calls for Dominion to contact those customers in the event of potential supply curtailment. At this time the company does not anticipate any service impacts its 65,000 Lima-area residential customers.

“We are curtailing service to some larger customers to ensure that our residential and critical service customers receive their natural gas supply. The company wanted to give ample notice to our larger natural gas users so that they can implement their business continuity plans accordingly,” said Scott Miller, vice president and general manager, Dominion East Ohio. “We have also notified Lima city officials so that they are aware of the possibility of these planned service interruptions. As always, we want all of our customers to be safe and careful during this extremely cold weather.”

With extremely cold temperatures, Dominion urges all of it customers to take prudent conservation measures, which could include reducing thermostat or water heating temperature settings. Dominion always recommends that if customers smell gas that they leave the area and call Dominion at 1-800-877-4715. If Lima-area residential customers experience any service interruptions they should notify Dominion as soon as possible at 1-800- 877-4715.

Dominion East Ohio is a unit of Dominion, one of the nation's largest producers and transporters of energy, with a portfolio of approximately 23,500 megawatts of generation, 11,000 miles of natural gas transmission, gathering and storage pipeline and 6,400 miles of electric transmission lines. Dominion operates one of the nation's largest natural gas storage systems, with 947 billion cubic feet of storage capacity, and serves retail energy customers in 15 states. For more information about Dominion, visit the company's website at www.dom.com.

Read more: http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2014/jan/05/lima-area-larger-consumers-may-experience-gas-of/#ixzz2pYsUDcJL
Follow us: @KitsapSun on Twitter | KitsapNews on Facebook