Author Topic: Juan Williams: Right Wanted Bashir, Maher Fired, But ‘Cry Foul’ Over Duck Dynasty Star?  (Read 14312 times)

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Might I add that I think its fair to hold Bashir to a higher standard anyway.  A TV program host of a national news network broadcast incited a violent assault on an innocent American citizen.  You'd have to be stupid as hell not to know it was most likely scripted/pre-meditated beforehand by him and his producers--making the whole episode even more loathsome. 

Meanwhile, OTOH--you have Phil Robertson, who was asked to explain why gay marriage is in conflict with his personal values, so he did.  Not even on his TV show mind you, but in an adult magazine interview. 

To sit here and watch posters equate these two very different scenarios as morally equivalent is just beyond baffling-- and strange.  VERY popcorn worthy.  :eatdrink:

Phil Robertson is not an idiot. He runs a multi-million dollar business that's doing quite well, he just doesn't really care what others think about what he says, and how he says it.

So, if trhe guy doesn't care about other people's reaction to what he says, why do we?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Rapunzel

Phil Robertson is not an idiot. He runs a multi-million dollar business that's doing quite well, he just doesn't really care what others think about what he says, and how he says it.

So, if trhe guy doesn't care about other people's reaction to what he says, why do we?

Seems you care.  Otherwise you would address the subject of the article which is Juan Williams comparing this to Bashir and Maher.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:14:32 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Cincinnatus

In fact, I'd guess that most here would support it

For goodness sake, don't justify your position by telling the rest of us how we think. State your own opinion and let us do the same.
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Because this argument isn't about just Phil's opinions and words alone, and its not about whether Phil cares what others think.   It's not even about whether or not he remains employed by A&E.

This is about Phil's words today being considered garden variety hate speech tomorrow.  I like the way Andy-in-nh put it upthread:  "the intentional politicization of the personal.  It is obnoxious and destructive of civil society."   
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:29:17 pm by Lipstick on a Hillary »

Offline GourmetDan

It's. Not. Your. Company.

Don't watch A&E, don't patronize their advertisers.

If they made the wrong decision, no one will be happier than you.

Yes sir, Captain Obvious.

Keep going till you get to a defensible position.

Thanks for telling me what I must do and how I will feel.

Couldn't have done it without you...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline Cincinnatus

Well said, both LoaH and Andy: This is about Phil's words today being considered garden variety hate speech tomorrow.  I like the way Andy-in-nh put it upthread:  "the intentional politicization of the personal.  It is obnoxious and destructive of civil society."
We shall never be abandoned by Heaven while we act worthy of its aid ~~ Samuel Adams

Offline Rapunzel

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline olde north church

Just watched Guv Huckabee talk about people in the South and Midwest caring about free speech, not the rest of the country.  Guv'nur, please go away!  I'm in the great Northeast.  I don't watch Duck Dynasty.  I'm not a Christian.  I support the Duck dude's right to say what he wants to say.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline GourmetDan

Well said, both LoaH and Andy: This is about Phil's words today being considered garden variety hate speech tomorrow.  I like the way Andy-in-nh put it upthread:  "the intentional politicization of the personal.  It is obnoxious and destructive of civil society."

The supporters of which consider themselves both intelligent and moral.

:3:

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline andy58-in-nh

The supporters of which consider themselves both intelligent and moral.

:3:

They do often consider themselves intelligent, or at least smarter than those whose arguments they breezily assume to be too stupid to consider.

But morality is another matter entirely; it is one that the keepers of our modern, Progressive culture uniformly ignore by the simple act of proclaiming all morality "subjective", or else the unreasoning product of societal norms and constructs, likely imposed by Powerful Forces whose goal is to control others' behavior.

I tend to find the Left's treatment of moral dimensions in human behavior ironic (not to mention: hypocritical), in the sense that they so often proclaim themselves infinitely Tolerant Beings, while at the same time promoting endless normative prescriptions upon others enforced by the State, as with property mandates, smoking restrictions, regulating the size of your Big Gulp, and, oh yes: speech codes.

That's why there's no honest disagreement with a true believing Leftist. They do not see you as merely mistaken, but as evil, even as the psychological process of projection makes them assign their anger and hostile intent to you.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Oceander

**nononono*

It always seems to be the pleasures that go first.

I don't (cant) drink. Doesn't stop me brewing it for those who do!  :laugh:

Oceander can have the beer or mead - we'll hit a fruit punch or several.

I'll join you in the fruit punch, or maybe some soda.  I drove buses in college.  The alcohol limits on a commercial license are much more stringent than for a regular license.  Because of that, most of us drivers simply got out of the habit of drinking the hard stuff; drivers' parties were probably rather boring to non-drivers.  After college, when I was no longer driving, I did tipple a little more for a while, but it wasn't that much fun at that point, so I lost the habit.  I am now what I'd call a "cheap date."

Oceander

Yes sir, Captain Obvious.

Keep going till you get to a defensible position.

Thanks for telling me what I must do and how I will feel.

Couldn't have done it without you...

/snicker

Sorry, but that's about the only response you deserve at this point on this thread.

Oceander

For goodness sake, don't justify your position by telling the rest of us how we think. State your own opinion and let us do the same.

He didn't tell anyone here - or anywhere else - what to think.  The phrase "I'd guess" should have given it away:  that means that what follows is the speaker's belief/opinion, not a prescription or command directed at the listeners.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Aren't we all missing the point here? It is not about Mr. Robertson, or his personal opinion, or America at large. Aren't we forgetting?

Are we forgetting all the homosexuals who have been hurt here, with this. They are destroyed. Phil told them they are not going to heaven and now they are all rethinking everything they have ever believed. They are destroyed. They have no idea what to do about this whole, 'going to the kingdom of God' thing. Phil, single handedly, has hurt the entire Gay community. They may never recover from this onslaught.

We have all heard 'ad nauseam', "Do it for the children!". Now we have replaced 'children' with gays. "Do it for the homosexuals!" "Think about what you are doing, to the Homosexuals."

In my opinion, the homosexuals can, as Nancy Pelosi so adaquately put it, embrace the suck.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Oceander

Aren't we all missing the point here? It is not about Mr. Robertson, or his personal opinion, or America at large. Aren't we forgetting?

Are we forgetting all the homosexuals who have been hurt here, with this. They are destroyed. Phil told them they are not going to heaven and now they are all rethinking everything they have ever believed. They are destroyed. They have no idea what to do about this whole, 'going to the kingdom of God' thing. Phil, single handedly, has hurt the entire Gay community. They may never recover from this onslaught.

We have all heard 'ad nauseam', "Do it for the children!". Now we have replaced 'children' with gays. "Do it for the homosexuals!" "Think about what you are doing, to the Homosexuals."

In my opinion, the homosexuals can, as Nancy Pelosi so adaquately put it, embrace the suck.

Then the best way to have defeated that claim would have been to react to Robertson's firing in an anemic manner, along the lines of:  "well, that's just business, isn't it?  They're all adults there and I'm sure they can sort out their disagreements themselves."

Offline GourmetDan

/snicker

Sorry, but that's about the only response you deserve at this point on this thread.

Yeah, retreating to a meaningless albeit defensible position is quite an impressive debating maneuver.

And how predictable that you thought it appropriate...

Online mountaineer

Larry Alex Taunton writes in The Atlantic :
The Genuine Conflict Being Ignored in the Duck Dynasty Debate

... Missing in the controversy over A&E’s handling of its golden goose—or duck, rather—is the fact that the real conflict here is not between Robertson and A&E; it is between gay activists and a solid majority of Christians who believe homosexual acts are wrong. Again, Robertson’s views are hardly anomalous. Christians may disagree on the details, but the Bible strongly condemns homosexuality in both the Old and New Testaments; the marriage model of one man and one woman is first given by God in Genesis 2 and reiterated by Jesus in Matthew 19; and in Romans 1 the Apostle Paul denounces homosexuality as a hallmark of a degenerate culture. The point here isn’t that you have to believe any of this, but many Christians do believe it and feel morally bound to believe it.

Instead of acknowledging this tension, however, A&E, GLAAD, and their supporters have responded with disingenuous expressions of shock and horror.  And it matters that it's disingenuous, because if they actually acknowledged that there is a genuine conflict between orthodox Christianity and homosexual sex (along with several forms of heterosexual sex) they would have to confront head-on the fact that calling for a boycott or pressuring for Robertson's suspension tells orthodox Christians that their religion is no longer acceptable, and that’s not a very politically correct thing to do.  ...
Article previously posted on this thread, just in case you missed it.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 11:37:12 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs

That is my opinion.

Did you miss that as well?
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Because this argument isn't about just Phil's opinions and words alone, and its not about whether Phil cares what others think.   It's not even about whether or not he remains employed by A&E.

This is about Phil's words today being considered garden variety hate speech tomorrow.  I like the way Andy-in-nh put it upthread:  "the intentional politicization of the personal.  It is obnoxious and destructive of civil society."

What exactly has Phil done to remain employed by A&E?

Hmmm... how many decades will it take them to convince society it's politically incorrect to be heterosexual?

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
Phil Robertson's contract is not with A&E...

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,124090.0.html

So A&E doesn't even need to give a reason why they will no longer purchase the show from the production company.

« Last Edit: December 24, 2013, 12:07:33 am by Luis Gonzalez »

Oceander

So A&E doesn't even need to give a reason why they will no longer purchase the show from the production company.

:bigsilly:

What exactly has Phil done to remain employed by A&E?

I couldn't care less, as my personal beef with all this is not with A&E putting Robertson on suspension.   Meanwhile, have you weighed in on the original topic of this thread yet? 

Oceander

I couldn't care less, as my personal beef with all this is not with A&E putting Robertson on suspension.   Meanwhile, have you weighed in on the original topic of this thread yet? 

Yes we have.  Liberals are just as free to demand that Robertson be removed as conservatives are to demand that Bashir and Maher be removed.  That's not a particularly controversial issue.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald