Author Topic: I have another video I'd like your input on.  (Read 23304 times)

Online Lando Lincoln

Re: I have another video I'd like your input on.
« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:46 pm »
My son didn't have extra money. He and his wife gave up a lot, and the money they set aside was $5 here or $10 there. And, the kids all worked for extra money. My neighbor kid has the cash to buy his first car. He is only 14 years old, but is looking ahead. I imagine he will get to college the same way. They used to be dirt poor, but slowly worked their way out of it, sometimes working several jobs.

My sons just turned 21.  They have had odd jobs for years.  This year, each deposited $2,000 in a Roth IRA for their retirement - and they are full-time college students. 

Any time government subsidizes what can and should be done by a free market (free as in unshackled), the system becomes distorted and bloated.  What astonishes me is how willing people can take on huge debt because they "can't afford" it.  What is life's penalty for having a $50,000 or $100,000 student loan debt?

Let the higher learning institutions compete for students and watch what happens to tuition.  Remove the smothering regulations from employers and watch what part-time jobs emerge for college students.  Let the free markets expand to create opportunity for the graduate.  And de-bloat the government machine.  at every turn, every opportunity.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:58 pm »
Substitute "practice" for "teach" and you've underscored my feelings about my healthcare practice today.

Healing (physically or mentally), teaching - I was always taught they were vocations, not careers. They used to be. Now, they are tick the box, get paid and ignore the recipient as an inconvenience.

I do still teach. My grandkids and their friends. We talk in the shed or in the garage. Equations written on a concrete wall in used motor oil or chalk. Just confine it to my own, now.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline aligncare

« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2013, 03:41:36 pm »
Excellent! massadvj. Listen to the professor. I sure am.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2013, 03:43:40 pm »
Fine! But when you are whining be sure to tell the truth and  say that I can't find a job THAT I LIKE!

Oh and BTW! This is the LAST post you will see from me!  Hope you find what you are looking for and have a nice life!

I'm sorry you feel that way. I didn't mean to offend you.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2013, 03:47:15 pm »

Now stop doing that.

You stand for something, you will offend people. You got the choice - be a mouse or stand up for what you believe.

Totally your call.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2013, 03:51:00 pm »
Excellent! massadvj. Listen to the professor. I sure am.

Absolutely!  Wish he'd taught me back when..... 

Somehow...Obama is going to find a way to cancel everybody's student loan balance.  It's coming.

It's called the "How-Do-You-Like-Me NOW?" Syndrome.  Surfaces in early winter, especially election years.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2013, 03:57:40 pm »

Not offended! Sickened would more properly describe it.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2013, 03:58:32 pm »
Thanks, AC and Lando.

LOL!  I wish I had you guys in the classroom.  My students are bored with me after 5 minutes.

Liberal_Spy

« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2013, 04:02:25 pm »
Not offended! Sickened would more properly describe it.

It was never my intention to make you feel that way. I don't dislike you.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 04:03:05 pm by Liberal_Spy »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2013, 04:07:09 pm »
It was never my intention to make you feel that way. I don't dislike you.

Nor do I dislike you! And, to be perfectly honest it is not you personally at all! It's an entire generation of people we have lost to thinking like that which you display.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #210 on: October 20, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »
Nor do I dislike you! And, to be perfectly honest it is not you personally at all! It's an entire generation of people we have lost to thinking like that which you display.

Been thinking a lot on this today.

We bleep up. Wanted to give our kids the best. Smooth their way, make life easier. Not a bad thing, and totally understandable. Yet not good for them.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #211 on: October 20, 2013, 04:15:06 pm »
Been thinking a lot on this today.

We bleeped up. Wanted to give our kids the best. Smooth their way, make life easier. Not a bad thing, and totally understandable. Yet not good for them.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #212 on: October 20, 2013, 04:30:57 pm »
My ex and I will be homeschooling my son because of how atrocious the public school system is. I can give my son a much better education than he would receive from public schools.

Good for you LS! 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #213 on: October 20, 2013, 04:56:10 pm »
“All of the great achievers of the past have been visionary figures; they were men and women who projected into the future. They thought of what could be, rather than what already was, and then they moved themselves into action, to bring these things into fruition." - Bob Proctor Author and Speaker

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #214 on: October 20, 2013, 05:52:24 pm »
LOL! I couldn't agree more!

I used to have a bunch of them and wish I still did because they have become quite valuable to collectors.

Now you tell me.  When George died I tossed his slide rule in the garbage..... 8888crybaby
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #215 on: October 20, 2013, 05:57:38 pm »
Now you tell me.  When George died I tossed his slide rule in the garbage..... 8888crybaby

OMG no!  You could have gotten enough for it to pay for a pedicure!

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #216 on: October 20, 2013, 05:59:49 pm »
Slightly different system, but let me spin you a tale here.

So, why haven't I taught in 15 years? Because for the 4 years preceding my quitting, I was not teaching. I was ticking boxes and filling out forms. I had a full class load - 36 hours per week. Another 40 hours a week doing the obligatory paperwork. I never signed up to do paperwork. I wanted to teach. Not just my subjects, but a little about life and a little about tolerance and a little bit about fun.

The same thing has happened to medical doctors in America over their the last 20 years... started camping up uafter Hillary and Newt messed with CMS.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

famousdayandyear

« Reply #217 on: October 20, 2013, 06:07:33 pm »
The slide rule (mine is a K & E) is a work of art and a single feat of mechanical and mathematical genius.  Everything I enjoy now is entirely due to the beauty and accuracy of the K&E and my ability to put it to effective use. 

How can one put a monetary value on such a magnificent invention of man?  It's monetary value has no meaning against its contributions to the R&D community.
Collectors can collectively go to hell, IMHO.

PS:  We sent a man to the moon largely double checking early IBM 790's computation reults using slide rules.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #218 on: October 20, 2013, 06:12:40 pm »
One of the things I like about here - you learn. It isn't deliberate, it just happens. Someone will make a passing reference that sends you on an odessy of searches and links. Next thing you know it is 3 hours later and work has not been done.  :beer:

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #219 on: October 20, 2013, 06:23:24 pm »
Not everybody has the luxury of being able to set aside money to help their kids with college. In fact a LOT of parents do not have the ability to do that. Student loans are absolutely massive. That would be a lot of money for anybody to pay.

Frankly your comments on this thread proves the free advice you are receiving from  lot of very smart conservatives who have been there, done that, raised kids and or teach or taught kids is going in one ear and out the other because you have been do indoctrinated in your liberal education you are truly unable to step back and objectively examine a situation.  You're looking for someone here to tell you what you WANT you hear and not getting it you keep asking US the same question instead of pressing for us to expand your knowledge base and world view.  What I see in your questions is also what I see wrong with America and that is education... as in lack of... the fact you are working on your MBA and think the government ... or to be more accurate more government ... Is the answer scares me for your generation.  You say you've worked construction before and don't want to work hard forever.. fine, work it while going to school to pay for school and you will accomplish two things.. no debt when you graduate and you'll actually get some real world experience.

BTW what about your GI Bill... you still have not responded.

famousdayandyear

« Reply #220 on: October 20, 2013, 06:27:40 pm »
Maybe this guy can help since he is speaking to LS's contemporaries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNXwKGZHmDc

Offline massadvj

• Editorial Advisor
« Reply #221 on: October 20, 2013, 06:28:05 pm »
the fact you are working on your MBA and think the government ...

I don't think he's working on an MBA.  I think he is working on a Master's in history.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #222 on: October 20, 2013, 06:29:19 pm »
OMG no!  You could have gotten enough for it to pay for a pedicure!

NOW you REALLY  upset me  8888crybaby 8888crybaby

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #224 on: October 20, 2013, 06:31:37 pm »
Who calls it a luxury?

A piece of paper to wave in recruiters faces is no luxury, it is obligatory now.

Kid born? The day they are born you open a bank account in their name and start popping money into it. Some months it might be $10. Some months it might be $100. You don't need the latest electronics and games and crap. You do need to look out for your kids. Sorry, that is your job for the next 18 years. Don't like the idea - don't have kids.