Author Topic: BREAKING: Egyptian TV Says Morsi Under House Arrest – Update: Travel Ban Placed On Muslim Brotherhood Leaders… Waiting for confirmation. [OFFICIAL THREAD FOR THE DAY]  (Read 18430 times)

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

Terrific thread!   Thanks everyone from someone who was out most of the day and just catching up.

Offline flowers

The Egypt Independent reports that the Supreme Constitutional Court Chief Justice, Adly Mansour has been named interim president of Egypt and is expected to be sworn in Thursday. Mansour was appointed to the position back in May by Morsi.

Jon Williams
@WilliamsJon
Last week Adly Mansour deputy Chief Justice. Monday became Chief Justice. Tonight is #Egypt 's new President pic.twitter.com/m3JfFKBy2L

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/03/egypt-live-blog/

05:14 PM ET
Egyptian military ousts Morsy

Egypt's top military leader announces Wednesday night that President Mohamed Morsy has been removed from power
    Head of Egypt's constitutional court will be temporary president until new constitution is drawn up and new elections can be held
    The military demanded that Morsy share power with opponents after anti-government protests
    Morsy, elected last year, refused to comply; mass protests continue to support him
    Refresh this page for the latest news we're seeing and hearing. Catch up with our full story here.

[Updated at 5:14 p.m. ET, 11:14 p.m. in Egypt] Wherever Morsy is, he doesn't appear to have accepted his ouster. He's says, in a taped statement just aired on Al Jazeera, that he is still the country's legitimate president.

He also said he remains open to negotiate and to engage in dialogue.

[Updated at 5:11 p.m. ET, 11:11 p.m. in Egypt] The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has ordered the mandatory evacuation of all nonessential personnel, CNN's Jill Dougherty reports, citing a senior administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
NBC Nightly News ‏@nbcnightlynews 1m

All non-essential U.S. Embassy staff & families have been ordered to leave #Egypt, State Department official tells @PeterAlexander

Hey, way to wait.

Offline flowers

[Updated at 5:11 p.m. ET, 11:11 p.m. in Egypt] The U.S. Embassy in Cairo has ordered the mandatory evacuation of all nonessential personnel, CNN's Jill Dougherty reports, citing a senior administration official, who spoke on condition of anonymity.

should have been done already.

Offline flowers

[Updated at 5:14 p.m. ET, 11:14 p.m. in Egypt] Wherever Morsy is, he doesn't appear to have accepted his ouster. He's says, in a taped statement just aired on Al Jazeera, that he is still the country's legitimate president.

Of course you are....hopefully they will give you the same treatment as you have done to the Christians.

Offline flowers

Of course you are....hopefully they will give you the same treatment as you have done to the Christians.
Yes I know not PC.  Cannot play PC with sharia types...ever.

Offline musiclady

Uh......because you've allowed freaking slaughters of Coptic Christians and beheadings of priests...complete with chanting mobs cheering?

Stupid's no way to go through life, Mr. Soliman

BRAVO!!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

famousdayandyear

Can't remember feeling anything positive about world events in such a long time.  Feels nice but so strange.

Offline musiclady

Can't remember feeling anything positive about world events in such a long time.  Feels nice but so strange.

I imagine the people of Israel are feeling the same way.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline flowers

23:30 That's it from the live updates today. Some sporadic violence is being reported in Egyptian governorates, with four people confirmed dead, but in Cairo things are still peaceful. The mood in Tahrir Square and at Ittihadiya presidential palace is jubilant - although the campaigns against sexual harassment are warning on Twitter that sexual assaults are taking place in Tahrir.

23:25 More clashes being reported outside Cairo.

There is violence in Kafr El-Sheikh in the Nile Delta, which has led to 118 injured so far, Ahram Arabic reported two hours ago.

Clashes between opposition and Morsi supporters started at 7pm. Forty-three Morsi supporters taking part in the clashes were arrested for illegal possession of weapons. Despite the clashes, cheering crowds flooded the streets of Kafr El-Sheikh immediately after El-Sisi’s statement.

23:20 The clashes in Marsa Matrouh seem to have worsened. The city, on the western part of Egypt’s Mediterranean coast, is known to be an Islamist stronghold. Health ministry officials confirmed that 4 people have died in the violence and 13 are injured. According to an Ahram correspondent based in the city, Morsi supporters attacked the governorate headquarters after El-Sisi's statement, leading to clashes.

23:10 Ahram Online's Bassem Abou El-Abbas is at the Rabaa Al-Adawiya pro-Morsi sit-in in Cairo. He says the mood is angry but not violent; the area is surrounded by troops who are not allowing anyone to enter or leave the sit-in. Eyewitnesses told El-Abbas that after the military's announcement, three cars' windows were smashed, but that seems to be the extent of the violence. He says that the army which is surrounding the protest is not allowing anyone to enter or leave the sit-in.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/NewsContent/1/64/75594/Egypt/Politics-/Live-updates-Egypt-tense-as-army-deadline-passes;-.aspx

Offline flowers

TwitterWilliamsJon @WilliamsJon
UK criticizes Morsi overthrow. @WilliamJHague : "UK does not support military intervention as way to resolve disputes in democratic system."

http://liveblog.abcnews.go.com/Event/Live_Updates_Egyptian_Army_Threatens_Coup_in_48_Hours_2

I see the UK isn't happy with sharia getting taken out. yet didn't they just approve of sharia type law in their courts?

Offline flowers

It has been some time for me as well. It is a happy day for mankind. The photo of the man in the palm tree with the cross and koran is just wonderful. 

Offline happyg

Ted Cruz: Obama’s Egypt policy a ‘stunning diplomatic failure’

Posted By Brendan Bordelon On 4:36 PM 07/03/2013 In Daily Caller News Foundation | No Comments

Texas Republican Sen.Ted Cruz blasted the Obama administration’s policy toward Egypt in a scathing op-ed in Foreign Policy magazine, slamming the president’s stance on the Muslim Brotherhood “one of the most stunning diplomatic failures in recent memory.”

As the Egyptian military ends President Mohamed Morsi’s rule, Cruz points out that the ire of many people in the streets of Cairo is not reserved for the Muslim Brotherhood alone.

“The people protesting in the streets were not only carrying anti-Morsi signs,” Cruz writes. “They were also carrying signs with slogans like ‘Obama Supports Terrorism’ and ‘Obama Supports Morsi,’ as well as pictures of the American ambassador to Egypt, Anne Patterson, with a large red ‘X’ through her face.”

Cruz believes that the 22 million Egyptians committed to ending Morsi’s rule are largely secular, pro-democratic people dismayed at the religious authoritarianism slowly strangling their country.

By throwing America’s weight behind Egypt’s Muslim Brotherhood, Cruz argues that President Obama has alienated potential allies in the region.

“The United States is — in both perception and reality — entrenched as the partner of a repressive, Islamist regime and the enemy of the secular, pro-democracy opposition,” he writes.

Over the past year, the Obama administration sold high-tech military hardware to the Muslim Brotherhood regime and sent $250 million in foreign aid to Egypt, even while Morsy repeatedly clashed with his nation’s judiciary and allowed Egypt’s large Christian minority to suffer at the hands of Islamic fundamentalists.

Cruz argues that this lent Morsi and the Muslim Brotherhood much-needed strength and legitimacy.

As the movement to depose Morsi picked up speed in recent weeks, President Obama withheld his support from the opposition, instead sending Ambassador Anne Patterson to try to talk protesters out of their plans.

“Some say that street action will produce better results than elections,” she said at a Cairo seminar. “To be honest, my government and I are deeply skeptical.”

By pursuing a “policy of strategic silence” instead of supporting the secular democratic opposition, Cruz warns that the Obama administration has provoked hostility towards the United States and may have missed a golden opportunity for “meaningful change” in the region.

But questions remain over just how secular and democratic Morsi’s adversaries really are. Human Rights Watch reports that scores of women have been gang-raped at opposition rallies over the last several days.

And Al-Monitor notes that Egypt’s Salafist parties, which interpret Islam even more strictly than the Muslim Brotherhood, hope to use Morsi’s weakness to their own advantage.

Other observers argue that U.S. aid helped the military leaders ousting Morsi more than the Muslim Brotherhood.

Cruz concludes by encouraging Congress to halt all aid to the Muslim Brotherhood and exhorting his fellow lawmakers to “find the courage to speak out forcefully on behalf of those advocating secular democratic reforms in Egypt.”

Follow Brendan on Twitter

http://dailycaller.com/2013/07/03/ted-cruz-obamas-egypt-policy-stunning-diplomatic-failure/

famousdayandyear

Don't be surprised if Obama says he found out about Morsi in the news....just like the rest of us.  What a MFin failure!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Is President Obama back in Washington, right now?   Has he returned from Africa?

Is he inside The Situation Room?   

Who gets that $200 MILLION that Obama recently sent the Muslim Brotherhood in Egypt?

....so many questions....LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline xfreeper

Where is Obama?  Anybody know?

Same place he was when they were burning the post in Libya.....sniff/snort

famousdayandyear

Same place he was when they were burning the post in Libya.....sniff/snort

Right, right.  Read where Reggie Love was registered in a posh hotel in South Africa.  Just a coincidence I know.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
CBS Evening News ‏@CBSEveningNews 23s

Chip Reid is at the White House with the administration’s reaction to the Egyptian debacle #EveNews

Interesting choice of words.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Anybody want to venture a guess as to the excuse....or level of outrage...if any....Obama shows us?

The world knows that Hillary and Barack back the Muslim Brotherhood....which the world sees is nothing but a bunch of bloodthirsty cretins and savages.  Which has no place in politics....or position of authority.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads

:amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
CBS News ‏@CBSNews 1m

JUST IN: President Obama calls on Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically...

Sorry, Morsi. Under the bus you go.

Offline Rapunzel

Is it Morsi?  or a standin?  video time stamp is EET, not DST.  I've been following since 7AM DST--Cairo is six hours ahead of us.

I had to go out and run errands so am just now catching up.  Fox seemed to think it was real, but that was four hours ago...
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I had to go out and run errands so am just now catching up.  Fox seemed to think it was real, but that was four hours ago...

He's gone.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23159066

Live feed and time line

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
President Obama’s statement on Egypt

Statement by President Barack Obama on Egypt

As I have said since the Egyptian Revolution, the United States supports a set of core principles, including opposition to violence, protection of universal human rights, and reform that meets the legitimate aspirations of the people. The United States does not support particular individuals or political parties, but we are committed to the democratic process and respect for the rule of law. Since the current unrest in Egypt began, we have called on all parties to work together to address the legitimate grievances of the Egyptian people, in accordance with the democratic process, and without recourse to violence or the use of force.

The United States is monitoring the very fluid situation in Egypt, and we believe that ultimately the future of Egypt can only be determined by the Egyptian people. Nevertheless, we are deeply concerned by the decision of the Egyptian Armed Forces to remove President Morsy and suspend the Egyptian constitution. I now call on the Egyptian military to move quickly and responsibly to return full authority back to a democratically elected civilian government as soon as possible through an inclusive and transparent process, and to avoid any arbitrary arrests of President Morsy and his supporters. Given today’s developments, I have also directed the relevant departments and agencies to review the implications under U.S. law for our assistance to the Government of Egypt.

The United States continues to believe firmly that the best foundation for lasting stability in Egypt is a democratic political order with participation from all sides and all political parties —secular and religious, civilian and military. During this uncertain period, we expect the military to ensure that the rights of all Egyptian men and women are protected, including the right to peaceful assembly, due process, and free and fair trials in civilian courts. Moreover, the goal of any political process should be a government that respects the rights of all people, majority and minority; that institutionalizes the checks and balances upon which democracy depends; and that places the interests of the people above party or faction. The voices of all those who have protested peacefully must be heard – including those who welcomed today’s developments, and those who have supported President Morsy. In the interim, I urge all sides to avoid violence and come together to ensure the lasting restoration of Egypt’s democracy.

No transition to democracy comes without difficulty, but in the end it must stay true to the will of the people. An honest, capable and representative government is what ordinary Egyptians seek and what they deserve. The longstanding partnership between the United States and Egypt is based on shared interests and values, and we will continue to work with the Egyptian people to ensure that Egypt’s transition to democracy succeeds.

http://soupsoup.net/2013/07/03/president-obamas-statement-on-egypt/