Author Topic: House to vote on punishing Steve King  (Read 4928 times)

Offline corbe

Re: House to vote on punishing Steve King
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2019, 04:04:01 pm »
Ted Cruz calls Steve King's comments on white supremacy "stupid"

By Patrick Svitek

Posted: 11:57 AM, January 13, 2019

Updated: 3:45 PM, January 13, 2019

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, on Sunday condemned recent comments from U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, questioning why white supremacy is seen as offensive. Cruz did not rule out lending future support to King, a central figure in his 2016 presidential campaign.

"What Steve King said was stupid," Cruz said during an interview on NBC's "Face the Nation." "It was stupid, it was hurtful, it was wrong and he needs to stop it."

<..snip..>

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/ted-cruz-calls-steve-king-s-comments-on-white-supremacy-stupid-
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline jpsb

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2019, 04:10:17 pm »
Where did you see that @jpsb   If Cruz did condemn King, he slips a notch in my estimation and I am a total Cruzer.

@Emjay

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/cruz-what-steve-king-said-was-stupid-1425006147603

Offline skeeter

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2019, 04:12:04 pm »
@Emjay

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-press/video/cruz-what-steve-king-said-was-stupid-1425006147603

Disappointing. Cruz should know better than to comment without hearing King's side first. But at least he isn't demanding his resignation.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2019, 04:15:26 pm »
Disappointing. Cruz should know better than to comment without hearing King's side first. But at least he isn't demanding his resignation.

Agreed.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2019, 04:22:19 pm »
Ted Cruz calls Steve King's comments on white supremacy "stupid"

By Patrick Svitek

Posted: 11:57 AM, January 13, 2019

Updated: 3:45 PM, January 13, 2019

U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, on Sunday condemned recent comments from U.S. Rep. Steve King, R-Iowa, questioning why white supremacy is seen as offensive. Cruz did not rule out lending future support to King, a central figure in his 2016 presidential campaign.

"What Steve King said was stupid," Cruz said during an interview on NBC's "Face the Nation." "It was stupid, it was hurtful, it was wrong and he needs to stop it."

<..snip..>

https://www.ksat.com/news/texas/ted-cruz-calls-steve-king-s-comments-on-white-supremacy-stupid-

Well aren’t you the first amendment warrior. You show no fear or favoritism.

Are you doing penance @corbe ? I’m really impressed lately by your choices for information to post.

:beer:

Offline corbe

« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2019, 04:27:00 pm »
   Too many Briefers were talking openly about putting me on their Ignore list, I figured a change in my ways seemed appropriate at this juncture,  @aligncare
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2019, 04:35:49 pm »

Yep.  I think it was a knee-jerk reaction which usually makes people a jerk.

Conservatives should stick together.

And, I really think it is okay to:  Be white, be conservative and (oh, horrors) be a man.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2019, 04:38:29 pm »
Where did you see that @jpsb   If Cruz did condemn King, he slips a notch in my estimation and I am a total Cruzer.

The moment he boarded the Trump train, Cruz reminded all of us he is just another politician. He will do whatever is necessary to preserve his  political career even if it means selling out his principles and his supporters along with it.  Cruz has gauged which way the wind is blowing in the  Republican camp and he's moving right along with it. 

Offline corbe

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2019, 04:39:48 pm »
   So sad and so very true @Applewood

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2019, 04:44:03 pm »
Yep.  I think it was a knee-jerk reaction which usually makes people a jerk.

Conservatives should stick together.

And, I really think it is okay to:  Be white, be conservative and (oh, horrors) be a man.

I like that one, @Emjay

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2019, 04:45:34 pm »
You’re obviously still struggling.
Did I stutter?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2019, 04:45:46 pm »
   So sad and so very true @Applewood

No, it's not.  Though this action is disappointing, Cruz is still going against the grain in many other areas.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2019, 04:53:35 pm »
The moment he boarded the Trump train, Cruz reminded all of us he is just another politician. He will do whatever is necessary to preserve his  political career even if it means selling out his principles and his supporters along with it.  Cruz has gauged which way the wind is blowing in the  Republican camp and he's moving right along with it.

How true.

As a matter of fact, every single thing wrong with politics is Trump’s fault.

Take the Mueller investigation. If it weren’t for Trump, those top echelon FBI guys would never have deliberately broken their oaths to...

FBI Oath:
...support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well ...

Orange man bad.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2019, 05:09:49 pm »

I could not disagree more, Apple.  Cruz changed his mind about Trump as did many of us.  He is a man of principle even though he did make a dumb remark about King.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2019, 05:10:26 pm »
Flashback, January 19, 2018:

Tom Cotton tears into Lindsey Graham for calling him the 'Steve King of the Senate'
Joe Perticone

Sen. Lindsey Graham referred to Sen. Tom Cotton as the "Steve King of the Senate" to paint him as a hardline opponent to a bipartisan immigration deal.

Cotton responded on Tuesday by hitting Graham's lack of success in the 2016 presidential campaign.

WASHINGTON — Sen. Tom Cotton on Friday lashed out at fellow Republican Sen. Lindsey Graham for accusing him of being the "Steve King of the Senate" as a jab at taking hardline positions on immigration issues.

In an interview with MSNBC Friday morning, Graham chided Cotton for his positions on undocumented immigrants benefitting from the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program.

"All I can say is we're not going to end family immigration for DACA," Graham said. "The Tom Cotton approach has no viability here. You know, he's become sort of the Steve King of the Senate."

Read more at: https://www.businessinsider.com/tom-cotton-rips-lindsey-graham-steve-king-insult-2018-1

Kind of interesting, this attests to a refusal to compromise on the issues and not saying anything racist. Though, Cotton may have been accused of that per more subtle means as he voted against the prison reform bill.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:29 pm »
No, it's not.  Though this action is disappointing, Cruz is still going against the grain in many other areas.

He's Trump's lapdog. 

Offline libertybele

« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2019, 05:11:39 pm »
*****rollingeyes*****

Exactly.   No entirely true; he called the comment "stupid" but did not rule out his future support for him.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2019, 05:25:19 pm »
Cruz represents his constituency and I think he's said plenty of things that reflect that, like a week after Charlottesville, he came out and condemned white supremacy. There is nothing wrong with gauging the sentiment of your constituency and then, making a comment.

Kicking someone off of committees as King has been, has to be somewhat of a death penalty for his seat as a representative.  Is this for a temporary period or forever?

Though these are or appear to be left-wing sources, he was already getting into hot water (even more than before), last October:

Oct 25, 2018
Rep. Steve King Goes Full White Nationalist In Interview With Austrian Site
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/iowa-rep-steve-king-austria-white-nationalist_us_5bca4851e4b0a8f17eec6001

And look, this is from 2016!

December 23, 2016
Steve King Met with Leaders of Trump-Friendly Austrian Party with Nazi Roots
http://iowainformer.com/politics/2016/12/steve-king-trump-nazi-freedom-party/
(granted, Nazi roots is a bit dramatic, but it does mean, they were around back in the day, a topic to research by itself)

This is not some brand new thing, I think an investigation should have been done first but King should have known, he had no room for error, he is either incredibly naive or does reflect far out opinions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 05:26:04 pm by TomSea »

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 05:27:55 pm »
He's Trump's lapdog.

@Applewood   Guess you're not all that concerned about your credibility because that statement would destroy whatever was left of it.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:12 pm »
He's Trump's lapdog.

Good morning, sunshine!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2019, 05:31:48 pm »
Cruz represents his constituency and I think he's said plenty of things that reflect that, like a week after Charlottesville, he came out and condemned white supremacy. There is nothing wrong with gauging the sentiment of your constituency and then, making a comment.

Kicking someone off of committees as King has been, has to be somewhat of a death penalty for his seat as a representative.  Is this for a temporary period or forever?

Though these are or appear to be left-wing sources, he was already getting into hot water (even more than before), last October:

(granted, Nazi roots is a bit dramatic, but it does mean, they were around back in the day, a topic to research by itself)

This is not some brand new thing, I think an investigation should have been done first but King should have known, he had no room for error, he is either incredibly naive or does reflect far out opinions.

King may not be everybody's cup of cocoa but he raises some valid points about the corruption of language by the left and the snowflakes.

So, it is okay for a new representative to make all kinds of outrageous comments, accuse everyone of being, racist but it is not okay to say being a white person is okay.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2019, 05:32:19 pm »

That appears to be the situation.  This comment, alone, would not destroy his support, but it's the sum of things he's said over time.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2019, 05:55:56 pm »

I have no problem maintaining a strict code of morality in congress as long as both sides are held to the same standard. But they are not.

Allowing the rats to maintain their noxious, anti semetic, anti white associations while busting Steve King down for what probably was a perfectly innocuous statement because it SOUNDED objectionable is a dangerous road to travel.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2019, 06:26:39 pm »
I have no problem maintaining a strict code of morality in congress as long as both sides are held to the same standard. But they are not.

Allowing the rats to maintain their noxious, anti semetic, anti white associations while busting Steve King down for what probably was a perfectly innocuous statement because it SOUNDED objectionable is a dangerous road to travel.

Could not agree more @skeeter   We are going down a dangerous road if we sanction our own for making perfectly reasonable (though maybe not PC) comments.

I am furious at Republicans for their reaction.  They should have supported King and compared his comment to some of the really outrageous things said, and applauded, by leftist pols.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2019, 06:34:01 pm »
This is the hill y'all are standing on?

A back-bench Congressman from Iowa with a chronic case of verbal diarrhea in regard to racial issues that dates back over a decade?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024