Author Topic: Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 29  (Read 4548 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Dead in cars and homes: Northern California fire toll at 29
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 01:40:43 am »
@Sanguine

Besides not getting the wind gusts in the flatlands that you get in the mountains,the terrain in Texas is MUCH easier for the fire crews to maneuver in to set back fires,dig fire lines,get pumper trucks to hot spots,etc,etc,etc.

Even if you can see where you need to get in the mountains,that doesn't mean you can get there the same day.
:silly: I'm from North Dakota, where if the wind ever quit blowing, people would fall down from not knowing which way to lean. And a prairie fire can be every bit as devastating as a fire in a canyon. Entire towns have been wiped out by those, too. The land looks a lot flatter than it is, (partly because that's the easiest place to build the roads), and that is why the locals were able to sneak up on the pony soldiers with amazing regularity.

I'm not saying this isn't a horrorshow, but it's still brought on by poor management of the land and fuel loads, human activity. While some of the obstacles to mitigation of the results are terrain and nature itself, many are imposed by edict, and those need to be addressed if people are going to continue living in these areas without results like these.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 01:45:16 am »
:silly: I'm from North Dakota, where if the wind ever quit blowing, people would fall down from not knowing which way to lean. And a prairie fire can be every bit as devastating as a fire in a canyon. Entire towns have been wiped out by those, too. The land looks a lot flatter than it is, (partly because that's the easiest place to build the roads), and that is why the locals were able to sneak up on the pony soldiers with amazing regularity.

I'm not saying this isn't a horrorshow, but it's still brought on by poor management of the land and fuel loads, human activity. While some of the obstacles to mitigation of the results are terrain and nature itself, many are imposed by edict, and those need to be addressed if people are going to continue living in these areas without results like these.

@Smokin Joe

I don't think it is a problem that will ever be solved. Mother Nature and human stupidity is a hard combo to beat.  I  consider breaking even to be the same as a win.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 01:56:59 am »
@Smokin Joe

I don't think it is a problem that will ever be solved. Mother Nature and human stupidity is a hard combo to beat.  I  consider breaking even to be the same as a win.
Consider it part of the natural selection process. People are so removed from real, root-hog-or-die nature where living another day just gets you another day to not get killed. They forget that nature is brutal, by nature.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 02:38:29 am »
Well the bottom line we constantly live with risk. Be it fire storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, flash floods or even asteroids.

We try to minimize the risks but they are never zero.

Shit happens besides our best efforts.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 02:41:40 am »
Well the bottom line we constantly live with risk. Be it fire storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, earthquakes, volcanoes, flash floods or even asteroids.

We try to minimize the risks but they are never zero.

Shit happens besides our best efforts.

Right @DB ...
But risk abatement is no longer practiced, at least not up here in the big timber.
In the whole first half of my life, this valley filled up with smoke a handful of times.
Now it happens every summer.
There is a reason for that.

Online DB

« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 03:06:32 am »
Right @DB ...
But risk abatement is no longer practiced, at least not up here in the big timber.
In the whole first half of my life, this valley filled up with smoke a handful of times.
Now it happens every summer.
There is a reason for that.

I'm not arguing that environmentalist haven't been bad for the environment or peoples safety. They have. There's certainly room for a lot of improvement but it still isn't risk free and bad shit will still happen.

All this will pale when the "big one" hits California, and it will. I think sooner than later. A lot has been done to mitigate earthquake damage - but it won't be enough with something pushing an 8 in heavily populated areas - and there are many where the San Andreas lies.

Online DB

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 03:12:31 am »
The Camp fire death toll is now at 56 with 130 people unaccounted for.

10,321 structures burned and at least 52,000 people are still evacuated.

https://ksby.com/news/fire-watch/2018/11/14/winds-slow-spread-of-northern-california-camp-fire

Think about that for a moment...

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 03:16:32 am »

https://ksby.com/news/fire-watch/2018/11/14/winds-slow-spread-of-northern-california-camp-fire

Horrible.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 03:31:56 am »
I'm not arguing that environmentalist haven't been bad for the environment or peoples safety. They have. There's certainly room for a lot of improvement but it still isn't risk free and bad shit will still happen.

All this will pale when the "big one" hits California, and it will. I think sooner than later. A lot has been done to mitigate earthquake damage - but it won't be enough with something pushing an 8 in heavily populated areas - and there are many where the San Andreas lies.

That's right... Like putting a million dollar home On Gulf Coast beachfront... It is really just a matter of time.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 02:02:39 pm »
Agreed.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2018, 02:15:01 pm »

Yeah, that has the ready potential to be a disaster of Biblical proportions.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2018, 12:53:44 am »

@DB

Those numbers are something that is really hard to wrap your mind around. I don't even think the massive fire bombings of Europe and Japan during WW-2 racked up those numbers on any one raid.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2018, 01:18:21 am »

Those numbers are something that is really hard to wrap your mind around. I don't even think the massive fire bombings of Europe and Japan during WW-2 racked up those numbers on any one raid.

In the four raids on Dresden an estimated 22,700 to 25,000 people were killed, although larger casualty figures have been claimed. The stats don't break down to each single raid.

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2018, 01:18:50 am »
@DB

We hit Japan pretty freaking hard with those fire bombings. Some estimates put the death toll at close to a million before we even dropped the atom bombs.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #64 on: November 16, 2018, 01:22:35 am »
We hit Japan pretty freaking hard with those fire bombings. Some estimates put the death toll at close to a million before we even dropped the atom bombs.

Operation Meetinghouse, which was conducted on the night of 9–10 March 1945, is regarded as the single most destructive bombing raid in human history. 16 square miles (41 km2) of central Tokyo were destroyed, leaving an estimated 100,000 civilians dead and over 1 million homeless.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2018, 12:25:57 pm »
MISSING CLIMBS TO WELL OVER 600

I heard it last night and was hoping I heard it wrong, but it was repeated again this morning. This after a scouring all the 911 calls they were able to add to the known list.   
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #66 on: November 16, 2018, 01:03:25 pm »
 Fire death toll hits 63; sheriff says hundreds still missing
By PAUL ELIAS and KATHLEEN RONAYNE, Associated Press
1 hr ago

CHICO, Calif. (AP) — At least 63 people are now dead from a Northern California wildfire, and officials say they have a missing persons list with 631 names on it in an ever-evolving accounting of the victims of the nation's deadliest wildfire in a century.

The high number of missing people probably includes some who fled the blaze and don't realize they've been reported missing, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said. He said he's making the list public so people can see if they are on it and let authorities know they survived. ...   More
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org