Author Topic: What it's like to live with polio-like condition AFM: one little boy's journey  (Read 373 times)

rangerrebew

What it's like to live with polio-like condition AFM: one little boy's journey
Chase Kulakowski

The diagnosis was in, but Jessica Kulakowski still didn’t have the answers, so she started scouring the internet to find out why her son’s cold had left his right arm virtually lifeless.

Online she found case studies but nothing definitive about why her then-1-year-old boy, Chase, contracted the rare polio-like condition known as acute flaccid myelitis, or AFM. The condition, in the news as a spate of new cases have made headlines in Illinois and beyond, affects mostly children and causes muscles to atrophy, leaving some bedridden with paralysis and unable to breathe on their own. Medical experts have in some cases linked the syndrome to an enterovirus, which causes the common cold and other respiratory illnesses.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-met-child-after-diganosis-poliolike-condition-afm-condition-20181018-story.html
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 03:49:37 pm by rangerrebew »

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Paging the spirit of Jonas Salk - come back, we need you.

I'm wondering if this is going to get significantly worse and more widespread, before it gets better.

Offline Applewood

The local news says AFM is rare; yet, my end of Pennsylvania has seen 8 cases in the span of a couple of months.

Not so rare, I guess, at least not recently.

I keep wondering how many of these illnesses are coming from the illegals and so-called "refugees."  Has anyone bothered to find out how prevalent illnesses like AFM are in the ratholes from which these invaders come?