Author Topic: Largest US nail manufacturer 'on the brink of extinction' because of the steel tariffs  (Read 5942 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Steel tariffs could force the nation's largest nail manufacturer to close or move to Mexico.

The Mid-Continent Nail plant in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, laid off 60 of its 500 workers last week because of increased steel costs. The company blames the 25% tariff on imported steel. Orders for nails plunged 50% after the company raised its prices to deal with higher steel costs.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/06/26/news/companies/steel-tariffs-job-losses/index.html

Online roamer_1

Waiting for a Clintonesque 'We can't worry over every underfunded company we might effect'

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Waiting for a Clintonesque 'We can't worry over every underfunded company we might effect'

You know it's coming, along with the lecture that this trade war Trump started is necessary to 'bring jobs and manufacturing back to the U.S.'

Add the targeting of businesses that are looking at going overseas because they cannot survive here in this country - and Trump may yet accomplish what Obama only dreamed of destroying.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Let's see who this "Largest US nail manufacturer" actually is.

Lo and behold, the company is a subsidiary of Deacero, a company founded in Monterrey Mexico by Don Cesar M. Gutierrez and a huge Mexican conglomerate.

http://www.magnumfasteners.com/about-us/
https://www.deacero.com/en/brands/

So we have a story about a Mexican company doing business here in the US who is impacted by steel tariffs and may return to its home.

Hey @AbaraXas - you need to do better than posting this type of trash.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Let's see who this "Largest US nail manufacturer" actually is.

Lo and behold, the company is a subsidiary of Deacero, a company founded in Monterrey Mexico by Don Cesar M. Gutierrez and a huge Mexican conglomerate.

http://www.magnumfasteners.com/about-us/
https://www.deacero.com/en/brands/

So we have a story about a Mexican company doing business here in the US who is impacted by steel tariffs and may return to its home.

Hey @AbaraXas - you need to do better than posting this type of trash.

How does that make any of it incorrect? The parent company may be from Mexico but it is still the largest U.S. nail manufacturer and those are American jobs being cut because of tariffs.

Do you not consider Chrysler an American car company even though the parent company is Fiat?

How does that make any of it incorrect? The parent company may be from Mexico but it is still the largest U.S. nail manufacturer and those are American jobs being cut because of tariffs.

Do you not consider Chrysler an American car company even though the parent company is Fiat?
Here's the headline"

Largest US nail manufacturer 'on the brink of extinction' because of the steel tariffs

Everyone reading this would believe this to be a US company being annihilated.  It is just a scare tactic.

And no, Chrysler is no longer an American company.  It is 100% owned by an Italian company called Fiat.

The CEO of Fiat Chrysler is Sergio Marchionne, another Italian.

Did you not know any of this or are you awakening from a long slumber?
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline cato potatoe

Well, a ton of US companies are partly to wholly owned/financed by foreigners.  They still employ Americans and pay American vendors like anyone else.  Trump needs to consider the unintended consequences of his tax hikes. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 03:56:59 am by cato potatoe »

Offline montanajoe

You nailed it... :beer:

Offline DB

Here's the headline"

Largest US nail manufacturer 'on the brink of extinction' because of the steel tariffs

Everyone reading this would believe this to be a US company being annihilated.  It is just a scare tactic.

And no, Chrysler is no longer an American company.  It is 100% owned by an Italian company called Fiat.

The CEO of Fiat Chrysler is Sergio Marchionne, another Italian.

Did you not know any of this or are you awakening from a long slumber?
Funny, I thought the share holders owned Fiat.

I find it interesting how you happily rationalize the destruction of peoples lives. How you like using government to pick winners and losers. And then you wonder why all the nails (and a long list of other items) you buy are made outside the country...

Toyota makes a lot of cars in the US, but F' them too right? Because they aren't an "American company"...

Funny, I thought the share holders owned Fiat.

I find it interesting how you happily rationalize the destruction of peoples lives. How you like using government to pick winners and losers. And then you wonder why all the nails (and a long list of other items) you buy are made outside the country...

Toyota makes a lot of cars in the US, but F' them too right? Because they aren't an "American company"...
You need to take your head out of wherever it is.

Where did I ever say anything other than Fiat is a foreign company?  Or that the nail manufacturer was foreign owned?

Please let me know where I said your words "you happily rationalize the destruction of peoples lives." or for Toyota F' them too right".

I am waiting to hear your response.  @DB

Offline jpsb

Where did I ever say anything other than Fiat is a foreign company?  Or that the nail manufacturer was foreign owned?

Please let me know where I said your words "you happily rationalize the destruction of peoples lives." or for Toyota F' them too right".

@IsailedawayfromFR

A lot of foreign nations restrict our access to their markets but we are not allowed to restrict their
access to our market? That is just plain crazy. And for most of our history we did not allow it
We became the world greatest super power behind high tariff walls. So called free trade that is any
thing but free trade is for sucker nations. Thankfully Trump understands this.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 05:12:18 am by jpsb »

Offline montanajoe

Two words... Smoot Hartley

Offline jpsb

Two words... Smoot Hartley

LOL, debunked many times, just another progressive talking point that is not true.

Offline DB

You rationalized away people losing their jobs because they are employed by a foreign company. That Trump punishing them is just fine in picking winners and losers.

Americans along with lots of other people own stock in Fiat. They are the "owners".

Pretty simple really.

Offline DB

LOL, debunked many times, just another progressive talking point that is not true.

LOL!

Progressive talking point is tariffs in general cause economic damage? Really? You're going to go with that?

Progressives love taxes. Sticking it to corporations.

It is the progressives who are the protectionists and want to insert government into people economic transactions.

Conservatives believe in open markets and keeping the government out of peoples economic transactions.

You have it entirely backwards.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Recently, I've been wondering what it means to "buy American".

Ford is, AFAIK, registered in the US, paying US taxes, traded on a US stock exchange, while being owned by well, whomever buys their stock, and builds their cars in Mexico to sell in the US.

BMW is a German company who builds their cars for the US market in South Carolina.  Probably incorporated in Germany, traded on a German market, and owned, by, well, whomever buys their stock.

Is the patriotic thing to do to buy a Ford, because they (might) pay more taxes to the US, or to buy a BMW because more of my money would go to US workers (aka taxpayers)?   What if 100% of Ford stock was owned by Russians, and 100% of BMW stock was owned by Chinese -- would that make a difference? 

“In our private pursuits it is a great advantage that every honest employment is deemed honorable. I am myself a nail maker.”
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline jpsb

LOL!

Progressive talking point is tariffs in general cause economic damage? Really? You're going to go with that?

Progressives love taxes. Sticking it to corporations.

It is the progressives who are the protectionists and want to insert government into people economic transactions.

Conservatives believe in open markets and keeping the government out of peoples economic transactions.

You have it entirely backwards.

You have that exactly wrong, neocons like Bush are not conservatives. Our experiment with so
called free trade was a huge failure. We went from an economic super power to a debtor nation
largely because of so called free trade. The results are in, free trade kills. Which is why most of the
rest of the world protects their industries and their markets. So called free trade is for sucker nations.

You have that exactly wrong, neocons like Bush are not conservatives. Our experiment with so
called free trade was a huge failure. We went from an economic super power to a debtor nation
largely because of so called free trade. The results are in, free trade kills. Which is why most of the
rest of the world protects their industries and their markets. So called free trade is for sucker nations.

We are about 5% of the world population.  We account for around 35% of world GDP.  If that's not an economic super power, nothing is.

I thank the Good Lord free trade put us in this position to begin with.  Exploiting the moronic "protection"ism has been one of the greatest boons to our economy any nation has ever been blessed with.  The
rest of the world protects their industries and their markets -- How come they suck and we rock?   
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline DB

We're in debt to up to our eyeballs because we decided we wanted a big all powerful government to take of us. It's growth has consumed everything.

Offline jpsb

We are about 5% of the world population.  We account for around 35% of world GDP.  If that's not an economic super power, nothing is.

I thank the Good Lord free trade put us in this position to begin with.  Exploiting the moronic "protection"ism has been one of the greatest boons to our economy any nation has ever been blessed with.  The
rest of the world protects their industries and their markets -- How come they suck and we rock?

Free trade DID NOT put us in this position. You might want to read a little history, it was behind
high tariff walls that we became an economic super power. So called free trade has just about
bankrupted us.

twenty+ trillion in debt,
1.4 billion budget deficit.
210 trillion in unfunded liabilities,
500+ billion yearly trade deficits. 

We better hope the feds don't raise interests rates or we are screwed with the huge debts we have.
We also better hope that Saudi Arabia continues to only accept US dollars for oil because that is
the only reason anyone wants our dollar.

Offline jpsb

We're in debt to up to our eyeballs because we decided we wanted a big all powerful government to take of us. It's growth has consumed everything.

True we abandoned our conservative ways an adopted progressive ism.  Progressive ism includes
so called free trade, conservatism does not. That is until the hated neocons came along and
changed what it means to be a conservative. Back in the day conservatives supported tariffs
progressives did not.

In 1896, the GOP platform pledged to “renew and emphasize our allegiance to the policy of protection, as the bulwark of American industrial independence, and the foundation of development and prosperity. This true American policy taxes foreign products and encourages home industry. It puts the burden of revenue on foreign goods; it secures the American market for the American producer. It upholds the American standard of wages for the American workingman.”

Free trade DID NOT put us in this position. You might want to read a little history, it was behind
high tariff walls that we became an economic super power. So called free trade has just about
bankrupted us.

twenty+ trillion in debt,
1.4 billion budget deficit.
210 trillion in unfunded liabilities,
500+ billion yearly trade deficits. 

We better hope the feds don't raise interests rates or we are screwed with the huge debts we have.
We also better hope that Saudi Arabia continues to only accept US dollars for oil because that is
the only reason anyone wants our dollar.

Protectionist tariffs were the norm when we we lucky enough to be a roughly sucessfull nation before becoming the great economic super power.  We didn't become successful because of them, but in spite of them. 

If one was to read a bit of history, the US became the great economic super power based on a few things.  Vast (virtually) untapped natural resources, a Christian/libertarian work ethic, and the fact that the rest of the world bombed the ever loving crap out of each others' factories in the early 20th century.  Trade allowed us to capitalize on these advantages.  Had we kept our noses stuck in the foolishness of the dark ages, we would have missed one of the greatest economic booms in history.   

P.S.  It was behind high tariff walls that the rest of the world became our bitches.  Is that really a great argument for raising taxes?   If you're going to argue that tariffs were the reason we became successful, please "explain" why they were also the reason all other nations became the opposite.   

Offline jpsb

Protectionist tariffs were the norm when we we lucky enough to be a roughly sucessfull nation before becoming the great economic super power.  We didn't become successful because of them, but in spite of them. 

If one was to read a bit of history, the US became the great economic super power based on a few things.  Vast (virtually) untapped natural resources, a Christian/libertarian work ethic, and the fact that the rest of the world bombed the ever loving crap out of each others' factories in the early 20th century.  Trade allowed us to capitalize on these advantages.  Had we kept our noses stuck in the foolishness of the dark ages, we would have missed one of the greatest economic booms in history.   

P.S.  It was behind high tariff walls that the rest of the world became our bitches.  Is that really a great argument for raising taxes?   If you're going to argue that tariffs were the reason we became successful, please "explain" why they were also the reason all other nations became the opposite.

First of all our industrial might was built from 1830's thru the 1960's. During most of that period
we had high tariffs. Used to be Republicans wanted tariffs and Democrats didn't.

Used to be that gov was funded by tariffs and not a progressive income tax. I kind of like that.

The reason tariffs help us become a economic super power is very simple. Tariffs allowed the USA
to develop our industry without having to compete with the super powers of the 19th and early
20th century. England and Germany. Note that England economic strength declined after adopting
so called free trade. Lincoln said "If we buy the rail from England, we will have the rail and England
will have the money. But if we make the rail here we will have the rail and we will have the money."
Lincoln was quite correct on that.

All the rest of the world did not become the opposite. WW1 took a terrible toll on Europe but
Europe recovered and then along comes WW2. Again a terrible toll on Europe (and Japan) but
both have recovered and it is interesting to note both have protectionist tariffs and other restrictions
that hinder American companies from completing in their markets as does China.

Please explain how China became an economic super power behind high tariff walls if tariffs are bad
for a nations economy? Dido the super power of Europe, Germany.

We are broke, up to our neck in debt and running huge trade deficits. I'd say our free trade
experiment has been a huge failure. Maybe we should go back to what we know works, protecting
American industry and American jobs. Just like what most of the rest of the world is doing.

Oceander

That nails it!

Offline DB

First of all our industrial might was built from 1830's thru the 1960's. During most of that period
we had high tariffs. Used to be Republicans wanted tariffs and Democrats didn't.

Used to be that gov was funded by tariffs and not a progressive income tax. I kind of like that.

The reason tariffs help us become a economic super power is very simple. Tariffs allowed the USA
to develop our industry without having to compete with the super powers of the 19th and early
20th century. England and Germany. Note that England economic strength declined after adopting
so called free trade. Lincoln said "If we buy the rail from England, we will have the rail and England
will have the money. But if we make the rail here we will have the rail and we will have the money."
Lincoln was quite correct on that.

All the rest of the world did not become the opposite. WW1 took a terrible toll on Europe but
Europe recovered and then along comes WW2. Again a terrible toll on Europe (and Japan) but
both have recovered and it is interesting to note both have protectionist tariffs and other restrictions
that hinder American companies from completing in their markets as does China.

Please explain how China became an economic super power behind high tariff walls if tariffs are bad
for a nations economy? Dido the super power of Europe, Germany.

We are broke, up to our neck in debt and running huge trade deficits. I'd say our free trade
experiment has been a huge failure. Maybe we should go back to what we know works, protecting
American industry and American jobs. Just like what most of the rest of the world is doing.

I suggest you go look at China's per capita GDP and see just how wealthy they really are. It is something like a quarter of the US's. That is a drastic difference.

Yes, they've had a lot of growth - but that's because they started from essentially zero in relatively recent times when they loosened the economic shackles on their people. They are not the model for economic success, especially long term.

Our economic problems are primarily because of big government cradle to grave social services/regulation intertwined with government corruption seeking more power/votes consuming a large part of our resources. We've already passed critical mass between the makers and the takers. And the government keeps piling on more demands of the makers while expanding the pool of takers. It is death by a thousand cuts. And it is very unlikely to change course because of that critical mass issue. The chain reaction is already in motion.