Author Topic: 660,000 More Job Openings Than Unemployed Workers, As People Quitting Hits All Time High  (Read 1383 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-09-11/660000-more-job-openings-unemployed-workers-people-quitting-hits-all-time-high

The US labor market continues to grow at a blistering pace.

According to the BLS, in July the number of job openings in the US hit a new all time high of 6.939 million, up from an upward revised 6.822 million, and a new all time high.

More importantly, despite recent revisions, July was the second consecutive month in which total job openings surpassed the number of unemployed Americans, which last month declined to 6.28 million. This means that there are 660 thousand more job openings than unemployed Americans who are seeking ajob (how accurate the BLS data is, is another matter entirely).

In other words, in an economy in which there was a perfect match between worker skills and employer needs, there would be zero unemployed people at this moment (of course, that is not the case.)

According to the BLS, the number of job openings increased in finance and insurance (+46,000) and nondurable goods manufacturing (+32,000) but decreased in retail trade (-85,000), educational services (-34,000), and federal government (-19,000). The number of job openings was little changed in all four regions.

Offline skeeter

Time to attack social welfare programs. No reason to tolerate working age professional grifters anymore.

Offline Frank Cannon

Time to attack social welfare programs. No reason to tolerate working age professional grifters anymore.

Exactly. You can take care of getting rid of a lot of excesses during a boom like this.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Seems to me that people are quitting so they can get a better paying job.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline thackney

Yes, those that took a job just to keep the bills paid are doing better now at finding work they want.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline skeeter

Yep. The wife and I employ a half dozen min wage workers and we're having a heckuva time finding labor. Those applying are mostly from the bottom labor rung - senior caregivers and maids.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 04:03:14 pm by skeeter »

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Take this job and shove it! 

Good times to be working.   Obama damn near killed us.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

Good times to be working.   Obama damn near killed us.

Nope.  Obama merely woke us up.  Hillary Clinton damn near killed us.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Frank Cannon

Nice to see Johnnie Paycheck being quoted again.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor

Dang! I guess its good I got out when I did. They're right when they said "Timing is Everything".

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
Nice to see Johnnie Paycheck being quoted again.

I couldn't find one of them new Tractor Rap crap country artists who was quotable.  Had to go outlaw.

Offline Frank Cannon

I couldn't find one of them new Tractor Rap crap country artists who was quotable.  Had to go outlaw.

Nothing is more outlaw than when Charlie Rich burned John Denver's CMA award when he won.

Online Wingnut

Nothing is more outlaw than when Charlie Rich burned John Denver's CMA award when he won.

Denver was a bad pilot and had no business winning any music awards outside of pop/rock top 40