Author Topic: Trump is determined to take down Amazon — and it could be terrible news for HQ2  (Read 10692 times)

Offline Frank Cannon

True story: a couple years ago, I was perusing Craigslist and started looking at the Personals section, just for jollies.

I came across a "woman seeking man" personal. A blurry picture, seemed like a decent enough person, not that I'd ever date anyone off that site. I wondered why she'd be on a seedy place like Craigslist. Well, a couple of days later, I found out. Another guy had apparently taken the bait and found out "she" was a shemale.

They need love too?

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
Except.  More at:

http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-amazon-hatred-raises-hq2-concerns-2018-3

I used to love shopping Amazon, until it appeared it was apparent that each purchase means a nail in the coffin for brick and mortar stores.   Folks,  it may not be long until touching, feeling, and trying a product before purchase becomes a thing of the past.

Now, I will only use Amazon for things I can't buy normally at the store.   Even if it many paying a few dollars more for it.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 05:17:38 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Idiot

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
They need love too?

Never discount The Low Spark of High Heeled Boys in matters of the heart.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Applewood

I used to love shopping Amazon, until it appeared it was apparent that each purchase means a nail in the coffin for brick and mortar stores.   Folks,  it may not be long until touching, feeling, and trying a product before purchase becomes a thing of the past.

Now, I will only use Amazon for things I can't buy normally at the store.   Even if it many paying a few dollars more for it.

To be fair, I think a lot of brick and mortar stores are going under because of their own bad business decisions.  Look at Sears.  Today, I read that the CEO is getting a raise -- while the company is crying that it is losing money.  This is the latest in a long line of bad decisions that are killing the chain. 

Then there are malls where many of these stores are located.  Many of them have become unsafe.  Too many gangstas roaming around.  If they aren't shooting each other on mall property, they are shoplifting or sticking up the patrons or breaking into cars in the parking lots -- among other things.  Mall owners make a lot of money gouging their tenants, but they refuse to spend the money to make their property safe.  Add to that the crowds, particularly around the December holidays.  Why go through the hassle and potential danger when you can sit at home in your jammies and buy online? 

So it's not necessarily Amazon's fault that these retailers aren't smart enough to deliver a product with the speed, convenience, safety and customer service of Amazon.

I agree that there are some things I don't want to buy sight unseen online -- major appliances, for example.  And I can't see ordering perishables like milk online, so there will always be stores -- although Amazon is experimenting with physical stores for those things you can't buy online.  But for a lot of things -- particularly when the weather is bad or if it's really too much trouble to actually go to  a store -- Amazon is all right with me.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
To be fair, I think a lot of brick and mortar stores are going under because of their own bad business decisions.  Look at Sears.  Today, I read that the CEO is getting a raise -- while the company is crying that it is losing money.  This is the latest in a long line of bad decisions that are killing the chain. 

Then there are malls where many of these stores are located.  Many of them have become unsafe.  Too many gangstas roaming around.  If they aren't shooting each other on mall property, they are shoplifting or sticking up the patrons or breaking into cars in the parking lots -- among other things.  Mall owners make a lot of money gouging their tenants, but they refuse to spend the money to make their property safe.  Add to that the crowds, particularly around the December holidays.  Why go through the hassle and potential danger when you can sit at home in your jammies and buy online? 

So it's not necessarily Amazon's fault that these retailers aren't smart enough to deliver a product with the speed, convenience, safety and customer service of Amazon.

I agree that there are some things I don't want to buy sight unseen online -- major appliances, for example.  And I can't see ordering perishables like milk online, so there will always be stores -- although Amazon is experimenting with physical stores for those things you can't buy online.  But for a lot of things -- particularly when the weather is bad or if it's really too much trouble to actually go to  a store -- Amazon is all right with me.

Some valid points, but there are still plenty of well run companies that are suffering.  I'd rather not contribute to their demise.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline DB

Some valid points, but there are still plenty of well run companies that are suffering.  I'd rather not contribute to their demise.

The simple truth for all business is adapt or die. The one constant in life beyond death is change.

Online catfish1957

The simple truth for all business is adapt or die. The one constant in life beyond death is change.

I agree.  For 95% of people getting everything via AMZ via mail, that may be fine.  Not for me though, and my prerogative  as a consumer to exercise that right.

Offline Victoria33

Perhaps I’m naive, but this seems like a really stupid thing for a populist liberal to do.
Since with Trump it is always about him, what does he expect to gain from this?
@musiclady

It is personal, as usual, for Trump to destroy anyone opposed to him.  Jeff Bezos, owner of Amazon, also owns the Washington Post newspaper, which Trump detests, and Jeff has more money than he does.  Trump will keep after Amazon to destroy it and Jeff.

Many of us depend on Amazon for items we use/want due to problems walking distances in big stores and some people have no transportation to get to stores.  Amazon delivers when they say it will be there.  One time a package was lost in transit and another one was sent immediately.   One time I had to return something and by the time I got back from mailing it, it was already credited to my account.

No one is safe from Trump's madness.  Medicare not paying for pain meds starts Jan. 1. Plus, only 7 pain pills can be bought at one time.  He will say he won the war on drugs as prescriptions for it will drop dramatically.  His "win" will cause suicide numbers to go up as people won't be able to stop their pain.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
@musiclady

Plus, only 7 pain pills can be bought at one time. 

Would you kindly provide proof for that claim?  Thanks in advance.

@Victoria33 @Cyber Liberty
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Victoria33

Would you kindly provide proof for that claim?  Thanks in advance.
@Victoria33 @Cyber Liberty
@truth_seeker
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

Dallas Morning News, Wednesday, March 28, 2018, front page, then going to 9A, whole page except for a large ad on page.

"The rule means Medicare would deny coverage for more than seven days of prescription equivalent to 90 milligrams or more of morphine daily, except for patients with cancer or in hospice."

So, you only get 7 days worth unless you are dying.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

And Amazon is big for the most part because consumers freely chose them. There isn't a thing on Amazon (other than a few of their branded products but even those have competing types of products) that most people can't choose to buy at a local business or one of thousands of places online.

This really comes down to two things- greed and pettiness. Greed from people that want some of their money and pettiness that they don't agree with them on everything. The government shouldn't be in the business of either (but sadly they are).

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@truth_seeker
@Cyber Liberty
@mystery-ak

Dallas Morning News, Wednesday, March 28, 2018, front page, then going to 9A, whole page except for a large ad on page.

"The rule means Medicare would deny coverage for more than seven days of prescription equivalent to 90 milligrams or more of morphine daily, except for patients with cancer or in hospice."

So, you only get 7 days worth unless you are dying.

@truth_seeker  I found it in the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/health/opioids-medicare-limits.html

What @Victoria33 says is 100% backed up in the story.  Vic, we still have a couple of days to gripe them about it, the rule doesn't get approved until Monday, April 2nd, and NYT is reporting a great deal of blowback on this.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

@truth_seeker  I found it in the NYT:
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/health/opioids-medicare-limits.html
What @Victoria33 says is 100% backed up in the story.  Vic, we still have a couple of days to gripe them about it, the rule doesn't get approved until Monday, April 2nd, and NYT is reporting a great deal of blowback on this.
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, that is the article that is in the Dallas Morning News.  If this happens on Jan. 1, let me know which back street ally I can go to, to buy the pain med from a shifty guy with a black hoodie over his face.  These guys will always have it. /sarcastic

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/prescribing-policies-states-confront-opioid-overdose-epidemic.aspx

This is a link from the NYT version of the story. It indicates 24 states already have limits, but not CA, AZ or TX.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
http://www.ncsl.org/research/health/prescribing-policies-states-confront-opioid-overdose-epidemic.aspx

This is a link from the NYT version of the story. It indicates 24 states already have limits, but not CA, AZ or TX.

So, is it OK for Trump's bureaucrats to shove Doctors away from their Patients, leaving them in crippling pain, or just OK if States do it?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

Yes, that is the article that is in the Dallas Morning News.  If this happens on Jan. 1, let me know which back street ally I can go to, to buy the pain med from a shifty guy with a black hoodie over his face.  These guys will always have it. /sarcastic

I called my Congresswoman.  She's a Dem, so is likely to get in Trump's bureaucrats' faces because she hates the Parade Boy.  Hates me too, probably, but I don't care.
I will NOT comply.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

I called my Congresswoman.  She's a Dem, so is likely to get in Trump's bureaucrats' faces because she hates the Parade Boy.  Hates me too, probably, but I don't care.

It looks like Andy Biggs will be my congressman in a month or two. From his Wiki page he looks pretty promising. Any brief opinion of him?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It looks like Andy Biggs will be my congressman in a month or two. From his Wiki page he looks pretty promising. Any brief opinion of him?

Heard him on Broomhead (I think it was yesterday or the day before).  Seems like a good guy, supports "Right to Choose" that would allow terminal patients to try advanced drugs without official FDA approval.  Opposes so-called Net Neutrality.  You're moving in, right?

I am in the next district over, I have Kyrsten Sinema, a Dem.  She's done after this term because she's running for Flake's Senate seat.  My district was one of the designated safe Dem seats by the mis-named "non-partisan" Redistricting Committee in 2010.
I will NOT comply.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
Even in his 'trying' he is wiping out billions in investor value with his mouth and his thumbs.

Lost value comes back as soon as people realize that nothing will actually happen.

Even in his 'trying' he is lying about their not paying taxes (they actually pay a crap load).

Even in his 'trying' he is threatening a national sales tax on them.

Even in his 'trying' he is threatening to sick the justice department on them for anti-trust violations even though the are in no way a monopoly. (they are big because consumers choose them, not because there isn't competition).

Yes.  Because 'trying" to do something that isn't going to happen anyway doesn't keep me up at night. 

Is there anything about this that is Conservative for supports free markets?

So what if it isn't?

I really don't get this.  If there was some "Conservative of the Year" poll that actually mattered, or if we were in the middle of a primary season and trying to decide which guy to pick as the nominee, then sure.  I'd care more.  But otherwise, what ultimately matters more than every stupid word he says, or every moronic tweet, is what actually gets enacted on a policy level.  The whole "he's really a bad guy" argument doesn't make sense to me.  I don't care much if he's a bad guy, or not a consistent conservative.  I care what he actually gets done.  Hell, if he does all the right things for all the completely wrong reasons, I'm fine with that.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

People who want a father figure in office are most likely to be offended by the dumb, unpresidential things Trump sometimes does, like a child catching dad picking his nose.

As long as he brings the paycheck home, who cares?

Exactly.  That's not to say the other stuff doesn't matter at all, but in terms of relative importance, I'll take the rude, uncultured cad who ends up doing the right thing over the urbane, clever sophisticate who does the wrong thing.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

[/b]

But even if he can't do anything -- just his tweets and his whining adversely affects the markets.  He starts a trade war and the Dow plunges.

And then it popped right back up.

He threatens Amazon and Amazon's stock drops. 

It did?  You may want to check again.

As I said, stupid words that can't be backed up end up being meaningless.  Trump tweets, some morons panic for a few hours, but by the end of the day, the price is up over 1%.  Which illustrates perfectly the point I was making about policy being far more important than rhetoric.

Offline DB