Author Topic: Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent  (Read 3362 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2018, 10:39:49 pm »
Why don't we "compromise" between "standard" time and daylight saving time?

By setting the clocks back 30 minutes, and just leaving them there?

Isn't that the kind of thing that politicians do?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2018, 11:43:42 pm »
And his irresistible thirst for a drink of water...  :laugh:

888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2018, 12:27:24 am »

:laughingdog:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2018, 02:52:23 am »

@Fishrrman
They would . . . I guess . . . but do you think they could do it without endless debates on half an hour, full hour, fifteen minutes, et. al.?

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2018, 02:49:14 pm »
If you define "bounds" by what he can get away with, probably correct.  I still want to know what pressing need does this address?

Just my opinion, but I believe having a consistent standard of time is just as important as creating a consistent standard of currency- especially in the information age.

We all know the story of how the Bay of Pigs invasion was completely FUBAR due to a failure to account for DST. Now imagine that multiplied at the speed information is used now.

I think the pressing issue is several States have started all trying to go their own way. It was one thing when it was just Arizona, but when you have more and more doing their own thing, it could create chaos in time measurement for systems that rely on it.

Imagine this. You are a pilot of an airline flying across the Northeast, and several states decide to ditch DST while others stick to it. Flying across several States, like Delaware, Maryland, etc, your time calculations can impact navigation and even control tower hand-offs. You have so many technical resources using time as a baseline factor for operation, they all have to be calibrated for flying over different states, often within minutes of each other depending on the path.

It is an issue that has been a long time coming due to the progress of technology. It is based on when operations worked at the speed of sunrise versus the speed of data.

Offline thackney

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2018, 03:13:34 pm »
Imagine this. You are a pilot of an airline flying across the Northeast, and several states decide to ditch DST while others stick to it. Flying across several States, like Delaware, Maryland, etc, your time calculations can impact navigation and even control tower hand-offs. You have so many technical resources using time as a baseline factor for operation, they all have to be calibrated for flying over different states, often within minutes of each other depending on the path.

In a related history, did you know railroads created the first time zones, to handle every town defining 12 noon as when the sun was at its zenith.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/railroads-create-the-first-time-zones
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2018, 03:32:54 pm »
In a related history, did you know railroads created the first time zones, to handle every town defining 12 noon as when the sun was at its zenith.

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/railroads-create-the-first-time-zones

I did not know that.
<He said in his Johnny Carson Voice>
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:33:11 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2018, 03:35:57 pm »
I did not know that.
<He said in his Johnny Carson Voice>

I didn't either.  How come we didn't know that?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:01 pm »
Just my opinion, but I believe having a consistent standard of time is just as important as creating a consistent standard of currency- especially in the information age.

We all know the story of how the Bay of Pigs invasion was completely FUBAR due to a failure to account for DST. Now imagine that multiplied at the speed information is used now.

I think the pressing issue is several States have started all trying to go their own way. It was one thing when it was just Arizona, but when you have more and more doing their own thing, it could create chaos in time measurement for systems that rely on it.

It is an issue that has been a long time coming due to the progress of technology. It is based on when operations worked at the speed of sunrise versus the speed of data.

There is certainly a national interest in establishing time standards, the same as the Feds defining the measurements of length, weight and so in, through the National Institute of Standards and Technology.  I work in a R&D lab with many instruments that require periodic calibration to verify they are traceable to NIST.  The problem I have is with a Senator from Florida deciding what's best for Arizona or Nevada.  If DST is to be done away with (I'm in AZ so, as you can imagine, I'm fine with that), what's wrong with using Standard Time?  It's called "Standard" for a reason, no?  Year-round "Daylight Savings Time" doesn't just sound stupid, it actually is stupid.

As for your example about airliners and Air Traffic Control, I'm pretty sure they use GMT, or "Zulu" for their time standard, so it's the same time everywhere (My Dad was a Private Pilot).  Local time is the concern of the airports, not the airplanes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:12 pm »

In a related matter... and in my defense,  I was a product of a public school system education.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2018, 03:38:38 pm »

@AbaraXas

I completely agree!  That is precisely why we need to set the damned clocks and then leave them the hell alone!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 03:39:05 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2018, 03:39:02 pm »

As Sheila Jackson Lee would say, "That was 400 years ago." :laugh:

(I knew that, but I'm a stickler about these things.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2018, 03:40:17 pm »
In a related matter... and in my defense,  I was a product of a public school system education.

That must be it; me too.

Offline thackney

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »
That must be it; me too.

No excuse.  I was as well.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2018, 03:41:41 pm »
There is certainly a national interest in establishing time standards, the same as the Feds defining the measurements of length, weight and so in, through the National Institute of Standards and Technology.  I work in a R&D lab with many instruments that require periodic calibration to verify they are traceable to NIST.  The problem I have is with a Senator from Florida deciding what's best for Arizona or Nevada.  If DST is to be done away with (I'm in AZ so, as you can imagine, I'm fine with that), what's wrong with using Standard Time?  It's called "Standard" for a reason, no?  Year-round "Daylight Savings Time" doesn't just sound stupid, it actually is stupid.

As for your example about airliners and Air Traffic Control, I'm pretty sure they use GMT, or "Zulu" for their time standard, so it's the same time everywhere (My Dad was a Private Pilot).  Local time is the concern of the airports, not the airplanes.

I think the point is as long as it is consistent is what matters.

As for Air Traffic Control, I was thinking more about additional technology that is being added. They use GMT as a standard, but if some controller or pilot, for example, is lax and glances at their phone while skirting a state with DST and then entering one without it, and not punching in something correctly, it could have disastrous consequences.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2018, 03:49:44 pm »
I think the point is as long as it is consistent is what matters.

As for Air Traffic Control, I was thinking more about additional technology that is being added. They use GMT as a standard, but if some controller or pilot, for example, is lax and glances at their phone while skirting a state with DST and then entering one without it, and not punching in something correctly, it could have disastrous consequences.

I see your point.  I pray every time I see a plane in the air the pilots aren't that sloppy, and stick to their reliable instruments and Nav radio.  Same for the Air Traffic Controllers.  Now, there's a high pressure job I don't want!
I will NOT comply.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2018, 04:33:45 pm »
Not sure if anyone mentioned this factor, but it’s the biggest pita to set all my appliances, wall clocks and wrist watches back and forth throughout the year, not to mention all the times I’ve been late or early for appointments!  9999hair out0000

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2018, 04:52:04 pm »
Not sure if anyone mentioned this factor, but it’s the biggest pita to set all my appliances, wall clocks and wrist watches back and forth throughout the year, not to mention all the times I’ve been late or early for appointments!  9999hair out0000

And of course it horribly disruptive if you have kids or work in a school ;(.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2018, 05:10:07 pm »

Meanwhile, I have clocks that automatically change their own time twice a year, and it bugs the heck out of me.  All the cable network shows are an hour earlier than they were two weeks ago, but I don't mind that so much.  When baseball starts next week I won't be watching much of those anyway.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2018, 05:11:33 pm »
And of course it horribly disruptive if you have kids or work in a school ;(.

Just be sure and keep fresh batteries in their flashlights if they have to walk to school, if Rubio has his way....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Lando Lincoln

« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2018, 05:14:31 pm »
It would suck if you're a night worker but I propose spring forward at 2:00pm and jump back at 2:00am.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2018, 05:36:34 pm »
It would suck if you're a night worker but I propose spring forward at 2:00pm and jump back at 2:00am.

I'm reminded of some third world country that decided to change from driving on the left side of the road to driving on the right (I guess it was to conform to neighboring countries?).  The decided it was a good idea to do it in the middle of afternoon rush hour, rather the middle of the night, to make sure everybody noticed and didn't traipse off in the early morning hours driving on the wrong side of the road.  I understand it worked.

I Googled to see where it happened, and everywhere I looked it was done at 6AM.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2018, 05:47:48 pm »
As an employer I loved the fall time change when it was about the only time I could expect people to be early or at least on time, we won't discuss spring forward.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2018, 12:28:32 am »
thackney wrote:
"In a related history, did you know railroads created the first time zones, to handle every town defining 12 noon as when the sun was at its zenith."

Of course I do.
That's where the phrase "standard time" came from !

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2018, 01:01:54 am »
thackney wrote:
"In a related history, did you know railroads created the first time zones, to handle every town defining 12 noon as when the sun was at its zenith."

Of course I do.
That's where the phrase "standard time" came from !

Back then, there was a different time zone for each town.  It was "good enough" until trains were reliable enough to set time tables.  It's gone down hill from there....
I will NOT comply.