Author Topic: Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent  (Read 3371 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: Rubio Introduces Bills to Make Daylight Saving Time Permanent
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2018, 07:32:07 pm »
If it weren't for DST, in my neck of the woods, it would start getting light at 3:30am-4:00am in May, June and July.  Not exactly optimum.

It is if you're an angler.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 07:32:32 pm by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2018, 07:44:53 pm »
Would you be kind enough to explain to me how didling with our clocks has changed any of that?

That's easy: thanks to DST, I can get some friggin' sleep in the summer between 3:30am and 5:30am!!
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2018, 07:53:00 pm »
That's easy: thanks to DST, I can get some friggin' sleep in the summer between 3:30am and 5:30am!!

TBR: Sleeping in rooms with even a little light can increase risk of depression: Study
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 07:55:21 pm »
That's why we have curtains.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2018, 08:19:44 pm »
Whether DST makes sense depends entirely on where you live. The further East (or West) you are in a time zone, and the further away from the Equator, the more dramatic the effect.

If it weren't for DST, in my neck of the woods, it would start getting light at 3:30am-4:00am in May, June and July.  Not exactly optimum.

And with DST, the sun goes down in Phoenix at 10 PM.  Not optimum either.  I think Rubio should go pound sand, and let the states decide what's best for their piece of sod.  Too many idiots in DeeCee think one size fits all.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:20:04 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2018, 08:47:56 pm »
And with DST, the sun goes down in Phoenix at 10 PM.  Not optimum either.  I think Rubio should go pound sand, and let the states decide what's best for their piece of sod.  Too many idiots in DeeCee think one size fits all.

I think we should just learn to live with the days nature provides us since no amount of screwing around with clocks is going to change those days.

Much like trying to turn females into males.  Or vice versa.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 08:53:11 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2018, 10:28:22 pm »
Phoenix doesn't have DST, and considering how far south it is, it'd be impossible to have a sunset that late.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 10:28:50 pm by jmyrlefuller »
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2018, 10:35:06 pm »
Phoenix doesn't have DST, and considering how far south it is, it'd be impossible to have a sunset that late.

Sunset no, astronomical twilight, yes.  Either way it's inappropriate to have DST here.  This is why states need to decide it, and not have Marco Rubio calling the shots for us in DeeCee, no?  What he's pulling is a dick move.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2018, 10:40:22 pm »
Sunset no, astronomical twilight, yes.  Either way it's inappropriate to have DST here.  This is why states need to decide it, and not have Marco Rubio calling the shots for us in DeeCee, no?  What he's pulling is a dick move.

I don't think his bill denies states the rights to do DST if they like.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2018, 10:56:55 pm »
Technically this falls under Article 1, Section 8, clause 5, directing Congress to set uniform standards for weights and measures; so he isn't out of bounds.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2018, 10:59:15 pm »
I don't think his bill denies states the rights to do DST if they like.

I don't want to find out.  Why is he doing this, anyway?  Where's the pressing need this idea addresses?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2018, 11:00:14 pm »
Technically this falls under Article 1, Section 8, clause 5, directing Congress to set uniform standards for weights and measures; so he isn't out of bounds.

If you define "bounds" by what he can get away with, probably correct.  I still want to know what pressing need does this address?
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2018, 11:01:06 pm »
If you define "bounds" by what he can get away with, probably correct.  I still want to know what pressing need does this address?

Cyber, I would love to see DST changes given up.  It's a royal pain and stupid.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2018, 11:07:51 pm »
They (DC IDIOTS) keep screwing with it, moving the dates and all.

End it already...why do I need artificial interference in time keeping?

Things were fine and people somehow found a way to manage up until about 100 years ago.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 11:12:24 pm by SZonian »
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2018, 11:12:14 pm »

I agree completely.

By the way, if we didn't have DST in Manchester, NH, the sun would set in June at only 7:30pm (and rise at 4:05am), neither of which is all that great. On the flip side, in early January the sun wouldn't rise until 8:15am or so, which isn't really awful unless you're a school kid waiting for the bus... but consider the folks in Michigan, for whom it wouldn't come up until 9:00am, and 15 minutes later in Ann Arbor.

Best to let each state make its own rules and coordinate with its neighboring states on the solutions.   
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline libertybele

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2018, 03:21:55 am »
I don't want to find out.  Why is he doing this, anyway?  Where's the pressing need this idea addresses?

Great question.  Who knows.  Let's see ... Marco's claim to fame will be DST and the Gang of Eight!  Now, that's presidential material for ya!   :silly:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline thackney

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2018, 03:26:44 am »
Better yet, make standard time permanent. (And maybe you could start on things like balancing the budget Marco?!?!).

No.  I hate getting home in the dark after work.

Do you know what time the sun rises in the morning during the summer on standard time?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2018, 03:44:41 am »
Great question.  Who knows.  Let's see ... Marco's claim to fame will be DST and the Gang of Eight!  Now, that's presidential material for ya!   :silly:

And his irresistible thirst for a drink of water...  :laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2018, 04:07:52 am »
No.  I hate getting home in the dark after work.

Do you know what time the sun rises in the morning during the summer on standard time?

Right around dawn?
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2018, 04:39:23 am »
Right around dawn?

I wonder how people survived all those many years before the advent of DST? The world is full of mysteries!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:11:15 am by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline WilliamVA

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2018, 05:08:53 am »
I'm inclined to think that most of the world hasn't heard of, or have any use for DST. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2018, 03:05:18 pm »
I'm inclined to think that most of the world hasn't heard of, or have any use for DST.

I think that is true, IIRC the notion started with Ben Franklin.  I have coworkers around the world and  none of them observe it, which works well for me because I'm in AZ and we don't either.

Russia does it, I think.  They had the situation where it was decreed annually by Stalin, and he croaked during the period of DST so they were stuck on it year-round for several decades.  China considered it, but their entire country is in one time zone so a reasonable time in Beijing was off-the-wall in the Western Provinces so they just decided to maintain the same level of inconvenience year-round. 
I will NOT comply.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2018, 03:06:46 pm »

I haven't yet visited EVERY part of this world but I have seen enough of it to confirm that you are absolutely right!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline thackney

« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2018, 03:32:53 pm »
Most of Europe, N. America and some other area use Daylight savings time except for some pockets.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst/2018.html
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2018, 07:28:49 pm »

Good cast. Dumb show.

So true.

One of the reviews said: "the theme song was a big hit with the school kids because we changed it as a joke on our friends. We'd sing: It's about time It's about space It's about time To slap your face!" 

LOL we did the same thing!
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."