Author Topic: Oregon Lefties Flip Out After Law is Stricken That Bans Self-Service Gas Stations  (Read 5537 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I disagree with the premise of the article—that somehow, if gas stations could cut their wages, they could compete with self-service effectively.

When the norm is for the driver to pump their own gas, for free (and even get a discount on their gas for doing so), unless you have slave labor, there's no competing with that. A lot of gas pumpers are going to soon be out of work, and let's face it, pumping gas is not a marketable skill that will look good on any of their resumes.

They've just created a whole class of welfare recipients.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

I disagree with the premise of the article—that somehow, if gas stations could cut their wages, they could compete with self-service effectively.

When the norm is for the driver to pump their own gas, for free (and even get a discount on their gas for doing so), unless you have slave labor, there's no competing with that. A lot of gas pumpers are going to soon be out of work, and let's face it, pumping gas is not a marketable skill that will look good on any of their resumes.

They've just created a whole class of welfare recipients.

Economics is not a zero-sum game. 

Offline RoosGirl

Some of the comments here.... holy cow.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Can’t stand paying extra to have some monkey put gas in my car.  Dislike getting my credit card or change back greasy and smelly when I have to fill up on the NJ Turnpike.

My local gas stations (BP, WaWa, and Sunoco) we’re at  $2.26 a gallon cash regular unleaded this weekend. :)

Not to shabby. ⛽️

You and the family need to visit me!!! @Oceander
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 11:09:34 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline RoosGirl

My local gas stations (BP, WaWa, and Sunoco) we’re at  $2.26 a gallon cash regular unleaded this weekend. :)

Not to shabby. ⛽️

You and the family need to visit me!!! @Oceander

@Oceander is much too grouchy to have a family.  Oh wait.... nevermind.  That explains a lot.... for me.   :laugh:

Offline Suppressed

I wonder whether anyone here will get this...

:silly:

"And you thought dysentery was bad!"
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Oregon Trail.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod

Offline Suppressed

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

Offline Suppressed

Oregon Public-Service Announcement, 1963
[Warning: Language]

http://i.imgur.com/AJtR1Vu.mp4
+++++++++

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Nearly every station is self-service.

Same here in Pennsy.   Of course, what I do is cross the river to Jersey, which is the only state (apparently, except Oregon) that bans self-service. Of course the real reason I cross the river is that gas is consistently about 15 - 20 cents per gallon less in Jersey.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• Cat Mod
Same here in Pennsy.   Of course, what I do is cross the river to Jersey, which is the only state (apparently, except Oregon) that bans self-service. Of course the real reason I cross the river is that gas is consistently about 15 - 20 cents per gallon less in Jersey.   

Do you go over the Trenton Makes bridge? :)

Just kidding, @Jazzhead ,   I'm in a silly mood. There use to be some great restaurants in Trenton, Ewing, Lawrenceville....but now I can't think of any, really. Use to go to Thunder games with dad.

Offline thackney

State gasoline taxes:
New Jersey 37.10¢/gal
Pennsylvania 59.30¢/gal

http://cdn.api.org/pdf/state-taxes/newjersey.pdf
http://cdn.api.org/pdf/state-taxes/pennsylvania.pdf
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

I live in NJ and unless I’ve gone to a different state I’ve never pumped my own gas. I like it, and it gives jobs to people to pump.

Besides, I always tip a dollar to the guy for filling my car.
When I worked in New York I recall one could not find any self-service stations in NJ; in fact, I had thought I had read they were required to be full service.

The amazing thing is it was cheaper per gallon than New York as well.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Oceander

When I worked in New York I recall one could not find any self-service stations in NJ; in fact, I had thought I had read they were required to be full service.

The amazing thing is it was cheaper per gallon than New York as well.

I believe it’s illegal to pump your own gas in NJ. The lower cost viz. NY most likely has to do with state taxes and the proximity of refineries in NJ.

Offline Cripplecreek

• Constitutional Extremist
Its been one of the funniest things on twitter in te past week.

Live feed from Oregon as the law comes into effect.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I believe it’s illegal to pump your own gas in NJ. The lower cost viz. NY most likely has to do with state taxes and the proximity of refineries in NJ.

Yep.  Taxes 1st. followed by, how close you are to the spigot. 
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline andy58-in-nh

I live in New Hampshire. All of our gas stations are self-service. We even have self-service dairy farms...

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn