Author Topic: Pastor says Roy Moore was seeking the 'purity of a young woman'  (Read 32947 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
What the hell does that even mean?

I guess you were too 'distracted' at all those music recitals to recognize the song lyrics.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision

I guess you were too 'distracted' at all those music recitals to recognize the song lyrics.
That'll be enough.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=logout
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline musiclady

What the hell does that even mean?

A frog went a-courtin' and he did ride, M-hm, M-hm.
A frog went a-courtin' and he did ride,
Sword and pistol by his side, M-hm, M-hm

16th Century English folk song.  ^-^
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:02:18 pm by musiclady »
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
If you called their mothers for permission to date them after chatting them up and checking them out - then yes - you were.
Pervs don't ask momma (or daddy) for permission to take their daughter out.  *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:08:43 pm by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

Pervs don't ask momma (or daddy) for permission to take their daughter out.  *****rollingeyes*****

Are you sure?

Muhammad had parental permission to marry A’isha.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:33:41 pm by edpc »

Offline Smokin Joe

Are you sure?

Muhammad had parental permission to marry A’isha.
And which of the former Confederate States did that happen in?  *****rollingeyes*****

If that's all you have, you don't have much. Dig around, maybe there's a credit card slip or a vintage rubber wrapper somewhere...

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

And which of the former Confederate States did that happen in?

If that’s your criteria, where did Jerry Lee Lewis marry his 13 year old cousin who still believed in Santa Claus?

Offline The_Reader_David

The pastor's remark somehow brought to mind the comment from Fr. Alexander Elchaninov's Diary of a Russian Priest concerning the appropriate states of life for Christians:

"There is the monastic life and the state of marriage. The third condition, that of virginity in the world, is extremely dangerous, fraught with temptation, and beyond the strength of most people. Moreover, those who adhere to this condition are also a danger to the persons around them: the aura and beauty of virginity, which, when deprived of direct religious significance, are in sense 'nuptial feathers', exercise powerful attraction and awaken unedifying emotions."

Moore's pastor has more knowledge of the man in question, but I think Fr. Alexander has more spiritual insight.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline musiclady

The pastor's remark somehow brought to mind the comment from Fr. Alexander Elchaninov's Diary of a Russian Priest concerning the appropriate states of life for Christians:

"There is the monastic life and the state of marriage. The third condition, that of virginity in the world, is extremely dangerous, fraught with temptation, and beyond the strength of most people. Moreover, those who adhere to this condition are also a danger to the persons around them: the aura and beauty of virginity, which, when deprived of direct religious significance, are in sense 'nuptial feathers', exercise powerful attraction and awaken unedifying emotions."

Moore's pastor has more knowledge of the man in question, but I think Fr. Alexander has more spiritual insight.

Whenever I see you are posting @The_Reader_David , I know it will be something thoughtful and insightful.

I wish you would post more!

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline Smokin Joe

If that’s your criteria, where did Jerry Lee Lewis marry his 13 year old cousin who still believed in Santa Claus?
You're the one who brought up marrying 7 year-olds, not me.

I wasn't in the loop on Jerry Lee's marriage, and I think that's a mite too young, frankly, even in the rural South of 1957.  So did the rest of the world, because when the british tabloids broke the story, he went from $10,000 a night concerts to playing bars for $100 a night.
First cousin once removed is a generation down the line from the first cousin. There's a little more genetic room there than mother's sister's daughter, because it would be more like mother's sister's daughter's daughter. If you can follow that. Anyway, Jerry Lee Lewis isn't one I would necessarily hold up as a paragon of marital skill, considering that was only one of seven marriages he went through.

Anyhow, in Her (Myra's) words, later, as an indisputably grown woman, she had this to say:

In my little mind, I couldn’t believe that they could not see that I was a grown woman. I was only 13, but people said I was more mature than Jerry. I was serious-minded, I was like, “We gotta take care of this and do this,” and he was like, “Where’s the piano?” That’s what he is, that’s what he’s about. And I really, truly wasn’t a typical teenager. My generation was taught to hide under our desk when the bomb came, so you always had in the back of your mind that any minute, any day, life could come to an end. What I wanted was a baby in my arms, a home, a husband, a kitchen to cook in, a yard to raise roses. My little brother was born because I begged my parents for a baby at ten years old. They called me his deputy mom; I just took him over. That was what I was like, and Jerry was busy having fun, he was the true entertainer.

]It wasn’t anybody’s business—OK, it was somebody’s business, but it wasn’t everybody’s business. It was my family’s business, it was mine and Jerry’s business. And, OK, if you say to me now, “There’s a 13-year-old girl over here who wants to get married,” I would say “God, please do not do that, little girl. Go to college, get an education, then figure it out.” But it was a different world, things have changed so drastically. Options, mindsets—this world has gone so fast the last fifty years that you can’t keep up with it.

There is a lot more at the link if you are inclined to read her take on the whole thing.:https://medium.com/cuepoint/ballad-of-the-13-year-old-bride-f909cbe1c6b4

The world has indeed changed, but people want to judge yesterday and another place by their fresh minted ruler.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 03:56:17 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

You're the one who brought up marrying 7 year-olds, not me.

Yes, in response to your previous less than sharp observation that perverts don’t seek parental approval.  I’ve given you a couple of very well known instances where it’s occurred.

As for Myra saying it wasn’t everybody’s business, then perhaps her husband shouldn’t have announced the marriage to the press while kicking off a tour in England as one of the world’s biggest musical stars, at the time.

Nobody barged into their affairs.  They made it known and didn’t like when the inevitable backlash happened.  I’m just glad in that ‘different’ time it was met with outrage instead of the ‘oh well’ attitude people are taking with Moore for political convenience.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Yes, in response to your previous less than sharp observation that perverts don’t seek parental approval.  I’ve given you a couple of very well known instances where it’s occurred.

As for Myra saying it wasn’t everybody’s business, then perhaps her husband shouldn’t have announced the marriage to the press while kicking off a tour in England as one of the world’s biggest musical stars, at the time.

Nobody barged into their affairs.  They made it known and didn’t like when the inevitable backlash happened.  I’m just glad in that ‘different’ time it was met with outrage instead of the ‘oh well’ attitude people are taking with Moore for political convenience.

@edpc

I have had the distinct pleasure of walking out on a Jerry Lee Lewis concert, along with nearly everyone else in the place that day, and not about to defend his marrying a 13 year old girl but you equating that, even remotely,  with anything in Roy Moore's life is so far beyond the pale as to defy description!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 04:30:43 am by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

@edpc

I have had the distinct pleasure of walking out on a Jerry Lee Lewis concert, along with nearly everyone else in the place that day, and not about to defend his marrying a 13 year old girl but you equating that, even remotely,  with anything in Roy Moore's life is so far beyond the pale as to defy description!

So the JLL marriage to a teenager was creepy, but legal and you had a problem with it.  However, you have no issues with the equally creepy, but legal dating of teens by Moore.....

Got it.

Offline Smokin Joe

Oh, he didn't bring it up, and if you'd read the article at the link I gave you, you'd know she was the one who let the cat out of the bag. She didn't see anything wrong with it.

Now, like I said, that's too young imho, was then still is today. But as long as we're getting off topic with irrelevancies, let me provide another link you won't bother to click on:https://www.christianpost.com/news/france-age-of-sexual-consent-official-suggests-13-protests-206700/

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
So the JLL marriage to a teenager was creepy, but legal and you had a problem with it.  However, you have no issues with the equally creepy, but legal dating of teens by Moore.....

Got it.

NO! You don't Got it!  And likely never will get it!

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline edpc

NO! You don't Got it!  And likely never will get it!

Allow me to send you a keyboard for Christmas.  I have a feeling the SHIFT and 1 on yours are nubs.  You know what you can do with the old one......

Offline Smokin Joe

Got it.
Despite enjoying these little sidebars, what is the purpose of taking the thread off topic over Jerry Lee Lewis, anyway, unless you are just trying to call people child molesters or put words in their mouth saying they approve of something they don't? That would be lowlife horseshit, though, and I don't think you would do that, so I feel compelled to ask.

I guess you don't like the comments his 'child bride' made about those being different times, just as the 1970s were different from today..

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

Despite enjoying these little sidebars, what is the purpose of taking the thread off topic over Jerry Lee Lewis....

Since you have the memory of a mayfly, let me offer a reminder that the question about ‘which of the former Confederate States did that happen in’ was raised by you.  You got your example.

The other post was in response to someone else, where both of us came back to the main subject of Moore in the comparative fashion, with differing views.

Try to keep up.  I can’t spend all of my time teaching your remedial classes of current events and reading comprehension.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 05:22:40 am by edpc »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Allow me to send you a keyboard for Christmas.  I have a feeling the SHIFT and 1 on yours are nubs.  You know what you can do with the old one......

Don't bother!  The one I have is just fine for dealing with people like you who insist on following the hostile press around like the lemmings they are!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Smokin Joe

Since you have the memory of a mayfly, let me offer a reminder that the question about ‘which of the former Confederate States did that happen in’ was raised by you.  You got your example.

The other post was in response to someone else, where both of us came back to the main subject of Moore in the comparative fashion, with differing views.

Try to keep up.  I can’t spend all of my time teaching your remedial classes of current events and reading comprehension.
If you think Muhammed's marriage was a "current event" or happened in the US, you may be the one who needs to catch up. Have a nice day.

C S Lewis

Offline edpc

If you think Muhammed's marriage was a "current event" or happened in the US, you may be the one who needs to catch up.

The post about it to you that can be found by simply scrolling up this page is the current event to which I was referring.  I’d say I think you knew that and your weak retort is a sad effort to save face, but you’ve demonstrated drawing contextual inference is a task for you. 

My day will be just fine.  Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:38:43 am by edpc »

Offline The_Reader_David

Whenever I see you are posting @The_Reader_David , I know it will be something thoughtful and insightful.

I wish you would post more!

Were I to post more, it would probably dilute the quality of my posts.  I try to only post when (at least in my own opinion) I have something thoughtful and insightful to post, though sometimes I slip and post a cheap shot or obvious gag that's too obvious to pass up.
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I thought @The_Reader_David  , often posts when a point can be cleared up or made about the Orthodox Christian religion.

Offline musiclady

Were I to post more, it would probably dilute the quality of my posts.  I try to only post when (at least in my own opinion) I have something thoughtful and insightful to post, though sometimes I slip and post a cheap shot or obvious gag that's too obvious to pass up.

Good point.

Those of us who post more, most likely post less.  :patriot: