Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209252 times)

Online libertybele

Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1300 on: August 21, 2017, 12:44:12 am »
R.I.P. Mr. Lewis and thanks for all the laughs and your generosity and devotion in both time and talent to the MDA. 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #1301 on: August 21, 2017, 12:52:24 am »
Lewis could be an azzhole but his closest friends believe it was an act because he was SO good at being it. It wasn't small that many people wouldn't recognize it. It wasn't large so that people knew it was a gimmick. It was just the right size to make people believe it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 12:52:44 am by Restored »
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #1302 on: August 21, 2017, 01:15:45 am »
R.I.P. Mr. Lewis and thanks for all the laughs and your generosity and devotion in both time and talent to the MDA.
^^^^ This!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1303 on: August 21, 2017, 10:20:43 am »

@libertybele

I guess I am the only one here that always considered him to be whiny,irritating,male bitch? His voice was like fingernails on a blackboard to me.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1304 on: August 21, 2017, 10:52:14 am »
@libertybele

I guess I am the only one here that always considered him to be whiny,irritating,male bitch? His voice was like fingernails on a blackboard to me.

Wasn't a huge fan myself, but I respected him for his work for the MDA.  Just too bad political correctness ultimately destroyed his efforts for that organization. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1305 on: August 21, 2017, 01:49:36 pm »
Wasn't a huge fan myself, but I respected him for his work for the MDA.  Just too bad political correctness ultimately destroyed his efforts for that organization.

@Applewood

I admit to not watching those telathons since becoming old enough to escape the house when they were on,but how and why did they become PC?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1306 on: August 21, 2017, 02:12:09 pm »
@Applewood

I admit to not watching those telathons since becoming old enough to escape the house when they were on,but how and why did they become PC?

I didn't like them either, but I can think of about 2.5 Billion reasons why they were important.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/21/jerry-lewis-telethons-raised-billions-for-muscular-dystrophy-many-cheered-when-he-went-off-the-air/
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1307 on: August 21, 2017, 02:15:58 pm »
@Applewood

@sneakypete
The telethons didn't really become PC (they had as many critics as admirers, with the critics thinking Lewis merely
exploited those for whom he raised those billions and barely understood the people for whom he was doing it and
his admirers reminding critics that if not him, who?), but some remarks Lewis made ticked off the MDA enough to
maneuver him away from the telethon a few years ago, though the organisation didn't distance themselves from
him entirely.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1308 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:31 pm »
@sneakypete
The telethons didn't really become PC (they had as many critics as admirers, with the critics thinking Lewis merely
exploited those for whom he raised those billions and barely understood the people for whom he was doing it and
his admirers reminding critics that if not him, who?), but some remarks Lewis made ticked off the MDA enough to
maneuver him away from the telethon a few years ago, though the organisation didn't distance themselves from
him entirely.

@EasyAce

Thanks,but let's face it,Lewis was a geezer a long time before a few years ago,and chances are he didn't really realize what he was saying. He had been dealing with the public and PR for so many decades you know he knew better on his good days.  You can dismiss what old people say if you just don't agree with them as well as "diss" them,but you pretty much have to cut senile people a little slack. We are all going to get "there" if we live long enough.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1309 on: August 21, 2017, 04:26:06 pm »
@EasyAce

Thanks,but let's face it,Lewis was a geezer a long time before a few years ago,and chances are he didn't really realize what he was saying. He had been dealing with the public and PR for so many decades you know he knew better on his good days.  You can dismiss what old people say if you just don't agree with them as well as "diss" them,but you pretty much have to cut senile people a little slack. We are all going to get "there" if we live long enough.
Part of that is the whole assemblage of moving target social expectations placed on people. My grandfather would have been killed today for some of the common references of his day, and those were not derogatory, only descriptive. When culture decides that what was okay yesterday is a hanging offense tomorrow, it gets tough to keep up, even for a relative youngster.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1310 on: August 21, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »
@EasyAce

I suspect a lot of it was that, by somewhere as the 60s turned to the 70s Lewis had been passed by
in terms of comedy, with many of the passers having been influenced directly by his old improvisational
style, in hand with an apparent stubborn inability to move his comedy forward in places other than
the annual telethons.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1311 on: August 21, 2017, 06:20:54 pm »
Part of that is the whole assemblage of moving target social expectations placed on people. My grandfather would have been killed today for some of the common references of his day, and those were not derogatory, only descriptive. When culture decides that what was okay yesterday is a hanging offense tomorrow, it gets tough to keep up, even for a relative youngster.
@Smokin Joe

True. I hadn't even thought about that.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1312 on: August 21, 2017, 06:53:48 pm »
Science fiction author Brian Aldiss dies aged 92

Brian Aldiss, the “grand old man” of science fiction whose writing has shaped the genre since he was first published in the 1950s, has died at the age of 92.

Aldiss’s agent, Curtis Brown, and his son, Tim Aldiss, have announced that the author, artist, poet and memoirist died at home in Oxford in the early hours of 19 August. “Brian had celebrated his birthday with close friends and family and spoken to many close to him,” wrote Tim on Twitter as he announced the death of “our beloved father and grandfather”.

Aldiss was the author of science fiction classics including Non-Stop, Hothouse and Greybeard, as well as the Helliconia trilogy, which his agent said bridged “the gap between classic science fiction and contemporary literature”. His numerous short stories include Super-Toys Last All Summer Long, which was adapted into the Steven Spielberg film AI ...

More

Wikipedia

Online goatprairie

« Reply #1313 on: August 21, 2017, 09:42:35 pm »
@EasyAce

In the not too distant future, if certain people have their way, it will be against the law to make fun of anybody who is not a white, Christian male.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #1314 on: August 21, 2017, 10:43:27 pm »
In the not too distant future, if certain people have their way, it will be against the law to make fun of anybody who is not a white, Christian male.

@goatprairie

Huh? I thought that was already a federal law?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1315 on: August 21, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »

Naw, blonds are fair game too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1316 on: August 21, 2017, 11:46:35 pm »
Naw, blonds are fair game too.

Swell.  I'm male, white, straight AND blond.  :nometalk:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1317 on: August 21, 2017, 11:52:41 pm »
Swell.  I'm male, white, straight AND blond.  :nometalk:

You're blonde.  Blond is feminine.   Or, something.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1318 on: August 22, 2017, 12:04:45 am »
You're blonde.  Blond is feminine.   Or, something.

Double swell.  Do you remember what Clint Eastwood was called in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?"  "Blondie."
I will NOT comply.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #1319 on: August 22, 2017, 12:08:15 am »
Double swell.  Do you remember what Clint Eastwood was called in "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly?"  "Blondie."

I never saw that movie.  I'm familiar with it, just never actually watched it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:08:42 am by Sanguine »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1320 on: August 22, 2017, 12:26:11 am »
I have no future, either, @Cyber Liberty.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Wingnut

« Reply #1321 on: August 22, 2017, 12:46:32 am »
I was going to go back and quote a few posts made before this.
But I didn't want to waste my time.... and your time and energy.  That being said, I did want to say this on the subject. Only my hairdresser knows for sure.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2017, 12:47:09 am by Wingnut »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1322 on: August 22, 2017, 12:47:39 am »
I have no future, either, @Cyber Liberty.
All you need is a red shirt...

C S Lewis

Wingnut

« Reply #1323 on: August 22, 2017, 12:48:55 am »
All you need is a red shirt...

He has a red S.  The shirt does not matter.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #1324 on: August 22, 2017, 01:06:00 am »
He has a red S.  The shirt does not matter.
I ain't touching that.  **nononono*

C S Lewis