Author Topic: Obituaries for 2017  (Read 209619 times)

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Obituaries for 2017
« Reply #1275 on: August 19, 2017, 08:09:30 pm »
@Cyber Liberty
It wasn't really between Rayburn and Dawson . . . it was between Dawson and The Match Game's production
staff, after Mark Goodson (who produced The Match Game, then still with his longtime partner Bill Todman)
tapped Dawson to host the newly-created Family Feud in 1976, and that show became a runaway hit. The problem:
Dawson was also under contract as a Match Game panelist for both its daytime and nighttime versions, and
he was feeling burned out enough to ask to be let out of his Match Game contract. When his request was
refused, Dawson rebelled by becoming sullen on set, refusing to flirt or joke with the show's contestants, and
refusing to speak to the show's co-panelists, until his Match Game contract expired in 1978. Gene Rayburn
may have been dismayed by Dawson's act, but Dawson's real feud, if you will, was with the show's production
staff and with Goodson-Todman, though Family Feud's success didn't exactly mean Dawson and Goodson
would be mortal enemies, either.

The Goodson-Todman partnership ended only when Bill Todman succumbed to heart disease in 1979. I once saw
a funny story about Todman from the network radio years, when Goodson-Todman first teamed up to produce
game shows on radio. Todman was carrying an armload of small appliances up into the CBS building in New
York, to be prizes on a couple of the early Goodson-Todman radio games, when he stumbled on one step and the
appliances crashed to the steps below. CBS's Goodman Ace---a legend of radio comedy as a writer (and, on his
own Easy Aces, co-performer with wife Jane), then running a CBS workshop for comedy writing (Neil Simon
was one of his students), and eventually to become Perry Como's head writer on television (he once cracked it
was difficult to put any humour into "We now take you to exotic Brazil")---happened to see the accident and
hollered out, "Hey, Todman, you dropped your script!"

Interesting insight.  From the bios I read, Rayburn was a bit sullen himself.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1276 on: August 19, 2017, 08:20:20 pm »
Interesting insight.  From the bios I read, Rayburn was a bit sullen himself.
He had his moments, but I don't remember him ever going as far as Richard Dawson did. Most
of my knowledge of Gene Rayburn is that, when he wasn't under any kind of professional
pressure, he was a very nice man who enjoyed when fans recognised him and did impressions
of his classic facial gestures.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1277 on: August 19, 2017, 08:31:23 pm »
He had his moments, but I don't remember him ever going as far as Richard Dawson did. Most
of my knowledge of Gene Rayburn is that, when he wasn't under any kind of professional
pressure, he was a very nice man who enjoyed when fans recognised him and did impressions
of his classic facial gestures.

There was a difference.  From what you described, Dawson was doing it to effect some change in the behavior of others.  I was never a fan of emotional manipulation.  I suspected, from what I read about Rayburn, he was just a "loner" type of person, not much unlike myself.

As an aside, if Dawson really was handling three separate game shows, he probably WAS suffering burn-out.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #1278 on: August 20, 2017, 01:12:43 am »
Well, this conversation is going in odd places. Just to be clear: Rayburn died back in 1999.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #1279 on: August 20, 2017, 01:27:43 am »
Well, this conversation is going in odd places. Just to be clear: Rayburn died back in 1999.

Richard Dawson died in 2012.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1280 on: August 20, 2017, 01:41:09 am »
I die every night.  Fred.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #1281 on: August 20, 2017, 02:27:48 pm »
Dick Gregory, 84, Dies; Found Humor in the Civil Rights Struggle

Dick Gregory, the pioneering black satirist who transformed cool humor into a barbed force for civil rights in the 1960s, then veered from his craft for a life devoted to protest and fasting in the name of assorted social causes, health regimens and conspiracy theories, died Saturday in Washington. He was 84.

Mr. Gregory’s son, Christian Gregory, who announced his death on social media, said more details would be released in the coming days. Mr. Gregory had been admitted to a hospital on Aug. 12, his son said in an earlier Facebook post.

More

Wikipedia

Offline Applewood

« Reply #1282 on: August 20, 2017, 03:00:13 pm »
I remember when Gregory was a stand-up comedian and he was quite good.  Then he went all militant and wasn't so funny anymore.  Gregory became a major PITA.   He hated white people, many of whom helped him become successful as a comedian.

Oh well.  That's the past and no use dwelling on it.  Rest in peace, Mr. Gregory.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1283 on: August 20, 2017, 03:20:17 pm »
He also saved the lives of people who were extremely obese.  There's that.
I will NOT comply.

Wingnut

« Reply #1284 on: August 20, 2017, 03:52:03 pm »
When I die, I'm leaving my body to science fiction.

I die every night.  Fred.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1285 on: August 20, 2017, 06:08:31 pm »
Jerry Lewis, Nonpareil Genius of Comedy, Dies at 91

10:43 AM PDT 8/20/2017 by Duane Byrge , Mike Barnes

He dominated show business with Dean Martin in the 1950s, starred in 'The Bellboy' and 'The Nutty Professor,' hosted the Labor Day telethon for decades and received the Hersholt award.

Jerry Lewis, whose irrepressible zaniness and frantic creativity vaulted him to stardom as a comic movie star who wielded unparalleled green-light power at Paramount in the 1960s, died Sunday. He was 91.

Lewis, who teamed with Dean Martin in the 1950s as one of the most successful tandems in the history of show business, died at 9:15 a.m. at his home in Las Vegas, John Katsilometes of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported, citing a statement from Lewis' family.

more
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jerry-lewis-dead-nutty-professor-bellboy-star-was-91-721408
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #1286 on: August 20, 2017, 06:08:59 pm »
Thanks for all the laughs Jerry...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #1287 on: August 20, 2017, 06:19:10 pm »
Jerry Lewis was a great comedian, God Bless and Rest In Peace.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #1288 on: August 20, 2017, 06:23:50 pm »

Jerry Lewis, the brash slapstick comic who teamed with Dean Martin in the 1950s and later starred in “The Nutty Professor” and “The Bellboy” before launching the Muscular Dystrophy telethon, has died in Las Vegas. He was 91.

The Las Vegas Review-Journal columnist John Katsilometes reported that he died at his home at 9:15 a.m. and his agent confirmed the news.

Over the past 10 years of his life, the cranky icon’s reputation soured as he was forced to apologize for making a gay slur on camera during the 2007 telethon, continued to make racist and misogynistic jokes into his ’90s, and didn’t hesitate to share his right-wing political views.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/jerry-lewis-dies-dead-nutty-professor-1202533899/
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:24:56 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Oceander

« Reply #1289 on: August 20, 2017, 06:27:32 pm »
Godspeed

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #1290 on: August 20, 2017, 06:29:45 pm »

He dominated show business with Dean Martin in the 1950s, starred in 'The Bellboy' and 'The Nutty Professor,' hosted the Labor Day telethon for decades and received the Hersholt award.

Jerry Lewis, whose irrepressible zaniness and frantic creativity vaulted him to stardom as a comic movie star who wielded unparalleled green-light power at Paramount in the 1960s, died Sunday. He was 91.

Lewis, who teamed with Dean Martin in the 1950s as one of the most successful tandems in the history of show business, died at 9:15 a.m. at his home in Las Vegas, John Katsilometes of the Las Vegas Review-Journal reported, citing a statement from Lewis' family.

more
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/jerry-lewis-dead-nutty-professor-bellboy-star-was-91-721408
Thanks for the laughs Jerry.  RIP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neEe1itDC_k
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Wingnut

« Reply #1291 on: August 20, 2017, 07:07:32 pm »

more

Always wondered what the deal was with his departure from the MDA thons.
http://entertainment.time.com/2012/08/16/why-did-jerry-lewis-leave-the-telethon/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #1292 on: August 20, 2017, 07:18:10 pm »

I always thought he was funny and enjoyed his movies. RIP and thank you for the laughs.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1293 on: August 20, 2017, 07:46:39 pm »
Always wondered what the deal was with his departure from the MDA thons.
http://entertainment.time.com/2012/08/16/why-did-jerry-lewis-leave-the-telethon/

I've always suspected it had to do with an 'insensitive, anti-gay' joke he made prior to his departure.

Jerry was too old school to get with the program on what appropriately could be joked about these days and whats too sacred to mention. God bless him.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:47:08 pm by skeeter »

Offline AllThatJazzZ

• Adopt your next pet, preferably a senior.
« Reply #1294 on: August 20, 2017, 07:48:25 pm »
As a kid, I was crazy about Jerry Lewis. At some point in my adulthood, I began to understand that he had a very mean side. Still, I respect him for all he did for the MDA. May he rest in peace.

A government big enough to give you everything you want
is a government big enough to take away everything you have.

Offline endicom

« Reply #1295 on: August 20, 2017, 07:49:12 pm »
New York Times
Dave Kehr
Aug. 20, 2017

Jerry Lewis, the comedian and filmmaker who was adored by many, disdained by others, but unquestionably a defining figure of American entertainment in the 20th century, died on Sunday morning at his home in Las Vegas. He was 91.

His death was confirmed by his publicist, Candi Cazau.

Mr. Lewis knew success in movies, on television, in nightclubs, on the Broadway stage and in the university lecture hall. His career had its ups and downs, but when it was at its zenith there were few stars any bigger. And he got there remarkably quickly.

More... https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/20/movies/jerry-lewis-dead-celebrated-comedian-and-filmmaker.html?smtyp=cur

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #1296 on: August 20, 2017, 07:51:38 pm »
I always thought he was funny and enjoyed his movies. RIP and thank you for the laughs.
@Freya
He and Dean Martin weren't half bad on radio, either . . .

The Martin & Lewis Show

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #1297 on: August 20, 2017, 07:51:58 pm »
As a kid, I was crazy about Jerry Lewis. At some point in my adulthood, I began to understand that he had a very mean side. Still, I respect him for all he did for the MDA. May he rest in peace.

A few years back I stayed at the Fountainblue in Miami Beach. While there Scarface & Goldfinger never crossed my mind, all I could think about were scenes from The Bellboy.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:52:19 pm by skeeter »

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #1298 on: August 20, 2017, 08:15:33 pm »
"Disdained by others " in the opening sentance.  **nononono*  This is the 4th story I read in the last 30 min on his passing and all 4 had to include something like this in the opening. Sad way to remember such a great comedian who many of us grew up with on Saturday afternoon movies.

Yes he rubbed a lot of people the wrong way including Dean Martin but because he was such a demanding take-charge figure off camera. Be that as it may, I'm glad he was such amlarge part of my growing up.

RIP Jerry.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 08:16:09 pm by NavyCanDo »
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline endicom

« Reply #1299 on: August 20, 2017, 09:29:36 pm »
"Disdained by others " in the opening sentance.  **nononono*  This is the 4th story I read in the last 30 min on his passing and all 4 had to include something like this in the opening.

It would have been better at half the length.

RIP