Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39536 times)

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #400 on: October 25, 2016, 07:52:53 pm »
@EasyAce

I accidentally screwed up your post. I was trying to reply to it and I accidentally hit modify instead. I'm so sorry.

Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to make me a moderator after all.  **nononono*

Wingnut

« Reply #401 on: October 25, 2016, 08:18:45 pm »
@EasyAce

I accidentally screwed up your post. I was trying to reply to it and I accidentally hit modify instead. I'm so sorry.

It took him hours to compose that!  22222frying pan

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #402 on: October 25, 2016, 08:28:04 pm »

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #403 on: October 25, 2016, 08:34:53 pm »
It took him hours to compose that!  22222frying pan

I know.  8888crybaby

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #404 on: October 25, 2016, 11:00:14 pm »
@EasyAce

You are forgiven. Say three Hail Maddons. ;)

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #405 on: October 26, 2016, 01:17:10 am »
You are forgiven. Say three Hail Maddons. ;)

@EasyAce

Thank you. You're very kind.  ^-^

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
MLB: Yankee Stadium Introduces a New Way of Alienating Fans
« Reply #406 on: October 30, 2016, 02:01:13 am »
MLB: Yankee Stadium Introduces a New Way of Alienating Fans

Eric Schaal
The Cheat Sheet
October 29, 2016

You’ve heard of the $13 beers, the top-down strategy of keeping the 99% out of premium seats, and other types of alienation in play when you see the New York Yankees at home. Sadly, the disciples of Steinbrenner were just getting warmed up with those twists on the modern baseball experience. On Opening Day 2016, we noticed one of the most offensive new quirks we’ve seen in a ballpark: mini-suites covered in dark glass that block the view of fans headed through the concourse from concessions stands to their seats.

Though in place for a few seasons now, it was our first experience with the latest form of elitist excess at the Stadium — something sure to make HBO’s John Oliver and his Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cringe. We came across the obstructions walking to right-field box seats when, to our left, we noticed glass enclosures tinted dark blue standing between us and the field. The little party areas, which measure about 15 ft. by 10 ft., replace what were previously open-air spaces between the concessions stands and field-level seating. That open concourse the architects envisioned is officially closed.
More

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #407 on: December 11, 2016, 12:58:15 pm »
After the Washington Nationals failed to land Andrew McCutchen from the Pirates, they trade away THREE 'high' pitching prospects...

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/12/white-sox-trade-adam-eaton-nationals.html

...for White Sox' Adam Eaton. (I like this trade very much, despite Giolito and Lopez both being Top 10 RH prospects....no team can afford a rotation full of "Scherzer-money" contracts).

Eaton has a high "wins over" value, and figure moving Harper to CF will keep him happy and out of pinstripes...and putting Eaton in RF.

The NATS just traded Danny Espinosa to the Angels, which means Trey Turner is the SS of the future.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #408 on: December 11, 2016, 02:21:36 pm »
No one in Pittsburgh wants to lose Cutch. Even Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers lobbied for the Pirates not to trade him. Unfortunately, the Pirates under the current ownership have made a lot of bad trades in the past few years, getting rid of good players and not getting much in return. For the moment, no trade of McCutchen is in the offing. I'm wondering what they're going to do about the Korean infielder, Jung Ho Kang, who's had legal (DUI) problems in his home country and is accused of sexual assault in Chicago.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #409 on: December 11, 2016, 02:45:31 pm »

No one in Pittsburgh wants to lose Cutch. Even Ben Roethlisberger of the Steelers lobbied for the Pirates not to trade him. Unfortunately, the Pirates under the current ownership have made a lot of bad trades in the past few years, getting rid of good players and not getting much in return. For the moment, no trade of McCutchen is in the offing. I'm wondering what they're going to do about the Korean infielder, Jung Ho Kang, who's had legal (DUI) problems in his home country and is accused of sexual assault in Chicago.  **nononono*

I'm thinking....that their thinking was ..."We're sick and tired of being bridesmaids".  You shake up the organization by trading an ageing veteran on, what should be, the downside of his career.

Hadn't heard about Kang's issue(s).  'Nice' guy......   :pondering:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wingnut

« Reply #410 on: December 11, 2016, 02:54:39 pm »
  'Nice' guy......   :pondering:

Did he finish last?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #411 on: December 11, 2016, 03:30:34 pm »
Did he finish last?
He ended up with a wrecked car, that's for sure.
... According to police, Kang didn’t stop after driving a rented BMW into a guardrail at around 2:48am while returning to his hotel in southern Seoul. The crash damaged the guardrail, and the vehicle, and the debris hit a car parked nearby, whose driver reported the matter to police.

A 29-year-old man who was in Kang’s vehicle initially claimed he was behind the wheel. But police questioned Kang after the vehicle’s security camera showed him driving it.

Police said Kang’s blood alcohol level at the time of the crash would have been 0.084 percent, beyond the country’s 0.05 percent legal limit. ...
The Guardian
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #412 on: December 12, 2016, 01:13:58 pm »
Did he finish last?

The Leo Durocher school of how to win friends and influence people.

Wingnut

« Reply #413 on: December 12, 2016, 09:43:47 pm »
The Leo Durocher school of how to win friends and influence people.

I love it when people "get" it!   :beer:

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #414 on: December 12, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
Kenley Jansen signed an $80 million, five year deal with the Dodgers, his incumbent club.
Took less money to stay with the Dodgers. Strange stat: Jansen had 47 saves in 2016 and
no Dodger reliever not named Jansen had even one regular-season save. (In the
postseason, of course, one Dodger not named Jansen had a save---some guy named
Kershaw . . . )

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Polly Ticks

« Reply #415 on: January 19, 2017, 08:55:52 pm »
Hurry up, spring.  I'm dying for some baseball ...

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2017, 07:25:27 pm »
Hurry up, spring.  I'm dying for some baseball ...

Yep....

And congrats to my team"s newest addition (and greatest slugger) to the Baseball HOF...... Jeff Bagwell.

The "original" Killer B's now have a corner of their own.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #417 on: January 23, 2017, 01:54:50 pm »
Yep....

And congrats to my team"s newest addition (and greatest slugger) to the Baseball HOF...... Jeff Bagwell.

The "original" Killer B's now have a corner of their own.

Absolutely!

Have you seen the Bagwell and Biggio statues outside of minute maid park?

They're pretty cool