Author Topic: Baseball 2016---Season On!  (Read 39603 times)

Offline musiclady

Re: Baseball 2016---Season On!
« Reply #325 on: October 08, 2016, 12:01:38 am »
KABOOM!!!!

Cleveland SHUTS OUT Boston 6-0!

And the Cavs were there cheering them on.  :laugh:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
« Reply #326 on: October 08, 2016, 02:46:18 pm »
If anyone can challenge the Cubs, it looks like the Giants can. Cubs 1 0 Giants but the Giants had 6 hits versus 3 from the Cubs.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/scoreboard/

Today's games.

Dodgers at Nationals
Giants at Cubs.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 02:47:22 pm by TomSea »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #327 on: October 08, 2016, 08:09:10 pm »
Dodgers at Nationals game postponed because of rain, they are scheduled to play tomorrow.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #328 on: October 11, 2016, 01:59:38 am »
Indians WIN the ALDS, sweeping the Red Sox!!!!

(And making their fans EXTREMELY nervous in doing so!)

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #329 on: October 13, 2016, 06:06:49 pm »

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #330 on: October 14, 2016, 02:40:11 am »
Cubs will be in the World Series, they are indeed super; nothing will stop them. SF was a very good team. Perhaps no one will challenge them as the Giants did.

I don't think the AL has anyone that will be able to overcome them.

I saw some article the other day, how when the WS comes around, Cubs fans would always be watching the Cardinals in the WS; and the Cardinals, they don't go every year but they go very often and have for the longest times.

So, this year, we could well see Cardinals fans watching the Cubs in the playoffs. I don't know why the writer was making that point, but he was.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2016, 03:29:01 am »
Go Indians! I found this article that some Canadians may even find the name "Indians" offensive. And of course, they are playing the Bluejays.

Go Tribe.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37639638

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #332 on: October 14, 2016, 05:41:43 am »
Both sides threw the kitchen sink at each other but the Dodgers won---with
Clayton Kershaw (of all people) nailing the save in the ninth . . . the third
pitcher in MLB history to bag a save in a postseason series-clinching game
on a single day's rest. Come to think of it, I wouldn't have been shocked to
see any pitcher throw a kitchen sink up to the plate!

On to Chicago. The Dodgers now will have the honour of getting their tails
waxed by the Cubs . . .

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #333 on: October 14, 2016, 05:18:19 pm »
Dodgers beat Nationals to reach NLCS after pulling out all the stops

Bill Plunkett
Orange County Register
October 14, 2016

It will be a team of destiny facing a team of density, the Dodgers having packed their roster so thickly with heroes that a closer was hiding in their starting rotation.

The Dodgers used every bit of that and more Thursday night – a closer pitching in the seventh inning, tag-team starting pitchers, backup catchers pinch-running and pinch-hitting – and finally turned to Clayton Kershaw to close it out after Manager Dave Roberts said he would “absolutely not” do that, not even for one batter.

They somehow managed to both come-from-behind and hold on for their dear lives, beating the Washington Nationals, 4-3, in Game 5 of their National League Division Series.

The Dodgers advance to the NLCS for the second time in the past four years and fourth time in the past nine. This time, they will face the Chicago Cubs starting Saturday night at Wrigley Field.
More

California Ping

Please click here to be added to or removed from the California Ping List.  ^-^

If you post an article here, please send me a mention: @Machiavelli

@American Patriot
@bootless
@flowers
@Ginger Republic
@GtHawk
@Half Vast Conspiracy
@Machiavelli
@Meshuge Mikey
@Mr McBeevee
@pogo101
@skeeter
@SZonian
@The Jackal
@To-Whose-Benefit?
@truth_seeker

Offline TomSea

« Reply #334 on: October 14, 2016, 06:07:55 pm »
I'm an American League guy in general, I probably wouldn't cheer on the Yankees but most of the other teams are okay,

If the WS is Cleveland vs. Chicago, I'll be fairly neutral; though Cleveland had a very good year, I do know, they went through some weak spots in the schedule this year, perhaps all of the teams do in that; so Cleveland is certainly no shoo-in to go to the WS; but are probably big favorites.

Offline Polly Ticks

« Reply #335 on: October 14, 2016, 06:17:09 pm »
I'm an American League guy in general,

I'm sorry to hear that.  Maybe one day you can come to appreciate watching REAL baseball ... 
 :whistle:

(I'm KIDDING!  Mostly.)
Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #336 on: October 14, 2016, 10:49:47 pm »
MLB: The 5 Greatest Shortstops to Ever Play the Game

Michael Laurila
The Cheat Sheet
October 14, 2016

While he’s no longer rocking pinstripes on a regular basis, it’s hard to think about the New York Yankees and not turn your attention to the great Derek Jeter. Even after his retirement from Major League Baseball in 2014, the captain of all captains continues to remain a permanent fixture in the city with which he spent his entire career. And really, that shouldn’t be a surprise. That’s usually what happens when you’re an all-time great shortstop.

Throughout his incredible career, Jeter showed himself to be one of the greatest shortstops to ever step on a diamond. While there have been better offensive shortstops, and better defensive shortstops, no one equaled his impressive balance of offense and defense. Which is why we feel the need to compile this particular list. Therefore, with that in mind, here’s a look the five best all-around shortstops to ever play the game from the bottom to the top, taking into account more than any single facet of the game.
More

BTW, this seems to me to be a clickbait site.

5. Ernie Banks
4. Ozzie Smith
3. Cal Ripken Jr.
2. Derek Jeter
1. Honus Wagner

For a contrasting view, please see the Shortstop JAWS Leaders ratings at Baseball-Reference.com.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 11:02:58 pm by Machiavelli »

Offline TomSea

« Reply #337 on: October 15, 2016, 01:39:53 am »
I'm sorry to hear that.  Maybe one day you can come to appreciate watching REAL baseball ... 
 :whistle:

(I'm KIDDING!  Mostly.)

It was a bit of the coming of Cable TV, it existed before but in the '80s; all of a sudden we had the Braves via WTBS, Mets via WOR, Cubs via WGN, I watched Harry Caray a lot, I still have a very clear memory of the "Holy Cow".  And before that, we got plenty of games of the Dodgers and Angels; so all of those except the last team were National League.

The Cubs were the lovable losers, we'll see.

I don't think they should have moved the 'Stros to the AL or the Brewers to the NL; I think that is how that happened. But it's not that important I suppose.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #338 on: October 15, 2016, 03:56:34 am »
Indians beat Toronto in first game - 2-0!  Keep it up Tribe!!

Offline musiclady

« Reply #339 on: October 15, 2016, 11:52:55 pm »
Indians win game 2 against Blue Jays, 2-1.

Gotta say it...... the BULLPEN is AWESOME!!

GO TRIBE!!!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »
I'd love to see a Cubs/Indians series. One hasn't won in decades, the other in a century.
The Republic is lost.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2016, 03:20:31 pm »
I'd love to see a Cubs/Indians series. One hasn't won in decades, the other in a century.

Unless I am now 100 years old, the Indians have won in less than a century.  ^-^

But that WOULD be a fun series.

We're only 2 games away from doing our part!

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2016, 04:32:36 pm »
Unless I am now 100 years old, the Indians have won in less than a century.  ^-^

But that WOULD be a fun series.

We're only 2 games away from doing our part!

I think I read it's been 61 years for Cleveland, and of course 108 for the Cubs. If that series came about, at least someone would be ending the drought.
The Republic is lost.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2016, 05:00:21 pm »
I think I read it's been 61 years for Cleveland, and of course 108 for the Cubs. If that series came about, at least someone would be ending the drought.

And, considering the combatants (the Cubs, in the 108th year of their rebuilding effort; the Indians, who haven't won a
World Series since around the Berlin Airlift), the national anthem would change from "The Star Spangled Banner" to . . .

The Rolling Stones, "19th Nervous Breakdown"

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2016, 05:02:21 pm »
Indians win game 2 against Blue Jays, 2-1.

Gotta say it...... the BULLPEN is AWESOME!!

GO TRIBE!!!

ALCS Game Two: Now, it's Miller time

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2016, 06:19:39 pm »

Chicago Cubs - last Pennant won: 1945, last WS won: 1908

Cleveland Indians - last Pennant won: 1997, last WS won: 1948

Offline Machiavelli

• Curmudgeon
  • Realist

Wingnut

« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2016, 07:20:18 pm »
Chicago Cubs - last Pennant won: 1945, last WS won: 1908

Cleveland Indians - last Pennant won: 1997, last WS won: 1948

Networks hate a Midwest fly-over county series.     This might be an execption to a ratings bonanza.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2016, 08:36:37 pm »
Networks hate a Midwest fly-over county series.     This might be an execption to a ratings bonanza.

Are you kidding? If the Cubs and the Indians end up in the World Series against each other, the
networks will go batsh@t nuts with the storylines and the long, long, long World Series ring
droughts each team has, not to mention the calamities each team's dealt with over the years, on
and off the field. (Not to mention the prospect of the Indians having to try to win a Series
against the team everyone and their proverbial twin brother had winning this year's Series when
spring training was still two weeks from finishing . . . )

Offline TomSea

« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2016, 11:58:30 pm »
Cardinals are in the World Series often, they can be counted in the Midwest region.

If one means to talk about the upper MidWest or however,  Tigers, Whitesox, Royals have all had their moments in recent years, maybe I'm missing some team?