Author Topic: Leave Families out of It  (Read 725 times)

Offline sinkspur

Leave Families out of It
« on: February 07, 2016, 05:54:16 pm »
Leave Families Out of It  by MONA CHAREN   

February 7, 2016 11:36 AM

Senator Cruz has received a fair amount of praise for citing his late sister’s struggle with drug and alcohol addiction at last night’s debate. I disagree. It made me cringe.

Cruz is not the first to invoke close relations for political ends. Al Gore famously invoked his sister’s lung cancer death for his dedication to the anti-smoking crusade — though it was later revealed that even after her death he had boasted to his Tennessee constituents about his love of and intimate familiarity with the tobacco crop. 

In this cycle, Carly Fiorina has spoken of “burying a child” who succumbed to drug addiction. Rick Santorum mentioned his youngest daughter, who has severe disabilities, to prove that he walks the walk on the question of life. Donald Trump told a televised gathering at a New Hampshire restaurant about his late brother’s death from alcoholism — to explain why he himself is a teetotaler. Now Cruz cites the terrible experience of his late “half-sister” who was, apparently, an angry addict, in and out of jail, a failed mother, and a possible suicide. Cruz also threw in that he had taken out a $20,000 loan to help his nephew “Joey” pay tuition at Valley Forge Military Academy. That seemed self-serving.

This strikes me as a terrible invasion of privacy of the candidates’ relatives. Bella Santorum may not want to be the poster child for her parents’ pro-life views (even if it’s true). She gets no say. As for the dead relations, they are now completely defined by their addictions, whatever other qualities they may have had. Their privacy is egregiously violated. To use their mistakes, illness, suffering, or misfortune to burnish the reputation of the candidate crosses a line. The privacy of family members should be sacred.

Read more at: http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/430898/hillary-talks-about-americans-theyre-peasants
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EdinVA

Re: Leave Families out of It
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
Mona Charen is wrong.  It is perfectly acceptable to use your own examples in life.  What is wrong is for others to use your family as examples, especially kids.  It is a rule of courtesy that you can talk about your own family but no one else can, and you should not talk about theirs.  A rare exception would be with the Clintons or Bushes where the family members have been in office.

What I don't like are the staged examples the left offers.  They hollywood up the campaign.  That's different.

Especially if some good can come out of it by heightening awareness etc but if it is simply gratuitous sympathy grabbing, then no.

Cruz was trying to demonstrate his understanding of the drug issue.. perfectly acceptable to me...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »
Cruz was trying to demonstrate his understanding of the drug issue.. perfectly acceptable to me...

And me...the whole auditorium was so silent you could hear a pin drop...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 06:36:24 pm »
And me...the whole auditorium was so silent you could hear a pin drop...

And I would add that Cruz did not bring it up, the guy that was sitting at the same table as Mary Ham brought it up and Cruz was simply responding.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 06:39:11 pm »
The specific question was heroin use in NH. What was the answer, again ??

The presumed arrogance of politicians amazes me. "My sister/brother was an alcoholic/drug addict, so therefore I am qualified to fix this societal problem."

Yeah, right ...

Meanwhile, out here in leading edge land of California we had a doctor convicted of over prescribing pain meds, killing at least two. She got 30 years for 2nd degree murder, or negligent homicide.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=pain+meds+convicted+doctor&oq=pain+meds+convicted+doctor&gs_l=news-cc.12..43j43i53.560437.566227.0.569043.26.7.0.19.19.0.186.888.1j6.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.QqhqV-gXQEg

Another thing we have been doing here, is convicting drunk drivers of murder, when deaths occur.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »
I thought the story was awkward and inappropriate. Can you imagine going to a job interview and telling a story like that, about a drug addicted sister, etc.

But, at least it was true. Obama is famous for telling bleeding heart stories during his campaign or during the Obamacare battle. When the stories are fact checked, nine times out of ten the people he mentioned either did not exist, or the story he told about them was completely wrong.

So, at least he was telling the truth. But, as the author says, would his sister approve of being called out like that? Was he disrespecting the dead? I don't know. I would not have done it.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2016, 07:49:21 pm »
What a pathetic article by Mona, and pure hypocrisy. Does not the media constantly try to take stuff, especially politics, to the personal and touch/feely level? MSM reporters push it, provoke it, and practically try to wrench it out of the candidate with every dirty, sneaky trick they can muster on a constant basis, to hype sales.

Any politico that doesn't play ball with that is portrayed as heartless, inhuman and cruel.

Now suddenly it's a bad thing?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:49:47 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2016, 09:54:55 pm »

The presumed arrogance of politicians amazes me. "My sister/brother was an alcoholic/drug addict, so therefore I am qualified to fix this societal problem." 

I think it's a pathetic attempt to say:  "Hey, look at me, I have a half-sister who died because of drugs.  I'm just like you".

It's impact is momentary, at best. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 09:57:54 pm »
This strikes me as a terrible invasion of privacy of the candidates’ relatives. Bella Santorum may not want to be the poster child for her parents’ pro-life views (even if it’s true). She gets no say. As for the dead relations, they are now completely defined by their addictions, whatever other qualities they may have had.

Their privacy is egregiously violated. To use their mistakes, illness, suffering, or misfortune to burnish the reputation of the candidate crosses a line. The privacy of family members should be sacred.

:word:

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 10:03:57 pm »

Yeah, right ...

Meanwhile, out here in leading edge land of California we had a doctor convicted of over prescribing pain meds, killing at least two. She got 30 years for 2nd degree murder, or negligent homicide.

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&gl=us&tbm=nws&authuser=0&q=pain+meds+convicted+doctor&oq=pain+meds+convicted+doctor&gs_l=news-cc.12..43j43i53.560437.566227.0.569043.26.7.0.19.19.0.186.888.1j6.7.0...0.0...1ac.1.QqhqV-gXQEg

Another thing we have been doing here, is convicting drunk drivers of murder, when deaths occur.

Bravo.

Why is it that we continue to lift politicians to the level of saviors?

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Offline Luis Gonzalez

• Boiling Frogs
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 10:05:54 pm »
"Bella Santorum may not want to be the poster child for her parents’ pro-life views (even if it’s true). She gets no say. As for the dead relations, they are now completely defined by their addictions, whatever other qualities they may have had. Their privacy is egregiously violated. To use their mistakes, illness, suffering, or misfortune to burnish the reputation of the candidate crosses a line. The privacy of family members should be sacred."

:amen:
"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, i have others." - Groucho Marx

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 10:22:49 pm »
The problem with Mona's idiotic little tirade is that she attempted to throw Cruz into the soup of unsolicited use of family members by some politicians as personal stories. She is a bald faced liar.

That is not what happened last night. From the Breitbart http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2016/02/06/ted-cruz-shares-moving-family-story-of-sisters-addiction-at-gop-debate/ article:

"Moderator David Muir referenced comment this week from New Hampshire’s Governor regarding the high rate of heroin overdose in the state. Muir then cited 48 per cent as the number of New Hampshire residents that know a heroin abuser.

Josh McElveen of WMUR jabbed at Cruz’s absence from a Judiciary Committee meeting last month that discussed drug addiction before asking Cruz what he had to say to convince law enforcement that he understands the severity of the problem."

What I got from it is that the smarmy p***k moderator tried to imply Cruz was heartless and cavalier on the issue, and Cruz dropped the bomb on him. Cruz in no way initiated the story.

It was a moving, and what I got from Cruz is not that he's an expert, but that he is acutely aware of the problem and will take steps to solve it.
The Republic is lost.