Author Topic: Ammon Bundy, 3 others arrested in Oregon amid shots fired – reports  (Read 5044 times)

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Re: Ammon Bundy, 3 others arrested in Oregon amid shots fired – reports
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2016, 03:42:39 pm »

That is a very good question and audio would be the key to that. I think that Is helicopter footage,  not drone.

Honest Question...

If you had your hands up and were shot, were would your hands go?

I don't know but without audio, there is still room for speculation.

Is it possible he was grasping at a gunshot wound?

Nice drone footage.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2016, 03:51:27 pm »
Tried to run around and by the police roadblock.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline ABX

« Reply #52 on: January 29, 2016, 04:07:40 pm »
...and almost hit an agent when he did. I actually thought he hit him when the footage moved.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #53 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:30 pm »
Hard to say exactly what was going on there. Don't know if he gave them a reason to shoot him but he certainly gave them an excuse. Very foolish and dangerous actions

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #54 on: January 29, 2016, 06:00:11 pm »
Hard to say exactly what was going on there. Don't know if he gave them a reason to shoot him but he certainly gave them an excuse. Very foolish and dangerous actions

Looked to me like he might have lowered his hands and grabbed his gut in reaction to being shot rather than in an attempt to pull a gun...

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #55 on: January 29, 2016, 10:19:12 pm »

Oregon Militia Asked to Sign Talent Release - Running to Shut Off Feed! - PRICELESS!

Maybe militia are routinely asked to sign 'talent releases' in these situations...

Who knew?

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." - Ecclesiastes 10:2

"The sole purpose of the Republican Party is to serve as an ineffective alternative to the Democrat Party." - GourmetDan

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #56 on: January 29, 2016, 10:24:00 pm »
Jeff Head of FR has written about it, and concludes the dead guy was not assassinated. He behaved in a manner that brought about his demise.

Other information includes the FACT the deceased wrote a book with an episode of a final shootout with LE.

And the deceased was recently interviewed and stated he was not leaving alive. Living out the drama in his head?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #57 on: January 29, 2016, 10:28:18 pm »

Must be some new method for hijacking a thread...    :shrug:

Offline ABX

« Reply #58 on: January 29, 2016, 10:51:27 pm »

Oregon Militia Asked to Sign Talent Release - Running to Shut Off Feed! - PRICELESS!

Maybe militia are routinely asked to sign 'talent releases' in these situations...

Who knew?

A talent release or what I use, model release (even if not a model) is pretty common for non-signed media freelancers. I use them all the time, even if something is generally protected under the First Amendment as a public, media event. This allows the person who is shooting the photos (as is in my case) or video to use the imagery in more than just a news story. For example, in a personal portfolio or submission to some photo contests or other forms of recognition. It also allows selling the photo or video to stock sources such as Getty who will then, in turn, sell it to media outlets.

For example, last year I shot an Anonymous versus our police protest that had protesters that were both pro and anti-police side--by-side. Several of the images I thought would be interesting and possibly useful (I submitted one for the Sony World Photography Award, didn't even get a look but oh well) and had the Anonymous members in the image sign the release. Luckily a couple of their members recognized me and knew I wasn't just a copy ratting them out and they signed. I may not have been able to submit those images if I didn't get that release even though it was a public, news-worthy event.

Offline ABX

« Reply #59 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:08 pm »
Jeff Head of FR has written about it, and concludes the dead guy was not assassinated. He behaved in a manner that brought about his demise.

Other information includes the FACT the deceased wrote a book with an episode of a final shootout with LE.

And the deceased was recently interviewed and stated he was not leaving alive. Living out the drama in his head?

I posted a thread this morning that looks like it was combined with another that I took zoomed in screen shots of the shooting. I agree with Jeff, he did initially have his hands up (after trying to run down an agent) but then put them down into his jacket before he was shot. He could have been reacting to an earlier shot or he could have been reaching in his jacket, it is hard to tell without audio.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,192945.25.html  In this thread.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2016, 10:55:48 pm »

Do people routinely run to shut off cameras when you start asking for releases?

Offline ABX

« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2016, 11:01:24 pm »

Do people routinely run to shut off cameras when you start asking for releases?

I can see if they are amateurs or freelancers shooting, someone asking to sign a legal document may give them pause. They may not want to be part of the story or they may question the motives of who is asking for the information if they aren't obviously a member of the press. It may also cause them to question the legality of where they are (are they on private property for example).

I can see the point that it could be used as an intimidation technique. My point above though is it isn't unusual.

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2016, 11:02:28 pm »
I posted a thread this morning that looks like it was combined with another that I took zoomed in screen shots of the shooting. I agree with Jeff, he did initially have his hands up (after trying to run down an agent) but then put them down into his jacket before he was shot. He could have been reacting to an earlier shot or he could have been reaching in his jacket, it is hard to tell without audio.

If he was trying to run down an agent, why not just crash into the vehicles blocking the road?  Did he see agents hiding out in the trees and decide to go for one of them instead?  Seems to me that he was trying to go through the snow around the roadblock and didn't make it.

And yeah, he could have been reacting to being shot when he brought his hands down.  Getting shot would also explain him stumbling in snow that he seemed perfectly able to navigate when his hands were outstretched.

Saying he put his hands down into his jacket before he was shot implies that you know when he was first shot.  If they started shooting him before he brought his hands down, that would corroborate witness statements that the police shot him while his hands were up.  But those aren't the right kind of witnesses...

Offline GourmetDan

« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2016, 11:05:11 pm »
I can see if they are amateurs or freelancers shooting, someone asking to sign a legal document may give them pause. They may not want to be part of the story or they may question the motives of who is asking for the information if they aren't obviously a member of the press. It may also cause them to question the legality of where they are (are they on private property for example).

I can see the point that it could be used as an intimidation technique. My point above though is it isn't unusual.

'It' being asking for talent releases not being unusual.  Or do people routinely run to shut of the camera when you ask for signed releases?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #64 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:01 pm »
Evangelist Franklin Graham just posted on Facebook:
For the last few days I have spoken by phone with the four remaining hold-outs at the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge in Oregon at their request and the request of the FBI. I have prayed with them and encouraged them to leave the property peacefully before any more lives are lost and argue their grievances in the court system. This is a complicated dispute between the Federal government and ranchers in western states that goes back many years. When I last spoke with the remaining protestors, they asked me if I would ask others to pray. Will you join me in praying for a peaceful resolution to the situation, for each protestor involved and their family members, and for the FBI and law enforcement working so hard to resolve this crisis?
(emphasis added)
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Paladin

« Reply #65 on: February 06, 2016, 08:24:25 pm »
...and almost hit an agent when he did. I actually thought he hit him when the footage moved.

We must have watched 2 different videos. The one I saw has LaVoy bearing hard left and the agent jumping out toward his vehicle.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #66 on: February 06, 2016, 08:58:56 pm »
We must have watched 2 different videos. The one I saw has LaVoy bearing hard left and the agent jumping out toward his vehicle.

Yes. It looked to me as though he was trying to run the roadblock by going around it to the left through the snow bank. I couldn't understand why the LEO was actually moving toward the impact point as opposed to making sure he was clear. Looked like he was risking getting plowed over.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2016, 12:48:37 am »
Yes. It looked to me as though he was trying to run the roadblock by going around it to the left through the snow bank. I couldn't understand why the LEO was actually moving toward the impact point as opposed to making sure he was clear. Looked like he was risking getting plowed over.

We agree on what the LEO did but not on what LaVoy did. Given the position of the roadblock and the speed LaVoy was traveling at, it is just as logical to assume he swerved left in order to avoid crashing into the barricade of vehicles and thus injuring himself and his passengers.
Members of the anti-Trump cabal: Now that Mr Trump has sewn up the nomination, I want you to know I feel your pain.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2016, 03:07:22 am »
The road was a straight shot for some distance. If his only goal was to avoid slamming into the road block he could have easily slowed and stopped.

Offline Paladin

« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2016, 06:21:38 am »
The road was a straight shot for some distance. If his only goal was to avoid slamming into the road block he could have easily slowed and stopped.

He had no intention of stopping. There is evidence shots were fired at his vehicle at the first stop, so his plan was to get on into John Day where a sympathetic sheriff could provide protection. Unfortunately, he came around a blind curve going at a relatively high rate of speed and ran smack into the federal barricade, and what looks like a prepared ambush.