Author Topic: Surgeon general urges widespread mask use: 'It is not a suppression of your freedom'  (Read 10617 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
DB wrote:
"As a mark for those who "care". Because the "damn mask" doesn't do squat. Virtually no one is wearing an N95 mask, the ONLY one, that has any actual chance of blocking a virus in the air. And that one you can only wear once before you need to replace it.
How about a dose of reality?"

Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

Don't mean nuthin', just an impertinent question, but...
Why do surgeons and nurses wear paper masks in the O.R. ...?

Really... why...?

Offline roamer_1

Really... why...?

To maintain a sterile field - a far different thing.
The better question: Why don't virologists wear paper masks in virology labs?
 ANSWER: Because they don't work against viral contamination.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Well, some of the thoughts expressed on this thread are idiotic, or selfish, or both.   

Trash talking Briefers will get you nowhere.  Why do you slum here, anyway?  You've called me selfish before, and worse.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Here's a dose of reality - Trump is going to lose this election unless voters believe the coronavirus is under control and the economy is reopening/rebounding.   That reopening is already being delayed in some states by governors obsessed with mask wearing.

So wear the damn mask and help re-elect the President.  Act like a selfish jerk and watch the Dems sweep the White House and Congress.   That, sir, is reality.
Write TRUMP 2020 on it. See how long they demand you wear it.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Write TRUMP 2020 on it. See how long they demand you wear it.

A gal brought some masks in today, with the Trump 2020 flag printed on them.  They'll sell.  All our Trump flags sold out in two days.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
That's why you don't see anything other than that in virus labs.

Alot of times it will say on the package itself that it doesn't stop viruses but the CDC/WHO pushes the narrative anyway.

Or as a buddy of mine put it -  do the fart test. If you can smell the fart, you're just fooling yourself.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:49:57 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline roamer_1

Alot of times it will say on the package itself that it doesn't stop viruses but the CDC/WHO pushes the narrative anyway.

Or as a buddy of mine put it -  do the fart test. If you can smell the fart, you're just fooling yourself.

YEP. The fart test was fairly applied as a painter... A good indicator that your respirator was not functioning correctly...

And btw, a painter's respirator is liable to be a helluva lot better in filtration than a paper mask, cooler, and more comfortable... And STILL won't stop a bug according to the numbers. If I were so inclined, for the 20 bucks, that's what I would be wearing.

But I am not so inclined. My neck's up now.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 12:56:41 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
YEP. The fart test was fairly applied as a painter... A good indicator that your respirator was not functioning correctly...

And btw, a painter's respirator is liable to be a helluva lot better in filtration than a paper mask, cooler, and more comfortable... And STILL won't stop a bug according to the numbers. If I were so inclined, for the 20 bucks, that's what I would be wearing.

But I am not so inclined. My neck's up now.

Same here.  I call them "submission masks."  The gal showing off the Trump 2020 cloth masks wasn't amused.   :laugh:
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

Same here.  I call them "submission masks."  The gal showing off the Trump 2020 cloth masks wasn't amused.   :laugh:

LOL!

But to reiterate, this does not stop it... With that in mind, what makes anyone think a cloth mask is doing anything?

Offline Applewood

I've said this before -- during some past epidemics in Asia, I would see images of residents wearing masks and there would be some expert(s) saying the masks do nothing to prevent the spread of disease.  Even in the beginning of this virus spread, "experts" were saying masks are useless.  Then all of a sudden, the CDC, WHO and others said we need masks to prevent the spread of COVID. 

So what changed? 

I wear one when I go out because most places around here require masks or they won't let you in.  Then today, the Goobernor just made them mandatory everywhere.   I expect next will be another shutdown.  I read that California's Goobernor just ordered shutdowns again for many of the state's counties.  These politicians are determined to put us all back in the box.  They must be stopped.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:46:28 pm by Applewood »

Offline Smokin Joe

LOL!

But to reiterate, this does not stop it... With that in mind, what makes anyone think a cloth mask is doing anything?

You need something more like this, with the right filters.

Better to have filtered, powered, air supply, though.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline roamer_1

Better to have filtered, powered, air supply, though.

Yeah... But knowing painters like I do, somebody's gonna figure out how to fart in the airline anyhow.  :shrug: :whistle:

Offline Smokin Joe

Yeah... But knowing painters like I do, somebody's gonna figure out how to fart in the airline anyhow.  :shrug: :whistle:
:silly:

Same breed as rig hands.... :shrug: :whistle:

C S Lewis

Offline DB

DB wrote:
"As a mark for those who "care". Because the "damn mask" doesn't do squat. Virtually no one is wearing an N95 mask, the ONLY one, that has any actual chance of blocking a virus in the air. And that one you can only wear once before you need to replace it.
How about a dose of reality?"

Fishrrman's credo:
Reality is what it is. It is not what we believe it to be.

Really... why...?

A paper mask works for things getting splattered about. You don't want someone's blood in your mouth for example. Blood cells are large.

You also don't want someone's spittle in your open body during surgery.

An airborne virus is something else all together.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 02:34:46 am by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

A paper mask works for things getting splattered about. You don't want someone's blood in your mouth for example. Blood cells are large.

You also don't want someone's spittle in your open body during surgery.

An airborne virus is something else all together.
Is the virus airborne or droplet borne?

Seems the dweebs at the CDC, etc. never did get clear on that.

If it is airborne, then you need a BSL-4 bubble.

C S Lewis

Offline DB

I've said this before -- during some past epidemics on Asia, I would see images of residents wearing masks and there would be some expert(s) saying the masks do nothing to prevent the spread of disease.  Even in the beginning of this virus spread, "experts" were saying masks are useless.  Then all of a sudden, the CDC, WHO and others said we need masks to prevent the spread of COVID. 

So what changed? 

I wear one when I go out because most places around here require masks or they won't let you in.  Then today, the Goobernor just made them mandatory everywhere.   I expect next will be another shutdown.  I read that California's Goobernor just ordered shutdowns again for many of the state's counties.  These politicians are determined to put us all back in the box.  They must be stopped.

Asia has massive air pollution. People wear masks there to not breath the crap blowing around.

Offline DB

Is the virus airborne or droplet borne?

Seems the dweebs at the CDC, etc. never did get clear on that.

If it is airborne, then you need a BSL-4 bubble.

If it is in a small droplet and your cloth mask captures it. As the moisture evaporates the virus it is liberated to continue on through. And being very small moisture droplets they evaporate quickly in warmer drier climates.

Offline DB

LOL!

The NIH tested cloth masks for virus size things and said they did zip.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5906272/

Offline Smokin Joe

If it is in a small droplet and your cloth mask captures it. As the moisture evaporates the virus it is liberated to continue on through. And being very small moisture droplets they evaporate quickly in warmer drier climates.
It's the airborne part (virus survives, much like an anthrax spore, without benefit of being in a droplet) that I wonder about. For all the claims of "science", these words have definite meanings and the sloppy use of them changes the picture. If the virus itself is airborne, then Houston, we have a problem, and the masks are a placebo.

C S Lewis

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
It's the airborne part (virus survives, much like an anthrax spore, without benefit of being in a droplet) that I wonder about. For all the claims of "science", these words have definite meanings and the sloppy use of them changes the picture. If the virus itself is airborne, then Houston, we have a problem, and the masks are a placebo.

All masks, including N95, would be too porous. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

Offline berdie

OK...I get where you all are coming from. Government control etc. Wearing a mask just isn't a big deal to me...so shoot me. Maybe I've been beaten down by the "no smoking on private property" thing.

I went to buy cigarettes today ( :thud:) , wearing a mask. Some yahoo ignored the signs on the door and inside and refused. So do ya'll think a private business has the right to ask for a mask? Or no shoes no shirt no service? Or no smoking in our establishment.

I contained my comments to the rude guy...mainly because people carry guns these times. But it annoyed me. It was private property. If I require people to wear red clown noses in my home to be admitted that is my business. I may be selling tomatoes.  :laugh:

So, tell me what he was doing was right...I'm sad.

Offline Axeslinger

OK...I get where you all are coming from. Government control etc. Wearing a mask just isn't a big deal to me...so shoot me. Maybe I've been beaten down by the "no smoking on private property" thing.

I went to buy cigarettes today ( :thud:) , wearing a mask. Some yahoo ignored the signs on the door and inside and refused. So do ya'll think a private business has the right to ask for a mask? Or no shoes no shirt no service? Or no smoking in our establishment.

I contained my comments to the rude guy...mainly because people carry guns these times. But it annoyed me. It was private property. If I require people to wear red clown noses in my home to be admitted that is my business. I may be selling tomatoes.  :laugh:

So, tell me what he was doing was right...I'm sad.
@berdie
The two are not mutually exclusive.   The business owner has the right to require it.  The guy who won’t wear it has the right to do so...just as he has the right to patronize a different business.  Biz owner can require it and refuse service and can call the law when patron will not leave.

I don’t wear a mask.  Screw the govt.  But i have a mask with me because if it’s required by the biz owner, I will put it on or go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 09:14:43 pm by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Axeslinger

Here's a dose of reality - Trump is going to lose this election unless voters believe the coronavirus is under control and the economy is reopening/rebounding.   That reopening is already being delayed in some states by governors obsessed with mask wearing.

So wear the damn mask and help re-elect the President.  Act like a selfish jerk and watch the Dems sweep the White House and Congress.   That, sir, is reality.

Here’s a dose of reality...anything and I mean ANYTHING that @Jazzhead says conservatives should do is 180deg out of phase with what conservatives should actually do.  The quintessential broken clock “conservative” 
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Offline berdie

@berdie
The two are not mutually exclusive.   The business owner has the right to require it.  The guy who won’t wear it has the right to do so...just as he has the right to patronize a different business.  Biz owner can require it and refuse service and can call the law when patron will not leave.

I don’t wear a mask.  Screw the govt.  But i have a mask with me because if it’s required by the biz owner, I will put it on or go elsewhere.

Actually, @axelinger that was the point I was trying to make. If ya don't want to wear a mask...and an owner requires it...just leave.