Author Topic: Cardinal Burke: Consider Virus in Light of 'Actual Sins,' Abortion, Gender Theory  (Read 624 times)

Offline libertybele

Cardinal Burke: Consider Virus in Light of 'Actual Sins,' Abortion, Gender Theory

Catholic Cardinal Raymond Burke, an American who serves on the highest court at the Vatican, said the coronavirus should be viewed in natural terms and spiritual terms because "great evils like pestilence are an effect of original sin and our actual sins."

God must "repair the disorder which sin introduces into our lives and into our world," he said, and our response to the pandemic must include a consideration of our culture, which kills the unborn through abortion, neglects the elderly, and perverts human sexuality -- God made them male and female -- through "so-called 'gender theory'" and even "violent" sex-change surgery.

..........Cardinal Burke, in his March 21 Presentation on his website, made clear that people should obey the advice of doctors and public officials about social distancing, washing our hands, and using "every prudent means to avoid contracting or spreading the coronavirus."

However, "in considering what is needed to live, we must not forget that our first consideration is our relationship with God," said the cardinal. Just as we must have access to food and medicine, we also "must be able to pray in our churches and chapels, receive the Sacraments, and engage in acts of public prayer and devotion....".............

https://www.cnsnews.com/article/international/michael-w-chapman/cardinal-burke-consider-virus-light-actual-sins-abortion
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Absalom

So "great evils like pestilence are an effect of original sin and our sins".
Disagree w/this muddle.
The nature of Creation is spiritual while the nature of the Universe is material.
Man shares both a spiritual and material nature as he is imperfect w/Original Sin.
Pestilence is the consequence of Man's behavior whether accidental or deliberate
and not the result of Original Sin.
As an example, the Spanish Flu, which killed tens of millions, was the result of the
Great War where soldiers lived in trenches dug from the earth; which served as
bedroom, bathroom and kitchen for millions over some 4 years.
Man created this pestilence.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:34:26 am by Absalom »

Offline libertybele

Disagree w/this muddle.
The nature of Creation is spiritual while the nature of the Universe is material.
Man shares both a spiritual and material nature as he is imperfect w/Original Sin.
Pestilence is the consequence of Man's behavior whether accidental or deliberate
As an example, the Spanish Flu was the result of the Great War where soldiers
lived in trenches dug from the earth; which served as bedroom, bathroom and
kitchen for millions over some 4 years. Man created this pestilence.

The point he is making though is as a country in general we have set "God" aside and we have become a  "culture, which kills the unborn through abortion, neglects the elderly, and perverts human sexuality -- God made them male and female -- through "so-called 'gender theory'" and even "violent" sex-change surgery."

The Book of Revelation does describe a multitude of plagues and those plagues will mark the end of civilization as we know it, along with bringing about a new age.

Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Absalom

The point he is making though is as a country in general we have set "God" aside and we have become a  "culture, which kills the unborn through abortion, neglects the elderly, and perverts human sexuality -- God made them male and female -- through "so-called 'gender theory'" and even "violent" sex-change surgery."
The Book of Revelation does describe a multitude of plagues and those plagues will mark the end of civilization as we know it, along with bringing about a new age.
---------------------------------
Fair enough, yet Burke is using the language of Logic and Philosophy.
They require precision when used to avoid confusion and misunderstanding.

Offline roamer_1

Disagree w/this muddle.
As an example, the Spanish Flu, which killed tens of millions, was the result of the
Great War where soldiers lived in trenches dug from the earth; which served as
bedroom, bathroom and kitchen for millions over some 4 years.
Man created this pestilence.

@Absalom 
OK, I'll play...

Consider if you will, that this stage, while being bifurcated between the spiritual and material, is not wholly so...

To enter this game, in the context of the Judeo-Christian Ethic, in the recognition if you will, that there is a spiritual/metaphysical aspect, and in order to impart a simple standard, let me produce a few statements within that light that may be worthy of note:

If Yah says Torah is 'reality', which he does... Then what is not Torah is not reality.
And in that, the further people fall from Torah, into their own, or other peoples' enchantments, the more likely it is that the very mechanisms of life will hit them unawares, caught up as they are in what is false.

If that is true, for the argument anyway, then the result is a near mechanical and predictable end to any way that is not toward reality, as Yah, and Torah predict...

A 'mess with the bull, get the horns' kind of thing - Cause and effect - which Yah has, in his wisdom, predicted and warned against.

In that, while you can accuse man of the result, and be right, I don't think it is correct to assume no metaphysical effect, or that the two sides as it were, are forever separate. I think it quite the other way around - That metaphysics dictates and the material world reacts. We are just not far-seeing enough to observe it... caught up as we are, all of us, in some degree of enchantment - Even f it is the bare and basic enchantment that you or I can discern good from evil - That one particularly, being the first play, all the way back in the Garden.

@libertybele

Offline Absalom

@Absalom 
OK, I'll play...
Consider if you will, that this stage, while being bifurcated between the spiritual and material, is not wholly so...
To enter this game, in the context of the Judeo-Christian Ethic, in the recognition if you will, that there is a spiritual/metaphysical aspect, and in order to impart a simple standard, let me produce a few statements within that light that may be worthy of note:
If Yah says Torah is 'reality', which he does... Then what is not Torah is not reality.
And in that, the further people fall from Torah, into their own, or other peoples' enchantments, the more likely it is that the very mechanisms of life will hit them unawares, caught up as they are in what is false.
If that is true, for the argument anyway, then the result is a near mechanical and predictable end to any way that is not toward reality, as Yah, and Torah predict...
A 'mess with the bull, get the horns' kind of thing - Cause and effect - which Yah has, in his wisdom, predicted and warned against.
In that, while you can accuse man of the result, and be right, I don't think it is correct to assume no metaphysical effect, or that the two sides as it were, are forever separate. I think it quite the other way around - That metaphysics dictates and the material world reacts. We are just not far-seeing enough to observe it... caught up as we are, all of us, in some degree of enchantment - Even f it is the bare and basic enchantment that you or I can discern good from evil - That one particularly, being the first play, all the way back in the Garden.
@liberty bele
----------------------------
Roamer and Liberty; well articulated and fair assessments.
I'm not adamant here; rather my 'complaint' is in conflating the spiritual w/the material.
I expect any Cardinal (Prince of the RC Church) to be clear and definitive when making
assertions involving Logic and Philosophy.
So a couple of observations:
* The Bible argues Sin is innate in Man because his father/Adam and mother/Eve disobeyed
God in consuming Fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, which was forbidden.
To me the essence of this story is mythological; therefore open to relenthless interpretation.
* Plato defined the Soul of Man (his Psyche) as eternal, indivisible yet complex and composed
of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire.
In my opinion, before addressing any aspect of either matter, a clear definition of terms is
mandatory to avoid confusion and a clash of ideas. Anyway be well.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 02:23:26 am by Absalom »

Offline LMAO

I knew as this virus gained attention the politics and  people promoting their own agendas would reveal themselves
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Abortion is a despicable event, but tying this virus to God's wrath , is so 1692 ish......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

----------------------------
Roamer and Liberty; well articulated and fair assessments.
I'm not adamant here; rather my 'complaint' is in conflating the spiritual w/the material.
I expect any Cardinal (Prince of the RC Church) to be clear and definitive when making
assertions involving Logic and Philosophy.
So a couple of observations:
* The Bible argues Sin is innate in Man because his father/Adam and mother/Eve disobeyed
God in consuming Fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, which was forbidden.
To me the essence of this story is mythological; therefore open to endless interpretation.
* Plato defined the Soul of Man (his Psyche) as eternal, indivisible yet complex and composed
of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire.
In my opinion, before addressing any aspect of either matter, a clear definition of terms is
mandatory to avoid confusion and a clash of ideas. Anyway be well.

Oh this could get fun...

@Absalom

To your two observations...

"* The Bible argues Sin is innate in Man because his father/Adam and mother/Eve disobeyed
To me the essence of this story is mythological; therefore open to endless interpretation.

of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire."

There is nothing in the way of both being true at the same time. In fact, one would suppose that Man, being in the image of Yah, would be 'eternal, indivisible yet complex and composed
of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire.'

In that, your desire for a definition in terms, while desirable, may well be beyond our scope and ability...  happy77

:seeya:

Offline Absalom

Oh this could get fun...
@Absalom
To your two observations...
"
* The Bible argues Sin is innate in Man because his father/Adam and mother/Eve disobeyed God in consuming Fruit from the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil, which was forbidden.
of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire."

There is nothing in the way of both being true at the same time. In fact, one would suppose
that Man, being in the image of Yah, would be 'eternal, indivisible yet complex and composed
of the abilities/traits of reasoning, of spirituality and of desire.'
In that, your desire for a definition in terms, while desirable, may well be beyond our scope and ability...  happy77
:seeya:
--------------------
Indeed, given the intellectual power of both Bible and Plato, it's most likely both are on the mark.
As for definitions, as I'm an optimist, I can only hope.