Author Topic: US outlines plan for Venezuela transition, sanctions relief  (Read 332 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
US outlines plan for Venezuela transition, sanctions relief
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:54:41 pm »
US outlines plan for Venezuela transition, sanctions relief
By JOSHUA GOODMAN

MIAMI (AP) — The Trump administration is prepared to lift sanctions on Venezuela in support of a new proposal to form a transitional government representing allies of both Nicolas Maduro and opposition leader Juan Guaido, U.S. officials said.

The plan, which will be presented Tuesday by Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, echoes a proposal made over the weekend by Guaidó that shows how growing concerns about the coronavirus, which threatens to overwhelm the South American country’s already collapsed health system and crippled economy, are reviving U.S. attempts to pull the military apart from Maduro.

What’s being dubbed the “Democratic Framework for Venezuela” would require Maduro and Guaidó to step aside and hand power to a five-member council of state to govern the country until presidential and parliamentary elections can be held in late 2020, according to a written summary of the proposal seen by The Associated Press.

Read more at: https://apnews.com/26688c9f86f7154cf3f8a3f34cf48ed0

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: US outlines plan for Venezuela transition, sanctions relief
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 02:35:37 pm »
Oh, I thought they meant us transitioning to Venezuela, what with toilet paper still in short supply.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis