Author Topic: CIA News Roundup - September 8, 2019  (Read 160 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
CIA News Roundup - September 8, 2019
« on: September 08, 2019, 01:41:20 pm »
Afghans seek justice for men killed 'in cold blood' by spy agency
President Ghani orders inquiry into killing of 4 brothers in Nangarhar province by CIA-funded intelligence agency.
by Shereena Qazi
6 Sept 2019

At a funeral ceremony of four young men in Afghanistan's Jalalabad city, Siffatullah said his hands were trembling when he buried the dead.

"I met them on the day they were killed. I was with them three hours before the incident," he said.

Siffatullah is the uncle of the four brothers, who were killed in a raid on Wednesday night by the CIA-trained and funded 02 Unit of the National Directorate of Security (NDS) spy agency.

Read more at: https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/09/afghans-seek-justice-men-killed-cold-blood-spy-agency-190906075046290.html

President Ghani ordered an investigation, so I don't think this story is a falsehood. It's a wonder, it's not being reported in our media too much.  I don't think it should be ignored and I apologize if it offends anyone's sensibilities. A CIA-trained agency did this, NOT the CIA itself.

This next story is from 5-6 days ago...now that the peace deal won't be pursued and is in limbo, it may be obsolete; but nonetheless, it is pertinent how if a peace deal in Afghanistan had gone through, we might have been seeking a greater CIA presence because of troops withdrawals.

Trump administration, military officials at odds over CIA's Afghanistan role: report
By Rebecca Klar - 09/02/19 01:33 PM EDT

The Trump administration and military officials may be in disagreement over the choice to keep CIA presence in Afghanistan if troops are pulled from the nation, according to a Monday New York Times report.

The Times reports that some White House advisers have proposed secretly expanding the agency’s presence in the nation — a move that some current and former officials have expressed skepticism about.

The CIA and White House did not comment for the story, but the newspaper said it based the report off interviews with half a dozen of current or former officials briefed on the discussions. The Hill reached out to the White House for comment.

Some officials told the paper they want CIA-backed forces in the country as part of a counterterrorism force. They claim it could quell worries that the U.S. will be left with little ability to prevent terrorist groups from using Afghanistan as a base of operations if the U.S. pulls troops, as President Trump suggested will happen last week.

Read more at:   https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/459635-trump-administration-military-officials-at-odds-over-cias-afghanistan

Ex-spy publishing book about undercover exploits without OK from CIA
Ken Dilanian

WASHINGTON — A former CIA officer who says she spent years under deep cover has written what appears to be one of the most revealing memoirs ever put to paper by an American intelligence operative — a book so intriguing that Apple bought the television rights even before its October publication date.

But the book, "Life Undercover: Coming of Age in the CIA," by Amaryllis Fox, has become embroiled in dual controversies.

Some former CIA officers who have learned about its contents are questioning its veracity, saying key details don't ring true. Some are casting doubt on the book's climactic scene, Fox's recounting of a dramatic solo meeting she says she had in Karachi, Pakistan, with al Qaeda-linked extremists.

Read more at: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/national-security/ex-cia-spy-readies-publish-book-without-approval-agency-n1050456

Ex-CIA chief, David Petraeus:

Putin is the greatest gift to NATO since the end of the Cold War, ex-CIA chief says
Matt Clinch

Russian President Vladimir Putin has given NATO a “reason to live again” and is one key factor behind the resurgence and improved capability of the military alliance.

Speaking at the Ambrosetti Forum in Italy on Friday, Gen. David Petraeus, a former CIA director, said that NATO is now more capable than it was even just a few years ago.

He explained that recent friction between member nations had actually galvanized cooperation and led to increased spending on defense, but he also said there were two other major factors at play.

Read more at: https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/06/david-petraeus-putin-is-the-greatest-gift-to-nato-since-cold-war.html

I remember how Petraeus was shuffled out of the picture... because of an affair? Maybe the affair could have endangered national security, I'll have to read up on it, it was a big deal for awhile. I thought it seemed like he was treated unfairly.

Another Obama hatchet job? Like on Senator Menendez possibly?