Author Topic: Stranded Bahamians wait to get off Abaco Island: 'Only animals can live here'  (Read 380 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Stranded Bahamians wait to get off Abaco Island: 'Only animals can live here'
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

Hundreds of Bahamians affected by Hurricane Dorian headed to the port at Grand Abaco on Friday in desperate hope of getting off the storm-ravaged island as the death toll rose to 43.

The number of dead is expected to continue rising once search teams – delayed by severe flooding – can access devastated areas. Many are stranded on the island as the pace of disaster relief continues to be slow.

Abaco Island is riddled with the bodies of people and animals and it smells of death, Fox News’ Steve Harrigan said Friday.

“Nothing is left here,” he said of the devastation.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/world/stranded-bahamas-abaco-island-devastated
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Idiot

Stranded Bahamians wait to get off Abaco Island: 'Only animals can live here'
By Brie Stimson | Fox News

Hundreds of Bahamians affected by Hurricane Dorian headed to the port at Grand Abaco on Friday in desperate hope of getting off the storm-ravaged island as the death toll rose to 43.

The number of dead is expected to continue rising once search teams – delayed by severe flooding – can access devastated areas. Many are stranded on the island as the pace of disaster relief continues to be slow.

Abaco Island is riddled with the bodies of people and animals and it smells of death, Fox News’ Steve Harrigan said Friday.

“Nothing is left here,” he said of the devastation.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/world/stranded-bahamas-abaco-island-devastated
How horrible!  May God comfort the survivors.

Offline Victoria33

@mystery-ak
@Cyber Liberty
@Applewood
@musiclady

Saw this morning 70,000 people are homeless on the involved islands.
I did a search last night to determine which islands in the Bahamas were involved in this.  Here is part of what I found:

On Abaco, people are killing each other for food/water.  It is true the smell of death is coming off that island before one gets to the island.  Thousands are likely dead on that island.  Trucks are being sent there loaded with refrigerated units in which to put dead bodies.

On other islands, people have guns protecting what is left of their homes/supplies as looting is happening.

In an emergency such as this, people go back to a time of kill or be killed for what you have in terms of water/food/shelter.

The UN World Food Program has sent 8 metric tons of Ready To Eat Meals.

Offline Applewood

@Victoria33  I don't think too many of us realize the full impact of this tragedy.  Even seeing the photos and videos of the destruction and loss of life doesn't help the extent of this tragedy to register. 

It has been said that the Bahamas go through these major hurricanes about once every 3 years.  But nothing in the people's experience with hurricanes could possibly prepare them for this.

I would believe that people will kill each other and take other desperate measures in times like this.  We like to think we are all too civilized.  But none of us has ever been in such dire straits.  We really don't know what we would do in such a situation.

There has been criticism of the government for not rescuing people and getting help to them.  But I've been to the Bahamas and I believe it's far better run than Puerto Rico.  It's just that this storm has been so overwhelming.    How can anyone rescue people or get food and water to them if roads are under water or blocked by debris, for example?  I think the Bahamas, the US, the UK and every aid organization are doing the best they can under such terrible circumstances. It's sad that so many people are starving and so many have died from the storm or will die because help won't reach them in time.  But I don't know that it can be helped. 

All we can do is pray.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Will the reason for this devastation, be claimed to be too many rich white people in Alabama eating red meat and using plastic straws?

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline LadyLiberty

IN the Abacos, the USCG has been there doing search and evac by helicopter as soon as they were able to get there.  BahamasAir has been flying in and evacuating survivors to Eleuthera and Nassau for the past few days. Ferry service started today to evacuated more to Nassau. It's going to take awhile, though.  Meanwhile, there are several humanitarian aid organizations with boots on the ground with food, water, desalinization plants, medicine, and other supplies until they can get the survivors relocated.  The Bahamian military moved in and are trying to keep the peace.

On Grand Bahama Island / Freeport a small cruise ship came in with aid workers, medical personel, food, supplies, and Bahamians who were stranded in the US during the storm who wanted to get back and survey the damage to their property. They took 1100 Bahamians back to Palm Beach who were met by local charities, including one made of Bahamians who are legal residents in the area.  There is a large Bahamian population there who will be happy to take them in.  The cruise ship could have taken 1900 passengers, but they were limited to only those who had valid passports with a US visa, so these are people who already had a legal way to visit the US.  There are cruise ships making stops there to offload 10 - 20k meals at a time instead of making another regularly scheduled port of call.  A ship from the Royal Bahamian Navy and the Royal Bahamian Defense Forces  arrived this morning to unload hundreds of boxes of supplies from USAID.  On the side of every box "USAID US Aid from the American People."

It appears to me that parts of the Abacos are being ignored and Freeport is getting most of the attention.  Lots of dead bodies are not in the official count, and heartbreaking stories abound.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 06:01:06 pm by LadyLiberty »

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Help those people if possible, but...
DON'T BRING THEM HERE!

(It will be but a short matter of time before the left wants to start offering them "asylum"...)

Offline LadyLiberty

Help those people if possible, but...
DON'T BRING THEM HERE!

(It will be but a short matter of time before the left wants to start offering them "asylum"...)

I don't know how you would stop them from coming since they are already here and they came legally.  They had entry visas to visit the US issued by the State Dept through our US Embassy there that were issued before any of this ever happened.  It costs $160 and is good for 10 years, so they already come here periodically to visit friends and relatives.  The cruise ship took 300 back to Freeport who were stranded here as visitors and wanted to get back to survey any property damage, since no flights are available because the airports are currently restricted to the relief efforts.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 11:38:50 pm by LadyLiberty »