Author Topic: STAY INSIDE: Multiple active shooters reported in Midland, Odessa...updated  (Read 8286 times)

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Re: STAY INSIDE: Multiple active shooters reported in Midland, Odessa...updated
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2019, 12:32:17 am »
Texas shooter got gun at private sale; denied in 2014 check

ODESSA, Texas (AP) — The gunman in a West Texas rampage that left seven dead obtained his AR-style rifle through a private sale, allowing him to evade a federal background check that blocked him from getting a gun in 2014 due to a "mental health issue," a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

The official spoke to The Associated Press Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation. The person did not say when and where the private sale took place.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/neighbor-texas-gunman-violent-aggressive-050410560.html

Here comes the full on attack on private sales.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 12:33:05 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2019, 12:35:42 am »
I would really like to understand this.  He is acting badly at work, gets fired for his actions and his response is to acquire a gun (apparently illegally) and go around randomly shooting strangers?  How does that work?

He failed the background check back in 2014. I have not seen when he purchased the rifle. It could have been years ago.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2019, 04:02:39 am »
He failed the background check back in 2014. I have not seen when he purchased the rifle. It could have been years ago.
Not knowing when that purchase was made, it could have even antedated the failed background check.

Unfortunately, these incidents are each building toward the aims of the anti-gun cadre:

Banning AR and other semiauto rifles.
Banning magazines which hold more than X cartridges, X being some arbitrary number far less than the standard magazines these firearms were designed to use.
Ending lawful private sales without documentation and background checks.
Ultimately, Red Flag laws, registration, and confiscation.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #178 on: September 04, 2019, 12:18:47 pm »
At this point all they know is he didn't purchase the rifle from a FFL holder. They don't know how he came into possession of it. He could have even stolen it.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #179 on: September 04, 2019, 12:34:18 pm »
Not knowing when that purchase was made, it could have even antedated the failed background check.

Unfortunately, these incidents are each building toward the aims of the anti-gun cadre:

Banning AR and other semiauto rifles.
Banning magazines which hold more than X cartridges, X being some arbitrary number far less than the standard magazines these firearms were designed to use.
Ending lawful private sales without documentation and background checks.
Ultimately, Red Flag laws, registration, and confiscation.
Mr. M and I were discussing this, as he owns a .38 he bought from a private, non-FFL person. What will they do, require a potential buyer to submit background check forms to the government, and then show them to the seller before the government will let Joe Citizen sell the gun? Make everyone who currently owns a gun and may in the distant future sell it to submit forms?

In Mr. M's case, the seller was known as "Crazy Ray," but that's another story ... at least we were able to find out the gun hadn't been used in any murders.  :laugh:
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline thackney

« Reply #180 on: September 04, 2019, 01:24:38 pm »
Mr. M and I were discussing this, as he owns a .38 he bought from a private, non-FFL person. What will they do, require a potential buyer to submit background check forms to the government, and then show them to the seller before the government will let Joe Citizen sell the gun? Make everyone who currently owns a gun and may in the distant future sell it to submit forms?

In Mr. M's case, the seller was known as "Crazy Ray," but that's another story ... at least we were able to find out the gun hadn't been used in any murders.  :laugh:

Most likely we would be required to go to a local FFL and pay them to do a transfer, similar to buying an online gun and picking it up from a local FFL.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

« Reply #181 on: September 04, 2019, 02:00:41 pm »
Most likely we would be required to go to a local FFL and pay them to do a transfer, similar to buying an online gun and picking it up from a local FFL.
In Erie County NYS You had to take a class to get your Carry permit. After that you had to purchase a pistol from a dealer. They would give you a receipt, but not the pistol. You took the receipt to the county office and they gave you a "coupon" to receive the gun. You then went back and picked it up. After that you could get coupons in advance if you were going to a gun show. If you purchased from an FFL you handed him the coupon and he handed you the pistol. You then had to go back to the county building to have it added to your permit. PITA.
Here in VA I go to the store or show, they do the NICS check charge me $2 and it is all good.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline thackney

« Reply #182 on: September 04, 2019, 02:12:25 pm »
In Erie County NYS You had to take a class to get your Carry permit. After that you had to purchase a pistol from a dealer. They would give you a receipt, but not the pistol. You took the receipt to the county office and they gave you a "coupon" to receive the gun. You then went back and picked it up. After that you could get coupons in advance if you were going to a gun show. If you purchased from an FFL you handed him the coupon and he handed you the pistol. You then had to go back to the county building to have it added to your permit. PITA.
Here in VA I go to the store or show, they do the NICS check charge me $2 and it is all good.

In Erie County NYS, is it illegal to make a private sale?

edit:

Nevermind, I found it.  They require the register of transfer, background check required if not a family member.

http://www2.erie.gov/clerk/sites/www2.erie.gov.clerk/files/uploads/pdfs/Pistol%20Bill%20of%20Sale_2018.pdf
« Last Edit: September 04, 2019, 02:16:28 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline verga

« Reply #183 on: September 04, 2019, 02:44:22 pm »
In Erie County NYS, is it illegal to make a private sale?

edit:

Nevermind, I found it.  They require the register of transfer, background check required if not a family member.

http://www2.erie.gov/clerk/sites/www2.erie.gov.clerk/files/uploads/pdfs/Pistol%20Bill%20of%20Sale_2018.pdf
You can get your permit when you turn 18, but can't purchase from an FFL dealer. I know of people that would Purchase from the dealer for an 18 year old friend or relative and then jump through the hoops to do a LEGAL private sale.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #184 on: September 04, 2019, 05:12:48 pm »
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/3/seth-ator-private-purchase-gun-allowed-odessa-shoo/

Odessa shooter purchased gun through private sale evading a background check

By Paul J. Weber and Jake Bleiberg and Michael Balsamo - Associated Press
Tuesday, September 3, 2019

ODESSA, Texas — The gunman in a West Texas rampage that left seven dead obtained his AR-style rifle through a private sale, allowing him to evade a federal background check that blocked him from getting a gun in 2014 due to a “mental health issue,” a law enforcement official told The Associated Press.

The official spoke to The Associated Press Tuesday on condition of anonymity because the person was not authorized to discuss an ongoing investigation. The person did not say when and where the private sale took place.

More at URL above:

Poster's note:
You can see where this is goin'.
Universal background checks... for ALL "private" gun transactions.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #185 on: September 04, 2019, 06:29:58 pm »
After mass shooting, Texas Chick-fil-A employees stayed late to feed first responders

According to the post, Chick-fil-A planned to close early following the shooting so employees could be with their families. However, as the employees walking out, the restaurant saw an opportunity to feed local law enforcement.

The team was given an option to help, and no one said no.

"Partnering with Chick-fil-A Odessa Town Center they cooked 500 sandwiches and packaged them with the most joyful hearts and a lot of love. Sometimes light in a dark world looks as simple as a hot chicken sandwich. We just couldn't be prouder of these helpers and their hearts of gold," the post read.

This is getting some national coverage. I'm guessing that the employees, when given the choice, decided they could call their families via cell phone (or use FB) to assure them they were OK, but those sandwiches would not make themselves.

An open-ended, I-don't-know-the-answer question, stories about CfA stores doing this are common, but how often do other chains or single-location restaurants do something like this?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.