Author Topic: Trump says administration looking 'seriously' at ending birthright citizenship  (Read 4000 times)

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I overwhelmingly support this position.  This premise served us well as a growing country, needing the people for homesteads, and labor.

Now?  we are full...   No vacancies.  Add the fact we are $22T in debt, we just can't afford freeloaders, who abuse and game the system.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline GrouchoTex

It would take a law being passed, and reviewed.
Supreme Court ruled on this around 1890(?).
I don't thing the current congress has the will to try it.

Offline kidd

This is more important than the wall.
If he can enact this, it'll make up for his blunder on the wall

Bill Cipher

This is more important than the wall.
If he can enact this, it'll make up for his blunder on the wall

Not happening.  Neither the Congress nor a sufficient number of the States will ratify an amendment to the Constitution to undo the 14th Amendment. 

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Not happening.  Neither the Congress nor a sufficient number of the States will ratify an amendment to the Constitution to undo the 14th Amendment.

But there is no need to undo the 14th so your strawman doest work @Bill Cipher
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 01:37:09 pm by Bigun »

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

Me too!  It is being abused by many countries and is a cottage industry for China and others.

No kidding. I seriously doubt the framers had 'pregnancy holidays' in mind when they wrote 'all those born within the US and subject to the jurisdiction thereof'.

Offline jpsb

So Trump is going to amend the Constitution?

Under the Jurisdiction of.

executive order says people here illegally are not under the US jurisdiction for citizenship.

Offline jpsb

/snicker

There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.

The purpose of the 14th was to give citizenship to the former slaves. It is being abused and I am totally in favor of
correcting that abuse.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Under the Jurisdiction of.

executive order says people here illegally are not under the US jurisdiction for citizenship.

People who are here illegally have never been under the sole and complete jurisdiction of the US.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

This was ruled by the Supreme Court, an Asian man (Chinese, I think) in favor of birthright citizenship, in the 19th century.
Not sure an EO can undo it.
I think a law would need to be passed by congress.
Then, "Under the Jurisdiction of" would need to have a 2nd look by the courts.
Unfortunately, I would not be too hopeful that is would reach the desired outcome.
Will we never know until it is tried, and I do not think this current congress has the make up or the will to do such a thing.

Offline jpsb

People who are here illegally have never been under the sole and complete jurisdiction of the US.

Agreed we need one more conservative judge on the Supreme Court and then Trump can issue an executive order, Dems will take it to the courts and lose in the Supreme Court. One more reason to vote Trump in 2020.

Offline skeeter

This was ruled by the Supreme Court, an Asian man (Chinese, I think) in favor of birthright citizenship, in the 19th century.
Unfortunately, I would not be too hopeful that is would reach the desired outcome.
Will we never know until it is tried, and I do not think this current congress has the make up or the will to do such a thing.

Wong Kim Ark was born of parents in the US legally. While this part might not be changeable by EO certainly it is possible to prevent those who's parents are illegal or who aren't legal residents from taking advantage of birthright citizenship.

Offline Mod5

Topic merged.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

Supreme Court decisions
The correct interpretation of the 14th Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.

Over a century ago, the Supreme Court appropriately confirmed this restricted interpretation of citizenship in the so-called "Slaughter-House cases" [83 US 36 (1873) and 112 US 94 (1884)]13. In the 1884 Elk v.Wilkins case12, the phrase "subject to its jurisdiction" was interpreted to exclude "children of ministers, consuls, and citizens of foreign states born within the United States." In Elk, the American Indian claimant was considered not an American citizen because the law required him to be "not merely subject in some respect or degree to the jurisdiction of the United States, but completely subject to their political jurisdiction and owing them direct and immediate allegiance."

The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens.

Congress subsequently passed a special act to grant full citizenship to American Indians, who were not citizens even through they were born within the borders of the United States. The Citizens Act of 1924, codified in 8USCSß1401, provides that:

The following shall be nationals and citizens of the United States at birth:
(a) a person born in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof;
(b) a person born in the United States to a member of an Indian, Eskimo, Aleutian, or other aboriginal tribe.

In 1898, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case10,11, 16 once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14th Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14th Amendment.

The original intent of the 14th Amendment was clearly not to facilitate illegal aliens defying U.S. law and obtaining citizenship for their offspring, nor obtaining benefits at taxpayer expense. Current estimates indicate there may be between 300,000 and 700,000 anchor babies born each year in the U.S., thus causing illegal alien mothers to add more to the U.S. population each year than immigration from all sources in an average year before 1965. (See consequences.)

https://www.14thamendment.us/birthright_citizenship/original_intent.html

@GrouchoTex

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline GrouchoTex

@Bigun

Thanks for that!

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Unfortunately, "Original Intent" and five bucks will get you a Starbucks.  OI has disappeared in the puff of a penumbra and emanation.  Nobody in black robes gives a crap about original intent anymore, so long as they can twist words to elicit the desired liberal outcome.  Advantage:  Leftists who consider the Constitution a lump of clay to be molded in any shape they like.  Conservatives don't have that advantage because they want the Constitution followed, not molded.

Once the meanings of the words are distorted such, it's difficult to restore the shape because any attempt to right the wrong in the courts is rubbished as hypocritical judicial activism, and any attempt to fix it with either Congressional or Executive action is slapped down by the courts.  This is what we are seeing today with the endless stream of universal Injunctions issued by the lowest level National Courts.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Unfortunately, "Original Intent" and five bucks will get you a Starbucks.  OI has disappeared in the puff of a penumbra and emanation.  Nobody in black robes gives a crap about original intent anymore, so long as they can twist words to elicit the desired liberal outcome.  Advantage:  Leftists who consider the Constitution a lump of clay to be molded in any shape they like.  Conservatives don't have that advantage because they want the Constitution followed, not molded.

Once the meanings of the words are distorted such, it's difficult to restore the shape because any attempt to right the wrong in the courts is rubbished as hypocritical judicial activism, and any attempt to fix it with either Congressional or Executive action is slapped down by the courts.  This is what we are seeing today with the endless stream of universal Injunctions issued by the lowest level National Courts.

And yet SCOTUS has never said anything other than the status of the parents is paramount in determining the citizenship of the child @Cyber Liberty.  Not once!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And yet SCOTUS has never said anything other than the status of the parents is paramount in determining the citizenship of the child @Cyber Liberty.  Not once!

Who needs a SCOTUS decision when there are hundreds of low-level National Court Judges with the same power as SCOTUS in inflicting their will on an entire country? rrthree
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
Who needs a SCOTUS decision when there are hundreds of low-level National Court Judges with the same power as SCOTUS in inflicting their will on an entire country? rrthree

And that S&^% needs to stop RFN!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And that S&^% needs to stop RFN!

Since it's not likely the Congressional swamp will stop it (because they like the results), it will take a SCOTUS decision and I don't see one forthcoming because they like having the lowest National Courts do the heavy lifting of tyrannical decisions.  9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Bill Cipher

But there is no need to undo the 14th so your strawman doest work @Bill Cipher

There are none so blind as those who will not see. 

The 14th Amendment clearly and unequivocally grants birthright citizenship to everyone other than the children of ambassadors, foreign government officials on official business, and, at least when it was enacted, so-called “wild Indians” who were members of conquered tribes with which the US had signed treaties insofar as they resides in the territories or on reservations.

The mere fact that you do not like that result matters not one iota to the fact that it IS the result under the 14th Amendment.

But, if you want to continue making a mockery of conservativism, and want Trump to be made to look like and idiot once again, please do continue.   

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

/snicker

There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see.
an absolutely predictable and appropriate response to a legitimate question.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

There are none so blind as those who will not see. 

The 14th Amendment clearly and unequivocally grants birthright citizenship to everyone other than the children of ambassadors, foreign government officials on official business, and, at least when it was enacted, so-called “wild Indians” who were members of conquered tribes with which the US had signed treaties insofar as they resides in the territories or on reservations.

The mere fact that you do not like that result matters not one iota to the fact that it IS the result under the 14th Amendment.

But, if you want to continue making a mockery of conservativism, and want Trump to be made to look like and idiot once again, please do continue.

So, take your blinders off, Bill.