Author Topic: Romney helps GOP look for new path on climate change  (Read 1965 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Romney helps GOP look for new path on climate change
« on: March 25, 2019, 11:44:21 am »
The Hill, Mar 24, 2019

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), who is emerging as a pragmatic leader among Senate Republicans, is at the center of private discussions among GOP senators about crafting a legislative response to climate change.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) has tried to put the focus on Senate Republicans for not having a plan to combat global warming, which has been linked to erratic weather events costing American communities billions of dollars in damages.

Amid that backdrop, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R), who represents coal-rich Kentucky, is at the forefront of efforts to roll back federal regulations on coal-powered energy, making him a close ally of President Trump on that issue.

But a group of Republicans -- Romney and Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) and Lindsey Graham (S.C.), who worked with Democrats in 2009 and 2010 to cap carbon emissions, as well as others -- have taken it upon themselves to come up with market-based approaches to addressing climate change.

“There’s no question that we’re experiencing climate change and that humans are a significant contributor to that,” Romney told The Hill. “In my view, the course forward is going to require innovation and technology breakthrough because nothing I’ve seen is going to reverse the warming trend other than that.”

More:  https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/435328-romney-helps-gop-look-for-new-path-on-climate-change

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Romney helps GOP look for new path on climate change
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 01:45:29 pm »
 **nononono* **nononono* **nononono*
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline libertybele

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 06:10:58 pm »
I really regret ever publicly admitting that I liked Romney.  Definitely not so much anymore.  Not at all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 07:21:37 pm »
"pragmatic leader" is code for adopting the democrats' position.

Manmade "climate change,"is not proved. It is mere speculation.

If it is proved you will see solid science, in the form of actions to deal with REAL RISING SEA LEVELS, etc.

So far I have not heard of such measures.

What I have heard of, is abandonement of the Calif. Train to Nowhere, save the vital Bakersfield to Merced leg, and talk of the first dams/reservoirs in 40 years, to cope with periodic heavvy snowfall/runoff.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline rustynail

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 07:35:27 pm »
Needs to be set adrift on an ice flow.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 08:01:23 pm »
The Hill, Mar 24, 2019

Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah), who is emerging as a pragmatic leader among Senate Republicans, is at the center of private discussions among GOP senators about crafting a legislative response to climate change.

Senate Democratic Leader Charles Schumer (N.Y.) has tried to put the focus on Senate Republicans for not having a plan to combat global warming, which has been linked to erratic weather events costing American communities billions of dollars in damages.

Amid that backdrop, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R), who represents coal-rich Kentucky, is at the forefront of efforts to roll back federal regulations on coal-powered energy, making him a close ally of President Trump on that issue.

But a group of Republicans -- Romney and Sens. Lamar Alexander (Tenn.) and Lindsey Graham (S.C.), who worked with Democrats in 2009 and 2010 to cap carbon emissions, as well as others -- have taken it upon themselves to come up with market-based approaches to addressing climate change.

“There’s no question that we’re experiencing climate change and that humans are a significant contributor to that,” Romney told The Hill. “In my view, the course forward is going to require innovation and technology breakthrough because nothing I’ve seen is going to reverse the warming trend other than that.”

More:  https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/435328-romney-helps-gop-look-for-new-path-on-climate-change
-----------------------------
Ah Willard the Science Maven of climate change and global warming. Who knew???
A reflection.
Man and everything on this earth is finite/mortal and the Ancients guessed it's age.
Then in 1926, science gave us the answer via provable radio-carbon dating of the
isotopic elements in the Earth; confirming the number at 4,540,000,000 years.
For 99%+ of that time, Man neither walked the Earth nor were any records of observation
produced yet our political schmucks insist they know what is going on and it ain't good.
Why of course they do!!!!
The hallmark of Nature is cyclical change and the cold reality is that we are experiencing
it again despite the hysteria from those desperate for attention.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 05:07:14 pm by Absalom »

Online roamer_1

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2019, 10:03:15 pm »
A reflection.
Man and everything on this earth is mortal and the Ancients guessed as to it's age.
Then in 1926, science gave us the answer via provable radio-carbon dating of the
For 99%+ of that time, Man neither walked the Earth nor were any records of observation
produced yet our political schmucks insist they know what is going on and it ain't good.
The hallmark of Nature is cyclical change and the cold reality is that we are experiencing

It ain't even that. Folks live their entire lives in a climate controlled false environment, eating chunked and formed pre-packaged foods in concrete canyons or the sprawl of suburbia.

The glamour they are all under, to include the scientists, is a self-sustaining lie.  They could not understand the truth of the natural environment if they tried.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2019, 03:14:30 am »
"pragmatic leader" is code for adopting the democrats' position.

Manmade "climate change,"is not proved. It is mere speculation.

If it is proved you will see solid science, in the form of actions to deal with REAL RISING SEA LEVELS, etc.

So far I have not heard of such measures.

What I have heard of, is abandonement of the Calif. Train to Nowhere, save the vital Bakersfield to Merced leg, and talk of the first dams/reservoirs in 40 years, to cope with periodic heavvy snowfall/runoff.

Speculation? More like Science Fiction.

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 03:21:40 am »
A reflection.
Man and everything on this earth is mortal and the Ancients guessed as to it's age.
There is a record. Oh, not so much nor often from year to year, but overall, the history of the planet is written in the rocks that were formed (or eroded away).
After 40 years of studying the last 600,000,000 years (give or take a few million) of those, one thing has become apparent. There really has been very little of this planet's history that surface conditions were favorable to, or even survivable by humans.  During those Eras, the forces which shaped mountains and eroded them away, which built continents and tore them asunder continued to wreak their particular havoc on this planet without any assistance from humans whatsoever. When humans are gone, they will continue to do so, and there isn't one bloody thing humans can do about that, one way or another, except adapt or die. Otherwise, we're just along for the ride, climate and all.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2019, 04:18:05 am »
There is a record. Oh, not so much nor often from year to year, but overall, the history of the planet is written in the rocks that were formed (or eroded away).
After 40 years of studying the last 600,000,000 years (give or take a few million) of those, one thing has become apparent. There really has been very little of this planet's history that surface conditions were favorable to, or even survivable by humans.  During those Eras, the forces which shaped mountains and eroded them away, which built continents and tore them asunder continued to wreak their particular havoc on this planet without any assistance from humans whatsoever. When humans are gone, they will continue to do so, and there isn't one bloody thing humans can do about that, one way or another, except adapt or die. Otherwise, we're just along for the ride, climate and all.

George put it best....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2019, 09:52:40 am »
I know a path Mittens should take.....
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2019, 02:12:00 pm »
I know a path Mittens should take.....

Does it have a short pier at the end?

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2019, 02:15:11 pm »
Romney's audience has left the building. He's playing to an empty house & doesn't know it.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 02:29:27 pm »
If Mitt and the other believers in the man made climate change myth want to do something beneficial for the cause they should try holding their breath.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2019, 02:35:55 pm »
Does it have a short pier at the end?

That or another one if the Mormons believe in a "Hell"
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Idiot

« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2019, 02:41:08 pm »
Well said.........

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:43 pm »
That or another one if the Mormons believe in a "Hell"

We call it the outer darkness!

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2019, 05:26:40 pm »
It ain't even that. Folks live their entire lives in a climate controlled false environment, eating chunked and formed pre-packaged foods in concrete canyons or the sprawl of suburbia.

The glamour they are all under, to include the scientists, is a self-sustaining lie.  They could not understand the truth of the natural environment if they tried.
Well done, Roamer, as your last comment is insightful and wise.
The wisdom of Natural Law and certainly not economics,
not politics and not religion, governed Man from his first days
allowing him to mature and thrive.
Ironically Principled Conservatism evolved from the Natural Law,
as Kirk pointed out.
Our morass will continue to deepen until we recover ageless
wisdom and free ourselves from pious and sanctimonious cant;
the language of our political schmucks!!!

Offline berdie

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2019, 11:37:05 pm »
George put it best....

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Just wondering if you could sent that to Mitt?
He may not have ever seen it. :)

Online roamer_1

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 01:03:03 am »
Well done, Roamer, as your last comment is insightful and wise.
The wisdom of Natural Law and certainly not economics,
not politics and not religion, governed Man from his first days
allowing him to mature and thrive.
Ironically Principled Conservatism evolved from the Natural Law,
as Kirk pointed out.
Our morass will continue to deepen until we recover ageless
wisdom and free ourselves from pious and sanctimonious cant;
the language of our political schmucks!!!

Thank you for your kind reply.  :beer:

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 04:25:24 am »
Thank you for your kind reply.  :beer:
I agree. People who live in artificial constructs think they control nature even beyond the borders of their artificial word.
They don't even know what they don't know.

C S Lewis

Offline Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:03 pm »
I agree. People who live in artificial constructs think they control nature even beyond the borders of their artificial word.
They don't even know what they don't know.

I had my eyes opened wide about this FACT some years ago when I was called in as an independent consultant in the investigation of a major industrial accident. The OSHA people running around that site were absolute proof positive of what you said.  And the final report that was written - the official record - is a complete whitewash of what actually happened. 

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 02:02:58 pm »
Romney helps GOP look for new path on Flat Earth

It's not that the Earth is flat NOW but that it could flatten in the future, causing half the people on the Earth to fall off. We need a plan to make sure this doesn't happen.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 08:52:20 pm »
There was a noted scientist on with Levin that made it precisely clear that climate change is largely a hoax, with the scientists pushing this nonsense using data models that are all eroneous but one.  And the correct data model, which is from Russia, does not reflect climate change at all.  This was an American scientist by the way.  He sounded very credible.

So Romney joined the clown car act.  Any surprise there?

Offline libertybele

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 12:10:39 am »
Maybe Romney can get a few tips from Al Gore.  :cool:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.