Author Topic: Rubio to introduce legislation to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats  (Read 1152 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Rubio to introduce legislation to keep Supreme Court at 9 seats
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 09:00:11 pm »
"Gangs" in the Senate are always formed to create majorities for Bills that would not otherwise exist.  You may say "uniting," I choose to say they are "divisive" because it drives a wedge between the DeeCee politicians and the people who voted for them.  That's why I don't like "Gangs" in the Senate. 

"Gangs," almost without exception, are designed to force Republicans to agree to Democrat objectives.  Rubio's "Gang of Eight" was not an exception to this rule of thumb.  That's not compromise, it's capitulation.

Okay, and we still don't have inmigration reform and every package offered since is largely the same thing.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2019, 09:16:33 pm »
We don't have jack and the news right now is that migrants are being let out of detention centers, they are so full. Maybe some deal should have been struck and we wouldn't have this going on.

Gang of 8 is close to what Trump offered, pay back-taxes, wait 15 years to vote (not sure of exact details), things like that..

But no...and it sounds like with the most recent budget, capitulation is already done.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2019, 10:09:51 pm »
Okay, and we still don't have inmigration reform and every package offered since is largely the same thing.

Everything offered has been a loss for America, so good.  Proof that there are still DeeCee politicians looking out for their constituents.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:36 pm »
I see plenty of motivation.  He's from a state that has a large leftist population so he has a tightrope he has to walk if he wants to hold on to his sinecure.  That means a lot of talking out of both of his faces.

He already voted against Garland, and for Kavanaugh.  And voting to expand the Supreme Court to something more than 9 won't appeal to swing voters anyway.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2019, 10:35:05 pm »
He already voted against Garland, and for Kavanaugh.  And voting to expand the Supreme Court to something more than 9 won't appeal to swing voters anyway.

I don't think stacking the court will fly.  It's plain to see what will happen, to even the most casual observer.  The Rats say they want to increase the Court by 6, to 15 Justices.  The next Republican would increase it by at least 12 to regain balance, the next Dem by 24 and so on.  It would be a geometric progresssion of increases, with the Court eventually having more Justices than there are Senators, and beyond.

It's an extremely bad precedent, creating a new Legislative branch with even more power, and the voters won't stand for it.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:37:54 pm by Cyber Liberty »
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2019, 10:44:12 pm »
Everything offered has been a loss for America, so good.  Proof that there are still DeeCee politicians looking out for their constituents.

They aren't looking out for their constituents if they are getting killed by illegals and if one makes it that the Democrats could make them all legal when they next control  congress and the presidency.

Online libertybele

« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2019, 10:48:06 pm »
I don't think stacking the court will fly.  It's plain to see what will happen, to even the most casual observer.  The Rats say they want to increase the Court by 6, to 15 Justices.  The next Republican would increase it by at least 12 to regain balance, the next Dem by 24 and so on.  It would be a geometric progresssion of increases, with the Court eventually having more Justices than there are Senators, and beyond.

It's an extremely bad precedent, creating a new Legislative branch with even more power, and the voters won't stand for it.

Voters won't stand for it??  Since when have the voters actually held their Congressmen responsible??

It's not up to the voters, it's up to the RINO's, leftists and what's left of conservatives in Congress.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2019, 10:50:41 pm »
Voters won't stand for it??  Since when have the voters actually held their Congressmen responsible??

It's not up to the voters, it's up to the RINO's, leftists and what's left of conservatives in Congress.

Let a Senator or Representative vote to pack the court and let's just see how they get "rewarded" by the voters.  A lot of sinecures would be burned.
I will NOT comply.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 10:52:33 pm »
They aren't looking out for their constituents if they are getting killed by illegals and if one makes it that the Democrats could make them all legal when they next control  congress and the presidency.

Compromising with the Rats, even a little bit, would have made the current invasion even worse.  That's why the Rats are so dependent on the Courts to force their will upon the country.  Blame them if you think the situation is so terrible.
I will NOT comply.

Online libertybele

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 10:52:33 pm »
Let a Senator or Representative vote to pack the court and let's just see how they get "rewarded" by the voters.  A lot of sinecures would be burned.

Not going to step the DEMS.  That's exactly what their voters want along with doing away with the electoral college.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2019, 10:53:41 pm »
Not going to step the DEMS.  That's exactly what their voters want along with doing away with the electoral college.

We'll see.  I haven't given up on the USA just yet.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2019, 10:59:35 pm »
This should be something that even those "RINOS" should be able to vote for, Collins, Murkowski and no disrespect meant, Romney and a few others.

Even with every Republican on board, you would still need 14 Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline TomSea

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2019, 11:01:28 pm »
Bambi Larson, another American killed by an illegal, on the Salem Broadcasters all day, Gorka and Elder,

And besides, compromises, capitulations have been made. It might have been better to have made a deal years ago for all we know,

We might have a secure border, less fentanyl/heroin coming through which means more lives saved and so on. This has been debate for 12 years at least, nothing happens on it.

Friend Of San Jose Homicide Victim Bambi Larson Demands Justice

SAN JOSE (CBS SF) — The friend of a San Jose woman murdered in her own home by an undocumented immigrant with a long criminal record on Monday said Bambi Larson’s accused killer deserves the death penalty.

https://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2019/03/18/friend-san-jose-homicide-victim-bambi-larson-demands-justice/

Just keep kicking the can down the road.

That would be one thing if you were talking about actually getting it done, it's not getting done, little is being done and because of the obstinate nature of the Dems, illegals are flooding in, what? 400 in El Paso in 5 minutes.

Yes, your principles are getting a lot done.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:06:20 pm by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2019, 11:02:27 pm »
Even with every Republican on board, you would still need 14 Democrats.

It then would still have to clear the House.  Not going to happen.  The DEMS will in turn introduce legislation to pack the courts .... after the 2020 elections.  If they don't take the Senate and/or the White House, they will wait.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2019, 11:08:27 pm »
Anyway, the original argument was about tarring and feather Rubio for being in the gang of 8. Well, that's about 8 years ago and nothing has been done on the border and if the Dems get back in power of congress and the presidency, there's no way the number of citizens they make can ever be overcome.

I'm not saying Rubio was right, but I'm not going to condemn him, especially when the anti-immigrant crowd has offered no better alternatives.

Here it is, El Paso, 400 illegals in 24 hours.

That question was partially answered Tuesday after agents in the El Paso sector apprehended more than 400 people in less than 24 hours — part of a trend that's seen an average of 570 apprehensions a day in the sector over the last month.

https://www.texastribune.org/2019/03/20/border-migrant-apprehensions-el-paso-strains-shelters-volunteers/

Doing nothing is of little help either.  And it could give Democrats the chance to open up the whole country.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:28:43 pm by TomSea »

Online libertybele

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2019, 11:25:47 pm »
Anyway, the original argument was about tarring and feather Rubio for being in the gang of 8. Well, that's about 8 years ago and nothing has been done on the border and if the Dems get back in power of congress and the presidency, there's no way the number of citizens they make can ever be overcome.

I'm not saying Rubio was right, but I'm not going to condemn him, especially when the anti-immigrant crowd has offered no better alternatives.

Which is exactly why Trump should have stepped up his game on this issue on day one and that has been my major disappointment with him.

Building a wall and mass deportation along with NO migration to this country till we can enforce and improve existing laws IS a solution.  The DEMS now hold the majority in the House -- so that ship has unfortunately sailed.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2019, 11:27:30 pm »

"Anti-Immigrant?"  Don't look now but your choice of words  puts you neatly in lockstep with the leftists, both in Congress and the press.  In case you didn't notice we have an ILLEGAL immigrant problem.

And you will have a very long wait if you expect people to forgive Rubio for jumping in the sack with McStain and Flake and the Rats.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 11:49:53 pm by Cyber Liberty »
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2019, 11:33:27 pm »
I have observed that a lot of red meat legislation tends to get filed with the person or persons filing it know damned well that the chances for passage are absolutely zero.  Just thought you might be interested in knowing that.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2019, 11:48:56 pm »
I have observed that a lot of red meat legislation tends to get filed with the person or persons filing it know damned well that the chances for passage are absolutely zero.  Just thought you might be interested in knowing that.

That's why the House Republicans are pleased as punch to be back in the minority, and the ones in the Senate are pining for a return to that state.

9999hair out0000
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2019, 12:49:23 am »
This is a typical "Rubio move".
That is to say, stupid and pointless.
It will go nowhere in the current Congress.

Having said that, it MIGHT go somewhere if it arose in an Article V Convention of the States.

But any amendment that addresses The Court ought to address the idea of term limits for federal judges and Supreme Court Justices as well.

Federal judges, including appellate seat - term limit of 20 years for any single confirmation. After 20 years, the president can request a simple yes/no reconfirmation vote (NO hearings), for 10 additional years.
MANDATORY RETIREMENT at age 70.

Supreme Court justices - term limit of 25 years. Renomination and reconfirmation for an additional 5 years by yes/no vote (again, NO hearings).
MANDATORY RETIREMENT at age 73.

Amendment establishes size of U.S. Supreme Court at 9 seats.

How's that?

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2019, 03:25:03 am »
Sen Rubio is an idiot.  When we have so many real issues in this country, this fool wants to pass a piece of legislation that says we should keep what we already have in the Supreme Court.  Ah yes, that is time well spent representing Americans.

The USA is being invaded by ever increasing illegal aliens...Congress does nothing.

We have a deficit budget EVERY year, but hey, that is fine with these fools in Congress.

We have 60,000 lives lost every year from opiods, but hey let's focus on legislating what we already have.

Rubio comes across as wet behind the ears, and I do not want to see him in any leadership position.

No mystery why Congress has such low ratings.  Rubio brings nothing to the party.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2019, 03:49:20 am »
This is a typical "Rubio move".
That is to say, stupid and pointless.
It will go nowhere in the current Congress.

Having said that, it MIGHT go somewhere if it arose in an Article V Convention of the States.

But any amendment that addresses The Court ought to address the idea of term limits for federal judges and Supreme Court Justices as well.

Federal judges, including appellate seat - term limit of 20 years for any single confirmation. After 20 years, the president can request a simple yes/no reconfirmation vote (NO hearings), for 10 additional years.
MANDATORY RETIREMENT at age 70.

Supreme Court justices - term limit of 25 years. Renomination and reconfirmation for an additional 5 years by yes/no vote (again, NO hearings).
MANDATORY RETIREMENT at age 73.

Amendment establishes size of U.S. Supreme Court at 9 seats.

How's that?

I like the "No Hearings" parts. Now that the Rats have established the precedent of voting against every nomination for partisan reasons, I can't imagine hearings making any difference besides wasting everybody's time.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2019, 12:16:25 pm »
Sen Rubio is an idiot.  When we have so many real issues in this country, this fool wants to pass a piece of legislation that says we should keep what we already have in the Supreme Court.  Ah yes, that is time well spent representing Americans.

The USA is being invaded by ever increasing illegal aliens...Congress does nothing.

We have a deficit budget EVERY year, but hey, that is fine with these fools in Congress.

We have 60,000 lives lost every year from opiods, but hey let's focus on legislating what we already have.

Rubio comes across as wet behind the ears, and I do not want to see him in any leadership position.

No mystery why Congress has such low ratings.  Rubio brings nothing to the party.

You've got your facts wrong.

Rubio is not trying to pass legislation to keep the Supreme Court at 9.  That would indeed be pointless. 

He's trying to pass a Constitutional Amendment to keep it at nine so that Democrats who at this moment discussing expanding that number with legislation, and then packing the Court with left-wing justices, cannot do so.  Because if the Democrats succeed at doing that, the concerns you listed are all going to get much worse.

Offline QueenCatofAragon

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2019, 01:09:02 pm »
You've got your facts wrong.

Rubio is not trying to pass legislation to keep the Supreme Court at 9.  That would indeed be pointless. 

He's trying to pass a Constitutional Amendment to keep it at nine so that Democrats who at this moment discussing expanding that number with legislation, and then packing the Court with left-wing justices, cannot do so.  Because if the Democrats succeed at doing that, the concerns you listed are all going to get much worse.

Exactly.  More and more leftists are talking about this, and it’s gaining a foothold.  I give Rubio credit for recognizing the threat and getting out front to stop it.
I say this to Beto fans, Trump fans, all fans of politicians: it is un-American, ridiculous, and dangerous to be a fan of a politician. They aren't pop stars. Support them if you agree with their policies. Criticize them when they go wrong. They are servants, not celebrities. —— Matt Walsh