Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 34394 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Young people often have ridiculous desires, like chasing their passions and dreams. When tiny ones in your life tell you they want to be scientists and astronauts etc do you tell them they should chase their dreams, or that they should be more practical and look for an AC repair or welding job?

It depends how:
1. intelligent they are
2. driven they are
3. creative they are
etc.

Offline RoosGirl

Easy to say when you were part of the most privileged generation in the history of the world.

It is easy for me to say, but I had great, first hand examples of hard working, blue-collar adults in my family that didn't let me get away with being lazy in my school work.  That then allowed me to work hard getting my engineering degree and then work hard getting a job and keeping that job.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Easy to say when you were part of the most privileged generation in the history of the world.

Hey @RoosGirl  Now you have generational on top of your white privilege!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline RoosGirl

Hey @RoosGirl  Now you have generational on top of your white privilege!

Yeah, but I can minus 1 for being a woman.  Hell, I can probably minus 2 for that these days.  :tongue2:

Offline musiclady

Young people often have ridiculous desires, like chasing their passions and dreams. When tiny ones in your life tell you they want to be scientists and astronauts etc do you tell them they should chase their dreams, or that they should be more practical and look for an AC repair or welding job?

That was a ridiculous response to what I said.

Go back, read it again, think about it, and then try replying with something thoughtful and not stupid.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
That was a ridiculous response to what I said.

Go back, read it again, think about it, and then try replying with something thoughtful and not stupid.

Today is Troll day at Dex's place.  He's on SoCons today.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline mirraflake

I work in employee benefits.

Nearly all my group clients  across the board say millenials are are the most entitled, selfish, lazy, drugged out  group they have ever had to hire. Not all, there are many ambitious, hard working millenials.

Many of these groups are hiring older folks and keeping their baby boomer employees happy with bonus and extra pay and perks so they don't leave.

Offline mirraflake

Yeah, but I can minus 1 for being a woman.  Hell, I can probably minus 2 for that these days.  :tongue2:

+5 for being a woman. Woman have it made today. 85% of all dentistry, phamacy, veterinarian schools enrollements today are women and 65% of college students are now women.

Try being a straight white male in todays white collar job market. My nephew works for a marketing firm.. 14 people on his team, two white guys, rest are women/black and hispanics.

@RoosGirl

Offline RoosGirl

+5 for being a woman. Woman have it made today. 85% of all dentistry, phamacy, veterinarian schools enrollements today are women and 65% of college students are now women.

Try being a straight white male in todays white collar job market. My nephew works for a marketing firm.. 14 people on his team, two white guys, rest are women/black and hispanics.

@RoosGirl

Yeah, now, but not when I graduated from high school.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
A lot of millennials should have gone to trade school instead of college, and they'd be doing just fine.
In a lot of cases I believe this also. College has turned into one of the biggest wealth siphons in America with in many cases absolutely no return for the money paid. I would lay this firmly at the feet of the liberal administrators that created Bolshevik classes and degrees that are totally worthless to the students and society as a whole. There are many well paying trades that are open to both men and women but all our children are sold a false agenda in lower education that they all must go to college or university to be successful all the while they are there they accrue an almost insurmountable debt.

Student loans in their current form, I believe, were developed to enrich the loan companies and the universities while ensnaring our children, why else would the liberals continually dangle the bait of student loan forgiveness, if the debtors would only vote them into power?   

Too many students pay astronomical sums only to receive 

Oceander

I’m not sure why there’s such a beat-up on @Dexter on this thread; he hasn’t said anything particularly worth that treatment.  And is anyone going to deny that it is harder to get a start from the very bottom than it was 20 or 30 years ago?  Those sorts of jobs are a lot fewer than they used to be, for lots of reasons. 

I would also add a vote in favor of greater attendance at trade schools as opposed to going direct to college. 

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
It depends how:
1. intelligent they are
2. driven they are
3. creative they are
etc.
@RoosGirl
How dare you respond to emotion with common sense!   :tongue2: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Offline thackney

Millennials were born into an America that's hard to get by in when you're starting from the bottom. They didn't ask for that; they had no choice. Blaming them for struggling is cruel and unfair.

If they accepted the same standard of living common for someone starting out a generation or two ago, there would be no problem at all starting out.

But when big screen TV's and the like are considered basic necessities, it is no wonder you start with a struggle.  What percentage of their salary goes to the vehicle compared to a couple decades ago?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Oceander

If they accepted the same standard of living common for someone starting out a generation or two ago, there would be no problem at all starting out.

But when big screen TV's and the like are considered basic necessities, it is no wonder you start with a struggle.  What percentage of their salary goes to the vehicle compared to a couple decades ago?

In case you haven’t noticed, prices for most vehicles have gone up since you started out several decades ago. 

There is certainly truth to both sides of the argument here, but @Dexter is not just whistling Dixie here. 

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39

Young people chasing their "passions and dreams" is a common theme among generations going back to well before America was founded.

This generation is experiencing nothing new that hasn't been encountered in generations past where that is concerned.

The only difference now is we have a society that believes in mollycoddling it's young people and protecting them from ever hearing a harsh word, losing a youth sporting game ever having to know what it's like to pick yourself up after you've failed.  They are wrapped in bubble wrap and when it's time for them to go their own way and the protective cocoon comes off...they are totally lost.

It's no wonder they run back home.  Today's society has made them soft and incapable...with some exceptions...of functioning without mom and dads help. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 09:14:45 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Young people don't struggle like they do here in places like Sweden.

Struggling, failing and succeeding is necessary to become a full mature human. 

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Yet it's still expected a lot of the time, and a lot of young people are suffering a lot because of it. Young people work ridiculously hard. Suggesting otherwise is an insult.

I've employed quite a few millennials.  I know they think they do, but they really, really don't know what hard work is.

Offline musiclady

In case you haven’t noticed, prices for most vehicles have gone up since you started out several decades ago. 

There is certainly truth to both sides of the argument here, but @Dexter is not just whistling Dixie here.

You can still get cheap vehicles if you're willing to drive something that isn't 'cool.'  You can also live without smart TV's, the latest I phones and numerous other items that millennials tend to think they can't live without.

When we got started more than 40 years ago, we did without a whole host of things that our parents had because they had worked hard to earn them.  We bought a home for $37,000, went down to one car, and when we ran out of food items, we waited until the next paycheck to buy them.  We never went out to eat either.

A lot of young folks are "house poor" because they buy homes they want and not homes they need.  Same with vehicles.

Most parents haven't taught their kids to live on the cheap and save money for the future.  Most kids now have the idea that they are entitled to things, and expect the government to do that for them.

I put the blame largely on indulgent parents and on schools and universities that have brainwashed most people under forty to be takers and not providers.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

Best post of the thread.

It's not a bad thing to struggle, but most young'ns believe it is because they are entitled to an easy life.  Part of that is complete ignorance of history and what previous generations lived without.

Offline goodwithagun

Here’s Mike Rowe on why you SHOULD NOT follow your passion:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CVEuPmVAb8o
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

@Dexter I'll be very interested in what you think of Rowe's argument.

Offline goodwithagun

I’m at the tail end of GenX so the millennials are right behind me. The best thing my parents ever let me do was fall on my ass and then let me pick myself up.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

And wages have gone up.  And, Heaven forbid, people can buy used cars.  Craigslist right this moment has a ton of cars for well under $5k.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Dexter I'll be very interested in what you think of Rowe's argument.

Me too.  I doubt Mr Mike is one he agrees with.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

Meh, took Mike 5 dang minutes to say what I said in 4 lines.  :laugh: