Author Topic: More millennials are moving back home - and it's making everyone depressed:  (Read 34537 times)

Offline Dexter

• User banned for personal attacks. --CL
It's simply unrealistic to not openly acknowledge that millennials are struggling more than the generations that preceded them for reasons that are not their fault. The "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps." solutions are kind of eye roll worthy considering none of you have any idea what it's like to start out in the world today. Of course they have to just deal with it, and they will, but you're kind of missing the point.

@Oceander

Mad respect for being the only person thus far to even acknowledge the struggles of young people.
"I know one thing, that I know nothing."
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

It's simply unrealistic to not openly acknowledge that millennials are struggling more than the generations that preceded them for reasons that are not their fault. The "Pull yourself up by your bootstraps." solutions are kind of eye roll worthy considering none of you have any idea what it's like to start out in the world today. Of course they have to just deal with it, and they will, but you're kind of missing the point.

@Oceander

Mad respect for being the only person thus far to even acknowledge the struggles of young people.

You poor, poor baby.

Offline goodwithagun

@Oceander

Yeah, the millennial struggle is real  *****rollingeyes*****
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline mirraflake

No one forced him to buy that expensive of a car to begin with.  He could have paid half what he did for that car and when it was totaled been able to afford another car.  Perhaps he spent more than he should have to begin with.  Shit happens.

Those less expensive cars tend to be mechanical money traps/pits. Always needing something that nickels and dimes you to death. There is usually a reason cars are traded in.

Some people need dependable transportation for work.

I also would not want my wife  to be driving a less expensive car if her daily commute took her through Detroit, Philadephia or the  inner city of DC

Oceander is right. My wife hit a embankement on the hwy in her 7 year old Camaro a few years back. Both from airbags inflated and they totaled the car.  She had full coverage and the amount they gave her could not buy her a car that equaled her current ride.  She ended up buying a new Camaro SS. Insurance co's really screw people when the cars are over 3-4 years old.

@RoosGirl
@Oceander
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:22:34 pm by mirraflake »

Oceander

You poor, poor baby.

You ignorant stuck-up prig.

That solves a lot, doesn’t it?  Now we’ve a more or less mutual exchange of insults.

Oceander

Those less expensive cars tend to be mechanical money traps/pits. Always needing something that nickels and dimes you to death. There is usually a reason cars are traded in.

I also would not want my wife  to be driving a less expensive car if her daily commute took her through Detroit, Philadephia or the  inner city of DC

Oceander is right. My wife hit a embankement on the hwy in her 7 year old Camaro a few years back. Both from airbags inflated and they totaled the car.  She had full coverage and the amount they gave her could not buy her a car that equaled her current ride.  She ended up buyin a new a new Camaro SS

@RoosGirl
@Oceander

Exactly.  And it’s not playing the victim card to simply acknowledge that some things have become significantly more expensive, which makes it incrementally harder to stay on your feet if you’re just starting out.

Offline Dexter

You poor, poor baby.

I could probably retire in a handful of years if I really wanted to and was willing to make some quality of life sacrifices. I'm not complaining about my own situation. I've done well for myself so far, but not everybody is as lucky as me.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

Oceander is right. My wife hit a embankement on the hwy in her 7 year old Camaro a few years back. Both from airbags inflated and they totaled the car.  She had full coverage and the amount they gave her could not buy her a car that equaled her current ride.  She ended up buyin a new a new Camaro SS

@RoosGirl
@Oceander

We're all talking past each other.  I don't think anyone disagrees that cars are more expensive now than they used to be.  My point has been that the Millennial friend purchased unwisely.  Yes, older cars have more cost than new cars on general repairs, but you can mitigate that by:
1) knowing what you're buying
2) learning to do the work yourself
3) understanding that not all things are necessary to repair; a rear window going up and down perhaps, or turn signals for our Northern friends.

Offline RoosGirl

You ignorant stuck-up prig.

That solves a lot, doesn’t it?  Now we’ve a more or less mutual exchange of insults.

That's nice of you to take personally something I said to Dexter.  So sweet.

Offline RoosGirl

I could probably retire in a handful of years if I really wanted to and was willing to make some quality of life sacrifices. I'm not complaining about my own situation. I've done well for myself so far, but not everybody is as lucky as me.

Oh, you were just lucky?  You didn't work hard for it huh?  Didn't make any quality of life sacrifices that you chose to make that others could choose just like you did and perhaps be in the same situation?  It was just dumb luck that you're in the position you are?

Offline RoosGirl

Exactly.  And it’s not playing the victim card to simply acknowledge that some things have become significantly more expensive, which makes it incrementally harder to stay on your feet if you’re just starting out.

6.5% increase in wages versus 10% increase in price of cars.  That is not "significant".

Offline goodwithagun

We're all talking past each other.  I don't think anyone disagrees that cars are more expensive now than they used to be.  My point has been that the Millennial friend purchased unwisely.  Yes, older cars have more cost than new cars on general repairs, but you can mitigate that by:
3) understanding that not all things are necessary to repair; a rear window going up and down perhaps, or turn signals for our Northern friends.

Exactly. May I add that if car ownership is too difficult then this millennial has more problems than he thought.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:34:24 pm by goodwithagun »
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Exactly. May I add that if car ownership is too difficult then this millennial has more problems than he thought.

I still have my first brand new car I bought.  It's a 1999.  I know I have paid less in repairs over the almost 20 years than I would have buying 3 new cars that most people would have bought in the same amount of time, even used ones.

Offline goodwithagun

That’s nice that your life, livelihood, and future are based on luck. Mine is based on hard work and sacrifice. Many unlucky things have happened to me and I’ve chosen to pull up my bootstraps and overcome those situations. I know you posted that pulling up ones bootstraps is silly, but the reality is that it works. Complaining about the results of ones own choices does not work.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Millennial friend bought a used car, well within his budget.  So he didn’t choose unwisely there. 

Millennial friend knew the car he was buying, and it was mechanically sound.  So he didn’t choose unwisely there. 

Millennial friend got caught in a snowstorm on his way to work - he had, and has, a good job, so he chose wisely there, too - and had a weather-related accident.  Weather-related accidents have been around as long as cars have been around, so his choice was no more less wise than the choices made by earlier generations. 

Millennial friend’s otherwise mechanically sound car was treated as a total because the cost to replace the airbags, plus the costs to repair the other damage, exceeded 75% of the cars value, in line with how most insurance companies work. 

That meant that millennial friend could either take the payout, and turn in the car, ending up with no car, or he could have kept the car and either ended up with an undrivable car, or gone out of pocket $6,000 to replace the airbags. 

It is almost impossible to find an inexpensive, reliable used car that does not have airbags, and the cost to replace airbags does not decrease as the car ages.  Millennial friend’s choice was not unwise here because he had no choice. 

The sine qua non here is the almost universal presence of airbags in cars, and the high expense of replacing them if they go off. 

That was not an issue back in the day when most of the rest of us grew up.  My first car was a 1971 Plymouth Scamp, and when I got into my first weather-related accident, it cost me less than $100 and an afternoon at the junk yard swapping fenders to get it roadworthy again.  I didn’t have to also pay several thousand dollars to replace airbags. If airbags had been around at the time, I would have been SOL because I could not have paid to replace them, even if I did the work myself. 

Offline Dexter

Oh, you were just lucky?  You didn't work hard for it huh?  Didn't make any quality of life sacrifices that you chose to make that others could choose just like you did and perhaps be in the same situation?  It was just dumb luck that you're in the position you are?

I don't want to sound like an elitist but you're making it hard. I think I'm very lucky to be who I am. A lot of people are not very smart, and some people simply had less opportunities. It's not fair for me to judge others based on my own experiences in the world. Young people are struggling a lot, and while they definitely could take steps to mitigate that, the point remains that things are simply harder now. More people are finding it more and more difficult to succeed.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 11:43:18 pm by Dexter »
-Socrates

Oceander

That’s nice that your life, livelihood, and future are based on luck. Mine is based on hard work and sacrifice. Many unlucky things have happened to me and I’ve chosen to pull up my bootstraps and overcome those situations. I know you posted that pulling up ones bootstraps is silly, but the reality is that it works. Complaining about the results of ones own choices does not work.

I don’t think he was saying that what he has he got solely by luck.  I think he used it more in the sense that so far his hard work has been up to the challenge and he hasn’t been handed a set back that was more than he could handle. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I don't want to sound like an elitist but you're making it hard. A lot of people are not very smart, and some people simply had less opportunities. It's not fair for me to judge others based on my own experiences in the world. Young people are struggling a lot, and while they definitely could take steps to mitigate that, the point remains that things are simply harder now. More people are finding it more and more difficult to succeed.

So you are an elitist...BFD,  Own it. 

It sure was big of you to come slum it at TBR today. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goodwithagun

I still have my first brand new car I bought.  It's a 1999.  I know I have paid less in repairs over the almost 20 years than I would have buying 3 new cars that most people would have bought in the same amount of time, even used ones.

Mine is 12 and I’d like to get 15 years out of it. I’m researching SUVs. I will buy used, probably two years old, and then probably hand it down to my 10 year old when he turns 16. Now that I think about my baby turning 16  8888crybaby

Anyway, I’m rooted in reality so I know that modern vehicles are more expensive to repair. Seriously, how is anybody surprised by this? Anyway, that’s why I research and decide how much to spend on something.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Millennial friend bought a used car, well within his budget.  So he didn’t choose unwisely there. 

Millennial friend knew the car he was buying, and it was mechanically sound.  So he didn’t choose unwisely there. 

Millennial friend got caught in a snowstorm on his way to work - he had, and has, a good job, so he chose wisely there, too - and had a weather-related accident.  Weather-related accidents have been around as long as cars have been around, so his choice was no more less wise than the choices made by earlier generations. 

Millennial friend’s otherwise mechanically sound car was treated as a total because the cost to replace the airbags, plus the costs to repair the other damage, exceeded 75% of the cars value, in line with how most insurance companies work. 

That meant that millennial friend could either take the payout, and turn in the car, ending up with no car, or he could have kept the car and either ended up with an undrivable car, or gone out of pocket $6,000 to replace the airbags. 

It is almost impossible to find an inexpensive, reliable used car that does not have airbags, and the cost to replace airbags does not decrease as the car ages.  Millennial friend’s choice was not unwise here because he had no choice. 

The sine qua non here is the almost universal presence of airbags in cars, and the high expense of replacing them if they go off. 

That was not an issue back in the day when most of the rest of us grew up.  My first car was a 1971 Plymouth Scamp, and when I got into my first weather-related accident, it cost me less than $100 and an afternoon at the junk yard swapping fenders to get it roadworthy again.  I didn’t have to also pay several thousand dollars to replace airbags. If airbags had been around at the time, I would have been SOL because I could not have paid to replace them, even if I did the work myself.

You're still stuck on thinking that the only solution he had was to pay for the airbag replacement.  There is also the alternative a buying another car within the budge of the payout he got from the insurance.  Nope, might not be as nice as the one he totaled, but like I said, shit happens.  Not that it doesn't suck, it does.

Offline goodwithagun

You're still stuck on thinking that the only solution he had was to pay for the airbag replacement.  There is also the alternative a buying another car within the budge of the payout he got from the insurance.  Nope, might not be as nice as the one he totaled, but like I said, shit happens.  Not that it doesn't suck, it does.

Or choose to pay a higher insurance premium for full coverage.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Oceander

Mine is 12 and I’d like to get 15 years out of it. I’m researching SUVs. I will buy used, probably two years old, and then probably hand it down to my 10 year old when he turns 16. Now that I think about my baby turning 16  8888crybaby

Anyway, I’m rooted in reality so I know that modern vehicles are more expensive to repair. Seriously, how is anybody surprised by this? Anyway, that’s why I research and decide how much to spend on something.

It’s not a question of not researching it or being surprised by it.  It is a question of a non-negotiable expense being built into cars that will always be sprung if the car is in an accident that is enough to deploy the airbags, which isn’t very hard to do. 

Offline Dexter

So you are an elitist...BFD,  Own it. 

It sure was big of you to come slum it at TBR today.

Whatever dude. You sound insecure right now.
-Socrates

Offline RoosGirl

I don't want to sound like an elitist but you're making it hard. I think I'm very lucky to be who I am. A lot of people are not very smart, and some people simply had less opportunities. It's not fair for me to judge others based on my own experiences in the world. Young people are struggling a lot, and while they definitely could take steps to mitigate that, the point remains that things are simply harder now. More people are finding it more and more difficult to succeed.

Hey Dex, are you not old enough to have figured out that people are different?  I know they stopped allowing you kids to believe that in public school, but it's true.  People are different, they have different strengths and talents.  Some people are smart, some people are creative, some people are beautiful, some people have amazing talent, some people are dumb.  There's nothing wrong with you using your strengths and talents in a way that benefits you.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Whatever dude. You sound insecure right now.

*****rollingeyes*****

Trolling much?  FYI, that was trolling.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: